PDA

View Full Version : How much would you be willing to spend?

XcaliburGirl
April 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Just for fun:

You go to a friend's house and use whatever is sitting in their shower to wash you hair. It turns out to be a "holy grail" product. Your hair looks and feels amazing, it's 100% natural and safe, etc.

What's the most you'd be willing to pay per bottle (let's say 16oz)?

One last thing: in this imaginary world you are insanely rich, so the question is not how much you can afford, it's how much you are willing to spend. At what point is it so ridiculously overpriced that you just won't buy it even though you have plenty of money?

Kwantslonghair
April 13th, 2012, 06:56 AM
If it is imaginary and I have soooo much money. I would just buy the company and give free product to all my friends for life.

caiti42
April 13th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Kinda hard question as our currencies would all be different, and I don't know what an ounce is lol. The most I would spend on a bottle of I thought it was fantastic is probably $35AUD. I guess you could say by comparison a Redkin All Soft standard size is $22 AUD.

XcaliburGirl
April 13th, 2012, 07:27 AM
If it is imaginary and I have soooo much money. I would just buy the company and give free product to all my friends for life.
Ha ha, see I knew someone would work around any conditions I set.

Mainly, I was just wondering because I hear of people spending huge amounts of money on things and I wonder if it's really worth it. For example, I don't think I could spend $300 on a bottle of conditioner no matter how much money I had. Would I spend $50? If it really was amazing, then maybe I would.

Tota
April 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM
If I would be insanely rich then I wouldn't care about the price of the hair's holy grail :) But in a real world the perfect product shouldn't be more than 50 euros for me (but that means that it really is perfect in any way and I don't need absolutely anything else - at that price I couldn't afford anything else anyway lol).

lapushka
April 13th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Doesn't matter how much I would hypothetically have to spend, just out of principle a simple thing like shampoo and conditioner shouldn't cost an arm and a leg (why would you spend more, it's basically all the same) - I would stick with that no matter what. So, I'd be willing to spend a couple of euros; same as normal.

Kwantslonghair
April 13th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I would not spend more than $25. But then I am very frugal. It's fun to dream though.

Avital88
April 13th, 2012, 07:44 AM
if i would be insanely rich i rather do good stuff with the money so not want to spend more than 100 euro's on it.

rosaacicularis
April 13th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Ignoring the fact that I'm currently W/O and loving it, I'm going to say $60. My reason is that if a product even made my hair magically quick-dry and whirl itself into perfect silky-soft waves every morning, I would only use it if it were, in fact, totally natural. In that scenario, I'm sure with a little experimentation, I could recreate the product. At the very least, I can't imagine too many combinations of natural substances I'd be willing to put on my hair (blended truffles and caviar will not touch my hair, please) that would cost more than $60 for 16oz.

Amber_Maiden
April 13th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Well, I spend $25-30 now on 16oz of conditioner, which is my holy grail... And I'm not rich by a long shot. It's just worth it to get the hair I want/like.

So if I was rich? Hmmm... $75?

Anje
April 13th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I wonder how much I need per wash? No way am I spending more than $10 for 16oz of conditioner if I use half a bottle to CO wash once!

Perelka74
April 13th, 2012, 08:26 AM
It depends on the product and what it does , some days I dream that there is a pill that makes your hair grow an inch overnight , how much would I pay for something like that ....if I am rich whatever the cost I guess , take it for a 10 days and you get 10 inches , that sure would be nice LOL . But if there was such a pill today I think I would pay 100 per pill maybe more .

RitaPG
April 13th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Even if I was filthy rich I wouldn't spend more than I already do on regular products from the supermarket. I will never understand people that spend 40 or 50$ on things like Ojon or 92$ for a Kerastase Shampoo.
Now I'm not saying they're bad, I'm pretty sure they're awesome, but my hair is not picky, and it's not damaged, and I don't see the point in spending that amount of money when a 3 dollar product works just as well for me. Also, ingredient wise, you can always find something similar and cheaper out there.
I spend about 8€ (10 USD) on my avocado oil and that's probably the most expensive thing on my list :p

StPaulaGirl
April 13th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I dunno...$60-$70 maybe? As others have said, if I had that kind of money, I'd rather spend it on other things. After a certain amount, I'd feel a bit like I was being had, you know?

Well, I spend $25-30 now on 16oz of conditioner, which is my holy grail... And I'm not rich by a long shot. It's just worth it to get the hair I want/like.

So if I was rich? Hmmm... $75?

Ohh, which conditioner do you use? Now I'm curious! I haven't found my holy grail yet, although I think I've come close (Giovanni 50/50 does nice things to my hair).

heidi w.
April 13th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I actually have what is fantastic for my hair. I have no income presently and I'm going to school.

You don't have to pay an arm and a leg to possess the "holy grail" of shampoo and conditioner.

heidi w.

kamikaze hair
April 13th, 2012, 09:50 AM
no more than $300. But only cause in this imaginary world i'm rich, and married to Tom Hardy, so I can afford to spend soooo much on my hair :D. (hey, if i'm dreaming I might as well go the whole hog, ey?)

Seeshami
April 13th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I agree with buying the company for an endless supply of not only more money to buy more companies but also holy grail hair stuff.

millyaulait
April 13th, 2012, 09:58 AM
If it made my hair AMAZING then probably £150+.
I have never found a shampoo/conditioner that has properly worked for my hair.

Rosetta
April 13th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Mainly, I was just wondering because I hear of people spending huge amounts of money on things and I wonder if it's really worth it. For example, I don't think I could spend $300 on a bottle of conditioner no matter how much money I had. Would I spend $50? If it really was amazing, then maybe I would.
I wouldn't spend even $50, even that sounds ridiculously expensive to me, to be honest :p (Meaning if I got the currency rate right, should be about 45 EUR?)
Mind you, I'm not used to spending loads of money, but by this stage in life I think (and hope) I have enough sense not to spend that much on any one product even if I could... So basically I agree with you, sometimes the money people do spend on things is mind-boggling.

holothuroidea
April 13th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I would never want to be insanely rich. If I had more money than I needed I would give it away.

So, same as I spend now, about 15/month for shampoo/bodywash/handsoap and conditioner for the whole family.

jacqueline101
April 13th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I spend 6 dollars on mine shampoo and conditioner. I try to be cheap as I can due to money being tight. If money was no cost I'd buy the large size of my holy grail products.

jacqueline101
April 13th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I spend 6 dollars on mine shampoo and conditioner. I try to be cheap as I can due to money being tight. If money was no cost I'd buy the large size of my holy grail products.

dwell_in_safety
April 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM
If money were no object, I would probably spend about $20/max. That's exorbitant at the moment, but if I were wealthy it really wouldn't be. It's difficult for me to stomach paying more for a product that's not a beautiful hair toy.

thirstylocks
April 13th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I am putting myself through university and I have no money to spend on myself at the end of the month....so if i had unlimited money, I would be really selfish for a WHILE. I would spend a lot on hair products, especially great ones.

luxepiggy
April 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM
If I'm insanely rich, with more money than I know what to do with? Price no object (^(oo)^)v

EmiliaF
April 13th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I am using expensive shampoo and conditioner ($23 for 25 oz) right now and I don't think I would pay more than that, because I think at some point you just pay more for the brand-name and the quality does not increase much.

lolot
April 13th, 2012, 12:52 PM
$50 is the maximun for a bottle of conditioner not more

marymonster
April 13th, 2012, 12:53 PM
In normal life? 20 bucks
In that world? No more than 200

WaitingSoLong
April 13th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I haven't read all the replies but I can't see spening over $25 for a 16 oz. bottle of anything.

And Holy Grails one month may not be the next. My hair changes its mind a lot.

pepperminttea
April 13th, 2012, 02:01 PM
16oz. is just over 450ml, so assuming it was a rinse-out product, I think the maximum I'd pay for that at the moment is £8, tops - and it would have to be an absolute holy grail product for my hair. For a leave-in that I used in much smaller quantities, probably double that.

If I was rich? I honestly don't know, I've no experience of being rich in a Western context. I'd like to think I wouldn't be reckless, but I'm not great with money. :o

Kittyxx
April 13th, 2012, 03:06 PM
If I was insanely rich tyhe question kinda loses value to me - I'd buy it no matter what if it's THAT good
Now though - I wouldn't spend upwards of 60-80 without serious thought but I would probably be willing to go up higher depending on how much I liked the product in other ways in addition to effect .. so like scent, ease to use etc

Mina17
April 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
It would have to do insanely amazing things for my hair for me to spend more than $20. And I really doubt there is such a product out there.

longcurlygirl<3
April 13th, 2012, 05:35 PM
No more than $30 US dollars. I mean it's awesome but still, I feel natural so I wouldn't need it much :)

PurplePenguin
April 13th, 2012, 05:59 PM
For a 16oz bottle I don't think I would pay more than $25 now...if I was insanely rich I don't think I would pay more than $40.

MinderMutsig
April 13th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Doesn't matter how much I would hypothetically have to spend, just out of principle a simple thing like shampoo and conditioner shouldn't cost an arm and a leg (why would you spend more, it's basically all the same) - I would stick with that no matter what. So, I'd be willing to spend a couple of euros; same as normal. This. I would never be willing to spend over €10-€15 for a conditioner no matter how much money I'd have.

swearnsue
April 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I'd pay whatever it cost but I'd be more curious what was in it or not in it that made it so good.

Perelka74
April 13th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Even if I was filthy rich I wouldn't spend more than I already do on regular products from the supermarket. I will never understand people that spend 40 or 50$ on things like Ojon or 92$ for a Kerastase Shampoo.
Now I'm not saying they're bad, I'm pretty sure they're awesome, but my hair is not picky, and it's not damaged, and I don't see the point in spending that amount of money when a 3 dollar product works just as well for me. Also, ingredient wise, you can always find something similar and cheaper out there.
I spend about 8€ (10 USD) on my avocado oil and that's probably the most expensive thing on my list :p

I buy Ojon , some of the product out of this line are pretty good , yes it is expensive but it works great I like the restorative treatment and love the swa serum - works great

RitaPG
April 13th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I buy Ojon , some of the product out of this line are pretty good , yes it is expensive but it works great I like the restorative treatment and love the swa serum - works great

I'm glad it works for you :) and for their price I'm sure they're amazing. I just couldn't see myself buying it because my hair does wonderfully with even a regular drugstore product. Besides, I want to grow really long hair and that means I'll use a lot more product in the long run :p

Littlewing13
April 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Yeah I'd limit $30AUD.

Perelka74
April 13th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I'm glad it works for you :) and for their price I'm sure they're amazing. I just couldn't see myself buying it because my hair does wonderfully with even a regular drugstore product. Besides, I want to grow really long hair and that means I'll use a lot more product in the long run :p

what would you recommend , it is so hard there is so many choices at the drug store I would love to get some great ideas .

Valfreyja
April 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
$50 for a conditioner? What kind of money are you guys making exactly?? I tend to spend about 5 pounds on mine and not a shred more than that, if it were an absolute miracle I'd be willing to spend maybe 7-8. Times are tough here and I'm a university student. So. I think it does just as well for my hair to use a cheap non-coney condish and baby oil on the ends as far as I've seen. Blowing the big bucks just doesn't seem to pay for me personally. Plus there are all these ingenious home-made concoctions that ladies here have made recipes for, and they really do work wonders. Even simple olive oil with a dollop of honey works wonders!

Lostsoule77
April 13th, 2012, 10:40 PM
16 Oz. is 473 mls. I think I probably wouldn't pay more than $16 for a bottle of conditioner regardless of how much money I had. I use quite a lot of conditioner and can't see wasting that much money on it when there is so much more I could do with the money.

Safira
April 14th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Well, I think if i really makes miracles, maybe around 60-70 dollars.
But I don´t think any conditioner makes miracles.

Bedhead
April 14th, 2012, 05:28 AM
The Holy Grail? I'm trying to picture myself walking into a store and the sales clerk telling me the price. What I found from this is my original thought of $75 was not correct - I gasped, even with all the money I had.So, I'm going to say $50 CAD.

luxepiggy
April 15th, 2012, 02:49 AM

OK, I'll 'fess up. My deep treatment (Shu Uemura Moisture Velvet Nourishing Treatment) costs US$68 for a 6oz / 200ml tub.

Why am I willing to spend so much? Pretty simple - it makes my hair look better than any other product I've tried. I go through ~2 tubs/year, for a total annual cost of $136, or $0.41 per day.

If you could have the best hair of your life, every day of the year for $0.41/day, what would you do? (^(oo)^)v

XcaliburGirl
April 15th, 2012, 06:25 AM
OK, I'll 'fess up. My deep treatment (Shu Uemura Moisture Velvet Nourishing Treatment) costs US$68 for a 6oz / 200ml tub.

Why am I willing to spend so much? Pretty simple - it makes my hair look better than any other product I've tried. I go through ~2 tubs/year, for a total annual cost of $136, or $0.41 per day.

If you could have the best hair of your life, every day of the year for $0.41/day, what would you do? (^(oo)^)v
Glad you found a product you really like. :)
My scenerio didn't take into account how long the product would last, which is a short-coming. In your case, it's about $11 per month, so I could see it being worth it if it's that much better for your hair than anything else. Personally, compared to other things I could buy for $11/month, I don't know if I'd buy it. But, if it's worth it for you, then great.

I find it pretty interesting that there were such a wide range of responses.

CurlySasha
May 8th, 2012, 12:31 PM
In reality, no more than 30$. If I was super rich, then no more than 50$! :D

DarkCurls
May 8th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I can't picture 16oz :confused:, but I'm guessing an average/smallish? bottle...

I'd say 50 euro maximum. If it were a wonder-product.
Normally, I spend 30 euro on an anti-frizz serum I really love, every six months maybe, and the rest is just your regular, cheap-ish stuff.

nerdymomma
May 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah...If I had unlimited funds? I'd love to say I would be too frugal and intelligent, but what the heck I would probably spend $75-100 per product. For *THE* perfect hair? When I think about how much I spent a few years ago, between a mid-grade salon cut and color, fancy salon hair products, eyebrow waxing and tinting - ugh. $75-100 for a silver bullet (let's say it lasts a month) would be less than what I spent back then.

Just the thought of all that waste turns my stomach now. I use gentle, natural shampoo and conditioner bars that cost $6/each and last several months a piece. For me, I think I have the holy grail now.

ArienEllariel
May 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM
but does this product smell good? what if it ends up being 100% natural jellied squid eyeballs? I wouldn't want that on my head...

Kristen121
May 8th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I would say around $50

Cirafly24
May 8th, 2012, 10:54 PM
If money were no object, maybe $150. Celebrities spend thousands on 1/2 oz of wrinkle cream...I figure $150 for 16 oz is pretty good.

luxepiggy
May 9th, 2012, 01:30 AM
If money were no object, maybe $150. Celebrities spend thousands on 1/2 oz of wrinkle cream...I figure $150 for 16 oz is pretty good.

Now that's my kind of logic! (^(oo)^)v