PDA

View Full Version : No more hairspray...?

Jessy22284
April 11th, 2012, 05:44 AM
So, I never knew before LHC that I can't use hairspray :confused: .... my hair won't hold a curl, heck, even a wave without hairspray... excuse my newbie-ness, but does anyone have any alchohol free/no hair damaging suggestions? Will aloe-gel work as well, or moisturizing mousse? I'm kind of at a loss...

The only styling products I use daily now are B and B Prep and Aveda phomollient with honey. But I need more when I'm going to curl or wave my hair and... I have my Caruso coming today :magic:

Amber_Maiden
April 11th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Aloe does help with frizz, and helps hold curl.

Jessy22284
April 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Thanks Amber Maiden :)

Ishje
April 11th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I think Karpati is a brand that sells alcohol free hairspray.
if I remember correctly at least, I might be wrong, but you could check it out :)

CarpeDM
April 11th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I like this hairspray a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/Styling-Alcohol-Organic-Excellence-Chemical/dp/B000FNAAOI/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334156575&sr=8-3-spell

Siiri
April 11th, 2012, 09:24 AM
How do you normally curl your hair?

My hair doesn't hold curl well either if I use heat (hot rollers or a flat iron on dry hair), but the curls stay until the next wash if I use rollers on damp hair and let them air dry. I use foam rollers, but there are a lot of different options, like rag curls. I don't even need any product. My hair is wavier than yours though, so it may hold curl a little better, but you could try wet setting occasionally if you already haven't.

sfgirl
April 12th, 2012, 01:47 AM
How do you normally curl your hair?

My hair doesn't hold curl well either if I use heat (hot rollers or a flat iron on dry hair), but the curls stay until the next wash if I use rollers on damp hair and let them air dry. I use foam rollers, but there are a lot of different options, like rag curls. I don't even need any product. My hair is wavier than yours though, so it may hold curl a little better, but you could try wet setting occasionally if you already haven't.

My hair is exactly the same. Heat curls (especially when I had virgin, healthy hair), never held. Now they hold, but with a lot of hairspray, to the point of crunchiness. I've alwasy had luck with heat free curling though.

Jessy22284
April 12th, 2012, 06:49 AM
:) Thanks for all the suggestions!

I tried my Caruso rollers today - I used moisturizing mousse - very very light hairspray, mainly just a light dusting on the outer layer. I looked for Aloe gel yesterday. You would not believe this - but I could not find it at any drug stores near me :confused: I'm going to go to Wal-mart this weekend and have a look. Otherwise I'm going to just order it online. So far it's holding fine. But - it's only been an hour. My hair started off huge, very curly, then windy walk in, and we're down to waves.

colibri
April 12th, 2012, 09:34 AM
you can use flax seed gel.for me it holds the curl very well without the cunchiness of hairspray

IStand4u
April 13th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I second the flax seed gel! You can make it yourself for pennies a batch, it holds amazingly! No crunch, and moisturizing! I used to use it for everything! It made my hair curlier than before, and my curls weren't all tangly and still soft and bouncy all day for 3 days! I did add white vanilla and tea tree oil to the gel to help it last longer and make it smell awesome! HTH!

Jessy22284
April 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I second the flax seed gel! You can make it yourself for pennies a batch, it holds amazingly! No crunch, and moisturizing! I used to use it for everything! It made my hair curlier than before, and my curls weren't all tangly and still soft and bouncy all day for 3 days! I did add white vanilla and tea tree oil to the gel to help it last longer and make it smell awesome! HTH!

Do you have a recipe suggestion I can follow/copycat??

tiarefleur
April 14th, 2012, 09:06 PM
You can always try non-aerosol hairsprays (less sticky and damaging). Giovanni has one called L.A. Hold Hair Spritz. It's made with mostly oils, and alcohol is way far down on the list of ingredients. I've heard that it works well!