PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Going cone free

Risha
April 11th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Hey!

I would like to try going cone free.

I know cones aren't evil and necessarily bad for everyones hair, because obviously various people will have varous effects of the cones to their hair. So, let me explain why I decided to try going cone-free in the first place. The thing is that I personally have really no idea whether it's bad or good for my hair. I don't think I have ever used cone-free hair products before. What I do know though, is that I don't know exactly even what texture type my hair is. My usual hair-washing routine = shampoo (with sulfates, but I have noticed it also has cones) & conditioner (with cones). Then towel-drying, followed by finger-combing and combing while still damp.

The usual results? POOFY hair... Not sure about the texture. Surely not stick straight, though. And I see no ringlets either. But I would like to classify my hair type/texture, because I want to know.

The interesting thing thing though, is something that happened a few years ago. I was at a summer open-air concert with a friend, and that night as we were dancing it suddently started raining. We stayed there for a while anyways (basically everyone did, there were some pretty awesome bands). After a while we were all completely soaking wet. Then when we left and went indoors into a restaurant I wanted to comb my wet hair, just like I'm used to. But I couldn't, because I realised I left my comb at home. Yikes. So that evening my hair air-dried there without me combing or touching it in any way, I guess. Then as I went into the restroom a while later and looked into the mirror, without even suspecting anything,... Wow, curly hair, actual ringlets. shudder: really unexpected and I have no idea what it means. How come hair is not like that after combing or brushing?

Any advice and tips in general or regarding hair products is welcome, as I would like to do some cone-free shopping. Which cone-free conditioner do you recommend? And which shampoo? I was thinking about getting one shampoo that is cone-free and sulfate-free, and another one that is very rich in sulfates (I would like to remove all the buildup with that first). Which shampoos are rich in sulfates?

caiti42
April 11th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hi Risha. For a sulfate rich shampoo you probably want to look for a 'clarifying' shampoo. Most brands make one of these.

I don't use sulfate free shampoo so I can't help there, but a brilliant cone free conditioner is Garnier Triple Nutrition.

Have fun with your hair!

Kiwiwi
April 11th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Haha, you shouls browse through this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003
It'scurlies with brushed hair = = poof! ^_^

Yes, you are a curly. I suggest The Curly Girl Handbook (it's an actual book). It made me understand my hair and love my curls :-D

Risha
April 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hi Risha. For a sulfate rich shampoo you probably want to look for a 'clarifying' shampoo. Most brands make one of these.

I don't use sulfate free shampoo so I can't help there, but a brilliant cone free conditioner is Garnier Triple Nutrition.

Have fun with your hair!
Thank you, Caiti42!

Haha, you shouls browse through this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003
It'scurlies with brushed hair = = poof! ^_^

Yes, you are a curly. I suggest The Curly Girl Handbook (it's an actual book). It made me understand my hair and love my curls :-D
That's a nice thread, can relate to all the poofyness indeed. And The Curly Girl handbook sounds great, will look into it. Thanks for sharing! :D

battles
April 11th, 2012, 04:57 PM

Have fun with your hair!

Triple Nutrition actually has cones in it now, they've changed the formula. :flower:

swearnsue
April 11th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I just started using Loreal EverSleek shampoo that has no cones and no sulfates. For conditioner I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. This combo is working for me right now but you know how it goes, as soon as something works then mysterious changes happen and it's time to experiment all over again! For clarifying you might want to consider baking soda. But research first it can be very drying but I like it (and the price is right!). Good luck!

alyanna
April 11th, 2012, 07:55 PM
The sulfate-free shampoo would depend on your hair type. I use a herbal, protein rich shampoo for my curly, but very fine hair, and it seems to give it some thickness.

For a silicone-free condish, I recommend Tresemme Naturals, which is really softening without being greasy. It also works for conditioner-only washing if you're into that.

Going cone-free has been one of the best things I've done for my hair since following LHC advice. That and damp oiling my ends.

HintOfMint
April 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I'm still on the hunt for a cone-free conditioner to replace my Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, but a good clarifying conditioner is Neutrogena Anti-Residue.

For the sake of your scalp, I would be cautious about sulfate-free and CO washing for your scalp. I personally experienced shedding when I tried those products and methods. If your scalp prefers, you can keep sulfates, just do CWC to avoid the shampoo reaching your ends. That way, your length gets the benefits of CO and your scalp stays healthy.

Good luck! Cones had me thinking I had "poofy straight" hair for a long time. It took New Orleans level humidity for me to realize I had some serious waves.

door72067
April 11th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I really like the Renpure Organics in the red bottle

I recently went cone/sulfate free and my little bit of advice is be patient and let your hair adjust to the new products before panicking (like I did!) I needed about 6 washes before my hair settled down and adjusted to being without cones and sulfates

after the first 2 or 3, I thought my hair was drying out and becoming damaged but really, I think it was because I didn't clarify (read about doing so too late into the process) and the build-up washed off a little at a time, giving me a funny texture for a bit

but now, my hair feels amazing, strong and healthy

cheetahfast
April 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Drying your hair in a cotton t-shirt or turbie twist might help with the poofyness.
I think V05 is a good brand to start with since it is cheap. The "tea therapy" ones work well for me. I hated the "milk" ones.

I use burt's bees pomegranate when i need to shampoo, it's sulfate free.
Before starting I had used head and shoulders to clarify, it worked well. I'm not sure which one it was since I didn't buy it, my brother uses it.

lamia83
August 7th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hi Alyana,

What is the name of the shampoo that you use? I think we have similar hair. Thanks!

Humbug454
August 7th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I use Tresemme Naturals for both sulfate free shampoo and 'cone free conditioner.

If you're in the UK then the Body Shop also do some nice 'cone free stuff! I'm not sure if they are in any other countries though so can't help there!