PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your experience eating gelatin for hair

swearnsue
April 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I've heard that eating or drinking gelatin may be helpful in growing stronger hair or growing hair faster. I'm sure many members have tried this themselves and I would be very interested in hearing your experiences. I know that gelatin isn't a complete protein but the amino acids that are in it are the ones needed by hair the most. It sounds like it would be beneficial doesn't it?
If you took gelatin, did you take capsules, packages, Jell-O and how much did you take? I sound so nosey, sorry!

Tigermama
April 9th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I am interested in this. Edgar Cayce recommended eating shredded vegetables in gelatin daily for health too. I want to try this but I do not have any experience with it yet.

swearnsue
April 9th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I am interested in this. Edgar Cayce recommended eating shredded vegetables in gelatin daily for health too. I want to try this but I do not have any experience with it yet.

Everytime I hear about something Edgar Cayce has said it is so interesting! One of the reasons I'm thinking about gelatin is because there is some evidence that it is soothing to the stomach lining.

RedRendezvous
April 9th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I've been taking 2 capsules 2-3 times a day. But since I've only been doing it for about a week, its a little early for results. I figure I'll try it for a couple of months and see if it makes a difference.

HintOfMint
April 9th, 2012, 10:55 PM
So funny you mention gelatin for hair. Years ago, I read a very weird story excerpt in a magazine about a former beauty pageant contestant and her daughter. She told her daughter that she should eat tons upon tons of gelatin so that her nails and hair grow long. Her daughter grew extremely beautiful but then liquefied due to the gelatin and the mother scooped her up and kept her in a jar.

Such a weird story, but every time I think of gelatin and hair, I think of that eerie story.

Sorry for the thread hijack! Wish I had more to offer as to the actual subject, but thought I'd share. Perhaps anyone knows the story?

swearnsue
April 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM
So funny you mention gelatin for hair. Years ago, I read a very weird story excerpt in a magazine about a former beauty pageant contestant and her daughter. She told her daughter that she should eat tons upon tons of gelatin so that her nails and hair grow long. Her daughter grew extremely beautiful but then liquefied due to the gelatin and the mother scooped her up and kept her in a jar.

Such a weird story, but every time I think of gelatin and hair, I think of that eerie story.

Sorry for the thread hijack! Wish I had more to offer as to the actual subject, but thought I'd share. Perhaps anyone knows the story?

Not sure if I want to laugh or freak out!shudder:

jesis
April 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM

I was interested in this until I read this story. I don't want to turn into gelatin!

longNred
April 10th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I do this for my nails, and it works wonderfully. I only do it when I break one very far down though, which is painful, so I try to amp up the nail growing with jello. Usually we avoid it due to dyes, but if mama breaks a nail, my 4 y r old is happy with the jello found in the fridge.

PrincessIdril
April 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I used to eat jelly cubes for my nails when I was younger. Really helped strengthen them, I didn't noitce any difference in my hair but at that time in my life I had minimal interest in my hair! lol

I suppose it could help, I mean, aren't hair and nails made of similar stuff? And what do you lose from trying? I think I might have another go at this!

swearnsue
April 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I do this for my nails, and it works wonderfully. I only do it when I break one very far down though, which is painful, so I try to amp up the nail growing with jello. Usually we avoid it due to dyes, but if mama breaks a nail, my 4 y r old is happy with the jello found in the fridge.

That is so cute! I remember loving Jello when I was a kid too, especially red which I guess an adult would call cherry flavored.

pelicano
April 10th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I just found this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22715

I'm interested to try it... I have a feeling I did take some capsules years ago, and they made my skin and hair oily. My hair I don't mind being oily, but not my skin. I might give it another go though!

rock007junkie
April 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM
What is there in jello that would be good for hair?

Amethyste
April 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I guess I could start doing jello shots?

swearnsue
April 10th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I used to eat jelly cubes for my nails when I was younger. Really helped strengthen them, I didn't noitce any difference in my hair but at that time in my life I had minimal interest in my hair! lol

I suppose it could help, I mean, aren't hair and nails made of similar stuff? And what do you lose from trying? I think I might have another go at this!

The Knox gelatin package has a recipe for the jelly cubes. I won't make them though because it says to eat one cube a day! Yeah right. I'd eat the whole thing. I think you are right about hair and nails being made of similar stuff so I'm hoping for longer hair but don't really care about the nails. I'll keep it away from kitty though, her claws are long enough! LOL

swearnsue
April 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I guess I could start doing jello shots?

LOL, with Southern Comfort! Yuk! Maybe with some chocolate would be better!

kitcatsmeow
April 10th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I actually quit eating gelatin after I researched what it is and how it's made. :O

swearnsue
April 10th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I've been taking 2 capsules 2-3 times a day. But since I've only been doing it for about a week, its a little early for results. I figure I'll try it for a couple of months and see if it makes a difference.

I have 600mg capsules. The bottle says take one cap one to three times a day with meals. How many mg are your capsules? Have you found any increase in your energy level?:magic:

blondie9912
April 10th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Most places I've read about this say that it's a myth. I believe it would only work if you had a protein deficiency, something that is very rare in most developed countries.

RedRendezvous
April 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I have 600mg capsules. The bottle says take one cap one to three times a day with meals. How many mg are your capsules? Have you found any increase in your energy level?:magic:

Mine are the 600mg capsules as well (from Walmart). I haven't noticed an increase in my energy level, but its only been a couple of days. It would be really great if it did give me a bit of a boost! :D

swearnsue
April 10th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Most places I've read about this say that it's a myth. I believe it would only work if you had a protein deficiency, something that is very rare in most developed countries.

It might be a myth but it might work. IDK. I'd like to hear from those who have tried it and found that it either worked or didn't. It's so frustrating waiting for my hair to grow!!

swearnsue
April 10th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Mine are the 600mg capsules as well (from Walmart). I haven't noticed an increase in my energy level, but its only been a couple of days. It would be really great if it did give me a bit of a boost! :D

OK, so we're taking the average or recommended dose. I was reading something somewhere (you know googling) about gelatin helping joints in addition to nails and hair. That would be great since I'm older and having some arthritis. I read that people in developed countries eat the muscle meat portions and don't eat the cartilege or what we would call gristle and that is the part of the animal that has the amino acids for hair and joints. So gelatin is cartilege (and other stuff) and the stuff we miss in our diets when we eat just the tasty tender meats. I hope I explained that clearly, if not I'm sorry.

RedRendezvous
April 11th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Looks like according to the old thread you need to take it for 3 months before you start seeing any results. I'm willing to stick with it at least that long.

swearnsue
April 11th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I don't have a problem with trying it for 3 months or more either because it's so affordable! Compared to other supplements like CoQ10 that my husband takes, gelatin is kinda cheap. I'm going to spend some google time on this today and if I find anything interesting I'll put it on this thread.

RedRendezvous
April 11th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I'm don't have a problem with trying it for 3 months or more either because it's so affordable! Compared to other supplements like CoQ10 that my husband takes, gelatin is kinda cheap. I'm going to spend some google time on this today and if I find anything interesting I'll put it on this thread.

No kidding on the CoQ10! My DH takes it too. That stuff is freaking ridiculous!

ChloeDharma
April 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
No kidding on the CoQ10! My DH takes it too. That stuff is freaking ridiculous!

I wait for it to be on special offer then stock up. I do find myself nervous to take it in case i run out and there are no deals though lol.

As for gelatin, i remember in other threads on this a member had alot of success with it. I did buy some and wanted to try it but i can't bring myself to eat the stuff. Apparently the amount in jelly isn't really that much and you need the sachets to get the required amount.

Fairlight63
April 11th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I take gelatin capsules that have 10 grain in them from Puritan's Pride. On the back it says 1g protein - gelatin 1,300 mg (1.3 g) that is in (2 capsules I think) It says to take 2 at each meal & 2 at bedtime - so a total of 8 I take.
I have been taking them for over a yr. I DID NOT notice any difference in my hair or nails. BUT I take them for joint pain & tinnitus. I ran out of them a few months back & I did not refill them but then the tinnitus & the joint pain came back in my hips again really bad, so I just started to retake them again. I hope that it will work again!

swearnsue
April 11th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I take gelatin capsules that have 10 grain in them from Puritan's Pride. On the back it says 1g protein - gelatin 1,300 mg (1.3 g) that is in (2 capsules I think) It says to take 2 at each meal & 2 at bedtime - so a total of 8 I take.
I have been taking them for over a yr. I DID NOT notice any difference in my hair or nails. BUT I take them for joint pain & tinnitus. I ran out of them a few months back & I did not refill them but then the tinnitus & the joint pain came back in my hips again really bad, so I just started to retake them again. I hope that it will work again!

That is so encouraging about the relief of joint pain! Thank you so much for posting your experience. If it worked for you before I don't see why it won't work again, I certainly hope so. Hip pain isn't fun. Take care.

Fairlight63
April 11th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Thank you, swearnsue:p

pelicano
April 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I looked at plain gelatin (Dr Oetker in the UK), but couldn't face it! I'm impatiently waiting for gelatin capsules to arrive.

swearnsue
April 18th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I looked at plain gelatin (Dr Oetker in the UK), but couldn't face it! I'm impatiently waiting for gelatin capsules to arrive.

I've been taking capsules and eating flavored gelatin (Jell-O) for a couple of weeks now. It's way to early to tell if it helps with hair or joints yet but I really like eating the Jell-O!:p

Suzysu
October 31st, 2015, 11:13 AM
I've been taking capsules and eating flavored gelatin (Jell-O) for a couple of weeks now. It's way to early to tell if it helps with hair or joints yet but I really like eating the Jell-O!:p

So...did eating jello / taking gelatine capsules work for increasing your hair growth?! We'd all like to know! I've just eaten a whole packet of jello in preparation!

Platzhalter
October 31st, 2015, 04:36 PM
I used to eat jelly (jell-o for you Americans) every morning for breakfast and had my best growth rate during that time. But I also ate far more protein in general, so it may just be that.

Ingrid
November 1st, 2015, 12:29 AM
I eat gelatin and bone broths relatively regularly. Haven't noticed any effects on my hair but it does make an effect on the smoothness of my skin and everything seems to heal much quicker.

For the hair, I do gelatin protein masks. The hair looks less damaged and is much easier to manage as a result.

Pretty sure you can't physically liquefy from eating gelatin...

RSunny
July 29th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I just started taking gelatin. I bought Great Lakes Gelatin, which is made with grass fed cow gelatin and is kosher. I ordered it from Amazon. Sites recommend taking 2 tablespoons, but to work up to that amount. I bought the hydrolized so I can mix it into tea, but I want to get the regular one and make gelatin protein gummy snacks to increase my protein intake - will mix in pea protein powder and puréed fruit. The regular Jell-O has too much sugar and not enough gelatin to actually have an effect on hair, so I've heard. Best to make your own snacks.

ps. Heard it can take 6 months of regular supplementation to begin to see results, and of course results will only be on new growth. It dilates some of the scalp capillaries and brings more nutrients to the hair follicle. I'm doing this bc I was diagnosed with telogen effluvium and there is some research on gelatin to help.