PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp problem.

cobden 28
April 14th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I hope someone on this forum can help me with my itchy scalp problem.

I have waist-length hair which I wash once a week, in the bath, and I have a scalp that's constantly itching and I don't know why! I use a supermarket's own-brand shampoo and conditioner which I try my best to rinse all the traces of shampoo/conditioner out of afterwards. We only have a bath at home - no shower - so I have to rinse my hair with water from a jug. I'm wondering if the reason my scalp itches is because I've not completely rinsed the shampoo/conditioner out.

I haven't got dandruff or nits - got my husband to check - so am puzzled as to why I feel the need to scratch, scratch, scratch all the time.

I will try to make even more sure all the traces of shampoo or conditioner are rinsed out, but is there any particular type of shampoo I could try that's particularly suitable for dry hair?:confused:

Othala
April 14th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'm experiencing scalp problems myself at the moment so I sympathise.

The only things I can suggest are that you change to a different shampoo and conditioner (maybe buy those small travel size bottles which are not so expensive) and then see if you still have the itching. If not, then it will confirm that the problem lies with your products, not the amount of rinsing.

The other thing I suggest is a final rinse comprising dipping your head into a basin of water in which a tablespoon of ACV has been added. If this works it could just be a case of a ph imbalance.

Good luck!

cobden 28
April 14th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I'm experiencing scalp problems myself at the moment so I sympathise.

The only things I can suggest are that you change to a different shampoo and conditioner (maybe buy those small travel size bottles which are not so expensive) and then see if you still have the itching. If not, then it will confirm that the problem lies with your products, not the amount of rinsing.

The other thing I suggest is a final rinse comprising dipping your head into a basin of water in which a tablespoon of ACV has been added. If this works it could just be a case of a ph imbalance.

Good luck!

Pardon my asking a silly question, but what's ACV?

Will certainly try other shampoo's - should I go for 'own brands' or the posh 'designer' brands, do you think? Certainly I'll have to stick to the travel sizes till I find the one that suits me the best!

katsrevenge
April 14th, 2012, 03:20 PM
ACv is apple cider vinegar.

One of the reasons I scratch is the bunches of sulfates in most shampoos and conditioners. Try reading the backs of the bottle to see what is in them.

http://beautytoptips.com/5/sulfate-free-shampoo/

midsummernight
April 14th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Does your shampoo or conditioner have cones? I used dove for years because it made my hair feel so smooth but I had an itchy scalp. I stopped using it and now my scalp isnt as itchy now.

cheetahfast
April 14th, 2012, 08:54 PM
What might help is massaging in a mix of tea tree oil, castor oil, and extra virgin olive oil into your scalp. I used to do it once or twice a month and it helped a lot. Make sure to only use a few drops of tee tree oil, if you do since it is strong.

Washing more often might help, but it sounds like it starts itching immediately, so probably not. Do you scalp massage really well while washing and inbetween washes?? Also, are you wearing a lot of crown braids? That is the one hair style that makes my scalp itch, it's so weird.

gazelle
April 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Itching may be caused by the ingredients in your shampoo. I cannot use my old sulphate shampoo any more, now I am using a milder shampoo and dilute it. My scalp is happier now

CO washing didn't work for me after a while, causing itchy and flaky scalp. Some of us have more sensitive skin than the others, so we cannot use everything

Roscata
April 15th, 2012, 12:14 AM
The others have given you good advice. If you want to look at more options here you go:

- Dry, itchy scalp treatments (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=6)
- Dry Skin, Dry Scalp and Dandruff (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=231)

Good luck! :)

Othala
April 15th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Will certainly try other shampoo's - should I go for 'own brands' or the posh 'designer' brands, do you think? Certainly I'll have to stick to the travel sizes till I find the one that suits me the best!

I think the thing to do, and it is a bit of a chore but logically the best way, is to write out the ingredients on the products you are currently using and take it to the shop with you. Then see what is on offer in the travel sizes that does not contain the same ingredients, certainly the first three or four ingredients in the products you are using should not be the same as the new products you purchase.

That way, you are not dousing your head with the same chemicals and getting the same result.

Hope I made sense!

Amethyste
April 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM
you might want to look into Oil of Oregano. Massaged onto the scalp seems to be very effective against itchiness.

Safira
April 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I would definetely at very first: deep cleanse scalp. There might be a possibility you have residue in your scalp. And very good rinse afterwards.
After that, I would definetely buy good shampoo at drug store and start with that.