PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus Bun Question

Tea Lady
April 14th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I was watching two videos on how to do the nautilus bun. I understand it except for the last part - do you just leave the ends of the hair sticking out the middle? Or are they tucked away somehow that I missed? Because it looks like The hand that goes through the wrapped hair is supposed to grab the ends and pull them through? Or is my vision just really terrible viewing hair videos?!

Thanks, Tea Lady

AnqeIicDemise
April 14th, 2012, 11:36 PM
The ends are tucked in. When you loop the ends around, wind it so that the ends are closest to the scalp after however many turns you need. I used to wind up, ends going toward my fingers at first, then I'd wind up with quills all over the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-BQ5OMV2Y

Watch at 0:36.. she's coiling the ends under the first coil.

ETA: It also depends whether you fold up or down around the hands. I get more give with my WSL hair when I wrap the fold downward like in the first video. In this second one, she's winding the hair up; I noticed this way it eats up more length on my hair.

Also, start watching at 47 seconds, she's winding the hair under itself so the ends get tucked in against the scalp and trapped under the top coils. This camera angle shows what I mean much clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5gTy1gCyqE

Hiriel
April 14th, 2012, 11:38 PM
You wrap the ends around the base of the first loop, and you then pull the whole "lump" in the center, including ends, partially through the loop. The ends should end up hidden, so that whatever sticks out does so under the loop, rather than through it.

Clear as mud..?

Have you seen hypnotica's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-BQ5OMV2Y&feature=channel&list=UL)? I like it a lot, best instructions I've seen.

AnqeIicDemise
April 14th, 2012, 11:43 PM
You wrap the ends around the base of the first loop, and you then pull the whole "lump" in the center, including ends, partially through the loop. The ends should end up hidden, so that whatever sticks out does so under the loop, rather than through it.

Clear as mud..?

Have you seen hypnotica's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-BQ5OMV2Y&feature=channel&list=UL)? I like it a lot, best instructions I've seen.

T-hee. I heart Hypnotica's videos. Haiboku's tend to have slightly better angles for me sometimes, though. I bounce between the two ladies.

fridgee
April 15th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Is it just me, or maybe I'm missing something, isn't the nautilus bun (and the Gibraltar bun) just another way of doing a lazy wrap, just constructing it the other way round? So in lazy wrap the 'outer coil' is already in place and the hair is then coiled underneath, while in the nautilus and Gibraltar the hair is coiled up and the outer coil then stretched over the rest of the wound up hair? Obviously the amount of twisting varies between the buns, but they seem a variation on a theme to me. :shrug:

Grillz
April 15th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Is it just me, or maybe I'm missing something, isn't the nautilus bun (and the Gibraltar bun) just another way of doing a lazy wrap, just constructing it the other way round? So in lazy wrap the 'outer coil' is already in place and the hair is then coiled underneath, while in the nautilus and Gibraltar the hair is coiled up and the outer coil then stretched over the rest of the wound up hair? Obviously the amount of twisting varies between the buns, but they seem a variation on a theme to me. :shrug:

That's what I was thinking too

Tea Lady
April 15th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Thank you all! I get it now and tried it. It is easy once you get the instructions. I just got hung up on not seeing where the ends go. I enjoyed Habioku's video with the classical music! I was able to see her demo more clearly, I think due to the lighting.

A follow up question: Why is this one called the Nautilus? I know there is the sea creature involved due to the shape, but to me a regular bun more resembles the sea creature. (Just curious!)

Thanks, Tea Lady

Arya
April 16th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Can someone explain the difference between the gibraltar, nautilus, lazy wrap, inside out and bee butt? They all look the same (and they all fall out immediately). Are any more secure than the other variations?

I will seriously pay someone to teach me how to anchor my hair in a secure manner. My hair laughs buns.

Teazel
April 16th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Can someone explain the difference between the gibraltar, nautilus, lazy wrap, inside out and bee butt? They all look the same (and they all fall out immediately). Are any more secure than the other variations?

I will seriously pay someone to teach me how to anchor my hair in a secure manner. My hair laughs buns.

Well the nautilus bun and the inside out bun are just different names for the same bun, if I remember correctly. The lazy wrap bun is basically a different technique to end up with a very similar form, except the length is wrapped around the outside, after the hairstick is inserted. The longer the hair, the bigger difference that makes.

The Gibraltar and bee butt are another kettle of fish: for one thing, they both require twisting, and they don't look anything like each other or the previous buns. The Gibraltar is formed just like a cinnamon bun, but the inside coil is then used like a brooch to pin the whole thing together. Hard to explain! The bee butt is a cinnamon bun with the coils pulled tight so the bun stands away from the head, rather than staying flat.

Er, hope that helps. :D

jessa
April 17th, 2012, 12:38 AM

I find that buns held with sticks or forks also fall out straight away when my hair is freshly washed. I always have to wait a few days until my hair is a little more oily.
I also find making the buns higher on the head help them to stay better. I hope this may help you a little.

Arya
April 17th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I find that buns held with sticks or forks also fall out straight away when my hair is freshly washed. I always have to wait a few days until my hair is a little more oily.
I also find making the buns higher on the head help them to stay better. I hope this may help you a little.

Still no dice. My hair was 2 days old and I tried about 6 different buns at work over the course of one shift. I can't get them to stick for more than 20 minutes.

QMacrocarpa
April 17th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Still no dice. My hair was 2 days old and I tried about 6 different buns at work over the course of one shift. I can't get them to stick for more than 20 minutes.
Do you have spin pins? I gave four to my slippery-haired niece, and she was pretty excited about how well they worked for her (I have grippy hair so I usually just wave a stick at it and it's good for the rest of the day...:D). I like spin pins best with braided buns.

A simple technique to add stability to a hairstick bun is to add an elastic to make an elastic slide (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34370229@N07/6561233847/) (sorry about the odd picture, I didn't think it would show up very well in an action shot). For me this can make a lazy wrap or nautilus last through dancing without needing to redo. With slipperier hair, I think the nautilus might work better than the lazy wrap with its ends that just get tucked in place and seem slither-prone. Here's a nautilus tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPYwKnT9SyQ) done with a flexi-8, which works similarly to an elastic slide.

There's no shame in reinforcing a hairstick bun with a discreet spin pin or two. Braiding first often helps. I do a "pinless" braided bun with a couple spin pins added for another style I can dance in with confidence.

fridgee
April 18th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I second spin pins! I use 2 spin pins to hold a cinnabun and a few days ago the bun withstood being slept on, worn all day at work, going for a 5k run and being slept on again without budging let alone needing to be redone. I would have left it in longer because it still looked the same as when I put in it except it was wash day by that point. I love those little spirals of metal.

Tea Lady
April 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Here's a nautilus tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPYwKnT9SyQ) done with a flexi-8, which works similarly to an elastic slide.

That looks lovely. Can anyone tell what size Flexi that is? I would imagine I would need a smaller one since the only hair it is going over is the middle part. I only have one Flexi and it is an extra large.

Tea Lady

ravenreed
April 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM
The lazy wrap, at least the way I do it, has less hair in the middle of the bun, the excess goes around the outside. With my nautilus, all the excess goes around the middle part, making it more stable. I chose the lazy wrap for smaller hair toys because there is less hair it has to grab. But for anything top heavy or slippery, it's nautilus all the way.

ETA: I really start the two buns the same. I don't really do them like the videos I have seen. The only difference between them is where I put the ends of my hair.

Hiriel
April 18th, 2012, 11:31 AM
That looks lovely. Can anyone tell what size Flexi that is? I would imagine I would need a smaller one since the only hair it is going over is the middle part. I only have one Flexi and it is an extra large.

Tea Lady

It looks to me like it's medium or large. I use a large or extra large for my nautilus bun (I can use either, but my hair swallows the large a bit. It still holds though, it just looks silly), but my hair is pretty thick. Here's a picture (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3722&pictureid=62750) of my nautilus bun held with a size large, it was taken two years and 8 inches ago, but I had approximately the same thickness of hair (4 inches).

QMacrocarpa
April 18th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Yup, it's a large. At the very beginning of the clip, it shows "L Flexi" at the upper left of the screen, I think she does that with all her Flexi-8 tutorials (http://www.youtube.com/user/frambuesa55?feature=watch).

Tea Lady
April 18th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks!

Tea Lady

P.S. Hiriel, I love your style with the accent braids - very inspiring!

Arya
April 18th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Well the nautilus bun and the inside out bun are just different names for the same bun, if I remember correctly. The lazy wrap bun is basically a different technique to end up with a very similar form, except the length is wrapped around the outside, after the hairstick is inserted. The longer the hair, the bigger difference that makes.

The Gibraltar and bee butt are another kettle of fish: for one thing, they both require twisting, and they don't look anything like each other or the previous buns. The Gibraltar is formed just like a cinnamon bun, but the inside coil is then used like a brooch to pin the whole thing together. Hard to explain! The bee butt is a cinnamon bun with the coils pulled tight so the bun stands away from the head, rather than staying flat.

Er, hope that helps. :D

Yeahhh I do have spin pins. I was just hoping to be able to put them to rest. They're the only thing that holds buns in, and I'd like to be able to use regular pins or a hairstick or a ficcare/fakkare for once. Spin pins dig into my head after a while.