PDA

View Full Version : Nervous to get my hair trimmed...

A. Correira
April 10th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I know that it is a little odd to get nervous over a small trim, but I kinda am. I decided that I want to change my hair and get some highlights or something. My friend who works at an Aveda salon is going to do it. I trust her, she has done my hair for my wedding and has cut it before for me, but I am nervous. I have been growing out an A-line the past 6 months and my hair is now past my shoulders but the back is still slightly shorted than the front. You can't tell when I leave my hair naturally curly/wavy but if it is straighter, you can tell. I know that I need to get it evened out, but I'm not sure if my hair is a comfortable length for me to trim it. I know I need to and it would grow better after but I'm scared to cut it!

Anyone else get nervous?

spidermom
April 10th, 2012, 06:57 PM
You'll be fine! I decided to trim my own hair recently and was a little nervous, but it turned out so well. Then I got a gigantic growth spurt.

A. Correira
April 10th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I hope that happens to me too, Spidermom. Usually when I cut my hair it grows like crazy, but last time I cut it, it didn't grow like it normally would. Just recently my hair started growing relatively fast again.

sarahramen
April 10th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I know what you mean, I always get nervous before a haircut or even a microtrim!:p

caiti42
April 11th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Don't worry I'm always nervous before a hair cut as well!

Jessfoz
April 11th, 2012, 02:49 AM
I'm too scared to go for a trim! Once you start getting longer than yu've been in ages, and care for it this much, invest time and money, bound to get nervous! You're lucky you have a friend doing it! :)

Jessy22284
April 11th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I get nervous too, and I always second guess myself after I've made the appointment! But you trust her, and you'll probably feel loads better once you get it trimmed! Good luck!!

UltraBella
April 11th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I was really nervous yesterday, but I was having a large cut. Small trims don't worry me at all but I think it's quite common for most people. I am sure it will look great !!!

A. Correira
April 11th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I'm too scared to go for a trim! Once you start getting longer than yu've been in ages, and care for it this much, invest time and money, bound to get nervous! You're lucky you have a friend doing it! :)

I am glad that I know how she works and that I trust her. I'm scared to lose too much length that I just spent the past 6 months waiting and waiting for! I'm sure that it I tell her to take the bare minimal off that should be trimmed then she would do it. I don't have split ends or anything so there should be no reason to take off more.

I get nervous too, and I always second guess myself after I've made the appointment! But you trust her, and you'll probably feel loads better once you get it trimmed! Good luck!!

That is kinda where I am now. I keep thinking that I don't want to, but I know that I need to trim it and even it out because it drives me crazy and it would be nice to have it all be relatively the same length. But UGH! haha

I was really nervous yesterday, but I was having a large cut. Small trims don't worry me at all but I think it's quite common for most people. I am sure it will look great !!!

In the past when I have cut my hair from waist to shoulder, it was nothing, but now that I want my hair to grow and be long, I am all worried! I'm sure it will all be ok and that I will be happy in the end. I keep reminding myself that I could finally have a type of hairstyle again. haha

Vallena
April 11th, 2012, 08:00 AM
If you trust the stylist and make it very clear what you want and don't want, you have nothing to worry about! That is part of the reason I stopped going to stylists though, I always felt pressured to get more cut off, but I also never had a stylist I'd trust with it.

But I would go in with a measurement in mind. "I only want 1/2 inch cut off" is a lot different from "do what you think is the minimum."

Not that it matters, but why are you getting it trimmed if your ends are in good condition?

A. Correira
April 11th, 2012, 08:04 AM
If you trust the stylist and make it very clear what you want and don't want, you have nothing to worry about! That is part of the reason I stopped going to stylists though, I always felt pressured to get more cut off, but I also never had a stylist I'd trust with it.

But I would go in with a measurement in mind. "I only want 1/2 inch cut off" is a lot different from "do what you think is the minimum."

Not that it matters, but why are you getting it trimmed if your ends are in good condition?

I am getting a trim to even out my hemline. I have been growing out an A-line since august and the very back of my hair is slightly shorter than the front. I know it has evened out a bit on it's own, but I don't think it will be able to properly catch up unless I trim the longer parts.

sun-kissed
April 11th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I actually go to the point of having a scraggly hemline before I'll get it trimmed - it's not good. I'm just so afraid of loosing length, even though I know it's always so much better looking and grows faster afterwards. :rolleyes: I've decided that I'm going to trim yearly, on the same day each year, so I won't have to stress about when I need a trim.

XcaliburGirl
April 11th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I am getting a trim to even out my hemline. I have been growing out an A-line since august and the very back of my hair is slightly shorter than the front. I know it has evened out a bit on it's own, but I don't think it will be able to properly catch up unless I trim the longer parts.
I feel your pain there. I have some grown out layers I need to cut off eventually from the short layers on my neck. I'm trying to get to solid shoulder first, though. Good luck with your trim!

Carolyn
April 11th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I think Aveda stylists have excellent training. Don't be afraid. Discuss your fears and exactly what you want with your friend. I've gone to 5 different Aveda stylists over the years. One cut exactly what I asked for. The other 4 cut less! You'll be fine. You could decide on what the maximum you think you could deal with is and ask her to cut less than that. And Aveda products are wonderful. I love my color and high lights I get there.