PDA

View Full Version : self triming my hair, due to extreme thininness

blondecat
April 15th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Yeh, What that said :(

medical issues are wrecking my hair. ( Most likely cause - Cushings) :( :( :(

I grew it out to past my bum, but it was extremely thin and damaged.

I've just trimmed off 3 inches.

DD wants me to take off another 4 to get back to the thicker part.

This will bring it back to waist length.

I am concidering. I will sleep on the issue tonight, decide later ;)

What do you folks think? I could do with some advice.

:kitten:

furnival
April 15th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. :grouphug: I would suggest invoking the two-week rule- don't rush into anything. If you do decide to cut, I would cut an inch and see how it looks, and if necessary another inch until I was happy. There's no need to whack off loads at once. Do you have any pictures?

blondecat
April 15th, 2012, 04:31 AM
No, i dont have a working camersa ( last one died)

Ive taken off 3 inches, Not doing more at moment

blondecat
April 15th, 2012, 04:33 AM
As for the 2 week rule, ive mulled this over for about 3 months now,

blondecat
April 15th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Ill try get a good sunlight position in the morning and take a pic on skype.

Thats what the avi pic is.......... a skype pic

amybru
April 15th, 2012, 06:25 AM
hello, it might be better to just take the plunge and cut off that extra inch to get your hemline nice and thick, i had apl hair but it was terribly tapered so i had it cut back to shoulder length and then two months later it was back to apl anyway but only this time it was nice and thick, i would reccomend just cutting it now so you dont have to worry about it later, itll grow back soon enough anyway :)

Theobroma
April 15th, 2012, 07:41 AM
In your position I'd probably microtrim. Instead of a big four-inch chop I'd take off half or even all my growth once a month for a few months. That'll help thicken your hemline without the drastic change of losing several inches all at once.

Firefly
April 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I'm a fan of micro trimming myself. I did a big cut back years ago-- from waist to just under BSL (about 4" on me) and almost immediately regretted it. I missed my length!

Then last year when I wanted to get rid of the last of my damaged ends (about 2") I micro trimmed and noticed improvement in a surprisingly short period of time. The micro trimming helps keep the ends feeling nice (and looking better) even if they are damaged. The damage is all gone now, and I'm really glad I went with the micro trimming this time around.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Anywhere
April 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I'd say do the microtrimming, or cut off your monthly growth every month to maintain for a few months.

I cut off 4" semi-recently because of extreme thinness, from TB to almost waist. I'd have to cut up to BSL if I wanted a "thick" hemline, but I think microtrimming would be best since you can grow while you thicken up.

lapushka
April 15th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Hugely in favor of microtrimming too. I don't think you'll be happy cutting a huge chunk off, considering you've been mulling this over for months!

spidermom
April 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Another vote for small trims regularly.

summergreen
April 15th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Agree with microtrimming!

HintOfMint
April 15th, 2012, 10:49 AM
It depends on how you wear your hair on a daily basis.

If you wear your hair up, then yeah micro trims or small trims are the way to go. You don't have to lose any length and you can let the thickness catch up.

If you wear your hair down, then I would go for a bigger cut to get thick ends immediately. I just don't see the point in walking around with hair that you're less than proud of, ya dig?

dragonette@1
April 15th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I am also a big fan of micro-trimming. I just wish I was a bit more patient, as I wait for my dry, damaged hair to grow out and be trimmed off! Maintaining just below BSL for now, with monthly microtrims

ElusiveMuse
April 15th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Microtrimming for sure. And if you don't usually, start wearing your hair up until you've made some progress with the trims and then you won't notice it as much.

jeanniet
April 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
While I'm usually a big fan of microtrimming, in this case I think what's most important is making you feel good about your hair. If you cut back to waist, will it look healthy and full all down the length? And if so, will that make you feel better? If having fuller, but shorter hair will give you a bit of a mental boost, then I'd cut back to waist. If not, then do the microtrims and see if that helps to thicken your hemline.

swearnsue
April 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
While I'm usually a big fan of microtrimming, in this case I think what's most important is making you feel good about your hair. If you cut back to waist, will it look healthy and full all down the length? And if so, will that make you feel better? If having fuller, but shorter hair will give you a bit of a mental boost, then I'd cut back to waist. If not, then do the microtrims and see if that helps to thicken your hemline.

I second what jeannie t says!