PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a scarf or hat for cleaning from now on!

julliams
April 10th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I just sprayed some mould killer on my bathroom tiles - all below head height and only a bit here and there. My hair was up in a ponytail. I just took it down to massage my scalp because it's a bit sore and ready for a wash and as I did so, I caught a whiff of bleach. All over the top of my head, my hair smells distinctly like bleach. I'm a bit shocked because I would have never thought it could have got there. Not that I use this product very often, but it's definitely worth covering hair when using a product that would otherwise be damaging to it.

dinnee
April 10th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Great pointer! I often worry about using stuff in spray cans and the likes, because it might indeed end up in my hair.

Now that my hair is nearly mid-back I take extra care to keep it out of the way when I use spray can deodorant. That stuff is killing for your ends! It turned mine in to a sticky, strawy, dried out, breaking mess.. :(

Accalia
April 10th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Imagine what you're inhaling... :S
Thanks for the warning! :)

millyaulait
April 10th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Oh no!

We will learn from your mishaps... :)

WaitingSoLong
April 10th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I wear do-rags. I cannot get scarves to stay for long and hats make my head itch. I out my hair in a bun and the "flap" covers it (mostly) and I tie it in place. I am getting lazy enough I will even go in public like this. NOT a good look for me but...who cares? lol

shutterpillar
April 10th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Very interesting! I would have never even considered cleaning product in my hair. It will be going up in a scarf from now on.

Madora
April 10th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Yes, it's a good idea to keep the hair covered when using sprays and such.

I wear a double scarf when vacuuming and changing the litter boxes. Keeps the hair cleaner and helps stretch washes.

Amber_Maiden
April 10th, 2012, 08:40 AM
This is why i don't use bleach and make my own products... Scary to think about it ending up on your skin/hair/in your lungs...

longcurlygirl<3
April 10th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Hmm, I clean with bleach and always tie my hair in a bun with a scrunchy I make sure to spray away from my hair and now I will start wearing scarfs or bandanas, thanks for the heads up!

Macaroni
April 10th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I wear a scarf whenever I clean, dusting, vacuuming etc. I don't want that stuff settling on my freshly washed/oiled hair.

heidi w.
April 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Yes, it's a good idea to keep the hair covered when using sprays and such.

I wear a double scarf when vacuuming and changing the litter boxes. Keeps the hair cleaner and helps stretch washes.

The other night at about 4 am my dog ended up with crap in her butt hairs so I had to wash her urgently. I cannot do so with my hair all loose and wafting around and coiling around my arms and shoulders and other parts of my body. Plus it falls forward and can get wet. So I grab a hair stick, quickly put it up and I'm free to proceed as I need.

I always have worn my hair up, and have usually worn some kind of hat when working outdoors in the yard or inside. Cleaning is definitely a hair up activity. I don't like cleaning crud out of my hair.

heidi w.

Kaya
April 10th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I discovered the hard way that oiled hair attracts anything and everything when I decided to mow the lawn one day during summer. Dust, pollen, grass and spirits know what were all stuck in my hair. shudder:
Now, I wear a bandana over my hair whenever I do any sort of house chore, whether it's vaccuming, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, dremeling the dog's nails, you name it. Added bonus: it keeps the flyaway hairs out of my face! :)

jacqueline101
April 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I wear a cap when cleaning.

Othala
April 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I found the best thing for hair protection is one of those thin disposable shower caps. Because it is plastic it shops any moisture getting in. I just pot my hair in a bun and then put a shower cap over my whole head.

WaitingSoLong
April 10th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Added bonus: it keeps the flyaway hairs out of my face! :)

This was the main reason I started covering my hair. I ditched hairspray (again, I think for good this time). Theonly reason I used hairspray was for fly-aways.

But I do all the mowing/trimming and take walks through the woods looking for mushrooms and all manner of bugs, debris and cobwebs (and thorns) mess with my hair.

BrightEyes
April 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I usually wear my hair in pony tail when I'm cleaning, but never really thought about covering all of my hair (all chin length of it anyway lol). I will be doing this from now on. Thanks for the pointer although I'm sorry you had to speak from experience:)