PDA

View Full Version : Oiling Thin/fine hair

Mrsbaybeegurl
April 9th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hi, I have very fine hair. I used to use coconut oil as a pre poo so I used about 1/4 of a teaspoon without the fear of looking greasy since I was going to be washing it out.

After reading so many wonderful posts on here about oiling after washing, I really wanted to give it a shot. I use barely any at all, just a fraction of the 1/4 teaspoon I was using before, just dipping my finger tip and then spreading that small dab on the palms of my hands and lightly touching from ear down. But my hair separates and looks very oily afterwards, it never absorbs or goes away until the next washing. Is it possible that thin/fine hair just can't be oiled w/o the greasy look?? Anyone with thin/fine hair have any oiling tips? Thanks! :o

amanda_the_tall
April 9th, 2012, 04:48 PM
i have the same problem, usually i apply it to my hair when it's really wet, and just blot it with a towel, it gets most of the excess oil off.

barely.there
April 9th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I have tried oiling my baby fine hair on and off....but I dont think the habit will really stick. I have found a good natural based conditioner that moisturizes my hair (Yes to Carrots). seems to work the best for me for now :)

*if you are interested in using the conditioner I mentioned, look at the ingredients label in stores because the ones posted online are not accurate. The recipe seems to have changed.

I hope you find something that works for you!!

ETA: I have also started misting my hair with lavender and orange essential oil diluted in filtered water. It smells good. I hope it works out long term.

Mrsbaybeegurl
April 9th, 2012, 05:19 PM
i have the same problem, usually i apply it to my hair when it's really wet, and just blot it with a towel, it gets most of the excess oil off.

Thanks, I usually apply once it's dry so I will have to try this.

I have tried oiling my baby fine hair on and off....but I dont think the habit will really stick........

At least I'm not alone in this lol I have tried the yes to carrots hair mask and loved it, but their products are a tad bit pricey for me, but something to consider if I find it on sale ;)

Vanilla
April 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Mineral oil works really well on fine hair while damp. I use 2-3 drops and it helps to seal in moisture without looking stringy.

BrightEyes
April 9th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have had the same problem. Any amount of oil would make my hair stringy and greasy. I have better luck using a tiny amount of a mixture of oils and butters (I still haven't quite figured out why this is). I use a small amount of NightBlooming's Panacea salve on my ends with great results.

torrilin
April 9th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I sometimes will apply coconut oil to my hair.

I usually spoon out a small amount (say a spoon from the silverware drawer's worth), and put it in a small container. I usually figure that amount will last me 6 months or so of regular oilings. This means I'm using a tiny scrape from the surface of my oil lump each time, for my whole head of BSL to waist length hair. (as in my hair has varied in length from BSL to waist while I experimented) For direct oiling, what works best is to put my hair into twin braids, then spread the oil on my hands to rub it into the braids.

The oil shampoo method works somewhat better, but it really requires my hair to have no mineral build up at all... so it's pretty finicky with how hard my water is.

Deep oiling before a wash doesn't seem to work well at all for me.

But on the whole, I find oiling pretty finicky to manage, and my regular leave in conditioner works better.

Honestwitness
April 9th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I have had very satisfactory results with baby oil (mineral oil). After shampoo and conditioner are rinsed out and the excess moisture is squeezed out of my hair, I put a small amount of baby oil in my left hand and rub it betweem both palms. Than I scrunch it gently into my length, with my head upside down. Then, I blot the hair with a towel and wrap it turban-style for a few minutes. Then I take the towel off, gently scrunch my length again, with nothing on my hands, to coax a few waves into the length. Then, I let it air dry. My ends never feel dry or grabby, since I've been doing this. I wash every two or three days. I'm also starting to wear it up more often. I have tried coconut, jojoba, olive, and castor oils, but none of them come close to being as nice for my hair as baby oil.

Mrsbaybeegurl
April 9th, 2012, 06:21 PM
It sounds like many of you are finding mineral oil/baby oil is better for thin hair. I really want to try that but I'm a bit hesitant since I ended up throwing all my baby oil out a few years ago because of conflicting reports that it does more harm than good (on skin) Also if I remember correctly it's a petroleum based product. How does it react on hair in comparison to skin? Does anyone feel it eventually builds up and keeps moisture out (as is the case with the skin) ??

I want to try it but need some further convincing lol;) Also do you just buy the mineral oil without it being the baby oil itself, since that has other added ingredients or is the baby oil better? Sorry for the Q's overload, and thanks everyone for all your input so far!!

annamoonfairy
April 9th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I use coconut oil and grapeseed oil on my ends.

swearnsue
April 9th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I have had very satisfactory results with baby oil (mineral oil). After shampoo and conditioner are rinsed out and the excess moisture is squeezed out of my hair, I put a small amount of baby oil in my left hand and rub it betweem both palms. Than I scrunch it gently into my length, with my head upside down. Then, I blot the hair with a towel and wrap it turban-style for a few minutes. Then I take the towel off, gently scrunch my length again, with nothing on my hands, to coax a few waves into the length. Then, I let it air dry. My ends never feel dry or grabby, since I've been doing this. I wash every two or three days. I'm also starting to wear it up more often. I have tried coconut, jojoba, olive, and castor oils, but none of them come close to being as nice for my hair as baby oil.

That is exactly my routine! After trying different things this is what I've found works best. The mineral oil doesn't build up like waxy things will. I use baby oil because it's lighter than plain mineral oil that I use on cutting boards.

alyanna
April 9th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I'm curious about baby oil too.

Damp oiling has worked very well for me. It's one of the few LHC "experiments" that I've stuck with. Right after I blot my hair dry after washing, I use a drop or two (maximum) of almond or olive oil. Rub into my palms quite well, then apply to just the ends of my hair. I find the oil gets absorbed quite well and keeps the dryness, frizziness, damaged-looking, fly aways at bay.

Nedertane
April 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I have done damp oiling and it's been moderately successful, but for me, it's easy to get messy/out of hand, so I stopped. I really like using my own spray that has olive oil and vitamin E oil mixed in, so I get moisture benefits without weighing my hair down, or super-greasifying it. ;)

islandboo
April 9th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I use coconut oil for pre-wash oilings but it is too heavy to use after washing on my thin, fine hair. Mineral oil didn't work for me but light oils like camellia or argan work very well. Everyone's hair reacts differently, so you may need to try a variety of oils before finding the one that works for you.

Vanilla
April 9th, 2012, 09:05 PM
It sounds like many of you are finding mineral oil/baby oil is better for thin hair. I really want to try that but I'm a bit hesitant since I ended up throwing all my baby oil out a few years ago because of conflicting reports that it does more harm than good (on skin) Also if I remember correctly it's a petroleum based product. How does it react on hair in comparison to skin? Does anyone feel it eventually builds up and keeps moisture out (as is the case with the skin) ??

I want to try it but need some further convincing lol;) Also do you just buy the mineral oil without it being the baby oil itself, since that has other added ingredients or is the baby oil better? Sorry for the Q's overload, and thanks everyone for all your input so far!!

Ktani has a great article on mineral oil/ baby oil :). I use the baby oil with the added fragrance since it has a built in dropper. It doesn't keep moisture out of my hair and definitely doesn't build up.

Here's ktani's article:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

LaserOctopus
April 10th, 2012, 04:53 AM
My hair is baby-fine. I tried baby oil and it absolutely didn't work for me (no lasting harm, just a big greasy mess). Following the examples of the brave hair pioneers on this board, I've started experimenting. I'm still trying to find the right one for me, but so far I have had the best results with vitamin E oil. It tames the staticky fly-aways, turns the short frizzies into soft curls, and shines the long bits without looking - or feeling - slimy. I use a tiny, tiny bit when my hair is still damp. It keeps my ends from tangling, too.

blondie9912
April 10th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I think it depends how damaged your hair is. I have fine hair that is heavily coloured and quite porous from about 3 inches at the top downwards, and I can use up to a dime sized blob of coconut oil in my hair without having it look greasy. I find it helps to braid or bun it afterwards, it seems to help the oil sink into my hair. Good luck :)

girlcat36
April 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I haven't had good luck with oils except coconut as a pre-poo. My hair is baby fine and curly. I am intrigued by the use of baby oil, and as much as I try to avoid petroleum products, I may have to give it a try.

PrairieRose
April 10th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I can't seem to use coconut oil. It just lingers and lingers. Jojoba oil and Camellia oil seem to work much better for me.

Mrsbaybeegurl
April 10th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Ktani has a great article on mineral oil/ baby oil :). I use the baby oil with the added fragrance since it has a built in dropper. It doesn't keep moisture out of my hair and definitely doesn't build up.

Here's ktani's article:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Thank you for sharing that link! It was very informative and shed new light on mineral oil, like girlcat said it's intriguing and I try to avoid petroleum products aswell but may have to give this a try.

StPaulaGirl
April 10th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I love jojoba oil. I apply it on wet hair directly out of the shower. I just apply a couple of drops to my palms, rub my hands together, and then apply it over my entire length and scalp. Nothing has made my hair as soft (I do use coconut oil before shampooing). It's done wonders for my hair, which is fine and damaged from bleaching.

Vanilla
April 10th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I haven't had good luck with oils except coconut as a pre-poo. My hair is baby fine and curly. I am intrigued by the use of baby oil, and as much as I try to avoid petroleum products, I may have to give it a try.

Thank you for sharing that link! It was very informative and shed new light on mineral oil, like girlcat said it's intriguing and I try to avoid petroleum products aswell but may have to give this a try.

Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised. :).

The first two times I tried baby oil it was a disaster. I applied way too much, and reapplied between washes. If you have a propensity to get greasy, don't do what I did. :)

finzi
June 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I used coconut oil on my hair today and it was fine. I used the tiniest amount - just a speck warmed between my palms, barely even enough to give a sheen to my hands but when I ran them over my hair it worked. I've just switched to a new shampoo and it left my hair a little drier than usual, but the coconut oil has brought back the shine and banished the fluff. :) I cannot emphasize how tiny an amount I used!

CarpeDM
June 27th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I only use oil when I am not going anywhere, for example I will oil my hair before bedtime and then tie my hair in braids so the oil can work its magic, then wash it out in the morning.

jillosity
June 27th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I have very fine hair too, I just dip my index finger in coconut oil, spread between my palms, then only apply on the ends of my hair. Any more than that and it's a greasy mess.

Less is more!

FrannyG
June 27th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Coconut oil works great for me as a pre-shampoo treatment, or mixed with my shampoo, but no matter how little I use on my freshly washed hair, my ends tend to separate and look greasy.

I use 2-3 drops of jojoba oil on my damp hair from the ears down, and it absorb very nicely, without looking as though my hair is the least bit oily. It adds a nice shine, too.

jojo
June 27th, 2012, 10:19 AM

My hair is fine but measures 4.3 inches in thickness and I've had excellent results using Mo. All products build up after a while but if you clarify it shouln't be a problem. My results have been softer,shinier hair and less splits my hair has retained length and I've already grown in 6 months what normally takes a year to grow. The only way to see if it's good for you is to try, but only a few drops is needed. Good luck.

Rufflebutt
June 27th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I have thick hair but I can get a bit oil-happy at times. If I accidentally put too much in and it ends up greasy, I just wear it in a bun. It looks a lot better that way. :P

heidi w.
June 27th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Hi, I have very fine hair. I used to use coconut oil as a pre poo so I used about 1/4 of a teaspoon without the fear of looking greasy since I was going to be washing it out.

After reading so many wonderful posts on here about oiling after washing, I really wanted to give it a shot. I use barely any at all, just a fraction of the 1/4 teaspoon I was using before, just dipping my finger tip and then spreading that small dab on the palms of my hands and lightly touching from ear down. But my hair separates and looks very oily afterwards, it never absorbs or goes away until the next washing. Is it possible that thin/fine hair just can't be oiled w/o the greasy look?? Anyone with thin/fine hair have any oiling tips? Thanks! :o

I have relatively fine hair. The reason you have your problem is simply because you're still using too much, and that's all. You're basically applying it correctly: taking up a dab, spreading it between your palms, and smoothing it into your hair length only. I did a youtube video a while back showing how I oiled my hair, and it seems to have helped some to show how little to use. I actually, in the video, used too much by a bit because the coconut oil I use had melted a bit, and it was a whole lot harder to get just the right amount out. I usually have a hard vessel of hard coconut oil, and scrape some under a nail off the top of the vial and smear between the palms of my hands so the palms are barely shiny, and you can only tell there's any oil there by tilting the hand about in the available light. Here's a link if that might help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

Fine hair types need very little oil, usually. If you have curly hair, which I do not, you might have to apply it differently than I do, such as while the hair is still damp, if you plan to leave it in. Oiling prior to a hair wash is usually done a whole lot heavier than oiling to leave in for days between hair washing. So the rule is to watch the amount that is used. A little bit goes a long way.

heidi w.

swearnsue
June 27th, 2012, 10:40 AM
A trick I use sometimes, because I tend to over-oil, is I put my hair in a pony and then apply just a tiny bit on the very tip of the pony. This way only the longest hairs get the needed oil.

roseomalley
June 28th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I use Camellia oil on my wet hair after shampooing. The tiniest amount rubbed on my palms and then on my length. I seal the oil in with a smidgen of Panacea. My hair is both fine and very thin. After experimenting with different oils, this routine works best for me. I also use the teeniest bit of Panacea on my ends, on dry hair between shampoos.

Hrtchoco
June 29th, 2014, 08:36 AM
As long as it's a small amount and towards your ends, I think you will be fine.

peachyleshy
June 30th, 2014, 06:52 AM
It doesn't work for me to use straight oil as a leave in, unless it's actually in a leave in conditioner. Right now, as my hair is only shoulder length, I'm sticking to only doing a prewash oil. I know I've used Garnier products in the past that contain different oils and I liked those.