PDA

View Full Version : Confused with my slightly wavy mostly straight hair

yummie
April 13th, 2012, 11:59 PM
My hair is looking so confused these days.. After my co wash and air dry, my hair is straight with some random fluffy waves (i'm thinking baby hairs/new growth) in it.. I'm not sure how to style it, I just put some cone free serum in it but it still just looks unfinished... Should I try to make it look straighter or use some kind of product to enhance the waves? I don't want to heat style too much.. Can anyone suggest a good wave enhancing products or techniques?

PurplePenguin
April 14th, 2012, 12:14 AM
cocoon curls. If you youtube it there are all kinds of videos on how to do it. Happy curling!

barely.there
April 14th, 2012, 02:17 AM
to straighten my hair i use a large round BBB with a blow dryer on cool setting. makes the body straight and the ends curl which is very playful around the shoulders. less damaging than a flat iron and a more mature look than pin straight.

i second the cocoon curls :)

fridgee
April 14th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Another option for heat free straight hair is enormous rollers on very slightly damp hair. They give nice volume too. Or you can try wrapping, lots of YouTube vids on that.

For enhancing wave I suggest scrunching product into your hair while still very wet (eg aloe Vera gel or even a tiny dab of your normal conditioner as a leave in) then leaving it to air dry without touching or combing in any way! You may find you are wavier than you thought!

HintOfMint
April 14th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I have more waves in the front than in the back, so to knock out the curl in the front, I do large (I mean really big) pin curls. I wrap a large section of slightly damp hair around my hand in the direction I want the ends to fall (if I want curved in ends, I wrap the hair under, if you understand what I mean) and pin it. When it dries, or if I leave it overnight in the morning, I take it down and it's straight.

Coney serums really help knock out the curl for me too, and I have pretty coarse hair.

If you want to go in the opposite direction and get uniform waves, damp bunning works pretty well too.

PS, what cone-free serum do you use?

lapushka
April 14th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure how to style it, I just put some cone free serum in it but it still just looks unfinished... Should I try to make it look straighter or use some kind of product to enhance the waves? I don't want to heat style too much.. Can anyone suggest a good wave enhancing products or techniques?

You could either use the technique for curly girls, or try and get the wavy hair straight somehow (by combing while drying and continuing to tame with serum, or something along those lines).

The technique for curly girls is no combing after washing (during), using gel, some kind of pommade or curl cream and CO washing (or not, up to you), scrunching. You could try and bring out the waves that way, if they are there.

yummie
April 15th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I have more waves in the front than in the back, so to knock out the curl in the front, I do large (I mean really big) pin curls. I wrap a large section of slightly damp hair around my hand in the direction I want the ends to fall (if I want curved in ends, I wrap the hair under, if you understand what I mean) and pin it. When it dries, or if I leave it overnight in the morning, I take it down and it's straight.

Coney serums really help knock out the curl for me too, and I have pretty coarse hair.

If you want to go in the opposite direction and get uniform waves, damp bunning works pretty well too.

PS, what cone-free serum do you use?

Thanks for the tips! I use loreal eversleek frizz creme and serum they are good at not killing volume

yummie
April 15th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Another option for heat free straight hair is enormous rollers on very slightly damp hair. They give nice volume too. Or you can try wrapping, lots of YouTube vids on that.

For enhancing wave I suggest scrunching product into your hair while still very wet (eg aloe Vera gel or even a tiny dab of your normal conditioner as a leave in) then leaving it to air dry without touching or combing in any way! You may find you are wavier than you thought!

^ that would be so exciting to find out I could get wavier! :]

sfgirl
April 15th, 2012, 02:05 AM
I've found the less cones I use, the more wavier my hair is. But cones give me pin straight hair.

fridgee
April 15th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I've found the less cones I use, the more wavier my hair is.

This is the same for me. It won't go pin straight even with cones (that would be so useful!) but they definitely loosen the wave (and make it poofy, but that's another story!)

Valfreyja
April 15th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I find that if I use a wide toothed comb (like the Body Shop one) in the shower while the conditioner is in, then my hair is much straighter when dry. I also continue to comb it out (gently!) while it's drying. Then when it's almost completely dry, I switch to a fine toothed comb. The result is: really, really straight hair.

ETA: I will generally do this while I'm getting ready in the morning, which tends to take an hour or so.

Kapri
February 21st, 2018, 10:08 AM
I have asked this on another thread - so sorry for repeat posting - but this looks like a more active thread.

For those of you like me who have straight slightly wavy hair - in my case that is wavy when damp and then the wave falls out when the hair is dried - do you recommend getting layers to enhance the wave. I have very fine hair and it looks best when one length and cut blunt but am wondering whether having it one length is reducing the possibilities of waves.

Stray_mind
February 21st, 2018, 01:51 PM
Plopping is a good way to encourage the wurls. You can watch the technique on Youtube.

But i have never tried to straighten my hair, so i can't help you with that...

Kapri
February 21st, 2018, 03:07 PM
Thanks Stray-mind ...I will follow this up!

lapushka
February 21st, 2018, 03:59 PM
I have asked this on another thread - so sorry for repeat posting - but this looks like a more active thread.

For those of you like me who have straight slightly wavy hair - in my case that is wavy when damp and then the wave falls out when the hair is dried - do you recommend getting layers to enhance the wave. I have very fine hair and it looks best when one length and cut blunt but am wondering whether having it one length is reducing the possibilities of waves.

Exactly how wavy are you? You can enhance the wavy texture by styling it right (scrunching the products in & plopping).

How thick is your hair? I would recommend layers *only* if you are iii, not for i or ii hair at all. Especially not if you have F hair to boot.

Flowerness
February 21st, 2018, 07:17 PM
I found that doing an SMT for the first time helped bring the wave out in my hair. (At the time, I wasn't happy about it, I was confused really. I was like: where did all this come from?) I like that it does that. With hair that falls flat fast, being careful of build up helps as well. My hair does this too. Big huge curls and waves! 1 hour later, like a popped balloon! You can practically hear the fizzle. So, I'm still working on this. Homemade flaxseed gel seems to work well for some. When I had shorter hair, APL-BSL, I used velcro rollers on my hair. Use the huge ones to smooth waves and provide body, smaller ones to help make curls. The best way for me to make faux barrel curls- like from a curling iron- was when I would twist my hair up, like in a french twist, and use a claw clip. Doing this on damp hair, and going about my day meant it dried in a curl that lasted until the next shampoo.