PDA

View Full Version : Any one else get annoyed at people saying they should cut their hair?

missbexy
July 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hi, this my wonderfully random first post. I just got told by my mum that maybe I should use some permanant dye to high light my hair then just cut just past BSL hair (which I've been growing my whole life, much to her disgusts, I think) when I get bored of the colour. I needed to vent and wonder if anyone else gets told things like you should cut your hair, its boring etc and gets annoyed.
Thanks for coping with the rant :)
Bexy

liseling
July 25th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Oh yes, I think you have many sympathies here - if you look through the other threads you'll find lots where people express their disgust for these types of comments.

FrannyG
July 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Good heavens, yes, yes, yes. I find it most annoying indeed. I have several family members who enjoy telling me it's about time I get my hair cut, as I'm no longer a "spring chicken". :rollin:

spidermom
July 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I've only had one person say that to me (my father). I wasn't annoyed particularly, just surprised. Unfortunately I had been thinking that my hair didn't look very good because of 4th of July party pictures. Then my father said "it looks like a big mess," and I seriously questioned whether the long hair thing was such a good idea. But I still don't want to get it cut.

naturechild
July 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I agree very much!
Why do people think everyone should have short or shorter hair? I have many friends who look at me and say " you want your hair even longer?" YES I DO!
silly people :rolleyes:
My hair is short compared to many here.
I was using the monistat to get more length and they were amazed.

P.S. I got 1 inch in a month.:cheese:

missbexy
July 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I think my dad would be more annnoyed if I did cut my hair, and my bf would be devestated. My mother is one of those people who has spent all their life cutting and dying their hair repeatedly, I've very rarely considered having short hair, but i've always wanted longer hair.
spidermom I think you're hair looks great in your pic, unlike my hair which has suddenly become abnormally fuzzed (i'll blame the heat haha).
FrannyG beautiful hair should certainly not have an age limit :)
Naturechild major congratulations or an inch in a month :cheese:
Thank you all for you're answers

Islandgrrl
July 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Gosh, do any of us NOT get annoyed by suggestions from others that we should cut our hair? :)
I thought that was just a given!

It is frustrating and somewhat bewildering that other people should be so concerned with what we do (or obviously don't do) our hair. I certainly don't go around saying, "Gee, your hair looks horrendous and fried, and where did *that* color come from? Maybe you should consider just leaving it alone..."

Darkhorse1
July 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Drives me nuts. So, I come up with witty come backs. :) Partly because I'm a very sarcastic person, and partly because I'm a smart @ass ;) :D

It's fun to come up with unique comebacks :)

missbexy
July 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Haha ok I have to admit i'd be more shocked if people here didn't get annoyed by it, maybe I expected to find you all had better tempraments than me :p
(off topic wow my spelling and typing look bad, or maybe that's just me haha)
I remember a day when I was pretty good at witty replies, maybe the fact that i'm blond is getting to me, or my hair is in fact growing back into my brain. I love sarcasm and smart ass ness (what would the word for that be?) unless i'm in a bad mood and it's directed at me lol

Riot Crrl
July 25th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I'd be tempted to lie and say I can't dye it because I am growing it for LoL (but then just never do it). :bull:

burns_erin
July 25th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I am admittedly a smart sassed fruit loop type person, and whenever my mom makes a comment like that, or anyone really, I usually look at them very seriously and tell them "Well I was thinking of going white with fuschi streaks and a femullet". The look of horror is just priceless.

akurah
July 25th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Sometimes I wonder if people are afraid of me? I can't recall the last time someone commented on my hair except to compliment it!

Exodus
July 25th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I have never in my whole life had anyone to tell me I should cut my hair. Never. Not one single time I do get the opposite comments instead = "Why did you cut your hair?! Please say your going to grow it out again!" I don't look good in shorter hair, I know it and others know and everybody thinks I have a "long hair personality". Maybe there are people who think I should cut my hair, but since no one has ever said anything like that I have to assume that those would be people who dare not talk to me.
So, as it is, if someone now would come and tell me that I should cut my hair, I should be more surprised than annoyed. Since everybody has always told me I should not cut my hair, and I should grow it longer.

Riot Crrl
July 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I have never in my whole life had anyone to tell me I should cut my hair. Never. Not one single time I do get the opposite comments instead = "Why did you cut your hair?! Please say your going to grow it out again!"

Yeah, and it's either behind my shoulders, inside my jacket, or it's up. :confused:

missbexy
July 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM
haha burns_erin that's really funny, unfortunately I think my mother has had a femullet! :confused:
Many people like my hair, it is actually mainly my mother. Although a girl at my college with badly dyed, weirdly thin hair which one of friends pointed out reminded him of a hooker once told me I should cut my hair short, I decided she was jealous :D

Chromis
July 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM
No one dares tell me to cut mine! Actually I've only ever gotten compliments too.

burns_erin
July 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
haha burns_erin that's really funny, unfortunately I think my mother has had a femullet! :confused:
Many people like my hair, it is actually mainly my mother. Although a girl at my college with badly dyed, weirdly thin hair which one of friends pointed out reminded him of a hooker once told me I should cut my hair short, I decided she was jealous :D

Oh-then the femullet comment may not be appropriate, maybe substitute mohawk in the equation, or spiked pixie.

paper
July 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Oh my goodness! I hate when people tell me or others to cut their hair. My Mom always hated my hair when it was long. Finally I did cut it when I turned 40. Now looking back I regret it. I told my Mom I was growing my hair again. She asked me how long, I told her to my Butt! lol. She actually gave me a compliment the other day, my hair was up in a clip. :D

xrosiex
July 25th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Good heavens, yes, yes, yes. I find it most annoying indeed. I have several family members who enjoy telling me it's about time I get my hair cut, as I'm no longer a "spring chicken". :rollin:
Oh my FrannyG are we related:)? Sometimes I cant even hear them anymore:rolleyes:. I still love my hair,:beercheer:.

MrsB
July 25th, 2008, 05:05 PM
This week was the first time someone at work said something negative about long hair, a coworker said, "Oh your hair is so long", I said yeah, I love it and I am just going to let it grow longer and longer, she said, "oh you don't want to to that, short people like us don't look good with long hair, it makes us look shorter"! I thought WHAT? and said, "well, my husband loves it and I want to keep it long for him too!" and she said, "oh"...

too funny, I just walked away....

Kiraela
July 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM
You know, I rarely get comments on my hair length... the very few (once or twice) that I have, I've given them a snarky response and wandered off. I'm not sure if it's simply that I naturally look evil, or whether the people down here are too polite to comment. Maybe both?

I'm sorry your mom makes comments, though. Just ignore her, I guess.

And you know, I've never noticed my hair making me look shorter... in fact, I feel taller, walk straighter, hold my head up high(to show off length, yeah) ... which all makes me LOOK taller. 5' with hair up, 5'2" with hair down.. I've measured. :P

LisaButz2001
July 25th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I get the odd, "Don't you want to cut your hair to try something new?" comment. Truthfully, since most of friends have either been friends for 24 or 16 years. I think they know it's unlikely it will ever happen. The two times I got angry were, once with an ex who was aggrieved that I didn't cut from butt to shoulder blades on his instruction, whilst on break from college and the second time with a friend of 16 years who was teasing when he suggested I cut from tailbone to shoulder, but accidently evoked memories of the ex.

winter_star
July 26th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I too am sick of the same old comments about cutting my hair shorter and trying something new. My mum is a huge fashion victim and is always cutting her hair. She's the worst at telling me I look boring. LOL she has even offered to pay for the hair cut. I think my dad and boyfriend would be devistated if I did though.

noelgirl
July 26th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I haven't gotten comments like that in years, I think that most people who know me have just kind of resigned themselves to the fact that I'm a long-haired girl at heart. The "short people shouldn't have long hair" thing bugs though (never had it said directly to me, but it's always given as "helpful advice" in magazines and what not). It's pretty pointless - it's not like short hair would make anyone suddenly mistake me for a runway model or WNBA player. I'm 5'3" no matter what the length of my hair is - I may as well wear it the way I like.

missbexy
July 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Haha well I'm 5"2 and can't say I think my hair is the thing which makes me look short.
Fashion victims as mums are just not good. Atleast most people love my long hair (which I don't even think is THAT long).
I find fashion maazines give odd advice about long hair (and being short) and often when I see a picture of what they class as long hair I say 'that looks more like a medium length to me'

Kat
July 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM
My mom always thinks I should cut my hair. Now, granted, her reasoning is because my hair is dry and tangly and somewhat damaged--which it is; I don't ever wear it down because it starts getting tangly and not-pretty within minutes. I've thought, though, of cutting off a foot or two and "starting over," thinking maybe the parts that are damaged are from when it was much shorter and I wasn't so careful with it, but I don't think it would help as I don't think that's my problem. I think my hair just gets damaged once it hits a certain length--after all, you can't have hairs that are maybe 6 or 7 + years old and still in perfect condition! At least *I* can't; I know some people can and I'm jealous. But I treat it as gently as possible and it still gets damaged and tangled. So my choice is either to have great-looking hair at maybe BSL or shorter, or I can have long hair that is a pain sometimes. (My hair short--i.e. chin length--was not attractive. Part of the reason I let it grow long was because it would just hang there, so I figured if it was going to just hang there, it might as well hang long. I mean, it looked good if I washed it, blow-dried it, and carefully curled it under, but there is no way in hell I am getting up an hour before I already do, to do that crap in the morning. And I doubt it would keep looking good for a whole day anyway--it'd probably be flat and stringy again by lunch).

Eventually I probably will cut it back a bit--maybe to classic or waist length--but for now I'm happy enough the way it is.

janaana
July 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
My mum always says she wishes I'd cut off 12"-18" so that I'd wear it loose but I'm sure I never wore it loose when it was that length. I like it tied up and only wore it down regularly when I've worn it too short to tie up. Having it long makes it stay up better and allowas for more varied styles.

I don't mind her saying that because she's not telling me to do it; she's just telling me what she thinks would look nice in her opinion. I also tell her that, while I like the cut and colour she has, I prefer the way her hair feels so nice and soft when there's no perm in it but I'd never tell her not to perm it if she is happy with it that way. She has been a bit more assertive with my dad and my brother when they've grown their hair but both of them made it quite clear that they weren't having it cut until they wanted to.

DaveDecker
July 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I've only had one person say that to me (my father). I wasn't annoyed particularly, just surprised. Unfortunately I had been thinking that my hair didn't look very good because of 4th of July party pictures. Then my father said "it looks like a big mess," and I seriously questioned whether the long hair thing was such a good idea. But I still don't want to get it cut.

Spidermom, I'm having a difficult time reconciling his comments with your signature photo. Maybe he needs to have his eyes examined? :grnbiggri (meaning: your hair is gorgeous!)

spidermom
July 26th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Spidermom, I'm having a difficult time reconciling his comments with your signature photo. Maybe he needs to have his eyes examined? :grnbiggri (meaning: your hair is gorgeous!)

So nice of you to say, but my sig pics aren't representative of my day-to-day hair. 10 minutes after combing, it's poofing and fluffing and separating into ropey strands all over the place.