PDA

View Full Version : Topical MSM?

longhairedleah
April 13th, 2012, 12:10 PM
So there have been a couple of threads lately about MTG, and it seems that it's basically a way of putting sulfur topically... I think...

Eggs and other sulfur containing foods topically on hair are said to make hair grow faster

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried mixing MSM into some oils and massaging it directly on the hair. Did you find any results? How much would you use?

I'd do the test myself but I could only report on shedding/reactions I suppose, because my hair is impossible to measure (due to the state of the curl, volume, etc). But I'd like to know if anyone else has any experience in this?

I tried searching LHC and google at large, but couldn't find anything on LHC, and no answers on other websites, just other people wondering the same thing.

Does anyone have any experience/advice on this? Sorry for the length of the post!

WaitingSoLong
April 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I know its on here, I have read the threads I will try to find them but I have no personal experience with this.

ETA: Here is a discussion (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1961680) on the sulfur powder in another thread

and another thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53655)where sulfur was misspelled so maybe your search missed it.

WaitingSoLong
April 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Ok another link: http://6footlonghair.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-sulfur-oil-mix.html

If you google "sulfur long hair" I am finding no shortage of info on it

longhairedleah
April 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM
oooh thank you! i'll definitely take a look there! It's so easy to miss the thread you're looking for.... :)

swearnsue
April 13th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I would sure be cheaper than buying MTG and less stinky!

WaitingSoLong
April 13th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah I tried MTG because I already had it for my horses. I kind of associate the smell with my horses so I did not see it as bad smelling until I wore it on my head all night LOL.

swearnsue
April 13th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Yeah I tried MTG because I already had it for my horses. I kind of associate the smell with my horses so I did not see it as bad smelling until I wore it on my head all night LOL.

Did you use if for a time and notice any thicker or faster growth? I think if I were to try it I would try to keep it on my scalp for a few hours and not overnight. That would be too much to handle!

meeliah
April 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I used to use t topically on my face for acne and sunburns. Mixed with lotion for acne & aloe for burns. It worked great. A little bit off topic, but thought i would share.

WaitingSoLong
April 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM
No I only tried it once. I think I posted that in an MTG thread yesterday but it was so hard to wash out I never tried it again. It smelled awful and I had to wash my pillowcases several times as well. Just not worth it for me.

I opted for overnight because of how greasy and awful it looked in my hair. I do stuff like this overnight before my wash day so I was going to do it twice a week but I think DH would divorce me. Ahhh...the sexy smell of BEEF JERKY lol.m Ok, not really.

I am curious about trying the MTG powder in a carrier oil but a lot of people (web) seem to use castor oil and I HATES THE CASTOR NASTY. Good for my hands, NO NO NO for my hair and scalp. lol. I used monistat for quite a length or time with zero results (mainly for my scalp condition). Nothing I have ever tried (supplements, topical) has helped my growth rate one bit. Ever. Thickness? Who knows, I would have to wait a year to tell a difference (6 inches of growth). I stuck with the monistat that long but I don't monitor my hair thickness.

MissHair
April 13th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I've only applied MSM powder mixed with water in a spritz-bottle. I used 2 grams with a bit of water. Didn't notice anything though because I think it hasnt been long enough to tell. Apart from applying topically, my hair has shed ALOT since taking MSM orally. Im hoping it's just detox symptoms.

carolinaberry
April 13th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Do y'all think adding some MSM powder to Monistat would add a kick? Or do you think they would counteract each other?

longhairedleah
April 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Ok another link: http://6footlonghair.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-sulfur-oil-mix.html

If you google "sulfur long hair" I am finding no shortage of info on it

Yes, I am aware that there is a lot of information on sulfur for hair, that is for sure. Hence why I mentioned MTG, eggs, garlic etc...

MSM, however, is not elemental sulfur. It's a sulfur containing chemical, and what I imagine to be a biological sulfur-donor. That means that the way the body can use it via digestion and topically are not necessarily the same....

Based on the threads you showed me and the little information google showed me, MSM is not ideal for topical use on hair, and powdered elemental sulfur seems to be better. Although, as someone else pointed out, theyve used it on skin for acne

Maybe if I have the time I'll take a look at some scientific literature to see if I can find anything...

longhairedleah
April 14th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Do y'all think adding some MSM powder to Monistat would add a kick? Or do you think they would counteract each other?

hmm, I don't imagine they'd counteract each other, I think they work on different pathways... sulfur/MSM just gives your roots the extra nutrients needed. Might give a boost!!

longhairedleah
April 14th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I used to use t topically on my face for acne and sunburns. Mixed with lotion for acne & aloe for burns. It worked great. A little bit off topic, but thought i would share.

Yeah, the internet showed me a bit about MSM topically for acne, thats why I was interested in seeing if it would work for hair

I've only applied MSM powder mixed with water in a spritz-bottle. I used 2 grams with a bit of water. Didn't notice anything though because I think it hasnt been long enough to tell. Apart from applying topically, my hair has shed ALOT since taking MSM orally. Im hoping it's just detox symptoms.

Ive been taking it orally and haven't noticed any shedding or any difference at all... But like I said, I cant tell with growth. I hope it's just a detox for you! But if I were you I'd stop if it continues for more than a couple of weeks...