PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of dandruff?

cutiepie11
April 11th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Hi guys :) I was wondering what's the best way to get rid of dandruff? I don't have it that bad but obviously I'd rather get rid of it, any advice?

XcaliburGirl
April 11th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I like Nizoral. It's still a bit harsh, but not as bad as other dandruff shampoos I've tried. Sometimes, though, what I thought was dandruff was really 'cone build-up. I have had a lot of success switching to 'cone-free shampoo and conditioner and making sure to scrub my scalp thoroughly with the pads of my fingers every time I wash (daily). Then, if I still get dandruff, I use the Nizoral once, and that usually helps.

ladyfey
April 11th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Second Nizoral shampoo! The only thing that has worked for me.

ladylowtide
April 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Henna! :magic: Works for at least 5 weeks on me.

Mommyof4
April 11th, 2012, 10:39 AM
My husband is plagued by extreme dandruff. No medicated shampoos bring relief. I treat it like cradle cap and it stays away for a little while. I coat his entire head with mineral oil or coconut oil, olive oil if it's all I have. I massage it in, let it soak for a few minutes. I take a fine tooth comb and comb vigorously all over until it looks like it has snowed lol. I rinse for several minutes, then use a light conditioner that is cone-free (V05 works great) and CO wash 2 or 3 times until his hair feels clean. He has really short hair, so it doesn't take much conditioner. Good luck :)

PrincessIdril
April 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I've never had dandruff but I use Lush Soak and Float shampoo bar for my psorasis and it helps with that. My mum also uses it when she gets dandruff and it really cleares it up:
https://www.lush.co.uk/product/363/Soak-and-Float-Shampoo-Bar

Just a warning it does have SLS in, personally I don't mind SLS shampoos but I thought I should point it out just in case you don't go for them :)

Amber_Maiden
April 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Using pure undiluted ACV and leaving it on fr about 5min a wash cured mine!

Bunnysaur
April 11th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I put some neem oil in my shampoo about a month and a half ago. I haven't seen a flake since.

Tealpuffin
April 11th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I tried specialized shampoos, ACV and oil and found that none of them work. i found that although it is quite drying baby shampoo works best I also soak my ends in conditioner just to reduce the drying.

caadam
April 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I would say you should try and rule out buildup first. Because if it's buildup, that can be rid of easily, usually with an acidic rinse or a cheapo clarifying shampoo like VO5 kiwi. Acid rinses that help with buildup are lemon, lime, ACV (sometimes), and citric acid.

If you've ruled out buildup and feel that it really is dandruff, then ACV is a good acidic rinse to help reset the pH balance of your scalp, which results in less dandruff. You can also try honey and different oils. Take your pick, but do them all one at a time steadily. :)

TiffanieJean
April 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Are you sure you have dandruff and not just a dry scalp? If you have large, greasy or waxy flakes that are yellow or grayish that is dandruff. If the flakes are white and smaller it is just dry scalp (very common).

Since dandruff is a bactirial or fungal infection one of the drug store shampoos already mentioned would work for you. If you want something more natural Castor Oil or Tea Tree Oil (or a mix of both) would work too.

If it's a bad case of dry scalp Castor Oil + Jojoba Oil hair masks work very well.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 22nd, 2012, 08:18 AM
I one time read somewhere that sometimes what we think is dandruff is actually shampoo that has not been rinsed out properly. Once you think that you have rinsed out all of the shampoo make sure that you do a second thorough run through. So just when you think its been rinsed, do it again. I don't know if this will work for you, but it did work for me.

Tristania
July 22nd, 2012, 08:32 AM
When I had really bad dandruff, I mixed a few drops of tea tree oil with a few drops of jojoba oil, rubbed it between my hands, and massaged it into my scalp while it was still damp after washing. I did this for a few weeks, and the dandruff disappeared.