PDA

View Full Version : Do styling products damage the hair? How?

aquadreamer
April 9th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I have been trying to find something on this topic, but could not find a lot of information. So far I have only read that:

1. A lot of styling products (mouse, gel, hairspray) contain a lot of alcohol, which is drying and bad for hair.

2. Hairsprays are bad for hair, because they cause hair to stick together, and when you brush the hair out, you may tear the hair cuticles. I would assume the same would apply to hair glue.

3. The direction for lots of those products ask that they be used with heat (blowdrying, straight iron, curling iron etc.)

However, if one uses a styling product without alcohol that's not overly sticky (such as a "conditioning" volumizing mousse with sunscreen, or hair pomade, or texturizing products, or a curling gel), and without heat-styling would it still be damaging for hair? How?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, ladies! :)

sfgirl
April 10th, 2012, 12:43 AM
I love shine serums, those usually just have cones, and if you're a cone head, that's not a problem. I never needed to use them with heat styling.
I think texturizing products rough up the cuticle, though I'm not sure. Usually if my hair doesn't feel nice, I'm iffy.

aquadreamer
April 10th, 2012, 01:54 PM
thank you :) Now I can at least use shine serums with no problems since my hair does well with cones :)

Kittyxx
April 10th, 2012, 03:02 PM
If you're trying to stretch washes you can get quite a lot of product buildup as well so you either have to wash more often or put up with dodgy hair for a bit
so in that case it would be the extra washing that does the damaging rather than the product itself though

Hollyfire3
April 10th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Is mousse damaging if I wash every day?

spidermom
April 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I think the washing every day is likely to be more damaging than the mousse in and of itself.

|Xei
April 10th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I used to use clays/waxes everyday and I never saw any significant damage from doing so. Those types of products, even when they dry up on the hair, always remain flexible and don't glue the hair together like hairspray or hard hold gel. So I don't see there being any damage from the product itself, but rather, any potential damage would be from washing (eg. having to do extra scrubbing because the product is difficult to wash off).

Hollyfire3
April 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I think the washing every day is likely to be more damaging than the mousse in and of itself.

Yeah, but my hair is so horribly messed up (see multiple threads by me on the subject) I can really only deal with my hair for hardly a day before i wash it and hope for the best, I change shampoos and conditioners often as I have no set routine to even go back to that works...oh I just don't know what to do!

spidermom
April 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I've seen the threads but didn't participate much because everybody else had all the ideas I would have suggested.

Hollyfire3
April 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I've seen the threads but didn't participate much because everybody else had all the ideas I would have suggested.

So many ideas, i have no clue where to even start, what would you suggest? (sorry to highjack)

MinderMutsig
April 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM
So many ideas, i have no clue where to even start, what would you suggest? (sorry to highjack) I would suggest just picking one and sticking with it for at least a couple of weeks before deciding if it's for you or if you want to try something new. When you keep mixing up methods and products you'll never find out what works and what doesn't.

I'd also keep in mind that the damage is done and the only way to get rid of it is to grow it out so it will take a loooooong time before your hair will be back to normal.

But that's exactly what lots of people told you in all the threads you started.

lapushka
April 10th, 2012, 05:41 PM
But that's exactly what lots of people told you in all the threads you started.

I agree. :agree: Somehow, though, it doesn't seem to want to sink in. :shrug:

Hollyfire3
April 10th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I agree. :agree: Somehow, though, it doesn't seem to want to sink in. :shrug:

Its sinking in....I just keep hope something will be the miracle product that just, works. My impluses getting the better of me along with my frusteration. Sorry if I seem so thick-headed and just, not listening or taking advice, I hear it, but it is just SO hard when I don't get immediate results after trying so hard.....again, please don't think I'm just ignorant.

spidermom
April 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM
The only product on your list that I'm really concerned about is the hair spray. The alcohol is made to evaporate, and I think it takes some of your hair moisture with it. My stylist used to tell me to use hair spray on my hand, then smooth my hand down my hair. It really dried out my hand!

Look for the word "moisturizing" on hair styling products.

Hollyfire3
April 10th, 2012, 07:07 PM
The only product on your list that I'm really concerned about is the hair spray. The alcohol is made to evaporate, and I think it takes some of your hair moisture with it. My stylist used to tell me to use hair spray on my hand, then smooth my hand down my hair. It really dried out my hand!

Look for the word "moisturizing" on hair styling products.

Is there moisturizing mousse?

MinderMutsig
April 10th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Its sinking in....I just keep hope something will be the miracle product that just, works. My impluses getting the better of me along with my frusteration. Sorry if I seem so thick-headed and just, not listening or taking advice, I hear it, but it is just SO hard when I don't get immediate results after trying so hard.....again, please don't think I'm just ignorant. Your hair is damaged to the point where it's lost it's natural texture. You've been taking good care of it for only a few months at most. Let's say the top 5" of your hair is new growth from after you started caring better for it. That means there is still 20" that is damaged that you need to grow out. With an average growth rate of 1/2" a month, that will take you 40 months.

There is no magical cure. You've only been at it for a couple of months which is nothing compared to what still lies in front of you. It's way too soon to see improvement and if you keep experimenting you probably won't see it for a long time because you'll keep damaging your hair.

MinderMutsig
April 10th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Is there moisturizing mousse? You could try homemade flaxseed gel. It doesn't have the hold of commercial products but it does a nice job and it moisturizes your hair.

It has the texture of snot though so that takes some getting used to. :o

Hollyfire3
April 10th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Your hair is damaged to the point where it's lost it's natural texture. You've been taking good care of it for only a few months at most. Let's say the top 5" of your hair is new growth from after you started caring better for it. That means there is still 20" that is damaged that you need to grow out. With an average growth rate of 1/2" a month, that will take you 40 months.

There is no magical cure. You've only been at it for a couple of months which is nothing compared to what still lies in front of you. It's way too soon to see improvement and if you keep experimenting you probably won't see it for a long time because you'll keep damaging your hair.

40 months is a long time....well, sometimes, if I get the proper balance of protein and moisture, it actually curls normally and looks great, but those times come maybe every 2-3 months other than that, all is downhill. I'm not damaging my hair as I don't use heat, just different products which isn't damaging, I have swore off the striaght iron and I only blow dry VERY rarely, the worst I do is the experimenting, but it is all to try and find a good routine.

Hollyfire3
April 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM
You could try homemade flaxseed gel. It doesn't have the hold of commercial products but it does a nice job and it moisturizes your hair.

It has the texture of snot though so that takes some getting used to. :o

I have seen a recipe for that stuff...it sounds...intresting, but hey if it works, I'm all for it, I'm trying to not experiment (As of tonight) so the gel may have to wait for a while...but maybe this is the GOOD type of experimenting?
Snot textured gel...lol!

spidermom
April 10th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Is there moisturizing mousse?

I can't say for sure as I haven't shopped for mousse in a long-long time.

Hollyfire3
April 10th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I can't say for sure as I haven't shopped for mousse in a long-long time.

I think Torrinpaige mentioned Finnese mousse being moisturizing and acohol free in a video of hers? Is Torrin even here anymore? I am thinking of trying that mousse, but again, I need to keep telling myself, experimenting is bad.

spidermom
April 10th, 2012, 07:38 PM
No-no; experimenting is not bad. Experimenting with too many things all at once is bad.

Hollyfire3
April 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
No-no; experimenting is not bad. Experimenting with too many things all at once is bad.

Oh! Okay, now I have a distinction, bad experimenting all at once, good experimenting the right way. Thank you! See, its sinking in.:)

Arya
April 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I'm interested in this too. What about hairspray is damaging? What ingredients? Other than alcohol, is it problematic? What about the 'flexible hold' ones?
I really like hairspray for rockabilly pompadours, and smoothing down my flyaways, but i don't want to damage my hair, and I am NOT willing to put sugar in my hair. That seems like a recipe for inviting bugs to lick my pillow.

aquadreamer
April 10th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'm interested in this too. What about hairspray is damaging? What ingredients? Other than alcohol, is it problematic? What about the 'flexible hold' ones?
I really like hairspray for rockabilly pompadours, and smoothing down my flyaways, but i don't want to damage my hair, and I am NOT willing to put sugar in my hair. That seems like a recipe for inviting bugs to lick my pillow.

I think hairspray is one of the most problematic, because it contains lots of alochols, which is drying, and also because it glues hair together (which can tear the hairs haft if you comb it out), flexible hold is definitely better than stronger holds, but I would imagine it would still be somewhat damaging. And I totally agree with you about putting sugar in my hair :)

aquadreamer
April 10th, 2012, 08:12 PM
If you're trying to stretch washes you can get quite a lot of product buildup as well so you either have to wash more often or put up with dodgy hair for a bit
so in that case it would be the extra washing that does the damaging rather than the product itself though

Thank you for raising the point about product build-up :) I didn't really think of that. I have found that my hair doesn't really like stretching washes (I wash every 3 to 4 days or so), so washing out the product won't be a huge problem with me :)

MinderMutsig
April 10th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Just an FYI, not all alcohols are bad and/or drying. Some of them are actually moisturizing alcohols. It might be worth checking ingredients on google so you get a better understanding of what is what and what ingredients you need to watch out for.

aquadreamer
April 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I used to use clays/waxes everyday and I never saw any significant damage from doing so. Those types of products, even when they dry up on the hair, always remain flexible and don't glue the hair together like hairspray or hard hold gel. So I don't see there being any damage from the product itself, but rather, any potential damage would be from washing (eg. having to do extra scrubbing because the product is difficult to wash off).

Thank you for sharing your experience :) I'll try to find something that doesn't build up as heavily!

Arya
April 10th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Just an FYI, not all alcohols are bad and/or drying. Some of them are actually moisturizing alcohols. It might be worth checking ingredients on google so you get a better understanding of what is what and what ingredients you need to watch out for.
Are there any LHC approved brands of hairspray? like, if you're going to be using one, what's the least-worst?

HintOfMint
April 10th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Are there any LHC approved brands of hairspray? like, if you're going to be using one, what's the least-worst?

I, too, want to know this. I know that Ulta has a tag for alcohol-free hairsprays, so that's worth looking into. I haven't tried any of them. Is it bad that I'm waiting for a guinea pig? I know, I'm bad. :o

As for styling products, as long as it's alcohol free and doesn't contribute to tangles, you should be fine. I've used curl creams, mousses, pomades and all that without damage, and I've had damage from products before--the difference is the damaging ones all had (the drying kind of) alcohol in them!

MinderMutsig
April 11th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Are there any LHC approved brands of hairspray? like, if you're going to be using one, what's the least-worst? I haven't used hairspray in years and I'm in Europe so I couldn't help you with that, sorry.

But maybe you could check out the product review section on Naturally Curly. I know you can search by product type, product form, product ingredients etc. Maybe they know a good non-drying hairspray.

lapushka
April 11th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Its sinking in....I just keep hope something will be the miracle product that just, works. My impluses getting the better of me along with my frusteration. Sorry if I seem so thick-headed and just, not listening or taking advice, I hear it, but it is just SO hard when I don't get immediate results after trying so hard.....again, please don't think I'm just ignorant.

Yeah, I noticed from your threads that you're frustrated with your hair. You sound... really really desperate. :o I do hope you find something to reverse the damage, but it looks unlikely at this point. :( Grow hair, grow!

Arya
April 11th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I haven't used hairspray in years and I'm in Europe so I couldn't help you with that, sorry.

But maybe you could check out the product review section on Naturally Curly. I know you can search by product type, product form, product ingredients etc. Maybe they know a good non-drying hairspray.
Hmm, might be a plan. I need to learn a bit more about ingredients like alcohols, I was fascinated by luxepiggy's knowledge of cones. Maybe we all find some non-drying/hair gluing products together!

Torrin Paige
April 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I think Torrinpaige mentioned Finnese mousse being moisturizing and acohol free in a video of hers? Is Torrin even here anymore? I am thinking of trying that mousse, but again, I need to keep telling myself, experimenting is bad.

Torrin is still here -she just reads more than anything. :) I did like the Finesse, but I've found that the Aussie Catch the Wave flexible hold is just as good. Great hold, no crunchy ends! Since I've switched to it and my Tangle Teezer, I only have to get a trim once a year instead of every 6-8 months. Woot!

Hollyfire3
April 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Torrin is still here -she just reads more than anything. :) I did like the Finesse, but I've found that the Aussie Catch the Wave flexible hold is just as good. Great hold, no crunchy ends! Since I've switched to it and my Tangle Teezer, I only have to get a trim once a year instead of every 6-8 months. Woot!

Hi Torrin! I LOVE your videos!!! I am considering the Finesse mousse but the Aussie sounds good too! Oh so many choices!!! Glad your still here!:)