PDA

View Full Version : MTG Questions

carolinaberry
April 10th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Hi. I read on here about MTG as another overnight treatment besides Monistat. I looked at the product's website and it says it was originally made for humans. I went to Sally's today and asked if they had it (they carry the Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioners) and the girl who worked there was horrified by the idea that I would put it on my scalp. She stressed it is only for horses with "rain rot". I told her the product site said it was originally for humans and that all info says it is safe for human use. She said she has 3 large horses and that product burns their skin and that it will burn my scalp. She told me where to get it, but she seemed genuinely concerned that it will burn me.

So, I went to the horse supply store and bought it...my questions are:
1. Did any of you use this and have any bad side effects (I have searched the forum and didn't find any side effect info).
2. For those who used this, did you use it straight, mix it with something else...etc?

Thank you for any input!

Mrs.Witherup
April 10th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Never heard of it! My grandma used to buy me mane n tail all the time, I was thinking about going back to it soon :D I would say do the allergy test (small patch on inner arm) and go from there. In my experience the people at Sally's are not the best advice givers. The last time I was there I mentioned I was thinking about trying cassia, they had no clue what it was and when I said it was like henna they freaked out shudder: and said henna was the worst thing you could do to your hair! After looking at the henna thread I beg to differ!
Maybe someone else has experience with MTG, and I would love to hear how it works out for you!

gogirlanime
April 13th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Hi. I read on here about MTG as another overnight treatment besides Monistat. I looked at the product's website and it says it was originally made for humans. I went to Sally's today and asked if they had it (they carry the Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioners) and the girl who worked there was horrified by the idea that I would put it on my scalp. She stressed it is only for horses with "rain rot". I told her the product site said it was originally for humans and that all info says it is safe for human use. She said she has 3 large horses and that product burns their skin and that it will burn my scalp. She told me where to get it, but she seemed genuinely concerned that it will burn me.

So, I went to the horse supply store and bought it...my questions are:
1. Did any of you use this and have any bad side effects (I have searched the forum and didn't find any side effect info).
2. For those who used this, did you use it straight, mix it with something else...etc?

Thank you for any input!

I've used it many times about 3 months 1 month at a time. I mixed 1/2 M-T-G with 1/2 castor oil and added 2% (1% = 18 drops per oz of carrier oil the carrier is your 1/2 M-T-G 1/2 castor mix) of tea tree oil, lavender oil, chili oil (1%), peppermint oil, spearmint oil, and rosemary oil. Experiment a little, some may react more than others. When I first started using it I didn't dilute it, it never burnt my skin but it did become pretty irritated. As soon as I diluted it to 1/2 I haven't had a problem at all. Many many people have used it for human use, so far I have heard little to no side effects. The only side effects I have heard is a rare allergic reaction (but that can happen with anything) and mild/semi-bad irritation when used undiluted. Hope that helps. It yields me better growth than Monistat, the downside: only when used every night and because of the smell you will want to shampoo your hair everyday. I would twice to get it all out. So make sure your pre-condition and condition afterward to keep your hair moisturized well. It boils down to is it worth it to do to get 1 to 1 1/4 inch of growth in a month? Depends, you decide, for me it's worth it... but it just stinks oh how it stinks :(

carolinaberry
April 13th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I'm using it for the first time right now. The smell was unbearable when I bought it. I could smell it though the bottle and through the plastic bag it was tied in. I stored it in the garage b/c it filled my bathroom and bedroom with the smell while in a closed cabinet. I am thinking I maybe have a sensitive nose?

Anyway, I put it on undiluted b/c I couldn't find instructions by searching the forum. I will def try your way soon though. So far, no side effects. It tingled the tiniest bit when I first applied it. Well, not even really a "tingle" more like it was opening the pores on my scalp or something.

Have you figured a way to saturate the scalp without saturating the hair? Monistat gets in my hair too. I don't mind washing every day if it is to get oil out of my hair.

ETA: After asking DH if he'd mind terribly if I used a reeking scalp treatment, he decided he LIKES the smell. He said, "It just smells like smoke-what were you going on about?" I think it smells like that smell that gets stuck in my hair and clothes if I stand downwind of a charcoal burning BBQ grill.

PurplePenguin
April 13th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Hmm this is a very interesting thread, I have heard of Monistat treating your hair (and have even done it) but I have never heard of this MTG you speak of. I would love to follow your experiments and experiences! I hope this gives you an awesome growth rate! My only questions are - do you have to treat your hair with it every night or can you do it once a week or so? and do you have to leave it on for a specific time or do you use it like shampoo?

edit: I found this (http://www.longhairdontcare.net/long_hair_dont_care-deleted-20090628-muftz/2008/10/eqyss-mega-tek-cell-rebuilder-and-other-topical-growth-aides-ive-tried.html) blog/article on topical growth aids. Maybe it could help?

thirstylocks
April 13th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Is there a chance that this can cause hair loss/thinning?

carolinaberry
April 13th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Is there a chance that this can cause hair loss/thinning?
I researched for days and read every testimonial of use online I could find. I guess if you have a reaction to anything it can make your hair fall out. But from what I read, it seems like people have less shedding/breakage from MTG than even with Monistat. I can say that every time I apply Monistat I shed a few hairs as I'm applying, and that didn't happen with my first application of MTG.

Catladyintown
April 13th, 2012, 04:53 AM
What does MTG stand for? Thanks

pinkb21
April 13th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I have been wanting to try this but my concern is the smell.

numbernine
April 13th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I use this all the time it and have had no problems with it
MGT stands for mane and tail groom it contains mineral oi,l glycerin, sulphur and cade oil
the smell is strong but actually i quite like it now, it is caused by the cade oil which is a well know oil to use for scalp problems and hair loss.
it does say on the bottle to use it only one a week if your leaving it on, I have used it twice in one week and had no problems from that but i wouldn't use it more often than than.
as for the burning the lady you spoke to mentioned this is usally sunburn on horses due to the oil in the product there is a warning on the bottle not to use the product in strong sunlight.
I hope this is helpful :)

WaitingSoLong
April 13th, 2012, 06:22 AM
I have horses and use this on them and have tried it on myself.

First, on horses, it is left on and never shampooed off. It yielded excellent results for my horses' rain rot or to grow back bald patches from scratches or bites and we used it to treat a sarcoid on my mare and it was the ONLY thing that finally got hair to grow back on her scarred area. But I will note...whatever hair is there would fall out first, replaced by new, better hair. However, it was an injured area and not a healthy scalp.

I tried it once on my own head, mostly due to my scalp condition but also because of the brags about hair growth from it. The smells is bad, yes, like beef jerky (smoky smell) but what deterred me from using it again was the fact I like to never got it OUT of my hair. It is very oily, not somthing you could wear without washing and will get on whatever pillow or blankets you use at night, I suppose you could try a shower cap to keep it from transferring.

The smell alone would keep me from using it more, unless I lived alone. But the fact I had to wash my hair about 3 times to get it out also deterred me.

I heard and saw on the net that they make/made a version for humans that supposedly did not smell as awful but I never purchased.

The lady at Sally's was way over-reacting. It did not burn my horses and it did not burn me (I left it on overnight).

The main ingredient that is supposed to be the growth-enhancing part is the sulfur. Some take it internally or buy it and apply it topically in powder form mixed with carrier oils. I know there are other thread about it somewhere here on TLHC.

carolinaberry
April 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Here's a heads up guys: I stupidly didn't remove my wedding ring while applying MTG last night and tonight and now it is super tarnished (it is silver-I really dislike gold). I am hoping this is reversible, but be forewarned. I'm sure all of y'all would be smarter than me and remove your rings prior to application, but just in case you are in a hurry-don't forget!

gogirlanime
April 14th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Here's a heads up guys: I stupidly didn't remove my wedding ring while applying MTG last night and tonight and now it is super tarnished (it is silver-I really dislike gold). I am hoping this is reversible, but be forewarned. I'm sure all of y'all would be smarter than me and remove your rings prior to application, but just in case you are in a hurry-don't forget!

I'm so sorry to hear that :( :( :( thank you for the heads up I have a ring I wear all the time and if I hadn't know this I probably would have made the same mistake. I send the love of you saving my ring to bring hope that yours will be O.K./fixable :)

carolinaberry
April 14th, 2012, 01:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that :( :( :( thank you for the heads up I have a ring I wear all the time and if I hadn't know this I probably would have made the same mistake. I send the love of you saving my ring to bring hope that yours will be O.K./fixable :)
I googled it and apparently it is fixable. A lady posted about this happening to her jewelry and posted a link on how to remove the tarnish. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right? I hope the setting of my dermal doesn't tarnish :/

carolinaberry
April 15th, 2012, 11:54 PM
I'm sitting with my 5th nightly application of M-T-G under a plastic cap. My 7-year-old daughter said, "Your hair smells like old chicken mixed with metal mixed with poop mixed with teeth mixed with a fence."

RedRendezvous
April 16th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I'm sitting with my 5th nightly application of M-T-G under a plastic cap. My 7-year-old daughter said, "Your hair smells like old chicken mixed with metal mixed with poop mixed with teeth mixed with a fence."

Lol! That is hilarious! Might think about giving this stuff a try. Anyone using it with Monistat?

PolarCathy
April 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I googled it and apparently it is fixable. A lady posted about this happening to her jewelry and posted a link on how to remove the tarnish. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right? I hope the setting of my dermal doesn't tarnish :/

I don't use MTG, but... I just killed my silver necklace yesterday. It became almost completely black (I used sulfur infused oil). I read it somewehere... here is what I did: I placed aluminium foil into a bowl, put the necklace in, added a tablespoon of salt and another tablespoon of baking soda, topped it up with boiling water and let it sit all night. Voila! It's something about that the sulfur (whatever compound it forms with the silver) "likes" the aluminium more than the silver and the baking soda forces it into solution, then it binds to the alu and the silver becomes silver again. Good luck!

carolinaberry
April 16th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I don't use MTG, but... I just killed my silver necklace yesterday. It became almost completely black (I used sulfur infused oil). I read it somewehere... here is what I did: I placed aluminium foil into a bowl, put the necklace in, added a tablespoon of salt and another tablespoon of baking soda, topped it up with boiling water and let it sit all night. Voila! It's something about that the sulfur (whatever compound it forms with the silver) "likes" the aluminium more than the silver and the baking soda forces it into solution, then it binds to the alu and the silver becomes silver again. Good luck!
Thanks. I had found a thing online that said that toothpaste will sometimes remove it...it worked for me. I just took a pea sized amount of toothpaste on my finger and rubbed it all around the ring for about a minute. It worked!

On another note, am I the only nerd who every time I hear MTG I think Magic: The Gathering?

PolarCathy
April 16th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks. I had found a thing online that said that toothpaste will sometimes remove it...it worked for me. I just took a pea sized amount of toothpaste on my finger and rubbed it all around the ring for about a minute. It worked!

On another note, am I the only nerd who every time I hear MTG I think Magic: The Gathering?

Wow! Thanks for the feedback! Sounds simpler!

Amethyste
April 16th, 2012, 11:36 AM
MTG stands for "mane" "tail" and "Groom"

I use the MTG and while i can appreciate its growing power, i don't like to smell like a smokehouse. I put it on the night before a wash and i sleep with a towel over my pillow cause it does run! I am surprised my husband has not divorced me yet. But I have to say, the MTG makes my hair really soft. I'll be putting it on every other day to see if I am getting any extra growth...

carolinaberry
April 16th, 2012, 12:25 PM

Haha...I know. It just makes me think of the card game.

carolinaberry
April 16th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Haha...I know. It just makes me think of the card game.