PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil question

infinity_girl
April 11th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Ok, sorry if this sounds rather convoluted but I have wondered about this for a while. I understand that coconut oil is one of the oils that penetrates the hair shaft and can strengthen and moisturise the hair.

I find that when I use coconut oil on my (dry) hair it leaves my hair feeling and looking greasy so I wash it off after a few hours. Is this long enough for it to penetrate the hair? Also, if I use coconut oil regularly will it build up moisture in the dryer ends and strengthen the hair over time so that there are less splits after S&D or does it only work whilst it is on your hair (i.e. once it is absorbed does it gradually build up with use to repair the hair shaft)?

I have tried many things as I have very dry ends (from pre-LHC days) that are split. I do S&D and have changed my hair care regimen drastically. However, I still have the dryness and the splits.

?

HintOfMint
April 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM
The "penetration factor" (sorry that sounds gross!) of coconut oil only works when on clarified and unconditioned hair. Basically, it needs no coatings in the way and preferably a slightly ruffled cuticle to allow the lauric acid to penetrate.

I've used it with success over washed, conditioned and still wet/damp hair, but it was functioning the way any other oil or butter functions, to seal in any moisture and smooth the cuticle to prevent ruffling when the water evaporates.

julya
April 11th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I use coconut oil as a prewash treatment, sometimes using a heating pad to help it penetrate. I usually leave it on overnight. I use a copious amount of oil, and cover it with plastic. I imagine that the extra coconut oil helps to dissolve the coatings on my hair, and that some penetrates. I can tell when I need to do it again, because my hair stays wet longer after washing.

katienoonan
April 11th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I also use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment... but often I will just use it on my crunchy ends overnight and wash it off in the morning... mmm greasy!

As for it's effectiveness I couldn't say... my hair is so weak or damaged, anything other than iron filings and superglue would be useless at stopping my breakage ;)

Siiri
April 11th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Also, if I use coconut oil regularly will it build up moisture in the dryer ends and strengthen the hair over time so that there are less splits after S&D or does it only work whilst it is on your hair (i.e. once it is absorbed does it gradually build up with use to repair the hair shaft)?

I've understood that that's the theory behind the oil shampoo method, where you add coconut oil to a non-coating shampoo. Like others have said, the oil can only penetrate if there are no coatings between the hair and the oil, and that's what you'd be trying to achieve with the oil shampoo method. I don't think it'll mend split ends though.

Here is an article about the oil shampoo:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191

and a thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063

Laylah
April 11th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Well, I can only tell you what's worked in my experience.

It usually takes me overnight for a light coating of coconut oil to soak in for me so it no longer looks greasy, and a few days if it's a heavy coating. Sometimes in summer I do my hair in cornrows and leave them in for a few days. When I start, I put enough coconut oil in for it to be stringy, but when I take out the braids my hair is floofy again. And about coconut oil only working on clarified hair... I use cones sometimes and coconut oil works just as well as when I don't.

Coconut oil won't repair damage to your hair. Part of the idea behind using oils, silicones, butters, etc is to seal in moisture (water) in your hair. Some oils and silicones coat your hair, which reduces evaporation of the water in your hair. Coconut oil coats it and soaks in a bit as well, so in theory, it should provide a thicker layer. The other purpose of oils, silicones etc are to make your hair slippery and shiny. When they coat your hair, they make the cuticle like flatter and give the hair a smoother surface, which allows light to reflect more and the hairs slippery. So... that's it. It won't build up moisture in your hair or fix what's damaged. But, it can make the damage look better and prevent future damage by giving your hair less friction and a covering from the elements.

I hope this helps :)

longcurlygirl<3
April 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I use coconut oil on dry hair but mist with water so it is damp but not all the way dry. I put the oil then braid. I never get greasy hair, so I leave it in for 2 days then wash.

swearnsue
April 11th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I use coconut oil before I shampoo and baby oil on wet hair after. No matter how careful I am to put in the teeny-tiniest bit of coconut oil it is too much. Of course I don't have much hair... yet.