PDA

View Full Version : velcro/mushy patch!

afu
April 14th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I have a patch of hair at the back of my head which i think must be the result of a dodgy set of highlights from my hairdresser resulting in excess damage. The hair there feels kind of mushy and a bit like velcro when damp rather than being smooth like the rest and then more dry. I started CO washing a few weeks back and it seems much better but just occasionally seems bad again for no apparent reason. Any tips out there for how to combat this? i know the only way to get rid of it properly is to cut but as it's quite high up still id just appreciate some advice on improving it if possible until i can grow it out. thanks

luxepiggy
April 14th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Do you wash your hair standing up in the shower? If so, is the spot right around where your shower spray hits? Because I used to have a tangly patch right at the upper back portion of my head, and I finally realized my shower spray was ruffling it up. I moved the angle of my showerhead so it points more vertically towards the floor and the problem went away (^(oo)^)v

BeckyAH
April 14th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I have a patch of really strange hair (on my right side, nape hair line) that is occasionally rough, often tangly, and occasionally just plain weird/breakage prone, and wet feels strangely spongy.

Most of my hair is a 2c/3 a. That bit? is KINKY curly - like 4 something. It's more prone to being dry and is just awkward.

But it's always been there and is hidden underneath so I just ignore it entirely aside from throwing extra oil at it and being careful with detangling.

fridgee
April 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
'mushy' hair screams need for protein to me, although if it's only one patch and the rest of your hair is ok I don't know whether you should risk a protein treatment on your whole head in case the good hair gets overloaded. Would be odd to lack protein in just one spot :shrug:

afu
April 14th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Do you wash your hair standing up in the shower? If so, is the spot right around where your shower spray hits? Because I used to have a tangly patch right at the upper back portion of my head, and I finally realized my shower spray was ruffling it up. I moved the angle of my showerhead so it points more vertically towards the floor and the problem went away (^(oo)^)v

hmm, yes i do but unfortunatly my showerhead is in a fixed position. I'll try changing how i stand under it and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your input, i hadn't even considered that!

afu
April 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM
'mushy' hair screams need for protein to me, although if it's only one patch and the rest of your hair is ok I don't know whether you should risk a protein treatment on your whole head in case the good hair gets overloaded. Would be odd to lack protein in just one spot :shrug:

I don't use any protein treatments on my hair (to my knowledge!) just regular, cone-free conditioner and coconut oil. Are there any protein treatments you would recommend? and what risks/effects are there of a protein overload?

thirstylocks
April 14th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I don't use any protein treatments on my hair (to my knowledge!) just regular, cone-free conditioner and coconut oil. Are there any protein treatments you would recommend? and what risks/effects are there of a protein overload?

I have patches of dry brittle hair and I use APhogee protein treatment. I just tie all my hair up and put the treatment on the patches that need help. So far, its been working for me. It smells terrible but its very cheap.

fridgee
April 15th, 2012, 04:38 AM

I've never used a specific protein treatment, just shampoos/conditioners that happen to have protein in so can't really recommend anything in particular, but the aphogee recommended by thirstylocks seems popular. Protein overload can cause brittle hair, so just applying it to the affected area as thirstylocks does seems sensible. Always follow a protein treatment with a moisturizing conditioner/deep treatment because they can dry your hair out. :flower:

afu
April 15th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Thank you :)