PDA

View Full Version : My 1 year anniversary! PIC HEAVY (9", honey treatments, going virgin, monistat, etc)

gogirlanime
April 11th, 2012, 11:00 PM
:happydance: I'm happy to announce today April 11th 2012 is my one year anniversary! :happydance:

I have learned so much from everyone here so a big thank you to everyone/anyone who has helped me.

User Honorable mentions:
-Signe (for showing me how to find my hair type)
-rosieex3 (for showing me how to hair wrap with a video)
-Alvrodul (for showing me how to use cassia)
-BrightEyes7 (for educating me on the proper honey to use for lightening)
-Springlets, pinkbunny, and jojo (for honey-lightening tips)
-sun-kissed, and Joribear (for regiment suggestions)
-whitestiletto (for letting me know that kool-aid doesn't damage your hair)

My Hair in April 2011

Dark brown, 16.5 inches, all chemically dyed and damaged

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/gogirlanime/before_wrap_curls.jpg http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/gogirlanime/hair_straightened.jpg

My Hair in April 2012

Dark red / red, 18 inches, 1/2 hair damaged ends 1/2 hair virgin hair with henna, honey-lightening, lemon-lightening and kool-aid dye only

You can see the darker areas is my new growth and the damage at the ends my hair has gone from a dark brown to a bright red and the new growth is coming in as my natural color a medium brown

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/gogirlanime/lhc_1_year_anniversary_1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/gogirlanime/lhc_1_year_anniversary_2.jpg

Some Threads of mine Experiments/Information
-Heat-free Hair-strightening Success with a Wrap (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69319)
-Dying hair with Kool Aid (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73258)
-Gogirlanime's Green House Effect With Oil For Fast Growth Technique (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84887)
-Gogirlanime's Shed Less Journey (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71626)
-Gogirlanime's Hair Lightening Journey (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=70677)

What I Accomplished
-9 inches of growth and 7.5 inches of damage trimmed off
-New almost-virgin healthy, shiny hair that is damage-free (not heat, dye, cones, etc)
-Shedding has dropped from 100 hairs to 50-60 hairs a day from black tea rinses
-Hair grew up to 1 1/4 a month with M-T-G and Monistat
-A better sense of education, pride, and care for my hair

What I did
-Shampooed every 3 days (except when I used my M-T-G mix, then everyday)
-Conditioned everyday
-Washed and rinsed hair in cold (not ice cold) water only
-Only dyed hair with henna and kool-aid
-Only bleached hair with honey, cinnamon, and lemon juice/sun
-Air-dryed hair
-Sprayed on scalp or rinsed hair with black tea to reduce shedding
-Did apple cider vinegar rinses often
-Went cone-free
-Shampooed hair with Lush's "New" shampoo bar
-Conditioned with V05 or Lush's "Jungle" conditioner bar
-Applied off-brand Monistat directly on scalp when hair was wet every 2-3 days every other month
-For 3 months this year (one month at a time) used a mixture of castor oil, M-T-G oil and essential oils every night each month
-Oiled tips and length of hair over night most of the time through the year with jojoba, avocado, coconut, olive, castor, and other oils, chosen at random and done randomly
-Ate a balanced vegan diet with plenty of healthy oils
-Supplemented with 2,000mcg biotin, 200mg hyularonic acid, 500mg vitamin C, 4 grams MSM, 2 grams fish oil, 6 grams collagen, 500mg inositol, and vitamin-enriched soy drinks almost every day over the year. Also, took silica sometimes.
-Wore hair up in a bun everyday for either most of the day or all day
-Wore hair down only once, maybe twice a week for a few hours to look nice for my boyfriend, otherwise hair was always up
-Wore hair in a front bun over night almost every night
-Slept on a satin pillow case
-Kept hair out of sun by wearing a hoodie or going outside during lower light.
-Used a bamboo comb only
-Did scalp massages sometimes

What I Plan on Doing this Year
-Moon trimming
-Wearing a short bob wig during the summer to protect my hair (and so I can wear a shorter and cooler (as in heat) style).
-Oil my hair with camellia oil (when I can afford to buy some)
-Try to reach a goal length of one inch every month for 12 inches by April 11th 2013
-Drink more water
-Do cassia, catnip, and rooibus treatments
-If I get 1 inch a month that means have my length now of 18 all virgin plus 3 inches of length for 21 inches of virgin hair by April 11 2013. If 1 inch a month doesn't happen then the runner-up goal is to have this length of 18 inches all virgin by my 2nd anniversary.

~BoHemiAngel~
April 11th, 2012, 11:23 PM
It's looking beautiful!! Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary... looks like all that hard work is paying off!! :toast:

PurplePenguin
April 11th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Very lovely! Congrats on your 1 year anniversary!

oktobergoud
April 12th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Congrats, great progress! I actually like the look of your red ends and darker roots!

Thing is though, I don't think wearing a wig will be cooler in summer, on the contrary! Trust me, wigs are HOT! I think you're better off putting it up?

Falcore
April 12th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Oooooh the colour is so pretty!

Silverbrumby
April 12th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Congratulations! I've also started on the monistat and it appears to be working for me in reducing the shedding which I'm pretty sure at my age is hormone related.

I can't wait to see the 2nd year pics.

Lucky_Lucy
April 12th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Congrats on your anniversary! Your hair looks healthy! Glad you tried so many things, you really took good care of your hair!
I think that wearing a wig during summer isn't such a good idea, I mean it will be really hot! As oktobergoud says, you could just wear it up :D And think about it, what if you lived at the tropics, it doesn't mean you couldn't have healthy hair just because it's pretty much always sunny, right? :D
PS, being vegan really helps overall health, as well as hair health! Good choice ! :D

gogirlanime
April 12th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Thank you for all the replies and congratulations I feel really good that I did a long-term goal like this. Feels good to accomplish something. I'm glad to hear your methods too and I see some of you who replied to me joined after me, keep going and don't give up!! You'll feel great when you hit one year :)

Thanks for the advice about the wig, I will have to consider that. Maybe a cool hat instead. I'm going to be in the sun a lot this summer, I've gotta figure out something...

Amber_Maiden
April 12th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Congrats!!!!

lapushka
April 12th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Happy anniversary! :)

HereIGrowAgain
April 12th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Congratulations on your anniversary! Great growing, and huzzah for getting rid of damage! Yay!!!

kamikaze hair
April 12th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Your hair looks lovely. :)

sun-kissed
April 12th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Congratulations on growing out your lovely natural color, it looks so shiny and healthy!
I actually remember your posting last year and how I thought "whoa, she's dedicated!" about how much you do for your hair. I'm glad things are still working out for you! :D

Honeyfall
April 15th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Awesome job!

Gogirlanime I am just curious, do you have a background in science? Your approach to everything seems so methodical, and your attention to documentation is fantastic. I learn so much every time I stumble onto one of your threads.

Keep it up, I'm totally taking notes!

annamoonfairy
April 15th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Looks lovely

Desdesdes
April 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Good for you! Your hair looks lovely.

Maybe one of those sun blocking material hats might help you this summer? They come in many styles now.

carolinaberry
April 15th, 2012, 05:49 PM
You have definitely inspired me greatly! I read your greenhouse method and I have to say I am a bit relieved that it is a method for growth. I use these cheap plastic caps from Sally's to cover my hair when MTG is in it and every day when I wake up, the clear plastic is all steamy. I didn't know if that was bad for my hair. I plan on buying the other oils you list to add to my M-T-G when I have more hair-allowance money (I am limiting myself per month!). Anyway, your progress is very exciting.

EtherealDoll
April 16th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Congratulations on your anniversary! Your hair looks lovely!

Tressie
April 16th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Congratulations on your anniversary!! Great documentation by the way! :flower:

fluffypuffy
April 16th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Congratulations! Your hair looks lovely :)

jacqueline101
April 16th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Your hair is lovely.

PoppyCakes
May 31st, 2012, 08:47 PM
You have wonderful hair!
I was just curious as to why you are on a vegan diet but still take fish oil? Perhaps you are vegan for health reasons? If you wanted a vegan alternative to fish oil, you could take Flaxseed/Linseed oil. Flaxseed oil is six times richer in Omega 3 fatty acids than most fish oils. So it's better for you, AND you don't have to eat/drink oil secreted from little oily fish!

letibear
June 1st, 2012, 01:33 AM
Congratulations gogirlanime, and thank you for sharing your secrets! Nine inches of growth in one year is AMAZING!!! I like how you worked on having healthier hair first, before going for length- that's so hard for me to do sometimes! Great job ^_^

Wildcat Diva
June 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM
Great job. I think you should be very proud of the hard work and attention. You have beautiful hair to show for it. Good luck on year 2!

gogirlanime
June 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
You have wonderful hair!
I was just curious as to why you are on a vegan diet but still take fish oil? Perhaps you are vegan for health reasons? If you wanted a vegan alternative to fish oil, you could take Flaxseed/Linseed oil. Flaxseed oil is six times richer in Omega 3 fatty acids than most fish oils. So it's better for you, AND you don't have to eat/drink oil secreted from little oily fish!

it's easier to get the amount of DHA you need using fish oil instead of vegan oils, I know it's against "vegan rules" but this is the only exception I make in my vegan diet I know if I told most vegans this they would get very angry and get all PETA on me and scream out, "how can you call yourself a vegan" well, I am, I just make one exception. I am looking into that vegan DHA that they take from sea algae but it is soooooooooo expensive. I am also watching calories and I would have to take a couple of tablespoons of flax or something else (equaling about 280 calories) and I can't afford to use up 280 of my 1,400 calories a day on just getting my omegas.

Congratulations gogirlanime, and thank you for sharing your secrets! Nine inches of growth in one year is AMAZING!!! I like how you worked on having healthier hair first, before going for length- that's so hard for me to do sometimes! Great job ^_^

Thank you!!! Yes, I struggle too with that I'm only at 16.5 inches right now because I just did a 2 inch trim but I know it will be worth it. Like you, I direly want length more but my hair was/is so damaged that it will all break off unless I go full virgin first. When I run my fingers through my hair from scalp to tip I stop where the damage is but virgin, combs and my fingers glide through like butter :D

Great job. I think you should be very proud of the hard work and attention. You have beautiful hair to show for it. Good luck on year 2!

Thank you very much! :blossom:

GlennaGirl
June 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Good gracious but is your hair color ever thud-worthy. I try like hell to get that color about once a month. :p So beautiful and happy anniversary!

MintChocChip
June 3rd, 2012, 04:11 PM
Your hair looks great! I love how detailed you are about what you've been doing since you joined! There are some great tips which I'm keen to try :D

gogirlanime
June 3rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Good gracious but is your hair color ever thud-worthy. I try like hell to get that color about once a month. :p So beautiful and happy anniversary!

Awwwww thank you! What have you tried to get it that color? The only problem is my tips is the damage, with honey, lemon, henna and kool-aid when all my hair is virgin it should be this color

http://www.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/2010/03/09/0308-emma_stone_bd.jpg

Your hair looks great! I love how detailed you are about what you've been doing since you joined! There are some great tips which I'm keen to try :D

Thank you I am glad to help!!

PoppyCakes
June 3rd, 2012, 05:57 PM
I understand. I eat honey and call myself vegan, and people get on their high-horse about that too. I found these on ebay, they are all vegan, and less than $30 for 90 capsules. RDI of DHA is much less than 100mg a day, and these capsules give you double that. Not sure on the calories. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Deva-Nutrition-Vegan-Omega-3-DHA-90-SoftGels-/250829536885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a669afe75#ht_1306wt_911
Just wanted to help!:)

gogirlanime
June 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
I understand. I eat honey and call myself vegan, and people get on their high-horse about that too. I found these on ebay, they are all vegan, and less than $30 for 90 capsules. RDI of DHA is much less than 100mg a day, and these capsules give you double that. Not sure on the calories. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Deva-Nutrition-Vegan-Omega-3-DHA-90-SoftGels-/250829536885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a669afe75#ht_1306wt_911
Just wanted to help!:)

OH WOW!! Thank you so much!! I will be buying these instead thank you!! I eat honey and use honey too I don't see the harm in it, it doesn't hurt the bees and rarely do they use even a fraction of what they make.

PoppyCakes
June 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
No problem at all, more than happy to help a fellow vegan! I think I might even buy these too. That is my exact thoughts on honey :)