PDA

View Full Version : Flaxseed oil.

MissHair
April 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Just bought my first flaxseed oil. I wanted to stop using Omega Fish-oils because I didn't want to contribute to the salmon fish farms anymore. I love being eco-friendly to nature and my hair. :p

Question: does anyone here apply this oil topically? And if so, have you noticed any difference in terms of growth rate and shine/thickness?

Othala
April 16th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I have applied flaxseed oil to my hair but did not like it. I found it to be a drying oil and it make my hair stiff and tangled. I discovered that it is the same thing as linseed oil that I used when I was oil painting. I also found that it went rancid very quickly on the hair, but that may be because it was cold-pressed.

I think it's great that you are making an ethical choice not to contribute to salmon farming. May I suggest you look up Hemp Seed oil as this has a fantastic omega 3/6/9 profile and it is good for you internally and applied on your hair. I have used it and love it.

hototogisu
April 16th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Don't apply flaxseed topically!! It's a drying oil and will build up horribly. Take it as you'd take fish oil. Good luck!

clairenewcastle
April 16th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I'd problems with my hair when I put flaxseed oil on it - my hair went stringy and it was very difficult to wash out.

thirstylocks
April 16th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I have applied it to the ends of my hair for a couple of hours and then washed it out. I found that it smelled good and made my hair soft ??? My hair is naturally quite dry but I liked this oil.

But after reading these responses I'm a little worried!

Sillage
April 16th, 2012, 11:45 AM
It's true that linseed is a drying oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drying_oil) in that it forms a film after being exposed to air. However, IME you can wash out the residue just fine with a sulfate shampoo (which I know is not an option for everyone). I love rosehip seed oil which is a drying oil and use it on my hair all the time. I've never had a problem with build up as I use a sulfate shampoo once a week or once every two weeks. If you hair likes it, use it!

Sillage
April 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM
IMay I suggest you look up Hemp Seed oil as this has a fantastic omega 3/6/9 profile and it is good for you internally and applied on your hair. I have used it and love it.

I love hemp oil too but jsyk, it is considered a drying oil (iodine value of 165).

Fethenwen
April 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I would not put it in my hair, I'm taking it internally too. I sometimes take hemp seed oil, but I ran out of it and it's quite expensive.

There are differences in flaxseed oils, the high quality ones are really tasty and have been less exposed to oxygen. But even the highest quality ones are quite cheap compared to hemp or fish oil.

midsummernight
April 16th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I have a silly question. What is the difference between flaxseed gel and flaxseed oil? Are they the same?

Othala
April 16th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I love hemp oil too but jsyk, it is considered a drying oil (iodine value of 165).

Thank you Sillage. For a drying oil I find it a very rich and smooth emollient. I will bear in mind your warning though as any negative effects may not be seen for a while.

Sillage
April 16th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I have a silly question. What is the difference between flaxseed gel and flaxseed oil? Are they the same?

Flaxseed gel is made from boiling flax seeds in water. The gel it makes is sort of like egg white in consistency and people use it like a hair gel. It's totally different from flaxseed oil.

Thank you Sillage. For a drying oil I find it a very rich and smooth emollient. I will bear in mind your warning though as any negative effects may not be seen for a while.

In this situation the term "drying oil" only means that the oil forms a film when it dries, not that the oil itself is drying or not emollient. It's a confusing term and one I wish we didn't have to use. :(

SurferB
June 6th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Flax oil didn't work well for my hair either and I bought the best kind at Whole Foods. I was vegan for a year and my hair started falling out even though I followed a high raw foods, plant-based diet. Fish oil has helped sooo much in the last couple of months and I can already tell a difference.

SurferB
June 7th, 2012, 06:52 PM
BTW-- Spectrum fish oil supp are sustainable certified. They only use certain fish strictly.