PDA

View Full Version : Question for Vinegar Rinsers

carolinaberry
April 11th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hey. I'm just curious for those of you who use vinegar rinses. ( I have done a forum search and cannot find the exact info I want)...how do you deal with the smell? To me, vinegar is one of the worst smells on earth...I have a friend who uses it to clean her house and her house always has a vague sour vinegary smell (which she says she likes). So, does the smell not stay in your hair or is this just a pleasant smell for some people, like my friend?

fridgee
April 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I add a couple of drops of essential oils to my rinse to take the edge off the smell and that are supposed to be good for the scalp (tea tree and rosemary). But my rinse really doesn't smell that strong (it's pretty dilute) and the smell fades pretty fast.

Carolyn
April 11th, 2012, 02:47 PM
The smell goes away once my hair is dry. I never smell it. I don't find vinegar an offensive smell but I am aware of it's distinctive smell. I use white vinegar since I'm a blonde and it doesn't have the pungency of ACV. The few times I used ACV the smell was gone in 2-3 hours. I have a very keen sense of smell so it's not that I can't smell things.

sun-kissed
April 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
As far as I can remember, back when I used vinegar rinses I never had a noticeable vinegar smell to my hair after it was dried. I don't know if this was just because I wasn't looking for it, or what, but it never had a strong lingering smell.

ravenreed
April 11th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I like the smell myself. I have a friend who hates the smell as much as you do and she always knows if I have just washed my hair, even if my hair is dry. I try not to wash it right before seeing her. I also using an herbal vinegar rinse and adding things like lavender to try to make the smell less vinegary.

barely.there
April 11th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I use ACV and I rinse it out. The smell dissipates after your hair is dry. My husband hates the vinegar smell and has had no complaints. I use conditioner afterwards as well.

PolarCathy
April 11th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I used vinegar a few times, not very regularly though. I found that on me ACV stank all day long, while white vinegar dissipated quickly. Depends on the person I guess.

Amber_Maiden
April 11th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Sometimes my hair smells like ACV while it dries, but goes away after.

Nera
April 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I also REALLY dislike the smell of vinegar, even though ACV is less bad. I second that the smell doesn't linger once hair is dry.

caadam
April 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM
For one, like everyone says, the smell lingers just for a bit and then goes away.

Also, sometimes people make a mistake using TOO much, and as a result, will smell like vinegar all day. lol I have a plastic condiment bottle, and I put two small capfulls of ACV and fill the rest up with tepid water. That's all I need. :D

swearnsue
April 11th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I use a very diluted white vinegar rinse, and rinse well with warm/coolish water and never smell vinegar later. I can still smell the conditioner even though the vinegar rinse was last.

Loveless
April 11th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I too use ACV as a rinse, two tablespoons to two cups of distilled water. After I rinse it out, I apply conditioner.

There is absolutely no smell after the point when my hair is half-dry.

GRU
April 11th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I don't smell it afterwards, but you can always use a different acid instead. There's nothing magical that says it has to be vinegar. Get some Citric Acid Powder and use a pinch of that in water -- no smell!

bumblebums
April 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I deal with the smell by using lemon or lime juice instead. There is no magic in vinegar--it mostly works because of its acid content, so you can use any sour mixture (though watch the proportions--you don't want to use too much).

I used to use essential oils with white vinegar but my hair still smelled of vinegar. I think some hair is just grabby when it comes to smells.

bumblebums
April 11th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Wow, GRU, we are almost word-for-word here.

So yeah, vinegar is not magic :)

GRU
April 11th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Wow, GRU, we are almost word-for-word here.

So yeah, vinegar is not magic :)

Great minds think alike! :thumbsup:

kmoc123
April 11th, 2012, 07:35 PM
The smell does go away when my hair dries...don't get it in your EYES though!!!

MandyBeth
April 11th, 2012, 07:37 PM
My 7 year old will not let me near her with vinegar. Lime juice or citric acid powder. Not an area worth fighting, so since we always have citric acid powder, we use that.

carolinaberry
April 11th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Thank you so much for all the answers!

PixxieStix
April 11th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I use diluted ACV and then rinse with cold water, never notice a smell after drying. I want to try diluted lemon juice rinse down the road since I have some huge bottles of it I got from Costco, since I do like the smell of lemon much more than ACV. White vinegar is okay, and I like the smell of rice vinegar (probably because it makes me think of sushi!) but that is too expensive for my hair.

ChloeDharma
April 12th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I use ACV as a final rinse, partly for the vinegar and partly to allow essential oils to disperse in the water better. I use a blend of oils so this might make a difference but in about 9 years of doing this i can't ever remember smelling of vinegar once my hair dried.
That said, i might have developed a tolerance to it :shrug:

jaquelines
April 12th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I think it depends from hair to hair ( and scalp ) . I use ACV without any oils added and when my hair has dried the smell is gone. I used to add a few drops of lavendel oil. Smells also nice.