PDA

View Full Version : Someone help me please

PurplePenguin
April 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I have two major concerns that I really need help/advice on. The first is about my pretty wooden comb - I brought it to a friends' house with me when I went to get my hair braided. I set it beside her to use to comb my hair with and I guess she forgot I even put it there because she didn't use it the whole time. This doesn't bother me but what happened as a result does - HER DOG GOT A HOLD OF IT:rolleyes: :mad: The little rascal must have took it while no one was looking! It chewed on one of the ends and then hid it, thankfully we found it but now the end looks a little bad and one of the (um let's call them tines because I have no clue what they are called) tines is split down the middle. I'm afraid to use the comb on my hair now for fear that it will snag it. Is there any way to fix the comb or should I just buy a new one?

On to the second issue - I have been spending at least an hour in the sun every day when I work out. I have previously henna'ed my hair. The sun seems to be bleaching out the henna. Is this normal?:confused: What should I do about it? I do use a mister bottle full of a water and oil concoction to put up my hair before I go out, could this be causing the bleaching? Its not a little bleaching either, my hair is starting to turn into a light strawberry blond color and while I do admire strawberry blond I don't admire it with my dark auburn roots.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give me at all! Have a great week!:joy:

AnqeIicDemise
April 9th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I would try to fix the tine if its salvageable. Gorilla Glue is pretty good for wood. Sand the comb to remove any lacquer if there is any, then use small rubber bands to hold the tine in place while it dries. File off the excess, cover the tine in clear polish and see if that works. If it doesn't, you'l need to buy a new one. Bummer. :( I broke a horn comb once, my Birthday present last year. That one had NO fix. I feel ya.

As far as the hair is concerned, the sun WILL bleach your hair. Its a natural thing the sun does. It bleaches out things like hair, fiber and plastics but it tans our skin. I'd say mist a bit of sunscreen on your hair but, as we all know, that's just a temporary fix as sunscreens stop working after a while or get washed off when we sweat. I'd rather just use a scarf if I were you. Or a hat.

Case in point: when I lived in SoCal and spent most of my times out of doors I had a nice, even tan and a gorgeous dark auburn shade. Like, almost brown auburn. The reddish tint of my hair was super obvious in the sun but in doors it'd be a pretty brown. I loved it. I've been living in wet western WA for going on five years now. My hair's almost black now from lack of sun bleaching. :(

lidapida
April 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I haven't read through the thread so someone else might already have mentioned what I'm about to write but here goes anyway.

Sun bleaches all hair naturally - I know because my blonde hair grows out an ashy blonde color during the winter and goes completely white during the summer. So I always have those darker roots when spring-time comes around. This naturally goes for Hennaed hair as well but I bet it's even stronger considering Henna after all is not a natural part of your hair.

I have heard of UV-ray protective products you can buy for your hair to protect it from the oh-so-dangerous sun. I cannot guarantee anything here, though, because I have a personal aversion for products and don't ever use them (plus, I like the natural bleach of my hair despite the damage). So I haven't tried this before so I don't know if this actually works.
Another solution for you could be just to redo your henna :) Henna is not only a not damaging dye - it's a nourishing dye! Henna those lovelies up, and your red color will be as good as new (I'd think).

Hope this was helpful! and good luck with it

Vanilla
April 9th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Does your mister bottle contain lemon or citrus essential oil? Lemon especially is purported to increase bleaching of that hair and skin, especially when exposed to UV.

I'd throw the comb out. Sally's has wooden combs that are only about $6, so it shouldn't be too expensive to replace.

PurplePenguin
April 9th, 2012, 05:36 PM
My mister bottle contains EVOO, aloe gel, jojoba oil, peppermint oil, and hazelnut oil at the moment. I try not to put an lemon like juices in my hair as it tends to dry out. I know I can redo the henna and I will in a couple of weeks but I'm afraid the sun will just keep bleaching it out. I have only been walking for about 3 weeks in the sun and it has bleached my hair several shades lighter. I think I will just wear a ball cap or scarf like AnqeIicDemise suggested.
As for the comb...I have scoured the Sally's I live closest to and a couple of other and no dice, they don't sell wooden combs. I got this one from a Whole Foods market that is all the way across town and they only had two last time I was there. I will try fixing it and if it doesn't work I guess I will have to buy a new one. Note to self - don't leave anything in a puppy's reach you don't want chewed and hidden.

littlenvy
April 9th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I would get a new comb. :( I'm sorry about yours but the whole point of wood combs is that they are very smooth. Any kind of joints or glue groves might snag and break your strands.

UV damage ... I will let others handle that one. Wishing you luck.

Amber_Maiden
April 9th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I would get a new comb

As for the bleaching- I doubt it bleaching out the henna. What is probably happening is that your hair is getting lighter from the sun UNDER the henna.

Pierre
April 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM
The rubber bands you need to hold the split orling together you can get from an orthodontist. Sorry to hear about the dog!

I don't know whether the henna or the melanin is being bleached, but you can just rehenna and see what color you get. I always smear the last bits of henna on my length (which is braided and often bunned) to refresh the color.

Btw, the saw used to make combs is called a stadda.

MoonlightShadow
April 9th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I think you should buy a new comb :( but maybe not a wooden one?

Vanilla
April 9th, 2012, 08:59 PM
My mister bottle contains EVOO, aloe gel, jojoba oil, peppermint oil, and hazelnut oil at the moment. I try not to put an lemon like juices in my hair as it tends to dry out. I know I can redo the henna and I will in a couple of weeks but I'm afraid the sun will just keep bleaching it out. I have only been walking for about 3 weeks in the sun and it has bleached my hair several shades lighter. I think I will just wear a ball cap or scarf like AnqeIicDemise suggested.
As for the comb...I have scoured the Sally's I live closest to and a couple of other and no dice, they don't sell wooden combs. I got this one from a Whole Foods market that is all the way across town and they only had two last time I was there. I will try fixing it and if it doesn't work I guess I will have to buy a new one. Note to self - don't leave anything in a puppy's reach you don't want chewed and hidden.

That stinks that your local Sally's doesn't sell wooden combs. The rosewood combs are $4 on their website.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/pocket-comb/SBS-431232,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=iPfeeds-_-GoogleShopping-_-Hairbrushes,_Combs_&_Piksstyling_Combs-_-SBS-431232

I have no idea how much they might charge for shipping.

I don't think any of your other oils cause bleaching as far as I know. I think a hat and or a scarf to cover your hair would probably help the most at this point.

Good luck with repairing your comb!