PDA

View Full Version : Hairtype a shorty please?

Aeowen
April 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Okay, I've looked and looked at the hairtyping tutorial and threads, and I want to make sure I'm not totally clueless. I do wonder what effect the lack of length of my hair has on my hairtype? I had taken a guess but I'm not sure if I'm correct.

I've been told by hairdressers that my hair is very fine but it looks so coarse in this photo...which might be the awkward layers or it might be the fact that my hair is getting grayer *sigh*

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10164&pictureid=130778

Help is appreciated!

spidermom
April 13th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'll go with 1B for now, but sometimes hair needs length to wave, and you might have more of it as it gets longer.

pepperminttea
April 13th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Strand thickness is very difficult to do without close-up photos, but in terms of wave pattern, I'd go 1c/2a. It might just be the 'flip length' you're at, but there's definitely a stretched out wave or two in there. :)

XcaliburGirl
April 13th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I'd agree with 1c or 2a, but it's probably still a bit short to tell.

I was typed as 2b, when my hair was a bit past shoulder and air-dried without being touched. However, simply running my fingers through my hair as it dries will make it as straight as your picture.

oktobergoud
April 13th, 2012, 02:07 PM
It looks a lot like mine! I typed mine as 1C.. would say the same for your hair? Of course we will know for sure when it's longer.. but yeah, that will still take a while :(

StPaulaGirl
April 13th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I'd say 1c.

lapushka
April 13th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I'd say 1b. 2a, to my knowledge, has a few more S-waves within that length already.

auburntressed
April 13th, 2012, 02:43 PM
It does look like it could be coarse, but the strands aren't close up enough to be sure. Maybe get some shed hairs, put them on a contrasting background, and lay a piece of thread next to them for scale? That way we could see how thick the strands are next to something that gives us reference.

torrilin
April 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
For texture... it's tricky. We all have a range of hair thicknesses on our heads. So even tho I type myself as F, there really are actual factual C strands of hair on my head. Not quite so few that I can count every single one, but it's a pretty small number. There are also some M strands. More than C, but nowhere near the dominant texture. But in an average photo, my hair looks like hair, not like some special ethereal thing of fineness and beauty. And honestly, if there's a tipoff that someone has fine hair in a photo, it's more in how their hair almost doesn't show individual strands, and even attempts at layers devolve into nothing but wispiness. But 9 times outta 10, a photo won't have any obvious cues. If you can't figure out what to type for texture, the best bet is M.

I'd tend to guess 1c/2a for your wave pattern. If the "flip" at your neck is not being affected much by length, that's a much deeper wave than anything on my head, and it seems like the deeper the wave, the stronger your wave pattern tends to be.

Thickness is also pretty much impossible to tell from a picture. For now, it's probably safe to guess ii until you can measure for sure. If you want to be a total math geek, you can go work out how much cross-sectional area each pigtail you can make has, and then add 'em all together to figure out a "real" ponytail circumference from the area. But that's a lot of math and it isn't necessarily going to be accurate.

Aeowen
April 15th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys!! So I told my husband and he said "yea, but you didn't leave your hair totally alone while it was drying."

I said "what??"

He said "I was watching you when you were reading, you were running your fingers through the top" *laughing*

Oh dear, well I guess that would make a difference, wouldn't it.

So I tried again and it looked even wavier - s waves, no corkscrews and he pointed out the 2b/2c pics when looking at it. So...I've always had straight hair and all of a sudden my hair is wavy? What a strange thing! Of course, I've never really treated it like wavy hair (always have combed when wet and brushed when dry) so maybe it's wavier than I expected. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what it does as I grow. Thanks guys!!!