PDA

View Full Version : Color Oops Damaging???

Mrsbaybeegurl
April 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone! I have a weird question lol I have heard from reading a few threads that Color Oops gets henna out. First let me say I LOVE LOVE my henna and really don't plan on stopping my henna treatments anytime soon, however I was wondering if it were possible to use Color OOps occationally so that when I re-henna, the color applies more evenly and stays more red/coppery than burgundy. Does this make sense?

I don't mind the burgandy but if applying color oops every now and then keeps the shade lighter I'de be happy with that change :) However if Color Oops would do damage I'de rather just pass completely. I have tried cinnamon lightening and honey before but I really don't want to have to do things 20 times to see a result and Color oops seems like one application, maybe every 6-8 months would be all that's necessary for what I am looking for.

Has anyone found color oops to be damaging? Have you noticed it effects your hair in the long run making it more likely to tangle, break or split?? If not do you think this would work on my hair that has been heavily henna'd for over two years??

carolinaberry
April 15th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I used Color Oops last year. It made my hair really...stretchy and weird feeling. I think it damaged it more than the bleach had from a while back.

I used Color Zap more recently and it wasn't damaging. It took out several sessions worth of black hair dye. I have no idea if it will work on henna. I had to buy it at Sally's.

leslissocool
April 15th, 2012, 12:37 AM
My hair had no damage from color ups. Like at all. And it lifted all the color, I did henna afterwards.

ladylowtide
April 15th, 2012, 12:43 AM
I used color oops to try and get black permanent dye out of my hair. Worst mistake I have ever made. In a word: crispy. The smell: rotting death. A couple of years earlier I lifted my hair from dark brown all the way to platinum blonde with four applications of bleach, my hair was in much a better state then, than after a used color oops. did I mention :( it turned my hair a horrible orangey yellow color.
I know I keep raging about color oops in the threads, but it was, for me, the worst thing I have ever done to my hair. By far.

carolinaberry
April 15th, 2012, 01:27 AM
My hair had no damage from color ups. Like at all. And it lifted all the color, I did henna afterwards.

This just proves everyone's hair reacts differently to everything. Haha. My guess is it also depends on exactly what was put into/done to the hair before.

sfgirl
April 15th, 2012, 01:54 AM
This just proves everyone's hair reacts differently to everything. Haha. My guess is it also depends on exactly what was put into/done to the hair before.

I agree. With most permanent color, it strips the hair and deposits dye. This actually plumps up your hair cuticle, from having the dye in it. When you remove the dye molecules, you're just left with the stripped hair. With henna, you'd be stripping out dye molecules but the hair hasn't been stripped so I think you'd have closer to your virgin texture. I believe henna thickens up your strand, so after color oops it might not be as thick.

morguebabe
April 15th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Hair reacts differently but it made my hair stink for weeks.
I used both Color Oops and Color Fix.
I think Color Fix worked better but I needed to do it twice. Color oops worked but stunk. I think I have a result vid on Youtube comparing the two.

SilverDoe
April 15th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I used Colour B4 extra strength this week, the european equivalent.
As it raises the hair cuticle to shrink the color molecules & later flush them out, it can cause more porous hair, especially if it's been chemically treated before.
Make sure to do a good lengthy deep treatment immediately after, and an ACV rinse to help close the cuticle.

I found that my hair was EXTREMELY dry, mostly from the 30 minute rinsing & sulfate shampooing. Many strands just broke clean off if I looked at it the wrong way.
3 moisture treatments & a few protein masks later, my hair is still acting odd. It feels over moisturized now, but has very low elasticity. :suspect:

Anyways, I think it CAN be damaging as it's soooo drying. But it's miles better than any kind of bleach that snapped my hair off completely.
Will use Colour B4 again once my hair feels better, to get all of my black permanent dye out. Hoping my har will forgive me & take well to the future henna.

Anywhere
April 15th, 2012, 06:30 AM
It wasn't damaging for me, I did 3 two and a half hour treatments. I shampooed 10 or so times the last time, left shampoo in my hair for 10~15 minutes, and rinsed, As long as I wasn't trying to "detangle" the ends while rinsing, my hair was fine. It felt a bit dry, but after 10 shampoos, I'd say that's reasonable. :p

The tiniest pea sized dot of Garnier Triple Nutrition pretty much completely solved that problem, surprisingly. A tiny dot like that would do almost nothing on my non-shampooed hair.

But I found my hair felt better after using Color Oops. It was like clarifying for me.

meteor
August 10th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I figured I should update this thread with an interesting post I found on Color Oops / Color B4 versus other color-removing products by cosmetic chemists from the Beauty Brains. It's a pity there isn't much information out there on the chemistry and the effect of dye removal on hair's condition, so I found the article pretty useful:
http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/08/does-hair-dye-removing-products-like-color-oops-really-work-episode-94/#comments

There are essentially 2 pathways for chemical dye removal. One is by oxidation (e.g. peroxide- and/or persulfate-based products), which removes electrons, and the other is by reduction (Color Oops/Color B4, hydrosulfite-based), which adds electrons.

The article suggests that not only oxidative products but also Color Oops might be damaging too, because the reducing agent it uses, hydrosulfite, converts to bisulfite during washing, and bisulfite (used in perms) can weaken the structure of hair.
And obviously, heavy wash cycles required after Color Oops applications can be a problem for hair, too (hygral fatigue and all the extra handling).

Also, it's not meant to work on non-oxidative dyes (e.g. henna, deposit-only temporary dyes) however I have seen reports of (partial) success with Color Oops/B4... :hmm:

RavenRose
August 10th, 2015, 07:46 PM
I used color oops on my Henna a couple months ago- it made my hair dry, which took a week or two to recover from, but the most noticeable thing for me was the fact that it made it more porous. My hair takes twice as long to dry now after a shower. Even after 2 months. Also It smells for weeks afterwards when wet. And many have had the henna Re-oxidize to the original color afterwards. For me It lightened it to a gold color, which soon darken to only a shade or two lighter than the Henna was originally. You might be better just using Henna on the roots, or glosses instead.

kjirstiben
August 10th, 2015, 08:10 PM
I used Color Oops several times over the course of a year or so to lighten up a very burgundy shade of henna that I was growing out. I found that during the course of treatment, my hair felt very weird (sticky/stretchy), and then afterward it was very dry (probably from all the rinsing, more than anything). However, a couple moisture treatments/oilings and even in Las Vegas, where I was living at the time, I didn't have a real problem with my hair.

And it did a good job -- my hennaed hair didn't lose the red completely, but went from deep burgundy to a more coppery strawberry-blonde color (my base color is dark blonde), and was much less noticeable in contrast to my virgin hair.

I do think that it probably did a bit of damage -- I had some split ends in that portion of my hair -- but that could have been old damage from the permanent dyes that I did before applying henna. One thing I did notice was that my hair, which had been thickened & strengthened (and slightly straightened) by the henna, returned to its finer, curlier, more fragile self after applying the Color Oops.

And the smell is horrible -- and sticks with you for weeks afterward, so if you do it, be prepared!

But all in all, I'd say that it was worth it to me -- I got back to my natural blonde and the red ends weren't nearly as weird-looking as they had been before the treatment.

turtlelover
August 10th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I used Ion Color Brilliance Color Remover. It smelled NASTY and contains formaldehyde, but it didn't damage my hair at all and did a pretty good job. I don't regret using it, but I don't think I'd want to do it twice a year to long hair.

Chocowalnut
August 10th, 2015, 10:33 PM
I have used color oops to remove henna. First of all, it does stink extremely bad because it has sulfur in it. I don't think it damaged my hair necessarily. However, it did make it very stretchy when I was washing it out, and it felt it was damaged at that point. I used a deep conditioning treatment after washing it out, and then when my hair dried it seemed much healthier and shinier than before that I even got a compliment on it. I guess it's because it opens the cuticle to wash all the color molecules out and then after using a deep conditioning treatment (in my opinion you must do this after) it seals it in. As for the color, I left it in for a few hours. It lightened my dark red brown henna to a coppery brown. Did not by any means get it all out. And then, it reoxidized back to a darker color anyways a week or two later.

RUNAWAYCHIC006
August 11th, 2015, 11:07 AM
I didn't realize there was a post for color oops. I used it over the weekend for indigo I applied to the ends of my hair. It didn't really work for me. Maybe faded the color slightly but I don't think I left it on long enough. My hair is slightly dry. I smelled like 1,000 rotten eggs. It was awful. By boyfriend came into the bathroom and asked me if I had been sitting in there farting for an hour.

meteor
August 11th, 2015, 11:31 AM
:hmm: Hmm, all these reports of stretchiness/stickiness when hair is wet but excessive dryness when hair is dry do sound quite a bit like damage (it's pretty standard feeling when bleach, perm solutions or relaxers were too strong), which seem to support what The Beauty Brains said about Color Oops (http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/08/does-hair-dye-removing-products-like-color-oops-really-work-episode-94/#comments). Stretchiness/gumminess is not typical texture for hair and should call for protein. :flower:

And just in case anybody is currently experiencing this, the best course of action is hydrolyzed protein treatment (to patch-repair and "fill"), followed by humectant-rich moisturizing one, followed by quite a bit of oil (to seal in moisture and reduce porosity).

cle90
August 11th, 2015, 02:26 PM
It RUINED my hair and turned it green AND orange. Absolute trashy product!