PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else find stretching washes with short hair very difficult?

Miss Catrina
April 14th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I have a pixie cut and I'm about ready to give up on stretching washes. The best I can do is every 3rd day, and even that is gross and unpleasant.

There's just no way to hide it at this length. No using it as a positive to make a nice slicked back updo... just greasy tufts of hair making windows to my scalp.

Does it get easier with longer hair? I'm wondering if I should just give up until it's at least long enough for a ponytail. I'm so much happier if I wash at least every other day.

lapushka
April 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Does it get easier with longer hair? I'm wondering if I should just give up until it's at least long enough for a ponytail. I'm so much happier if I wash at least every other day.

It does get easier with longer hair, but even chin length might be a challenge for stretching washes. I think, for me, it got better at around APL and past that point. When your hair's shorter, greasy roots really stand out. When it's a lot longer, somehow it doesn't show up that much and you can still manage an updo of some sort to hide it instead of washing it a day earlier.

oktobergoud
April 14th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I have chin length hair and I find it annoying! I can go to every 4 days max.. but then I'll have to find a way to pin up my hair. Otherwise it looks gross and flat. I feel like, with short hair, greasiness is hidden less easily. Like if my hair gets oily, it will lay flat and dull. Like my entire hair will look out of shape? :P

I don't know if that makes sense, I guess I should go to bed :P

But yes, I feel your pain!

(Way too many 'like', I honestly didn't just watch a 'The Hills' marathon or something. Like, I never like, watched that even! :P)

battles
April 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Yes. Definitely.

I can hit 2-3 days at nearly APL, but before that I've never been able to stretch washes.

QMacrocarpa
April 14th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Yep, it seemed more possible for me as my hair got longer. With a chin-length curly bob, I was washing twice a week. At APL or so I went to once a week, and now at BSL or so I'm at about 10 days. On the bright side, with a short cut at least it dries fast! :D My main peeve about washing it is having wet hair afterward. :p

Laylah
April 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I don't see the need to stretch washes with pixie length hair. After all, the purpose of stretching washes is to prevent 1) dryness from shampooing and 2) damage from manipulating wet hair. At pixie length, the sebum can easily coat all the length of the hair, unlike long hair, where it only goes to about chin and the length/ends of the hair can get dry. Short hair won't get damaged when wet too, because it won't tangle much, if at all, so detangling should be a breeze. If I were you I wouldn't bother stretching washes until my hair got to the length where it gets dry/tangled after washing. Hope this helps! :)

jeanniet
April 14th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Don't stretch washes if you're not happy with how your hair looks! Instead, look at ways you can wash without stressing your hair too much. If you're using shampoo, reduce the amount and dilute it. It's surprising how little shampoo you need if you have some water to help distribute it throughout your hair. Try starting out with 1/2 teaspoon in about 4 oz. of water. If that's plenty, you can cut the shampoo even more. This method can also help you eventually stretch washes, because your scalp will get used to less shampoo.

Kittyxx
April 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I've never get on with stretching washes -_-
have you tried dry shampoo - there are some decent ones out there and a life savior during festival season - they get rid of greasyness but don't cause too much damage either

Hyacinth
April 14th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Yes, I find stretching washes really difficult. I try to alternate days with CO and washing. Hoping that it will get easier and I can stretch more as my hair gets longer. I'm at a bob length right now.

Miss Catrina
April 14th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Thank God it's not just me. I'll stop worrying about it until it's long.

MissHair
April 14th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I guess thats all because the sebum/oil produced in the scalp was enough to run down through the entire lenght. Whilst if we had superlong hair the sebum wouldn't reach the entire lenght in a matter of days. I experienced the same thing with short hair.

teela1978
April 14th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Even at waist length I can't go more than a couple of days without washing (and I've tried every trick in the book). Some scalps just produce more oil than others.

SunlightShines
April 14th, 2012, 07:35 PM
My hair is shoulder length with a lot of damage about 1/2 of the length and I still can't go without my daily wash. I've tried but it just doesn't work! I put conditioner on my length and only use a small dot of shampoo on my palm (SLS free) & soap my fingertips to use just on my scalp. After that I rinse really good & reapply conditioner from scalp to ends & leave on until I'm done with my shower. That way I get my clean hair & no damage! :D

alyanna
April 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Yes!

Mostly because I couldn't put my hair up and hide the greasiness. Absolutely out of the question to go longer than two days without washing.

icallitbliss
April 14th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I'm growing out a pixie and I have to wash my hair every day. It looks nasty and disgusting if I don't...like everything just lays all wrong.

hellucy
April 15th, 2012, 06:53 AM
When my hair is shorter than chin length I have to wash it virtually every day - it just seems to drop & feel lank & lifeless also sleeping on it makes it stick up in places and flatten in others so it looks messy & ridiculous. Combing or brushing just doesn't sort out the style. I found that when my hair was shorter hair washing every day didn't have any negative effects it's only as my hair got to shoulder length it started getting dry ends & I have now started stretching washes.