PDA

View Full Version : Bad hair dye job lol

Aimskylove
April 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM
My hair is driving me nutso. To fill some of you guys in, I dye my hair black. My natural color is a ash auburnish at times golden brown. The shade of brown depends on the amount of sun I take in really. Well Last time I dyed my hair I guess it didnt really take it towards the bottom half of my head so this is the result.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/aimesss/IMG_0545.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/aimesss/IMG_0544.jpg
Im starting to think this is a sign from the hair gods that I should let my natural color run wild and free. lol. My only problem is the difference in between the black and brown. Im tempted to do color oops on my whole head to see if I can get it just a bit lighter. Any pointers?

Bunnysaur
April 9th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I did the same thing when I dyed my hair black a couple months ago, except I missed a huge chunk on the right side of my head. Now that I've been in the sun more, the black is getting lighter, but the chunk is almost blonde...

I don't think it would be too noticeable if you don't put your hair up. Color oops is pretty much bleach, and it can hurt your hair.

sfgirl
April 10th, 2012, 01:10 AM
I was under the impression color oops was ammonia and peroxide free? It doesn't strip the hair, just makes the color molecules smaller so they rinse out.

Aimskylove
April 10th, 2012, 01:12 AM
I was under the impression color oops was ammonia and peroxide free? It doesn't strip the hair, just makes the color molecules smaller so they rinse out.

It is. I have used it before and it works with no damage. Im just wondering if there is an even better way to lighten it :D

Ocelan
April 10th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I would probably just wait a while before trying color oops. The darker dyes always fade and it might be that you could just wait a while and the color would blend in nicely. I dyed my hair very dark brown, almost black just before new years and now I can hardly tell where the dye ends and my natural color starts and I have quite a bit lighter hair than you. Of course if you get sick of it sooner, sounds like it might not do a lot of damage.
I'm in the process of growing out dye and it'll be great to be all natural one day again :)

Carissamarie08
April 10th, 2012, 02:35 AM
It honestly doesn't look terrible. Probably wouldn't Even notice.

sarelis
April 10th, 2012, 02:57 AM
I removed 10 years of permanent black box dye with Colour B4, my hair wasn't trashed but I wouldn't say it was undamaged by it. The Colour B4d parts now take dye in a different way to the rest, well , they are resistant to henna, but take Directions dye very well.

cheetahfast
April 10th, 2012, 05:17 AM

Yeah, it's nothing like bleach. It's non-damaging :shrug:. The looooonnnnnggg rinsing is the bad part, I think.

It is. I have used it before and it works with no damage. Im just wondering if there is an even better way to lighten it :D

Hmm, maybe go swiming in the ocean a bit??
I find that the sun reflecting off the ocean makes my hair get lighter.
Color oops is probably the most effective way to go. Other ways won't be as quick.

hototogisu
April 10th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I've done 3 rounds of Colour B4 to remove 5+ years of copper dye, and it worked fantastically and my hair doesn't feel bleached. The only catch is that permanent dyes, even dark ones, lighten your base colour, so the colour beneath the dye isn't the same as your natural colour. Also, the first time you Colour B4 you'll likely end up with a very warm/brassy result, partly because the hair underneath the dye has been lightened.

shutterpillar
April 10th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I am in almost the same spot, except the color I have now is nowhere close to my natural color. I am planning to dye it as close as I can to my natural color (an ashy brown) and let the color grow out from there.

Anje
April 10th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Color Oops isn't very harsh to hair and it's not bleach (I've used it once, and while my hair was dry afterward, it seems to have recovered nicely). Depending on what dye you're using, though, your dyed hair might not match your natural color once the dye has been removed, though. Most commercial dyes, even black ones, tend to contain some peroxide which can lighten the hair underneath. So depending on what you use, you may need to do a corrective color afterward.

If you like it black, I don't think you should necessarily give up the color. Unless you wear pigtails, the color difference isn't likely to be noticed, so you can probably just ignore it until the next time you color.

Bagginslover
April 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
As others have said, color opps, and colourb4 aren't harsh to hair at all, I conditioned mine right after treatment and it felt no different to how it usually felt, softer if anything as it was finer after removing the dye.

The chemicals shrink the dye molecules inside the hair shaft, making them small enough to rinse away, you do have to rinse very thoroughly, and with hot water to open up the cuticle as much as possible. It's more the heat and long water exposure that is drying than the chemicals, as they don't act on the hair itself at all.

I used it twice to strip out my box dye, first time I used a single box, the second time, I used 2 boxes. I won't lie, it stinks, but it was SO worth it!

Bunnysaur
April 10th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Ahh. My bad, I was always under the impression that it was just bleach. Ooops!