PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joe's Ascorbic Acid Powder?

caadam
April 11th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Has anyone tried it with water for rinses? If anyone has, how was it?

I noticed some bottle of the ascorbic acid at my local Trader Joe's and it was about four dollars cheaper than Now Healthy Foods brand. Sadly, I just got that brand of ascorbic acid in the mail today, but for future reference... anyone have any thoughts of TJ's brand?

If the mods want to move this to the conventional hair products sub forum (whatever it's actually called), then by all means! :D

Thanks! :flower:

longcurlygirl<3
April 11th, 2012, 04:28 PM
What is that acid thing? And what is it for/ suppose to do?

caadam
April 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Ascorbic acid powder is sometimes used to neutralize chlorine in water. I bought it because my water does have chlorine in it, and honestly don't want that in my hair. lol

So I wondered if TJ's brand might be the same as the brand I got, or if it has anything extra or somehow doesn't work as effectively. :)

longcurlygirl<3
April 11th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Try maybe, it's probably organic too I guess if sold as TJ'S and cheaper. But how would you use it?

caadam
April 11th, 2012, 04:39 PM
From what I understand, you only need to use a little bit in a gallon of water in order to neutralize any chlorine in it. If this works for me, then I'll be very happy. lol

And good point! I'll definitely will have to see if the TJ's brand is all natural and such. I just know that not all their brands are as awesome as I and some people have hoped for. Their hair products are pretty good, but I've been noticing some unhealthy stuff here and there where I thought those products WOULD be healthy. You know what I mean? :)

vagabundo_verde
April 11th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Oh, I love their Nourish Conditioner! Please don't tell me that's unhealthy stuff - it makes my hair so soft, and smells so nice!!

silverpiper
April 12th, 2012, 12:20 PM
ascorbic acid is basically vitamin c and it's mainly used as a preservative for fruit

XcaliburGirl
April 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I haven't tried it, but I've heard of using it instead of ACV after using shampoo bars or baking soda.

caadam
April 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM
ascorbic acid is basically vitamin c and it's mainly used as a preservative for fruit

I know what it is. I have some myself, but it's not TJ's brand.

I tried my brand of it last night and it worked pretty well! :)

caadam
April 12th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Oh, I love their Nourish Conditioner! Please don't tell me that's unhealthy stuff - it makes my hair so soft, and smells so nice!!

Nah. lol I have their Nourish conditioner, too! It's all good. I would use it on the length of my hair when I was CO washing. :D

Siiri
April 12th, 2012, 04:02 PM
It should say in the packaging whether it has any fillers. If not, it's the same stuff, just cheaper.

I've been meaning to get some myself, but I haven't found a small enough measuring spoon, I don't want to use too much :(

caadam
April 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM
It should say in the packaging whether it has any fillers. If not, it's the same stuff, just cheaper.

I've been meaning to get some myself, but I haven't found a small enough measuring spoon, I don't want to use too much :(

Yeah. lol I tried guesstimating with my basic measuring spoons, and it actually turned out all right. I did have a weird sour smell in my hair when it was damp last night, but when I woke up it was gone. :)

Amber_Maiden
April 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I've used ascorbic acid in my hair, but not Trader Joe's.

Siiri
April 12th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah. lol I tried guesstimating with my basic measuring spoons, and it actually turned out all right. I did have a weird sour smell in my hair when it was damp last night, but when I woke up it was gone. :)

I'm sure it doesn't really matter whether you get the exact measurement. And I guess what's the right amount also depends on the pH of your water etc.

But I did find some mini measuring spoons sets on ebay, the smallest is 1/60 teaspoon. That's pretty small.