PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Lici1209
April 11th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I've been stretching washes since August (to every other day) and started using Yes! to Tomatoes! Shampoo at the same time. My hair has slightly adjusted, but not much. I'm curious if I should continue washing every other day, since it's been so long and has not seemed to adjust very much. It gets pretty oily toward the end of the two-day period. Any suggestions? :]

gossamer
April 11th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I've been stretching washes since August (to every other day) and started using Yes! to Tomatoes! Shampoo at the same time. My hair has slightly adjusted, but not much. I'm curious if I should continue washing every other day, since it's been so long and has not seemed to adjust very much. It gets pretty oily toward the end of the two-day period. Any suggestions? :]

How moisturizing is that shampoo? If it's meant for dry scalp/hair, it might not be a good one for stretching washes.

Alternately, how do you condition your hair? Are you using conditioner on your scalp as well as your length? This also might be making things too oily.

Lastly, what about alternating shampoo washes with water only washes daily? My mom's started doing this instead of shampoo washing every day like she used to (after my grandmother and I ganged up on her, LOL), and she says this is enough to keep greasy hair away without having to wash every day.

Lici1209
April 11th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Hm, the shampoo just says volumizing? I'm not sure otherwise!

I condition my hair every time, but I do it from the bottom of my ears down. The water only alternating may be the best option! I wasn't sure because I always heard that the more you wet the hair, the worse it is for it, but I've been seeing lots of people who wash every day still, so maybe that is incorrect?

Thank you very much for your advice!

julliams
April 11th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Honestly at this point, I would just rearrange my routine to every day and a half - so wash morning on monday and evening on tuesday, then morning on thursday, evening on friday etc. and see if that helps. I personally wouldn't stretch if it's not working for you.

holothuroidea
April 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM
You can try making every other day just a water only wash or an herbal rinse (like green tea, aloe juice, chamomile, hibiscus, catnip) there are tons of herbs that are good for hair. I just like to do them because they are fun and make me feel special. :D

ETA: I see someone already suggested the alternating WO wash. Sorry! Great minds think alike, though, right? ;)

Laylah
April 11th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Washing hair everyday shouldn't be damaging if done properly. The main concern with daily washing is drying out your hair too much. But since your hair is oily already on day 2, you should be fine with daily washes. The other concern with washing is damage when manipulating wet hair. This can be easily avoided by not using excess heat when drying hair and detangling gently with a wide tooth comb instead of brushing. Honestly, if stretching washes isn't working for you... try washing daily. Most techniques don't work for everybody.

khrystyne572
April 11th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I had to look this stuff up because the name was so interesting. You MUST tell me what the tomato one smells like! I'm envisioning something like spaghetti sauce.

barely.there
April 11th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I am using Yes to Carrots Conditioner. I wash my hair every 2.5-3 days and "wash" with ACV. as I understand it, "washing" with ACV doesnt work for everyone. so you might want to experiment.

do you use a boar bristle brush? us fine hairs can see the scalp so fast. If you use a BBB then it will help distribute the oil from your scalp to down your roots. I've found it really helps with the whole bald look. You can also try putting your hair up for an extra day and then washing it the next:

Day 1: wash day
Day 2: hair still looks okay? leave it down
Day 3: hair looks icky? put it up!
Day 4?: put it up?
Day 1: wash day :)

you can also train your scalp and try a water only system for a month like the others have suggested :D I havn't tried it :P

caiti42
April 12th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Stretching washing isn't for everyone. Mine feels dryer if I don't wash it every second day.

Jessy22284
April 12th, 2012, 06:59 AM

I'm so glad you asked this! I've never been able to stretch washes, my hair is ALWAYS oily the next day. No matter what. I can't seem to get it to adjust. No matter what shampoo I use. :mad: Glad to read all the responses that are reassuring that I can continue to shampoo every day as long as my hair isn't too dry. Thanks!! (sorry to hijack, just glad I didn't have to post a new thread!!)

Lici1209
April 12th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I'm so glad you asked this! I've never been able to stretch washes, my hair is ALWAYS oily the next day. No matter what. I can't seem to get it to adjust. No matter what shampoo I use. :mad: Glad to read all the responses that are reassuring that I can continue to shampoo every day as long as my hair isn't too dry. Thanks!! (sorry to hijack, just glad I didn't have to post a new thread!!)

Haha, no I'm glad I'm not the only one who was clueless about this!

Lici1209
April 12th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Washing hair everyday shouldn't be damaging if done properly. The main concern with daily washing is drying out your hair too much. But since your hair is oily already on day 2, you should be fine with daily washes. The other concern with washing is damage when manipulating wet hair. This can be easily avoided by not using excess heat when drying hair and detangling gently with a wide tooth comb instead of brushing. Honestly, if stretching washes isn't working for you... try washing daily. Most techniques don't work for everybody.

Good to know! Thank you :] I just didn't want to do anything bad, so I'm glad it won't harm it!

Lici1209
April 12th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I had to look this stuff up because the name was so interesting. You MUST tell me what the tomato one smells like! I'm envisioning something like spaghetti sauce.

Haha it really doesn't smell like much (at least to me). It's a very gentle scent, almost like...shoot I'm not sure! But it's not very tomatoey!

Honeyfall
April 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I had the same experience with that particular brand, my hair ALWAYS looked flat and greasy the next day - sometimes even later the same day. I think it might be better suited to people with exceptionally dry hair.

My hair is relatively oily to begin with and because it's fine there is really no hiding it. With other brands I've been able to stretch my washes to four days and still look fairly presentable, but I am afraid I never managed it with Yes! to Tomatoes!

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I had the same experience with that particular brand, my hair ALWAYS looked flat and greasy the next day - sometimes even later the same day. I think it might be better suited to people with exceptionally dry hair.

My hair is relatively oily to begin with and because it's fine there is really no hiding it. With other brands I've been able to stretch my washes to four days and still look fairly presentable, but I am afraid I never managed it with Yes! to Tomatoes!

Like to say I like your username, is it from Warriors?

Amanah
April 12th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I feel like I need to clean my hair every day, so I changed to washing with conditioner only.
I use the one so many here use, Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner.
My hair feels clean, not oily, but it is also very soft, moisturized, and without tangles.

So, I CO every day, and then just gently finger comb it, let it dry naturally, and that's it.

Honeyfall
April 12th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Like to say I like your username, is it from Warriors?

Aww, thanks! Actually no, I just sort of made it up. My hair is kind of honey-colored, and I when I started growing I liked the mental picture of a waterfall of honey cascading down my back - hence the name.

But Warriors, sounds like something interesting to look into! ;)

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Aww, thanks! Actually no, I just sort of made it up. My hair is kind of honey-colored, and I when I started growing I liked the mental picture of a waterfall of honey cascading down my back - hence the name.

But Warriors, sounds like something interesting to look into! ;)

Do you like cats, if so, look into it PLEASE, its THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!! (sorry, I'm obsessed):o

Lici1209
April 12th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I feel like I need to clean my hair every day, so I changed to washing with conditioner only.
I use the one so many here use, Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner.
My hair feels clean, not oily, but it is also very soft, moisturized, and without tangles.

So, I CO every day, and then just gently finger comb it, let it dry naturally, and that's it.

I have never tried CO, though I've heard a lot about it. So many new things to try!

Oh! So maybe it is more moisturizing than I thought! Can I ask what brands you have had success with?

Honeyfall
April 12th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Do you like cats, if so, look into it PLEASE, its THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!! (sorry, I'm obsessed):o

Hehe, I love cats! I will look into it, thanks for the recommendation. :)

Oh! So maybe it is more moisturizing than I thought! Can I ask what brands you have had success with?

I've recently got into shampoo bars (I've had great luck with Chagrin Valley's Beer and Honey bar), but before that I did pretty well with just about anything from Organix. I used their Cherry Blossom Ginseng shampoo and conditioner, chosen almost entirely on smell, I found it gave me a lot of volume without making my hair feel terribly stripped. Their Coconut series is also good, but the scent can be a bit overwhelming. Using that brand I could go three days or so, now with the shampoo bar I can go four. ;)

SpinDance
April 12th, 2012, 09:59 AM
How do you wear your hair the 2nd day? I find I stretch washes best by putting my hair up.

Have you tried diluting your shampoo/conditioner? It's amazing how little shampoo is actually needed to get my scalp clean. How about CO? I tried CO for months, but eventually decided that my scalp is better with a tiny bit of shampoo, so now I do CWC with very dilute shampoo, and the conditioner on my head and shoulder area I also dilute. When I have to get my hair wet more than a couple times a week I'll do CO a time or so between using any shampoo.

I'm not familiar with that shampoo but perhaps the shampoo or whatever conditioner you might use are affecting your results? If I use a heavy conditioner my hair gets greasy faster.

Lici1209
April 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Hehe, I love cats! I will look into it, thanks for the recommendation. :)

I've recently got into shampoo bars (I've had great luck with Chagrin Valley's Beer and Honey bar), but before that I did pretty well with just about anything from Organix. I used their Cherry Blossom Ginseng shampoo and conditioner, chosen almost entirely on smell, I found it gave me a lot of volume without making my hair feel terribly stripped. Their Coconut series is also good, but the scent can be a bit overwhelming. Using that brand I could go three days or so, now with the shampoo bar I can go four. ;)

I'll look into those! Maybe it's time for a change when I'm out of this shampoo :] I'm just always nervous to switch, you know?

Lici1209
April 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM
How do you wear your hair the 2nd day? I find I stretch washes best by putting my hair up.

Have you tried diluting your shampoo/conditioner? It's amazing how little shampoo is actually needed to get my scalp clean. How about CO? I tried CO for months, but eventually decided that my scalp is better with a tiny bit of shampoo, so now I do CWC with very dilute shampoo, and the conditioner on my head and shoulder area I also dilute. When I have to get my hair wet more than a couple times a week I'll do CO a time or so between using any shampoo.

I'm not familiar with that shampoo but perhaps the shampoo or whatever conditioner you might use are affecting your results? If I use a heavy conditioner my hair gets greasy faster.

My hair is up quite a bit. My routine is I usually shampoo at night and put in a high bun overnight, then the next day I may wear it down a little bit. The next day I keep it up, but one professor at the law school wear I work makes comments how he can tell my hair is oily >.< Diluting might be helpful! I guess I have a lot more experimenting to do :]

Thanks everyone!

Jessy22284
April 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
The next day I keep it up, but one professor at the law school wear I work makes comments how he can tell my hair is oily >.<

Wow, that's incredibly rude!! :mad: What a jerk! My ex-boyfriend's mother used to not-so-subtly tell me my hair was oily in the mornings after I would visit with her house with him occasionally on the weekends. What's the matter with people!!

Lici1209
April 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Wow, that's incredibly rude!! :mad: What a jerk! My ex-boyfriend's mother used to not-so-subtly tell me my hair was oily in the mornings after I would visit with her house with him occasionally on the weekends. What's the matter with people!!

I'm so sorry! I know, I can't imagine commenting on someone's hair (or skin etc.) like that. He says he is trying to help, so he might have good intentions, but it's made me a bit paranoid :P

Jessy22284
April 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'm so sorry! I know, I can't imagine commenting on someone's hair (or skin etc.) like that. He says he is trying to help, so he might have good intentions, but it's made me a bit paranoid :P

How is that trying to help? I would be careful before saying that even to one of my friends, let alone one of my coworkers, or students!! Nut job!! It would make me paranoid, too, for sure! Is he very close to you? I.e., mentor? If one of my professors in med school said that to me I would have lost it! :rolleyes: I'm so sorry that happened to you! I think it's very inappropriate of him, definitely.

Lici1209
April 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM
How is that trying to help? I would be careful before saying that even to one of my friends, let alone one of my coworkers, or students!! Nut job!! It would make me paranoid, too, for sure! Is he very close to you? I.e., mentor? If one of my professors in med school said that to me I would have lost it! :rolleyes: I'm so sorry that happened to you! I think it's very inappropriate of him, definitely.

Not super close, he's one of the professors we see in our office more, and we joke around, but I wouldn't bare my personal life to him. I just hope everyone else isn't thinking it and he's just being too picky?

Jessy22284
April 13th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Not super close, he's one of the professors we see in our office more, and we joke around, but I wouldn't bare my personal life to him. I just hope everyone else isn't thinking it and he's just being too picky?

Yea - I would think so. I would just ignore him. And if it becomes too much I would very politely (since he's your professor) pull him aside and ask him to stop. I'm sure law school is stressful enough without someone picking at your appearance. :mad: