PDA

View Full Version : length vs. volume. . . would a cut help?

jasper
April 14th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I want to show you a couple of photos that are about 2 years apart because I am thinking about hemline questions.

I am a fan of the smooth, even, hemline, whether it is blunt or u-shaped, but the only time I have a hemline remotely like that is the first 5 seconds after a significant trim. Other times, my hem has a strong inclination to fairytail into a V. That has to do with my hair type, and also probably with the way I secure my sleep braid tassel with little silicon rubber bands, which is not the most gentle or careful thing I could do.

Anyway, the reason I am not so crazy about the fairytail hem is because volume/thickness is my hair insecurity and I think the hem makes my hair look thinner. So, I ask myself, should I cut more and more often, and would that make my hair appear to have more volume: the length over volume trade-off. If I took off the two years growth, would I think my hair looked a lot better?

I kind of don't think it wouldn't work and that my hair volume would look the same at any length. I suspect the fresh cut hem would feel smooth and even for a short time, but that time might be measured in weeks, which doesn't compare to two years growth.

Pictures in album:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4215&pictureid=65546http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4215&pictureid=130865

Zindell
April 14th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Well, I think your hair and hemline is beautiful and wouldn't change a thing! :)

jasper
April 14th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks Zindell. Your avatar picture is what I'd want my hemline to be, but I kind of don't think my hair has that within itself.

spidermom
April 14th, 2012, 07:33 AM
For me, keeping a thicker hem requires regular small trims, like 1/2 inch off every 2-3 months.

Kelikea
April 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Your hemline looks quite similar in both pictures, so I don't know if you would be happy losing your 2 years of growth just to have it shorter. How is your taper? Is it significantly thinner on the last 3 inches than the 3 above them? This will tell you more. I braid my ponytail, then measure the circumference at 6 inch intervals. This tells you how much your hair tapers and where it begins to lose its bulk. This may help you in making your decision.

Avital88
April 14th, 2012, 07:49 AM
For me, keeping a thicker hem requires regular small trims, like 1/2 inch off every 2-3 months.

I second this, cutting of much length now wont help and you will be sad of losing all the length, my ends are the same, they look good right after a trim but in just a few weeks ends look thinner again

lapushka
April 14th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Well, I think your hair and hemline is beautiful and wouldn't change a thing! :)

This. ^^ It's nicely and beautifully fairytaling. I'd let it.

luxepiggy
April 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I'm inclined to think that a trim/cut isn't the answer.

My suggestion would be to focus on minimizing breakage. I used to be really insecure about my hair volume as well, but since finding LHC and implementing some of the stuff I've learned here, my hemline has really thickened up!

If you haven't already got one, I highly recommend getting a silk pillow cover. You already mentioned the elastics you use for your sleep braids probably aren't the best choice. You may also want to experiment with a different sleep style altogether; personally I found that sleep braids caused a *lot* of breakage for me.

How often do you detangle, and with what? Are you less gentle than you could be? Grooming is a major cause of hair damage (Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair), and fine hair, with its lower extension to break, is particularly susceptible to damage from overly vigorous brushing or combing.

leslissocool
April 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I second this, cutting of much length now wont help and you will be sad of losing all the length, my ends are the same, they look good right after a trim but in just a few weeks ends look thinner again

I second Avital and Luxe both.

Make sure your hair isn't breaking off, and I'd maintain length and just get regular trims. Don't cut back, small regular trims. I don't have a silk pillow, but I braid my hair to sleep.

cheetahfast
April 14th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I also don't think a large trim would help.
Ever try making hair bands out of tights? I find that they're very gentle on my hair.

spidermom
April 14th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure if I made what I meant clear. Due to the fact that some hairs grow faster than others, and of course some break off, the only way to keep the hem on the thicker side is to maintain it with small trims. This holds back the fastest growing hairs so that slower growing hairs can catch up. As soon as you quit trimming (for most people), the fastest growing hairs race ahead and the hem gets thin, i.e., fairy tales.

In other words, "a" cut wouldn't help. It's a maintenance issue.

MinderMutsig
April 14th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure if I made what I meant clear. Due to the fact that some hairs grow faster than others, and of course some break off, the only way to keep the hem on the thicker side is to maintain it with small trims. This holds back the fastest growing hairs so that slower growing hairs can catch up. As soon as you quit trimming (for most people), the fastest growing hairs race ahead and the hem gets thin, i.e., fairy tales.

In other words, "a" cut wouldn't help. It's a maintenance issue.
I agree with this. Combine regular small trims with a safer method of tying off braids and perhaps a satin pillowcase and you should start to see improvement in a couple of months.

jacqueline101
April 14th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I'd agree with Luxepiggy. I think analyzing your hair care would be good.

Cleopatra18
April 14th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I had the same problem before, and chopped off 8 inches thinking it would help. Now, a year later my ends are pretty much thinning again, and I didn't even get my length back yet.
Micro trimming is definitely the way to go.

Littlewing13
April 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I would try to fix the cause of the problem. Replace your current elastics with no snag ones, or wrap the end of your braid in satin or similar before tying with elastic.

Then I suggest just take a little at a time. an inch here, inch there. If you want it really thick you could take it up to waist, but you need to weigh up the importance of thickness vs length to you.

But cutting it without addressing the cause of thinning will not help.

jasper
April 14th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I'm inclined to think that a trim/cut isn't the answer.

My suggestion would be to focus on minimizing breakage. I used to be really insecure about my hair volume as well, but since finding LHC and implementing some of the stuff I've learned here, my hemline has really thickened up!

If you haven't already got one, I highly recommend getting a silk pillow cover. You already mentioned the elastics you use for your sleep braids probably aren't the best choice. You may also want to experiment with a different sleep style altogether; personally I found that sleep braids caused a *lot* of breakage for me.

How often do you detangle, and with what? Are you less gentle than you could be? Grooming is a major cause of hair damage (Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair), and fine hair, with its lower extension to break, is particularly susceptible to damage from overly vigorous brushing or combing.

I haven't got the silk pillow case. I should put that on my shopping list. I am thinking about just not securing the braid at all for sleep. It will probably stay braided for the most part. How did you determine the sleep braid was damaging? Would I have broken hair on the sheets?

How often do I detangle? Not every day. I mostly finger comb. I have a wide tooth comb and a BBB and a nice paddle brush with smooth wooden bristles, but half the time I don't know where I have left them.