PDA

View Full Version : Hot Oil Treatments?

sun-kissed
April 11th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Unfortunately for me, both "hot" and "oil" are three letter words, and not searchable! Lol.
I'm looking for information on warm-oil-on-scalp treatments for stimulating growth; I want to know how they work, how to do it, what to be wary of, etc. Is there a thread or article on this, or no? I recently discovered the use of hot oil on Youtube, but in an attempt to look further into it I realized I have no idea how I would search for it.

Any and all information on this is welcome!

fridgee
April 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I have no idea about hot oil, but I find using google more effective than the on site search. Just prefix your search with 'long hair community'. Usually works well. You can then click more results from the long hair community under the first set of results if none of the ones it brings up it quite right.

There is something else you can write along the lines of 'site: long hair community' that will use google to search the site but I can't remember exactly what it is, maybe someone else will know! Hope that helps :flower:

MissDixie
April 12th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hot oil massages are great to do! Depending on your preference you can do it once a week or once a month. There are a lot of different oils that you can try. Such as almond, coconut,avocado, grape seed, olive , argan oil and many others. I normally use virgin coconut oil. Figuring out how much oil you should use is the tricky part. If you use to much it can take a few washes to remove. I recommend using a little amount the first time and add more the next treatment if you feel you would've been okay using more. I put mine in an applicator bottle with a sprout twist top. Warm the bottle up in hot water. Never microwave your oil, I read it removes the beneficial nutrients out of it. Next apply to scalp and length. Pay special attention to the ends. It needs it the most. I always add extra oil the very ends. Using a boar bristle brush to help distribute the oil through out your hair better. Then you can either wrap a plastic bag around your head or take a warm damp towel and wrap your hair up. If your feeling lazy you can also just put your hair in a bun. Leave in for at least 30mins. Some people leave over night. Then just wash out! Ta-da!! Soft hair!!

Research the oils. Coconut is my favorite because it's one of the view that actually penetrates the hair shaft!

MissDixie
April 12th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I forgot to add that after you apply it to the scalp, gently massage your scalp. If you can find a willing victim to do it....it feels awesome!! Massaging stimulates the blood flow to the scalp. Blood carries nutrients so doing this would help the hair roots get more nutrients in return healthy happy hair:)

ChloeDharma
April 13th, 2012, 03:25 AM
If you are looking to enhance growth then i would advise including essential oils. There are some threads about this over on the recipes and natural haircare forum but rosemary, lavender, bay, tea tree, geranium, ylang ylang and spikenard/jatamansi are good ones to look into (though there are also many others too). Check for contraindications for each oil though.
Base oils if it is growth from the scalp you are looking for, avocado, emu, sesame and virgin coconut are particularly good, especially the avocado and emu both of which penetrate the skin very well so are excellent choices.
The other oils previously suggested are also very good, as mentioned coconut oil penetrates the shaft of the hair well. From personal use i find sweet almond oil extremely softening and definately worth considering for a conditioning treatment.