PDA

View Full Version : 2 years at LHC - a thank you!

gossamer
April 10th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Two years ago, I made my first LHC post! I quote it below, in part:

I'm excited to have finally made it to LHC. I've always wanted long hair, probably out of some misplaced preschool-era dream of growing up to be a princess.

I had my boyfriend help me measure the other day and I'm at 50", some awkward place between thigh and knee length.

For a long while now, I've felt like I'd completely run out of styling ideas, especially since most websites with hair tips assume "long hair" means bra-strap length.

Not anymore! Thanks LHC, I look forward to learning a lot from all of you!

So... where is my hair now after 2 years? (yes, it's still on my head, you smartass :p)

Gain in length: 5.5"
Number of trims: 5 or 6 of about 1" each.

Changes in hair routine:
-Gave up shampoo (for the most part) and now wash with baking soda and vinegar.
-Stretched washes from every 2 or 3 days to every 5 or 6 days. (sometimes 7 or 8!)
-Started oiling my ends - first with coconut oil, now with Trader Joe's Lavender Body Oil.
- Tea rinses in the summer
- buns with sticks, not with hair elastics and pins! :D

Successes:
- So many new hairstyles!
- OCM for my face
- For the most part, giving up conditioners with cones in them (except sometimes on my ends).

Failures:
- Deep oiling treatments - since I don't shampoo the length, conditioner never really managed to get all the oil out and I'd have limp hair until my next wash.
- Suave coconut conditioner - turns out my hair hated the protein in it
- hibiscus tea rinses - didn't give me even the slightest hint of red. :(

Favorite updos:
- Nautilus bun (braided and unbraided)
- Shell bun
- Crown braid
- Helix bun
- Rose bun
- Cameo bun

Thank you, LHC! I have indeed learned a lot!

leslissocool
April 10th, 2012, 10:58 AM
:cheese: happy anniversary!!! Your hair is gorgeous :blossom: LHC got the best styles ever!

gossamer
April 10th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I should probably add that after two years here, I'm still not a princess. :p

Of the Fae
April 10th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I took a peek in your album and I must say I have some serious hair envy right now! Honestly, that is some length and it looks great from root to tip.

bumblebums
April 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM
You have some of the coolest hair in the world, not just in this community.

I'm glad to hear that baking soda and vinegar works for you--I like it, too, but it is occasionally vilified here as a no-no...

lapushka
April 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Happy anniversary! You are a true inspiration! :)

Amber_Maiden
April 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Happy anniversary! Your hair is gorgeous, juts gorgeous! Here's to more years with the LHC! :D

Roscata
April 10th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Happy anniversary! Your hair is gorgeous! :)

jacqueline101
April 10th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Your hair is beautiful and you've made a lot of discoveries.

Safira
April 10th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Happy anniversary! I admire your hair and itīs great you have found out what your hair likes and needs.

moon2dove
April 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Congratulations on 2yrs at LHC

You have beautiful hair and an inspiration for us all - especially me :D

kitcatsmeow
April 10th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I've looked at your albums before and you have envy creating hair! Congrats on all your success and best wishes to your future!

spidermom
April 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Happy anniversary to a long-hair all star!

pink.sara
April 10th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Happy anniversary! As always your hair is stunning :)

gossamer
April 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
You have some of the coolest hair in the world, not just in this community.

I'm glad to hear that baking soda and vinegar works for you--I like it, too, but it is occasionally vilified here as a no-no...
I think we both know the first part of that is silly. :p Have you seen some of the fabulously unbelievable heads of hair in the "knee length and beyond" thread? I have a long way to go yet and a lot to learn!
But I'm glad BS/vinegar works well for me too. I do worry that maybe it won't be good in the long run, thanks how often people here say it's terrible, but after over a year it seems to work so far.

Happy anniversary! Your hair is gorgeous, juts gorgeous! Here's to more years with the LHC! :D
Indeed, to more years! :toast:

Congratulations on 2yrs at LHC

You have beautiful hair and an inspiration for us all - especially me :D
And all of you here are an inspiration to me!

Happy anniversary to a long-hair all star!
I really hope you try out the rose bun with some beads added! I imagine some amazing contrast with either your grays or your purple/pink when freshly dyed!

Madora
April 10th, 2012, 01:50 PM

Well, you sure have princess hair if I ever saw it! Fantastic!

BrightEyes
April 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Congrats! Your hair is so incredibly beautiful, such an inspiration:)

SpinDance
April 10th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Happy Anniversary! Your hair is beautiful. It's great to hear that you have found a routine that is working well for you.

dwell_in_safety
April 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I just took a gander at your pictures. What beautiful hair! I keep getting inspired by people here to, um, expand my own horizons, so to speak. You definitely have princess hair.

Tea Lady
April 10th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Well, you sure have princess hair if I ever saw it! Fantastic!

Agreed! I still remember the longhair meet where those little girls compared you to Rapunzel (Tangled had been in the theaters/DVD around then).

Congrats on the anniversary!

Tea Lady

Beatnik Guy
April 10th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Congratulations on 2 years of LHC. :)
The hair? :thudpile:

PrairieRose
April 10th, 2012, 03:58 PM
:joy:Happy LHC anniversary! Gorgeous hair!:)

Bedhead
April 10th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Happy Anniversary! It's people like you and your gorgeous hair that gives me hope I can get this hair thing figured out!

PixxieStix
April 10th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Aaaaw, congratulations on your hairiversary! It's so cool you've found what works for you and doesn't, and shared the progress along the way! I love looking at your hair album, you've got some pretty up-dos.

Xi
April 10th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Congratulations! Your hair is simply amazing. :blossom:

young&reckless
April 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Happy anniversary!

Your hair is awesome :bowtome:

Vanilla
April 10th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Congrats! Your hair is stunning!

carolinaberry
April 10th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Maybe not, but after looking at your pictures I suspect you may have a touch of Fae!

<3OnHerSleeve
April 11th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Congratulations, you trully have beautiful hair :)

Qadupae
April 11th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Congrats on your anniversary gossamer!

gossamer
April 11th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Thank you for so many kind comments!

I really want to thank all of you in return for being inspirations to me as well!

gossamer
April 11th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Maybe not, but after looking at your pictures I suspect you may have a touch of Fae!

I should play that up more sometimes, I think. Oh, how I miss college when I could just go to class in a silly costume for the day and no one would bat an eye! Being grownup and being Fae does not mix too well!

EdG
April 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Happy anniversary gossamer!

It is not very often that a new member joins with 50 inches of hair. :)
Ed

gossamer
April 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Happy anniversary gossamer!

It is not very often that a new member joins with 50 inches of hair. :)
Ed

I know! I have to thank Isa-belle for messaging me on a separate community (one about knitting and crochet) noticing that I had a long braid and asking me if I was a member here or not. I wasn't, but I quickly became one! :D

How had I not found this place all those years during college when I was desperate to learn to care for my ever lengthening hair?! All I found in 2003 or 2004 were sites in german!

Teazel
April 11th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Happy anniversary to you and your fabulous hair! :flowers:

Yozhik
April 11th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Happy anniversary! Your hair is absolutely stunning. :flowers:

Also, your avatar is hands down one of my favorites I've ever seen here on the forum. Who else can frame an entire space with their silhouette?

alyanna
April 11th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Congratulations gossamer!
And thank YOU for being such an inspiration. You've got one of my favorite heads of hair on LHC.

gossamer
April 11th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Happy anniversary! Your hair is absolutely stunning. :flowers:

Also, your avatar is hands down on of my favorite I've ever seen here on the forum. Who else can frame an entire space with their silhouette?

And it's a photo I took a year or more before joining LHC. Long hair is too fun not to play with, in all kinds of different ways!