PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons of life with a fringe/bangs

Laululintu
April 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I haven't had a fringe/bangs since I was 4 or 5 years old. Therefore, I don't remember what life was like when I did have them.

For about a year, I've been tempted by the idea, but I have no idea if it would suit my face or anything like that. I know I want a change from my straight, almost one length hair, and thought that a fringe would give me that, without having to sacrifice a large amoung of length over all.

KAggs
April 14th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Bangs/fringe have been a way for me to perk up a hairstyle every few years. Right now, I'm just trying to grow them out along with the majority of my layers. I feel like in the summer they are such a bother. BUT they can definitely do the trick to keeps the scissors away from my hair for bigger cuts.

mzBANGBANG
April 14th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I was dying to have a fringe last week, so I attempted to cut it myself. I ended up chickening out and now have side bangs, which is OK. I wasn't ready to bite the bullet I guess. I always remember how much I hate the feeling of hair on my forehead (I constantly push my hair back out of my face, so bangs would more than likely not work for me). But the reason I bring this up is I felt so new just by having side bangs/face framers. The hair felt really clean and it refreshed my look enough to feel good about it. Now I feel like I'm in a position where if I'd like to cut bangs, it's not a huge loss, and if I want to grow out my side bangs, they'll be shoulder length in 4 months. So I made a compromise :)

Also, there are clip-on bangs you can purchase just to try them out and see how you like them. I wish I had done this instead of cutting my side bangs.

BeckyAH
April 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Pros: I look better with them (my forehead is huge).

They get trimmed/cut regularly, so I can do things like use bleach/dye (I like my blue and purple), heat style them, without worry of damaging them. They're totally replace themselves every four to six months, so it really doesn't matter what I do to them, you know? They don't have to be around for the long haul.

Removes weight from my hair: I have thick hair. Enough so that it bugs me. Removing some bulk from the length of my hair is a plus.

Mistakes grow out quickly.

Cons: My bangs need washed more than my hair - they're against the skin on my face, so they get oily faster.

They *need* to be styled every day, if only straightening them with a brush and a blow dryer. I can not let them air dry or sleep on them or they go wild (I also have curly-ish hair).

If you don't like them, growing out can be a nightmare of annoyance.

If you have thinner hair, removing some of the thickness for bangs could be a con.

They need trimmed frequently, or I look like a sheep dog (see also: ravatar). It's easy to cut them too short, too, which can be awkward.

Knotted
April 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Pros
- I like how they frame my face
- I feel slightly more stylish with them (otherwise my straight hair just hangs. I feel like they add a bit of something).

Cons
- They get greasy fast
- If I don't comb them they right way when my hair is wet, they dry funny and are harder to fix

Laululintu
April 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Pros: I look better with them (my forehead is huge).

Removes weight from my hair: I have thick hair. Enough so that it bugs me. Removing some bulk from the length of my hair is a plus.

Cons: My bangs need washed more than my hair - they're against the skin on my face, so they get oily faster.

These are all points I've thought about myself. My forehead is the stuff of a family joke (it runs in the family) and could do with a little masking.
I have fairly thick hair, so I'm not so worried about the loss of volume from the length.

I don't think I'd be ready for a full on, straight-across, bulky fringe, though, as my face is round/square. My jaw doesn't need further enhancement :whistle:

Hmmm... Maybe something sideswept would work?

JellyBene
April 14th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Pros: they look so cute, they frame my face better than no bangs, don't have to tweeze my eyebrows so perfectly ;)
cons: wind, need I say more? they get greasy faster than the rest of my hair so I have to wash them more often

savannahlove
April 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Oh gosh, I had bangs forever, and I'm now in the process of growing them out. There were some benefits to them, but I don't miss 'em one bit!

Pros:

looked nice with my face
took some bulk away from my thickness
they were just cute in general

Cons:

got greasy amazingly quickly (which was accompanied by some nice forehead acne, ew)
needed heat to style
got in the way
annoying to grow out

Anywhere
April 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Based on my experience:

pros:
always having some sort of "style"
hiding my large forehead
giving me something to trim so I don't chop off my hair

cons:
requiring frequent washing
needing to be styled every day
can look too thin/oily at times
can look too fried and fluffy at times

jacqueline101
April 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM
My bangs grow quickly mistakes don't last long. I like to do them differently and have fun with them and they break up a large forehead. I also like them for up dos. Cons they collect sweat in the summer time. They do get greasy easy.

brave
April 14th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Pros: I love how they look on me -- I'm finally happy with the majority of pictures taken of me. Plus they took a LOT of bulk off the sides that I was having issue doing anything with.

Cons: shows grease or oil way faster. Gotta be careful when applying oils. I used to heat style them but I've been cutting them myself and have shaped them so I don't have to now.

torrilin
April 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM
To my mind, the one time to wear bangs is if doing so makes your eyes and nose and mouth pop out and look even bigger than they really are. (for most of this, this will never happen, coz our bone structure just isn't that strong)

It's not an actively bad look if you've got very vivid and prominent facial features, but most people end up looking invisible underneath a brick of hair. If you treat the bangs as a layer to be styled, it can look better (think Dita Von Teese's hair and features), but most people just don't put in that kind of effort on a day to day basis... and even if you do, those same looks can be done on quite long sections of hair. So if you are putting in effort regularly, and you want it to be easier, that's another good reason to cut bangs.

Bangs also don't really work to hide a high forehead. You're still gonna have a high forehead, just now it's covered in hair. We all know how nutty we can get thinking our hair is short... well, same thing goes for high foreheads, too large noses or any other feature we happen to latch on to. If your forehead is a bit prominent, chances are that's what makes your face look distinctive and elegant.

Bangs also take a lot of maintenance, even if you don't do them up in a style every day. They will need regular trims, usually every 2-3 weeks. If your hair grows fast or you wear glasses? More often. If I went back to bangs, it'd be trim every week.

BeckyAH
April 14th, 2012, 01:40 PM
To my mind, the one time to wear bangs is if doing so makes your eyes and nose and mouth pop out and look even bigger than they really are. (for most of this, this will never happen, coz our bone structure just isn't that strong)

It's not an actively bad look if you've got very vivid and prominent facial features, but most people end up looking invisible underneath a brick of hair. If you treat the bangs as a layer to be styled, it can look better (think Dita Von Teese's hair and features), but most people just don't put in that kind of effort on a day to day basis... and even if you do, those same looks can be done on quite long sections of hair. So if you are putting in effort regularly, and you want it to be easier, that's another good reason to cut bangs.

Bangs also don't really work to hide a high forehead. You're still gonna have a high forehead, just now it's covered in hair. We all know how nutty we can get thinking our hair is short... well, same thing goes for high foreheads, too large noses or any other feature we happen to latch on to. If your forehead is a bit prominent, chances are that's what makes your face look distinctive and elegant.

Bangs also take a lot of maintenance, even if you don't do them up in a style every day. They will need regular trims, usually every 2-3 weeks. If your hair grows fast or you wear glasses? More often. If I went back to bangs, it'd be trim every week.

There is a drastic difference in a high forehead and a big one. Lots of directions for that thing to go besides up. Like out.

ladylowtide
April 14th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Cons: greasy, annoying, eye poking, itchy, with glasses makes for too much on my face. makes my thin hair look even thinner
Pros: Majorly cutefying

whitedove
April 14th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Pro: I now longer get hair caught in glasses. Shades my eyes to keep sun out.
Con: I no longer have fun curls in my fringe, seems only waves in longer lengths.

Maelyssa
April 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Fringe can look amazing but can get frustrating in the wind or when you just really want to pull it all off your face. Decisions, decisions right?!

Laululintu
April 14th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Fringe can look amazing but can get frustrating in the wind or when you just really want to pull it all off your face. Decisions, decisions right?!

At the moment, my hair is pulled off my face all the time, and I sometimes look quite severe as a result. Even the shortest of the hair around my face is, at the moment, too long to look "right" when left out.

Also, I've got bobby pins and am not afraid to use them, for potential days when I want my hair out of my face ;)

My forehead is prominent (think Klingon-esque), rather than high. That's also one of the reasons why I haven't given a heavy fringe much thought, as it wouldn't look very good on my face. But I also have prominent cheekbones, full lips and nice eyes, so it's not like my face isn't without nice features too.

Idjit
April 14th, 2012, 04:23 PM
If you want to see how you would potentially look with bangs try to pin the front of your hair in sort of a faux bang. This is a good indication of how you would like it. Also, how do you look in hats?

I myself wanted bangs so badly that I just cut them one night and regretted it almost immediately. I've never looked good in hats and when I tried the whole faux bang thing it looked awful but I told myself it was just because I'm bad at pinning (which I am). I did it anyway though, so yeah.

But now I have cute side bangs that are almost to my chin. I will be so happy when I can tuck them behind my ear though. I hate hair on my face.

So...PROS
Could look cute
Gives a sense of style to unstyled or pulled back hair
Hides big foreheads
Grows out quickly (from bangs stage)

CONS
May cause acne
Needs frequent washing
Takes a long time to grow to the length of the rest of your hair
Could look goofy if not the right type for you

Sorry for my life story. Not sure what happened...

panffle
April 14th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I've had bangs pretty much ever since I was born. The few times I tried growing it out, I cut them back because I don't feel like myself if I don't have bangs. So, for me:

Pros:
I love how it looks
Softens updos, making them look cuter
Hides my forehead
Brings attention to the eye area

Cons:
Might need eventual heat styling when they look messy (I have blunt bangs and pinning it up might leave creases)
Pokes the eyes when getting long, however you can brush them and have sideswept bangs for a day
Depending on how fast the hair is growing, might need frequent trims
Can get greasy easily

Still for myself, I don't mind the cons that much as I've had bangs for so long I know what to do to 'mask' some of the problems it has.
But if you decide to go for it - have a professional cut it for you, at least on the first time. You can trim it at home afterwards anyway. And be very specific on your requests and keep an eye on it meanwhile so you know it is just the way you wanted (I know that a badly cut fringe might be discouraging since it doesn't look nice and takes days to get better)...

luckyshot
April 14th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I have always had bangs, and can't really imagine being without them.

Pros:
I look better with bangs
I can heat style them without worrying about damage, since they grow out so fast.
Gives me lots more style options.

Cons:
Need to be washed more often.
My hair is pretty thin, and having bangs means the length is even thinner.

I cut my bangs straight across my forehead, right at eyebrow level. I can wear them straight across, or swept to the side. I can also pin them back in a little poof, pin them to the side, twist them, braid them, etc. I've never had a problem keeping them out of my face if I need to. I usually blow dry them, but if I don't feel like it I can brush them and then leave them to dry on their own and they usually look fine. Just not as much volume as blow drying. I cut them myself whenever I feel they need cutting, usually every two weeks or so.

tiarefleur
April 14th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Pros: They look flattering when my hair is straight and kind of make my hair look longer (probably because of the contrast between short bangs and long hair)

Cons: Bangs are the only reason I need to actually style my hair every time I wash it. They need to be straightened (just the bangs, not the rest of my hair), and if it weren't for them I would just let it be!

alyanna
April 14th, 2012, 08:14 PM
You have straight hair: great plus because bangs are tough with wurly or curly hair. You need to style and straighten constantly.

You have thick hair: no worrying about losing thickness.

You have a prominent forehead: I think this is exactly what works with a fringe. I disagree that you have to have prominent features. What you need is space for that fringe to go.

In sum, I'd say go for it. You've been wanting to do it for a year, and there doesn't seem to be any major factor that would make you NOT a candidate for bangs.

About the greasiness, you can always wash your fringe separately, like with your face in the morning. I've known people to do that.

Pros: they look super-cute and they are stylish. You can change their shape frequently, from side swept to blunt fringe, to choppy fringe. You won't get bored!

Pixieish
April 14th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Pros: They are cute and versatile. If you want to go bang-free for a day you can just pin them back.
Cons: If you wear glasses and your bangs are long enough they can get snagged in the hinges. (This has happened with every single pair I have owned) Of course hair can get snagged in glasses regardless but it seemed to happen even more so with bangs)

Arashi
April 14th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Mine pretty much echo everyone else's. :)

Pros:
-They're cute
-Soften updos
-Hides a big forehead(and for me, the chicken pox scar right in the middle of my forehead!)
-Draw attention to one's eyes
-Easy to trim yourself

My absolute favorite pro to them is that they're versatile: because they grow quickly, you can change up the style often. In the last couple years, I've had long sideswept bangs, shorter sideswept bangs, Zooey Deschanel-esque bangs, Bettie Page-esque bangs, I've styled them so that they're structured sometimes and straight others, sometimes I keep them wispy and others thick.

Cons:
-They can be annoying in the wind
-They become greasy quicker(though they're easy to wash and restyle over the sink, separate from the rest of the hair)
-For me, usually they require blow-drying, depending on the style I'm going for
-Humid weather can make them look kind of wonky sometimes

EtherealDoll
April 15th, 2012, 02:47 AM
I had bangs for my whole life. I tried growing them out once but it didn't look good.

Pros:
- they suit my round face and frame it nicely
- they're cute
- they make updos look less severe

Cons:
- I need to straighten them

redtuss
April 15th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Pros are they're cute, softens the face and are fun to play with! (cut in different ways, styles etc.)

Cons will be the need to wash them often, that they "steal" volume from the rest of the hair and when they're in the way.

Atm I have bangs, but I'm attempting to grow them out, which means I will have to pin it up for a while before I can put it behind my ears and continue growing it. Wonderful awkwardness to come..

newbeginning
April 15th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I'm speaking from experience as I had bangs as a child then grew them out. Recently I wanted a change and so got bangs cut again. They lasted maybe a month because I hated styling them. They're a pain to grow out too. I did like the way they softened updos and hid my big forehead though.

XcaliburGirl
April 15th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I have bangs that are cut straight across, but I style them to the side with a kind of swoop affect.

Pros:
- They get rid of the severe tight ponytail/updo look
- soften the impact of my thick eyebrows
- reduce hair thickness (may be a con for some people)

Cons:
- have to pin them back when exercising
- they need trimming

I don't have a problem with greasy bangs because I wash my hair daily anyway. I cut them in the winter, though, so I am not sure if they will annoy me more in the summer. If they do, I'll grow them out a little and pin them back, then trim them again in the winter.

heidi w.
April 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I found them to be a pain in the arse because I needed trims of the bangs fairly often. I was always in some phase of this hair being in my eyes. I wear glasses and have a short forehead (although somewhat "larger" now; age can produce some improvements....) and having bangs was just too much weight around my eyes. Too much busy-ness around the eyes.

Also, I dislike bangs for the most part as, for me, they're an indicator of a little girl. I like being a woman, fully grown up in personality and in hair.

ETA: I had far more acne when I had bangs, as well.

heidi w.

missoj
April 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I have a big head and bangs makes it seem smaller, but I also exercise everyday and I sweat like crazy so my hair curls like crazy. So I just tie it or bun it out of the way. If I had bangs it would be much worse to manage.

koala
April 17th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Pros:
-makes my face look less long
-don't have to deal with my eyebrows
-kind of cutesy looking (obviously not a pro for everyone!)

Cons:
-get greasy in the summer
-make it hard to take care of my forehead. I need to moisturize constantly and use sunscreen, but with my bangs in the way, it's not practical to do in the morning on my forehead because my bangs will soak up anything I put there and get greasy.
-WIND. I live in Chicago. 'nuff said
-so hot in the summer. It doesn't help that my hair is nearly black.

Overall, I think they're worth it in the winter when my skin is super dry and they won't get greasy no matter what. In the summer, they're more trouble than they're worth.
I'm thinking growing them out every spring and then cutting them again in the fall will be best for me. I can just pin them back all summer. Plus I think they just suit autumn/winter styles better.

Taking your skin type into consideration is good. If you have oily skin, they might not be worth the effort. If it's normal/dry they'll be a bit easier to care for.
And there are so many variations of bangs that you can definitely find one that suits your face shape.

buttercupmcgee
April 17th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Aside from the points everyone else has made about wind, oil, etc...I'd like to add on a few style-related pros and cons.

I feel that having bangs is a definite step in the "quirk" direction. Whether you're Jane Birkin or Zooey D., it's a look that says "cute/sweet/fun." This can be a wonderful thing! Case in point:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7068/7088294179_4975492008.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7088294179/)
jane1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7088294179/) by buttercupmcgee (http://www.flickr.com/people/67747390@N06/), on Flickr

However, part of the reason I've debated growing them out is because I want to be able to va-va-voom once in a while. There's nothing more sensual to me than a full mane of Victoria's Secret-esque hair, cascading behind and around a woman as she walks. In other words, I want wind to be a GOOD thing!:o

I want my boyfriend to be able to rake his fingers through without me freaking out that I have Alfalfa hair in front.

Case in point:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7275/6942223196_dcc93569cf.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/6942223196/)
b216436196 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/6942223196/) by buttercupmcgee (http://www.flickr.com/people/67747390@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7110/7045430291_e2aca63808.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7045430291/)
Miranda Kerr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67747390@N06/7045430291/) by buttercupmcgee (http://www.flickr.com/people/67747390@N06/), on Flickr

Loveless
April 17th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Cons? They get oily really fast, make my jaw appear stronger, and I look like I'm crazy if my eyebrows aren't showing.

Pros? Hmmm... with thin hair? Well, none, really.

cremenoir
April 17th, 2012, 03:23 PM
hello! i just went through this debate myself not long ago. after growing out my bangs for a year, i decided to cut short side-swept bangs a few weeks ago. i'm really glad i did!

the main reason i grew them out in the first place was for ease of styling. bangs usually do need to be minimally styled (or at least just wet down and allowed to dry) in the morning, which can be kind of a pain. but i'm not the type of person who wakes up with perfect bedhead hair anyway, so for me not having bangs didn't really end up saving me any time as far as daily styling.

in fact, i found the opposite to be true. when i cut my bangs, i found that i could actually get away with just styling my bangs, and not doing much else to my hair. it looked sloppy when i did this before i had bangs, but add some cute styled bangs and suddenly my second day hair looks a million times better. so rather than having to wash and style my whole hair all over again, just taking a few minutes to style my bangs and my messy hair looks cute and intentional.

also, having neatly trimmed bangs helps get me through awkward stages of growing out my hair, because it makes the cut look fresh and intentional rather than neglected and overgrown.

the main thing is you need to have them cut by someone who really knows what theyre doing, especially of you have wavy or curly hair (actually if you have curly hair, bangs might not be a great idea). i used to be a stylist and spent lots of time correcting home bang trims.

you also need to know how to style them. the proper way to blow dry bangs is to hold the dryer in front of your face, aiming it downward, and brush your bangs first in one direction across your forehead for 5-10 seconds, then the other direction, repeating switching directions until theyre dry. end with brushing and dryig them in the direction you want them to hang if theyre sideswept, or by brushing them straight down if theyre full bangs.

if you don't use a dryer, what works well for sideswept bangs is using a strip of soft cloth and making a loose headband from it (you want it loose so it doesn't leave a dent in your hair). wet your bangs down, making sure to wet them all the way to the roots. comb your bangs into place as you want them to dry and then put the headband on across your forehead, hippie style, so it holds your bangs in place. leave it there until theyre almost fully dry, then take it off and shake them out and let them dry all the way. i do this when i don't have time to style in the morning.

yay bangs!

cremenoir
April 17th, 2012, 03:25 PM
...also on the issue of oil, dry shampoo is great for bangs! i use it all the time.

Viola88
April 17th, 2012, 03:28 PM
My cons : hair on my face tickles me and I have 2 cowlicks where bangs would be so I would end up looking like I have bowlegged bangs.:D

WickedWurlys
April 20th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Pros & cons??? You guys are sooo lucky that you have a choice, I hafta have em due to a 5 finger blinding forehead, lol!!

BrightEyes
April 21st, 2012, 09:55 AM
Pros & cons??? You guys are sooo lucky that you have a choice, I hafta have em due to a 5 finger blinding forehead, lol!!

LOL! Me too:D Although I have side-swept bangs, so my whole forehead isn't covered. But a good portion is and it makes all the difference in the world. I will never be without bangs.

The only con for me is that my bangs get greasy before the rest of my hair. I just wash them in the sink with a bit of shampoo and style them. No biggie really.

afu
April 21st, 2012, 10:05 AM
...also on the issue of oil, dry shampoo is great for bangs! i use it all the time.

me too! I hate how i look without my fringe and wouldn't consider getting rid of it. but here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
* make my hair look less plain even if i don't do anything with the rest of it
* frame my face
* look nicer on me than without

cons:
* can get greasy faster (although this has never made me break out on my forehead)
* annoying in the wind
* have to style after washing or it curls up and looks stupid!
* getting caught in the rain = hair disaster!

MonaMayfair
April 22nd, 2012, 05:44 AM
I know it's already been mentioned, but clip-on bangs are a great invention. As long as you can get a pretty good match for your hair color, you can have bangs with no commitment. If you love the look, you can always get some cut in for real.

einna
April 22nd, 2012, 08:23 AM
Pros:
- Frames my face and makes it look better.
- Can be styled without worrying about damage.
- When I wear updoes, I still have some hair loose. Gives me a softer, more styled look.
- Can often be clipped back.
- Easy to wash to help hide the fact that I am streching washes.

Cons:
- Needs some styling, they can easily look dull, weird, to heavy or greasy.
- Grows out of shape fast.
- It can be tricky to get them right. I have had many more or less successful bangs.
- Costs money to just trim bangs, and can be hard to do yourself.
- A pain to grow out.
- Wind, rain and hats ruin them! :S

nobeltonya
April 22nd, 2012, 11:10 AM
I found that when I had bangs, my forehead was WAY more oily than it already is, and it would break out a lot.. plus, I'd cut the front pieces shorter than the rest maybe a year ago, and I'm still trying to catch them up with the rest to make it all one length again.. personally, I prefer it one length. But whatever suits your face and patience level. :D

MaryMarx
April 23rd, 2012, 01:38 AM
I'm going to say pretty much what others have already said, but anyway!
I've had a quite thick, straight fringe for many years that I'm now growing out (cheek length).

Pro's:
It gives 'attitude'
It frames your face
It can make you look younger (my mom told me I looked 'alert' once I met her after trimming it)

Con's
It's hell growing it out (especially if it starts to curl when gaining length)
The greasiness...
Windy weather

Lazy Loop
April 23rd, 2012, 02:07 AM
Agree with everything, it's a tough call.

I have issues with having patience to grow bangs out. Plus, with long hair, I start to obsess over the 'unevenness' of short front/long back. Short hairstyles are more gradual and it all basically grows out at once.

Pros: Stylish, versatile. My bangs want to fall straight forward anyway, even long. Plus I have a short forehead (maybe a threehead, or twohead?)

Cons: Grow Out! starting over and having patience.

Like the idea of clip on bangs.

Lindsey999
April 23rd, 2012, 03:46 AM
I personally have a fringe because it disguises the frown lines I have between between my eyes. It is a pain to maintain and I'm often tempted to grow it out

KrystalPixie
April 23rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Bangs/fringes are fun! Pros: can style different ways. Hide brow mistakes. Allows for some framing of your face. Cons. hard to pull out of face if too short. loose shape fast. Hey it's hair have fun with it!

momma2boys
April 23rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
I had bangs from the time I was little tiny until I was in my mid-20s. Then I grew them out, which was a huge pain but totally worth it, and had no bangs until last year when I decided to try them again. And I'm once again growing them out because they were too high maintenance for me! lol

Pros - hides a larger forehead (like mine!), frames face, brings attention to your eyes
Cons - must wash them more often, hard to keep trimmed yourself, hard to wear a hat without totally messing them up!

lilbeef
April 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
I love bangs. But as soon as icut them I regret it. I hate them touching my face and the wind messes them up.

MagicalMystery
April 23rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
I personally love having bangs. They shape my face and add to my curly 'do. I just let them fall in my face however they will. The only downfall at times is if I have an il in my hair, I break out on my forehead. Nothing my bangs can't hide though. :)

palaeoqueen
April 28th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I need a fringe, I really do. I have a small face and a large forehead and I look so much better with a fringe. My hair is fine and wavy so it does drive me crazy at times but it suits me so much more than without so I stick with it. I have a very short (inch or so above my eyebrows), blunt fringe. Currently it's a sweetheart shape, ie. curved upwards at the edges but I have been considering a different shape, just not sure what.

Seeshami
April 28th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I have clip in bangs for fringe days and the naughty mess as he is on normal days.

My thread with pictures if my bangs.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92002&highlight=bangs

dulce
April 28th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I prefer no bangs on me,but now have bangs to cover my now thinning brows!

Micayla47
April 28th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I prefer no bangs on me,but now have bangs to cover my now thinning brows!
hi dulce. i've had almost non-existent eyebrows since i was 13, something to do with hypothyroidism. i know it's not for everyone, but i've been having my eyebrows tattooed on for almost 15 years and i love it! i go in every 2 years or so for a touch up, and then forget about them until next time.

dulce
April 28th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks Micayla47,have thought of that ,but depending on the tattoo's artist skills it can look great or not.Am scared I'd get a bad one and I'd be stuck,one of my facebook friends got one done badly and I saw her pics. If I knew they'd do a good job eg.Ultrabella looks great with hers,I'd get it done.

Doxieee
May 2nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
I have had on-off bangs since I was able to have a hair style. I used to have the curl over bangs up until 8th grade, than I let them grow a tad bit more & started styling them to the side (side bangs lol), I let them grow out in HS, then I'd cut them back, & so on. This past hair chop I added bangs again & hated it so I've sworn them off. I can say from my experience, I would enjoy how they looked freshly showered & styled, BUT I always had to style them.. I couldn't just get up & go with them. In HS they would get oily/greasy looking from my skin (oily/acne prone skin) which luckily has since calmed some. I am currently still growing them out, they're to my chin now so I can pull them back easily :)