PDA

View Full Version : Hair Pat Down At Airport Today

UltraBella
April 9th, 2012, 01:03 PM
After I went through the body scanner at MIA a TSA employee pulled me aside and said that she needed to pat down my bun because it is "large". It didn't bother me but it seems a little silly. I mean, I just went through a full body scanner.....
What did bother me, and I have no idea why really, is she also patted down a young African American lady's hair too, because she wears it naturally and it's essentially an afro. Her hair was so pretty and she seemed a bit upset to be pulled out of line and have her hair inspected. I felt bad for her.

Has this happened to anyone here ? What was your reaction ?

Of the Fae
April 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I'd see it as a compliment. The inspector deems your hair so large and awesome that it could not possibly be all hair- there must me a grenade inside to make it that large :D

lapushka
April 9th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I'd see it as a compliment. The inspector deems your hair so large and awesome that it could not possibly be all hair- there must me a grenade inside to make it that large :D

That just made me LOL! :lol: :D

littleizz
April 9th, 2012, 01:10 PM
The only time I was patted down in an airport was because of a baggy sweatshirt. It was freaky, though, because it was in France and I wasn't a frequent flyer, so besides the fact that I had NO idea what was going on, my school group started leaving me because they'd tossed me in a little glass box to wait for a female inspector. Little scary!

VikingVampChick
April 9th, 2012, 01:11 PM
After I went through the body scanner at MIA a TSA employee pulled me aside and said that she needed to pat down my bun because it is "large". It didn't bother me but it seems a little silly. I mean, I just went through a full body scanner.....
What did bother me, and I have no idea why really, is she also patted down a young African American lady's hair too, because she wears it naturally and it's essentially an afro. Her hair was so pretty and she seemed a bit upset to be pulled out of line and have her hair inspected. I felt bad for her.

Haven't flown since a few months before 9/11, but I live in Miami. MIA is very strict about security, even befoe 9/11, compared to other airports I used - Newark, LAX, and others.

Patting both of you down is actually one of the most even-handed/fair applications of who gets what procedure I've heard of in a while, actually.

CherrySilver
April 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM
A compliment?!! So a grenade is not going to show up in a body scanner?!! I guess they must be afraid that she had some organic explosives that might not show up on the xray. More inefficiencies by the overly zealous TSA -- gimme a break.

Teao_the_cat
April 9th, 2012, 01:14 PM
it's happened to me before too- I thought it was a bit funny. She'd patted down every other part of me, and then stopped to ask if it was okay if she touched my hair! Oh well, if checking my braid makes people feel safer, go for it.

shutterpillar
April 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Very interesting! I hadn't even thought of them needing to pat down your hair. I would take it as a compliment! LOL.

UltraBella
April 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM
It didn't both me, she was gentle and didn't mess my bun up. It seems a bit unnecessary after a full body scan though.
I felt bad for the other gal though, she did not look happy having the TSA agent squish through her lovely afro.

HintOfMint
April 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM
As weird as it is to say this, I'm glad they patted down your hair as well as the young lady's afro. An equal opportunity application of paranoia dressed as national security, if you will :p In all seriousness, I've read reports where black people with natural hair have had their hair "rummaged through" in airport pat downs in a way that feels very invasive and disrespectful.

Don't even get me started on the full body scanners...

But hey, welcome back and hope you had a great trip!

littleizz
April 9th, 2012, 01:19 PM
it's happened to me before too- I thought it was a bit funny. She'd patted down every other part of me, and then stopped to ask if it was okay if she touched my hair! Oh well, if checking my braid makes people feel safer, go for it.Haha, aw, at least she asked! I feel bad when people complain about the TSA. There are some that take it too far, I'll agree with that, but for the most part they're just doing their job. I'd rather be inconvenienced with a 2 minute pat-down than sitting next to some crack-pot with a pocket knife on a 6 hour flight.

carolinaberry
April 9th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Why would it be worse for it to happen to an African-American? Obviously it wasn't racism, as you were pulled out too. Treating everyone the same is the opposite of racism, so if your big hair had to be inspected, it is only right that all other big hair should be inspected.

Vallena
April 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Its never happened to me, but I would be very annoyed. I think most of the TSA activities are a waste of time and money.

Maybe she was trying to figure out how you did your bun! :p

barely.there
April 9th, 2012, 01:25 PM
haha. this made me remember a funny story.

In grade 7, One of my classmates had his african american fro going huge. Kids decided to stick about 150 pencils/pens in it. they stayed. It was amazing.

Is it ironic to have to be patted "down there" but then they have to ask if its okay to pat down your hair?

UltraBella
April 9th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Why would it be worse for it to happen to an African-American? Obviously it wasn't racism, as you were pulled out too. Treating everyone the same is the opposite of racism, so if your big hair had to be inspected, it is only right that all other big hair should be inspected.

It obviously WAS worse for her, she was upset, whether or not it had anything to do with race is unknown because I didn't have the chance to ask her how she felt about it. She seemed to be offended and I felt bad for her.

swearnsue
April 9th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Maybe she was upset because she had something in her hair that she didn't want found? Just a thought.

carolinaberry
April 9th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Oh, so I misread. I thought you were saying that you felt worse that they were doing it b/c she was African American, now I understand you were saying that she was African American, and you felt worse because she was more upset about it than you. Sometimes it's hard to glean subtle meaning online! You must have that same maternal instinct that comes out all the time in me where I want to make sure everyone is ok.

Covet
April 9th, 2012, 01:33 PM

^^ this. I don't think it's racism, she patted down the lady's afro for the same reason she inspected your hair?

carolinaberry
April 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Oh, and ps-I would take it as a compliment, even if it was a pain in the neck.

HintOfMint
April 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Maybe she was upset because she had something in her hair that she didn't want found? Just a thought.

Maybe she was upset because she doesn't like to be touched? Just a thought:rolleyes:

Valorie
I had a hair pat down a couple weeks ago. I honestly didn't care...I can see how different circumstances could seem, well.. different. The lady that pulled me aside didn't really make a big deal out of it and it took about 5 seconds.
I was in a hurry though and left a necklace and a key in my pocket. No one thought anything of that though, LOL. I didn't realize it until I was already inside buying a coffee.

Of the Fae
A compliment?!! So a grenade is not going to show up in a body scanner?!! I guess they must be afraid that she had some organic explosives that might not show up on the xray. More inefficiencies by the overly zealous TSA -- gimme a break.

Hey, it was just a joke!

luxepiggy
LOL! I think it's fairly obvious to even the casual observer that my hair is totally incapable of concealing so much as a single bobby pin. Definitely no capacity for dangerous contraband (^(oo)^)v

Once however, I had to walk a thoroughly confused TSA agent through an inspection of one of my handbags - it was pretty hilarious. You're not allowed to touch your stuff while they're doing the inspection, and he couldn't figure out how to get the bag open once he'd removed it from the dustbag! Enter piggy with verbal direction: "See that dangly bit hanging from the strap? There's a key inside for the lock. OK, now you need to rotate that little circle that the lock was hanging in by 90 degrees. Now grab that metal buckle and pull it forward until it slides off the end of the post....." It took like 10 minutes, and he gave me the weirdest look when he opened the bag and discovered there was nothing inside but tissue paper stuffing (>(oo)<)`

UltraBella
April 9th, 2012, 01:44 PM
^^ this. I don't think it's racism, she patted down the lady's afro for the same reason she inspected your hair?

I didn't suggest it was racism.

Oh, so I misread. I thought you were saying that you felt worse that they were doing it b/c she was African American, now I understand you were saying that she was African American, and you felt worse because she was more upset about it than you. Sometimes it's hard to glean subtle meaning online! You must have that same maternal instinct that comes out all the time in me where I want to make sure everyone is ok.

Yes, I was using African American and afro as a descriptive, so everyone could have a understanding of what her hair was like.
I really did feel bad for her, and the people in her group seemed bothered as well. I wanted to get the chance to tell her how pretty her hair was but didn't get the opportunity.

spidermom
April 9th, 2012, 01:46 PM
The only time I got searched - down to removing my strapply little sandals - was going into a Megadeth concert. I guess I just didn't fit the demographic.

Covet
April 9th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I didn't suggest it was racism.

Okay. This is what made me think you did,

"What did bother me, and I have no idea why really, is she also patted down a young African American lady's hair too, because she wears it naturally and it's essentially an afro."

Ligeia_13
April 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Never happened to me, but the last time I went through the airport, they checked out a lady's hair because she had it clipped up and the rest of the hair was falling over the clip. I mean what on earth could she have been hiding in there?

UltraBella
April 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Okay. This is what made me think you did,

"What did bother me, and I have no idea why really, is she also patted down a young African American lady's hair too, because she wears it naturally and it's essentially an afro."

What I was trying to say was that it bothered me because she was bothered, so I felt bad for her but I am not sure why I cared - I don't know her and it wasn't really any of my business.

Unicorn
April 9th, 2012, 01:54 PM
It obviously WAS worse for her, she was upset, whether or not it had anything to do with race is unknown because I didn't have the chance to ask her how she felt about it. She seemed to be offended and I felt bad for her.
A lot of black women/men are sensitised to having their hair touched in this way - it comes from a lifetime of being patted like some sort of pet because their hair is deemed "unusual". This poking, petting or insulting of afro hair is an aspect of rasicm that rarey gets aired as it has far less serious impact than other aspects, but has been a daily reminder of otherness for generations. Hence being legally obliged to endure this does grate hugely for many.

Unicorn

Anje
April 9th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I'd say it's worse largely because curly hair is tricky to style and easy to mess up. Patting down a person's curls might mean that their hair will look unkept until they wash it again, while straight and gently wavy hair can easily be combed out and re-styled.

UltraBella
April 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM
A lot of black women/men are sensitised to having their hair touched in this way - it comes from a lifetime of being patted like some sort of pet because their hair is deemed "unusual". This poking, petting or insulting of afro hair is an aspect of rasicm that rarey gets aired as it has far less serious impact than other aspects, but has been a daily reminder of otherness for generations. Hence being legally obliged to endure this does grate hugely for many.

Unicorn

Thank you for that. Although I couldn't read her mind, I did wonder if it was something of that nature.
I didn't feel anything except for a large curiosity as to what the heck would not show up on the full body scan that I might possibly be hiding ??? I am still very curious !

littleizz
April 9th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I didn't feel anything except for a large curiosity as to what the heck would not show up on the full body scan that I might possibly be hiding ??? I am still very curious !I know a friend of mine had acrylic knitting needles taken from her because of how long they were. I guess they just have to assume that not all "weapons" will necessarily be metal. That kind of makes me wonder, though, how many of us would make it through security with some of the hair sticks we wear?!

Obviously your hairtoys couldn't have been an issue - if you don't mind, what were you keeping your hair up with?

heidi w.
April 9th, 2012, 02:08 PM

Yep. I've been asked to take pins out of my hair, pull the hairstick out. I've had the exterior of my bun patted down. ETA: Which amused me because I could've still hid something fairly small in my bun. END ETA

There is this idea that Afro hair styles can more easily hide stuff in their hair, kind of like Marge Simpson does. It's kind of sad, and I have no real idea if someone has ever done that.

I have learned to just wear a hairstick in my hair when I fly, and to remove it before going through the body scanner. It's just easier. I can easily put my hair back up in the hairstick after I'm through Security. But the bonus is I can rest my head if need be in an airplane.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 9th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Thank you for that. Although I couldn't read her mind, I did wonder if it was something of that nature.
I didn't feel anything except for a large curiosity as to what the heck would not show up on the full body scan that I might possibly be hiding ??? I am still very curious !

It is my understanding that different scanners apparently do have the capability of being set to different sensitivity settings.

Yes, Black Women, as I understand it, are not in favor of having their hair touched or worse, pulled. It can make wigs and weaves crooked, for one. The idea can cause a number of problems apparently.

heidi w.

Kittyxx
April 9th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I've had hidden metal in hairtoys that have set the machine off before but never had my hair patted down - also I suppose it could be more of a drug thing than a weapons thing - not sure that they show up properly

heidi w.
April 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM
LOL! I think it's fairly obvious to even the casual observer that my hair is totally incapable of concealing so much as a single bobby pin. Definitely no capacity for dangerous contraband (^(oo)^)v

Once however, I had to walk a thoroughly confused TSA agent through an inspection of one of my handbags - it was pretty hilarious. You're not allowed to touch your stuff while they're doing the inspection, and he couldn't figure out how to get the bag open once he'd removed it from the dustbag! Enter piggy with verbal direction: "See that dangly bit hanging from the strap? There's a key inside for the lock. OK, now you need to rotate that little circle that the lock was hanging in by 90 degrees. Now grab that metal buckle and pull it forward until it slides off the end of the post....." It took like 10 minutes, and he gave me the weirdest look when he opened the bag and discovered there was nothing inside but tissue paper stuffing (>(oo)<)`

I've had my baggage and luggage inspected. I have learned not to lock my suitcase. If they can't unlock it and you checked it, they will slice it open. Expensive problem.

A friend of mine traveling from Germany to the US found this out. I had to tell her not to lock her suitcase. She was pretty pissed. She couldn't understand the whole search thing, either. I told her it's after 9/11, and all rules have changed, and that's the way of it now.

Makes one consider using a grocery bag instead! LOL (I've actually done that when camping. The first time I went camping I had no luggage bag, so I stuffed my stuff in a grocery bag and announced my readiness to depart. My BF of the moment (as I call it) laughed at me. But I traveled that way throughout the US by car with my stuff in a grocery bag. It worked. I made it.

heidi w.

UltraBella
April 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I know a friend of mine had acrylic knitting needles taken from her because of how long they were. I guess they just have to assume that not all "weapons" will necessarily be metal. That kind of makes me wonder, though, how many of us would make it through security with some of the hair sticks we wear?!

Obviously your hairtoys couldn't have been an issue - if you don't mind, what were you keeping your hair up with?

I start my bun in a ponytail secured with a stretchy elastic and then I use two little plastic u pins and then about four or five tiny little jaw clips. Not likely to maim anyone with those, lol. My bun breaks the u pins constantly, so if I stabbed someone with one I *might* be able to give them a wicked bruise ;)

PinkyCat
April 9th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Wonder if they would suspect the "Bubble Braid"?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8306&pictureid=129785

"No no, this is usually how I carry my fruit....oranges to be precise"

UltraBella
April 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Drugs !!! Hadn't even crossed my mind, lol.

WELL, boarding my plane now so I will be unavailable to comment on this interesting discussion for a good five hours or so......

littleizz
April 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I've had hidden metal in hairtoys that have set the machine off before but never had my hair patted down - also I suppose it could be more of a drug thing than a weapons thing - not sure that they show up properlyAahhh. Good point.

I start my bun in a ponytail secured with a stretchy elastic and then I use two little plastic u pins and then about four or five tiny little jaw clips. Not likely to maim anyone with those, lol. My bun breaks the u pins constantly, so if I stabbed someone with one I *might* be able to give them a wicked bruise ;)Lol, sounds like your hair might be more dangerous than anything you could be hiding in it! :p

"No no, this is usually how I carry my fruit....":rollin:

curlymarcia
April 9th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I don't have afro hair, but as a curly I don't like people touching my frizz prone hair, maybe the idea of crazy frizzy hair could upset the girl.

Linika
April 9th, 2012, 02:44 PM
What I find interesting with airport security is that you are allowed to carry keys and *le gasp* hair sticks on the plane. Perfect murder weapons really...

Kinkycurlygurl
April 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM

@carolinaberry It's not worse because it happened to an African-American. It's worse because the inspector squished her 'fro. When you see a big, symetrical perfect-looking 'fro it represents major fluffing time. She said the inspector "squished" through it. Her hairstyle was ruined. I'd be mad.:slap:

jacqueline101
April 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I'd never had that happen but seriously what do they think you would hide in your bun.

LaceyNg
April 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM
yeah, i'd be pissed off too if my 'fro was squished! in basic training i picked out a battle buddy's 'fro for her and i know just how time consuming it is to get it even!

senegal
April 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM
They're just being invasive, creepy, and ineffective - it's their job!

And if the TSA ever wants to touch you, especially your hair, ask them to change their gloves. Who knows who or what they have been touching - feet, hair, groins. Ick.

caadam
April 9th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Probably the closest thing to this I've had happen to me was when I was pulled aside so that security could pat down my skirt.

I said, "Oh... uh, if you must."

The lady officer said, "Your skirt is very long, is why. Is that a problem?"

I said, "No, but I understand now. Go ahead."

lol It was interesting.

AnqeIicDemise
April 9th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I got pulled aside often.. because of my big bust. (this was pre-body scanner). I swear, they thought I stuffed or had a bomb or two in there.

If I traveled now, I wonder what would set off the alarm first-- the hair or the bust?

Viola88
April 9th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I remember a scene in Good Fellas where one of the wives gets home after a flight and shakes smuggled diamond after smuggled diamond out of her beehive (at least I think it was a beehive).

NymphSpirit
April 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Oh lol no, that never happened, but the last time I went to an airport was about 2 years ago and I had really short hair.

But I do have to say the Miami airport sucks. It was my first time in the US and the lady pulled me aside and started screaming, ordering me to remove whatever I had inside my pockets, I got so nervous I suddenly couldn't speak english at all! I couldn't even tell her the pockets were fake. After some time aparently the genius finally understood that there were no pockets and let me go. Terrible experience. Worst is my cousin made fun of me, blerghh

(Oh and when she patted me she didn't even ask for permission, she just started touching...)

darklyndsea
April 9th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I'd never had that happen but seriously what do they think you would hide in your bun.
I could hide lots of things in my buns...the question is more "what couldn't I hide in my bun?"

If the TSA's in a reasonable mood, hair searches are probably more about drugs than weapons. If they're in an unreasonable mood...well, you never know, somebody might have a four ounce container of liquid hidden in there (gasp!)

MinderMutsig
April 9th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I'd never had that happen but seriously what do they think you would hide in your bun.In a decently sized bun you could hide a pretty large amount of drugs I think. You only have to look at the sockbun to understand how. Especially if you use a large sock or legwarmer. Can you imagine something like that but filled with cocaine or something? I don't know a lot about drugs but I'm pretty sure that would have a street value that could buy you a very nice collection of hairtoys!

@UltraBella: I'll admit I'm a cynic. My very first thought when reading your post was that it was racist and you only got checked because they wanted to check the afro of that girl.

"See, we aren't racist! We're checking that white girl too!"

For practical reasons I don't really understand why one would fly with a hairstyle that takes that much work to get it to look just right and that is so easily messed up though. I would go for something that is comfortable, fuss-free, doesn't invite grabby hands from the kid on the seat behind you, and has as little chance of the security agent rummaging through it as possible.

I mean, it's something most longhairs think about before flying and I can't imagine it being anything different for afro-haired longhairs. I can even imagine it being more of an issue if you have (kinky) curly hair because it takes more work to comb and a pat-down is almost guaranteed to mess it up. I would want something that is comfortable when I want to take a nap on the plane, isn't easily messed up or at least still looks somewhat decent (or intentional:p) if it is. I would probably go for one or more braids, possibly bunned.

ArienEllariel
April 9th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Wow, I just pictured a sock bun that someone's rolled drugs up in. O_o Not that anyone here would do that.

battles
April 9th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I could hide lots of things in my buns...the question is more "what couldn't I hide in my bun?"

If the TSA's in a reasonable mood, hair searches are probably more about drugs than weapons. If they're in an unreasonable mood...well, you never know, somebody might have a four ounce container of liquid hidden in there (gasp!)

Check this out. (http://www.environmentteam.com/concept/h2go-donut-shaped-water-purifier-and-bottle/)

:D

ETA: Oh, or these (http://img.hisupplier.com/var/userImages/2011-06/02/100655605_yummy_donut_shape_lip_gloss_s.jpg)..

Seeshami
April 9th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I had the same thing happen but they SHOWED me my scan and explained why. The mass of hair on your head gives them I different color then the rest of you on the screen. I laughed when she asked and told her of course she could search my bun and even offered to take it down. They seemed relieved I found it hilarious and apologized for wearing a bun. I should know better by now.

I always get searched for one reason or another.

PixxieStix
April 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I have often thought of what I would do in the future for going through airport security with long hair, but never really anticipated a pat down of my up-do! I have considered that I should never wear metal hair sticks to the airport.

I had those flat metal clips in my hair once holding back my growing-out bangs the last time I flew, and did have the TSA lady come and ask me to bend down so she could look at the top of my head. I just had to giggle.

Patty lou
April 9th, 2012, 06:46 PM
In a couple of weeks we will be flying so I will simply make 2 english braids and
loop them up. They can then lay on my chest.

Nothing to hide,

Patty loy

daeana
April 9th, 2012, 06:54 PM
i can get my hair to secure itself in a bee butt bun for a short amount of time, such as the amount of time it takes to go through all the steps of security (i usually braid it while waiting at the gate). once, the TSA person asked me to remove anything i had in my hair. i said it was being held up by itself. absolutely no one believed me, so after a bit of back-and-forth futility, i pulled the bun down, and nothing fell out. then everyone was cooing over my hair. :p

EdG
April 9th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I always wear my hair down, so I haven't been subject to hair pat-downs.

I once went through a security checkpoint behind a man with waist-length hair. The TSA agent remarked that it was the day for male long hair. :D
Ed

Amber_Maiden
April 9th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I've had my hair patted down because of how large my buns are. I don't like people touching me, period. It takes a lot of trust form me in order to allow someone to touch me. I got a bit upset because it violate amy personal space. I hated having my hair touched my security. It has happened twice.

cwarren
April 9th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I try my best not to fly when I travel just to avoid this. I understand that these measures are "necessary" but they are also invasive, creepy and annoying. Just like I don't like random people on the street touching my hair, I would hate to have some stranger put those dirty gloves in my hair.

sun-kissed
April 9th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Lol, I'm glad you're okay with it, UltraBella! I've never been patted down before, but if I ever am, I sure hope it's by some gentle, polite officer, because I would be both disturbed and upset, and would shutter visibly. I can't stand having other people touch me.

nicolezoie
April 9th, 2012, 08:21 PM
To avoid rubbing my bun on the airplane seat, I wore a bun cover, and TSA made me undo both the cover and the bun. On two flights. I'm never doing that again. I'll just keep the thing in my pocket and keep my braid down. With my hair I understood why, but that doesn't mean I had to like it. :slap:

UltraBella
April 9th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Ewwwwwwww ! I hadn't even thought of that either ! She was touching people's bags and shoes :( YUCK !

I travel very often and internationally, I always wear my hair in a bun and this is the first time that anyone has ever patted it down.

A quick story : one time I was thrilled with TSA because I was in an airport that had just started using the full body scan and they were only doing it to a small percentage of people. My husband was being scanned with a wand before going through the regular metal detector, while I was put in line for the body scanner. My husband snickered and teased me about it, that I must look suspicious. He was already through before I was even done. The giant stone-faced TSA agent told me to step into the scanner, and I pointed to my husband behind him and said lightheartedly "He's making fun of me." I stepped out of the scanner and the agent said to my husband "Your turn." My husband chuckled, until he realized the guy was dead serious. So he had to go back through to the the other side and get scanned ! He looked so nervous and I was cracking up. It was awesome, lol.

Kelikea
April 9th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I'm now seriously considering wearing my sock bun next time I fly:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=117332&albumid=8987&dl=1319761518&thumb=1
Umm...mostly cause I'm just ornery like that:)

darklyndsea
April 9th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'm now seriously considering wearing my sock bun next time I fly:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=117332&albumid=8987&dl=1319761518&thumb=1
Umm...mostly cause I'm just ornery like that:)
Put a toy surprise in the middle of it (like in the one thread...)! ...um, possibly I'm bad at giving advice.

teela1978
April 9th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I've been braiding my hair for flights lately just because of this. Not sure what they think I'm hiding in my little bun :shrug:

Pierre
April 9th, 2012, 08:52 PM
But I do have to say the Miami airport sucks. It was my first time in the US and the lady pulled me aside and started screaming, ordering me to remove whatever I had inside my pockets, I got so nervous I suddenly couldn't speak english at all! I couldn't even tell her the pockets were fake. After some time aparently the genius finally understood that there were no pockets and let me go. Terrible experience. Worst is my cousin made fun of me, blerghh
The Gollum dress: What has it got in its pocketses?

I was in the San Juan airport and Pat Downs felt something in my shirt. I pulled out my beard. If you haven't seen it, look at the Berkeley meet report.

getoffmyskittle
April 9th, 2012, 08:54 PM
My hair gets fondled every time I go. :lol:

ravenheather
April 9th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Not that I'd particularly love having strangers touch my hair, but I'd like to think my hair was considered a "possible threat to national security". Maybe in a couple of years.

danacc
April 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Yes, the same thing happened to me. I was asked to go through the body scan, and then the agent asked if she could pat my hair. I had a bun held with an aluminum fork. She *loved* the fork; she said she had never seen anything like it. She was very gentle, and even my slippery hair stayed in place.

I made a second trip through the same airport, and got the same treatment. This time the agent told me that the hair fork showed up on the scan, and so she had to check that area to make sure that was all that was registering.

I'm going to wear a single braid the next time I fly--I hadn't even thought of the bun itself attracting suspicion.

Iolanthe13
April 9th, 2012, 09:41 PM
When I had TBL hair, I used found that a braided bun was the best option - leave the braid down for security and it won't set off the metal detector. Put it up on the other side and it stays up with two or three pins. Plus any oil you put in will sort of protect from the horrible dry aeroplane air *shudder* Or so I like to think...

DarkSky
April 9th, 2012, 10:48 PM
After I went through the body scanner at MIA a TSA employee pulled me aside and said that she needed to pat down my bun because it is "large".

Sorry but when I read this first part I LOL'd! I was just picturing this awesome voluminous bun. It's a compliment in some ways that you were noticed but what a real hassle though. Also it probably wasn't a pleasant experience. I would hate a stranger toiling through my hair.

Naiadryade
April 9th, 2012, 11:38 PM
It didn't both me, she was gentle and didn't mess my bun up. It seems a bit unnecessary after a full body scan though.
I felt bad for the other gal though, she did not look happy having the TSA agent squish through her lovely afro.

@carolinaberry It's not worse because it happened to an African-American. It's worse because the inspector squished her 'fro. When you see a big, symetrical perfect-looking 'fro it represents major fluffing time. She said the inspector "squished" through it. Her hairstyle was ruined. I'd be mad.:slap:

@UltraBella: I'll admit I'm a cynic. My very first thought when reading your post was that it was racist and you only got checked because they wanted to check the afro of that girl.

"See, we aren't racist! We're checking that white girl too!"

I agree... I think the problematic part of this story isn't that you each got your hair checked, it's how. She just touched the outside of your bun, but it sounds like she ran her fingers all through this other woman's hair. That's very different treatment. It probably wouldn't have messed your hair up to take it down and let her run her fingers through it, as much as it would for an afro, but she didn't do that.

The joking part of me wants to say, maybe she just wanted an excuse to touch (both of) your hair!

But the not so joking part of me wants to say to this:

I got pulled aside often.. because of my big bust. (this was pre-body scanner). I swear, they thought I stuffed or had a bomb or two in there.

If I traveled now, I wonder what would set off the alarm first-- the hair or the bust?

Did it seem like maybe they mostly just wanted to touch your bust?

carolinaberry
April 10th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I agree... I think the problematic part of this story isn't that you each got your hair checked, it's how. She just touched the outside of your bun, but it sounds like she ran her fingers all through this other woman's hair. That's very different treatment. It probably wouldn't have messed your hair up to take it down and let her run her fingers through it, as much as it would for an afro, but she didn't do that.

The joking part of me wants to say, maybe she just wanted an excuse to touch (both of) your hair!

But the not so joking part of me wants to say to this:

Did it seem like maybe they mostly just wanted to touch your bust?

See...I think this type of overly-quick-to-assume-anything-involving-a-minority-is-racism attitude is more of a real problem than actual racism. Occam's Razor leads to the conclusion that only her bun was gently patted because it was the only "big" part of her hair, whereas the entire afro had to be patted because it was all big. See, not racist. She didn't say they were rough with the afro, just that the girl didn't want them touching it. But I say it is racist to assume the only possible reason a minority could be singaled out is racism...because that means that you are assuming the only significant quality that girl had was her skin color. The TSA agent had the right of it...if big hair has to be searched, that includes non-white big hair too!

carolinaberry
April 10th, 2012, 12:30 AM

"No no, this is usually how I carry my fruit....oranges to be precise"
That is a very cute hairstyle! And I am sure they would want to poke about in each bubble! Who knows what assortment of banned items you may have stored in there?

carolinaberry
April 10th, 2012, 12:36 AM

I absolutely understand that. I could imagine wanting to slap someone who messed it up!

carolinaberry
April 10th, 2012, 01:39 AM

Unicorn

I think this over-sensitivity and assumption that everything is racism is harmful to our society and sets everyone back. I do get why it would be offensive if someone was being demeaning or actually racist, or how it would be offensive to someone who had experienced on-going clearly pronounced racism and I know there are racists. However, I don't think curiosity about differences is racism, especially when it occurs in childhood.

My hair was always silky/shiny/straight. When I was in elementary school, black girls ALWAYS touched my hair without asking me, very often going so far as to start braiding it in class if they sat behind me---without ever asking if it was ok to touch me. This one girl would run her fingers through my hair, suck her thumb, and go to sleep. I was a very shy child (have social anxiety as an adult) and this made me very uncomfortable. Not because I felt it was racist, but because people outside my family were touching me. And the thing is, I know they were touching my hair...quite literally petting me...because it was so different than theirs...so technically I guess that was racist on their part? But not really, they were just curious about hair that was differently textured. And my generation never experienced slavery or segregation, so there is no "memory" among my classmates that should have suggested touching their hair was racist. I was fascinated and a bit envious of their braids and beads. There was no malice or feeling of superiority in my thoughts.

And since subtle nuance/mood is impossible to detect on the internet, I need to clarify that I am not saying or thinking this with a snarky attitude. I am just trying to say that not everything is racist, even when it is motivated by curiosity about differences. To me people are people and everyone should be treated the same. But we are human and human nature leads to curiosity about differences.

PS-sorry for the hijack. I will stop now.

Unicorn
April 10th, 2012, 02:44 AM
I think this over-sensitivity and assumption that everything is racism is harmful to our society and sets everyone back. I do get why it would be offensive if someone was being demeaning or actually racist, or how it would be offensive to someone who had experienced on-going clearly pronounced racism and I know there are racists. However, I don't think curiosity about differences is racism, especially when it occurs in childhood.

My hair was always silky/shiny/straight. When I was in elementary school, black girls ALWAYS touched my hair without asking me, very often going so far as to start braiding it in class if they sat behind me---without ever asking if it was ok to touch me. This one girl would run her fingers through my hair, suck her thumb, and go to sleep. I was a very shy child (have social anxiety as an adult) and this made me very uncomfortable. Not because I felt it was racist, but because people outside my family were touching me. And the thing is, I know they were touching my hair...quite literally petting me...because it was so different than theirs...so technically I guess that was racist on their part? But not really, they were just curious about hair that was differently textured. And my generation never experienced slavery or segregation, so there is no "memory" among my classmates that should have suggested touching their hair was racist. I was fascinated and a bit envious of their braids and beads. There was no malice or feeling of superiority in my thoughts.

And since subtle nuance/mood is impossible to detect on the internet, I need to clarify that I am not saying or thinking this with a snarky attitude. I am just trying to say that not everything is racist, even when it is motivated by curiosity about differences. To me people are people and everyone should be treated the same. But we are human and human nature leads to curiosity about differences.

PS-sorry for the hijack. I will stop now.

I have lived it.

I had the insults.

I was petted like a dog by strangers.

I was treated like a piece of exotica.

I was treated like some oddity.

I saw the pulled faces after they removed their hands.

I heard the discussions they had about it when they thought I wasn't listening.

Adults and children.

The last time I had a stranger satisfy their curiosity about what 'black hair feels like', without my permission and quite roughly was about two year ago. A damn grown man grabbed my hair as I walked past him, swished it examined it. I object to white people grabbing my hair in their vile ignorance.

Assumed rasicm can be annoying. Actual racism leads regularly to assult, death, rape etc. - I know which I think is worse.

You know nothing and really should leave this subject alone.

When you see your family take a beating because they're black.

When you are told (to your face) you will never get your promotion because you are black when you are called n&#37;$^r on a regular basis.

When you watch your father weep at the humiliation he has to swallow to feed his children,

When some ignoramous feels they are entiled to tell you how to feel about your experiences, only then do you get to decide what is or is not over sensitive about living as a black person in a white dominated society.

Unicorn

UltraBella
April 10th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Unicorn, that was deeply moving and gut wrenching to read, all at the same time. I appreciate your perspective and thank you for sharing the harsh truth of your experiences.

Unicorn
April 10th, 2012, 04:07 AM
UltraBella my apologies for barfing onto your thread :(

This awful rationalising away the negatives in our society, by those who don't have to deal with it, really just got my goat. I guess this one hit home. This is done with so many things, not only about racism. This turning a blind eye is what allows these negative to persist.

Sorry.... UB :flower:

Unicorn

Littlewing13
April 10th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Oh gosh! haha well yes see that as a good thing. I hope one day that my hair is long & thick enough to get checked for explosives.

I got bomb checked from brisbane to sydney (they just run a device like a metal detector over your clothing), & nearly back again except the guy said I looked too "tired" & checked DBF instead. Gee thanks. Although that was an understatement, I'd been up all night due to migraine & was flying high on 1 1/2 mercyndol at the time. I was struggling not to drool on myself.

MinderMutsig
April 10th, 2012, 04:14 AM
See...I think this type of overly-quick-to-assume-anything-involving-a-minority-is-racism attitude is more of a real problem than actual racism. Occam's Razor leads to the conclusion that only her bun was gently patted because it was the only "big" part of her hair, whereas the entire afro had to be patted because it was all big. See, not racist. She didn't say they were rough with the afro, just that the girl didn't want them touching it. But I say it is racist to assume the only possible reason a minority could be singaled out is racism...because that means that you are assuming the only significant quality that girl had was her skin color. The TSA agent had the right of it...if big hair has to be searched, that includes non-white big hair too!I'm not from the US and I've never flown to or within the US but I do frequent American and international hair boards, including here and Naturally Curly.

I almost never hear someone who got a hair pat down by TSA. Most of the times I do hear people say they got a hair pat down, the person who experienced that is African-American and wearing their hair naturally curly. A significantly smaller part of those people had some sort of headcovering and every single time I hear a white woman say she got checked they also mention the one other black woman or covered woman who got checked.

Perhaps white women get checked all the time but they don't think it's a problem so they never mention it on hair forums. That's possible. But like I said, I'm a cynic. I really can't see a coincidence here.

It also makes no sense from a practical standpoint to only pat down the outside of a bun but rummage through an entire afro. A bun is dense, there could be all kinds of things in there. An afro is light and fluffy and it would be VERY hard to conceal stuff in there without it falling out. Patting down a bun from the outside tells you nothing about what is on the inside. It makes no sense.

Rosetta
April 10th, 2012, 04:22 AM
I think this over-sensitivity and assumption that everything is racism is harmful to our society and sets everyone back.
I completely agree.

And I do think Unicorn's reply to her (below) was among the rudest things I've ever read here. (I don't understand how some of you can actually condone it...)

When some ignoramous feels they are entiled to tell you how to feel about your experiences, only then do you get to decide what is or is not over sensitive about living as a black person in a white dominated society.

florenonite
April 10th, 2012, 04:38 AM

Are you familiar with the concept of white privilege? White people living in a predominantly white society have privileges afforded to them based on their ethnicity and, as a result, struggle to understand what it's like to be a person of colour in these societies. You, who have, I presume, never faced systematic discrimination on the basis of your appearance (at least, not in an ethnic context), can't understand what it's like to be in that position. Neither can I; I freely admit that.

This is why there's a difference between curiosity over a white person's hair and curiosity over a black person's hair. I would love to live in a society in which there isn't a difference, but in a society with white privilege there is.

ETA: I'm not saying we should assume that any action involving minorities is racism. What I am saying is that we should be sensitive to the fact that people of colour have likely experienced racism and this will have altered their outlook on something like having their hair touched.

ETA2: I'm also not saying we should be treating people differently on the basis of race because that's, well, racism. That doesn't mean it's not important to be aware that racism affects people's lives.

Mrs.Witherup
April 10th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I wonder what they would've done had you refused! It's been years since I flew, I went to Vegas with my mom for my 21st birthday, and I got picked for security both ways! I think my hair was down then though, it wasn't nearly as long as it is now, maybe just past shoulder? Anyways, I think nowadays I would have to politely decline. Please don't touch me!

UltraBella
April 10th, 2012, 04:51 AM
And I do think Unicorn's reply to her (below) was among the rudest things I've ever read here. (I don't understand how some of you can actually condone it...)

If you mean me, then simply say so, because I am the only person who has responded to Unicorn so far.

I condone it because it's HERS. It's ugly, it's raw, it's emotional and it's HER truth. She owns it. It's a reflection of hurt and anger that she IS entitled to. Life itself is RUDE quite often. Sometimes you just can't write a simple and polite reply to keep everyone happy, sometimes something hits you SO HARD that you just have to say screw it and purge what you have screaming around in your soul so that you can take a deep breath and continue being a human being.

PinkyCat
April 10th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I have a question:
Do you think it would have been less uncomfortable for the other woman if the TSA doing the patting was black? Or do you think it wouldn't have mattered because her hair was messed up anyway?

MinderMutsig
April 10th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I have a question:
Do you think it would have been less uncomfortable for the other woman if the TSA doing the patting was black? Or do you think it wouldn't have mattered because her hair was messed up anyway? I guess that depends on why she was upset by the pat down. Was is a racism thing? Was it a curly thing? Was it about her own sensitivities totally unrelated to anything? I don't think anyone but that lady can answer this one. :)

Bedhead
April 10th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Although I haven't heard about this happening since the 80's, I'm sure this happens more often than you think. And yes, they're mostly looking for drugs.

Besides, look at you Ultrabella, you so look like the perfect drug smuggler - all innocent and friendly looking. Who would suspect you? ;)

ETA: The only time I was patted down, the woman said she had to choose random people, and said she chose me because I looked "nice".

As for the other woman. I totally get it. When I let my curl go, and when I had short hair, I hated people touching my hair, because if it's not touched in a certain way, all hell breaks loose.

ETA2: On top of that, maybe she's been questioned or even harassed in this sort of way numerous times in her life, and she's just tired of it?

ETA3: I just read Unicorn's post, and Unicorn, I think you were just being real.

ravenheather
April 10th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Unicorn: Thank you for sharing your experience and your pain. Thank you for showing us a possible alternative reason for the other woman's reaction. I don't think your answer was rude. I think it was harsh, but so were your experiences. Thank you for your honesty.

ladyfey
April 10th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Thank you carolinaberry! Couldn't agree more, and very well said.

VikingVampChick
April 10th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Unicorn: Thank you for sharing your experience and your pain. Thank you for showing us a possible alternative reason for the other woman's reaction. I don't think your answer was rude. I think it was harsh, but so were your experiences. Thank you for your honesty.

What she said. Thank You for letting us hear your side of things. :flower: :hugs:

pepperminttea
April 10th, 2012, 08:19 AM

Agreed. :grouphug:

noelgirl
April 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I got the hair pat-down at Newark over the holidays - my hair was in a curly peacock twist, although my hair's a little long for a peacock twist so it was more like this erupting fountain of curls. The TSA just reached in, grabbed the clip, shook it, and let me go. Obviously when I did my hair that morning, I wasn't thinking through that I'd be going through security later in the day!

longcurlygirl<3
April 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM

I kind of find it rude actually, why don't they pat down a shorter hairstyle? No duh if a bun is huge someone has either really long hair or volume. I find it unnecessary :/ I'd be bothered to be honest, because it is embarrassing as well.

teela1978
April 10th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm not from the US and I've never flown to or within the US but I do frequent American and international hair boards, including here and Naturally Curly.

I almost never hear someone who got a hair pat down by TSA. Most of the times I do hear people say they got a hair pat down, the person who experienced that is African-American and wearing their hair naturally curly. A significantly smaller part of those people had some sort of headcovering and every single time I hear a white woman say she got checked they also mention the one other black woman or covered woman who got checked.

Perhaps white women get checked all the time but they don't think it's a problem so they never mention it on hair forums. That's possible. But like I said, I'm a cynic. I really can't see a coincidence here.

It also makes no sense from a practical standpoint to only pat down the outside of a bun but rummage through an entire afro. A bun is dense, there could be all kinds of things in there. An afro is light and fluffy and it would be VERY hard to conceal stuff in there without it falling out. Patting down a bun from the outside tells you nothing about what is on the inside. It makes no sense.

I've never seen anyone else get their hair checked. So not all white woman hair-checks are accompanied by black woman hair checks.

kamikaze hair
April 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Unicorn: thanks for sharing your experiences, I completely understand where you are coming from.

Well ALMOST everytime I've been to the airport I get pulled aside. And it doesn't matter what group I'm with, whether it was a school thing, with my family (some of who look nothing like me) or friends and yet I still get pulled out and scanned or/and searched. I think sometimes it is about racism, BUT I can only speak of my own experiences, which I feel secure in saying it could very well be a racism thing. :magic: (I just felt like adding this smiley cause its nice)

Oddly enough though I've never had a "hair pat down", which kind of doesn't make sense, If they've already decided to pull me aside anyway. I guess maybe when I reach classic length, with a full hemline I might be able to achieve a "hair a potential threat to national security pat down" thing... :D

bubblyredhead
April 10th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I would say yay! pat me down because my hair is so kick-@$$ that it is in fact a threat to national security.

moxamoll
April 10th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I've had my baggage and luggage inspected. I have learned not to lock my suitcase. If they can't unlock it and you checked it, they will slice it open. Expensive problem.
*snip*
I've flown into/through the US a couple of times now with the TSA approved locks and never had a problem. I get my bags, they are still locked and they either have the little "we looked at your stuff" slip of paper or they've just obviously been rummaged through. Those locks aren't meant to stop a professional thief anyway, just cut down on random browsing...

Flying into the US on my last trip, I wore two braids. They didn't pat them down, but they did pick up the tail and run the wand down each one. He asked first though and was happy to change his gloves first. I was braced for all kinds of unpleasantness at security actually and was pleasantly surprised because they were polite and efficient - a few of them even cracked jokes! I expect they were severely reprimanded later, but I appreciated it.

ratgirldjh
April 10th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I'm feeling jealous!

This makes me wish I had a big mass of puffy, curly hair that I could hide a dildo in it and see what they would do when they found it! lol Or easter eggs... lol ;)

- of course i wish i had a big mass of curly, puffy hair anyway - my hair wouldn't hide anything :(

heidi w.
April 10th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Bwaaahahhahahahahahaha. That's one way of looking at it, I s'pose!!

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 10th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Very interesting! I hadn't even thought of them needing to pat down your hair. I would take it as a compliment! LOL.

I've had the external patting of the bun with no request to take it down too. I always thought that non-information. One can tuck a number of things in hair, and patting the hair won't reveal the evidence of its existence by merely patting the hair down.

Of course, I have never hid anything in my hair except MORE HAIR!!

heidi w.

annamoonfairy
April 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Never had it happen to me but now I wonder if hair toys like hair sticks can get through security if you have your hair up.

heidi w.
April 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I have lived it.

I had the insults.

I was petted like a dog by strangers.

I was treated like a piece of exotica.

I was treated like some oddity.

I saw the pulled faces after they removed their hands.

I heard the discussions they had about it when they thought I wasn't listening.

Adults and children.

The last time I had a stranger satisfy their curiosity about what 'black hair feels like', without my permission and quite roughly was about two year ago. A damn grown man grabbed my hair as I walked past him, swished it examined it. I object to white people grabbing my hair in their vile ignorance.

Assumed rasicm can be annoying. Actual racism leads regularly to assult, death, rape etc. - I know which I think is worse.

When you see your family take a beating because they're black.

When you are told (to your face) you will never get your promotion because you are black when you are called n%$^r on a regular basis.

When you watch your father weep at the humiliation he has to swallow to feed his children,

Unicorn

WOW. This is terrible. I am truly sorry that all this happened to you and your family. I wouldn't stand for it. But then I have the privilege of being white. I have known of these conditions that still occur in other countries than the US and still occur in some areas of the US. It's plain ugly and bares he underbelly of what a human being is. I hope things have changed and improved. Over my lifetime, the whole issue of feminism and women's rights has changed a fair amount. I was watching an old movie last night and the woman was being manhandled flat out on her boob in a police station in the movie. That just wouldn't occur anymore in film, but other things do occur.

Did you know that Chris Rock did a movie about Black hair which I've really wanted to see. Some on LHC have seen it and reported about it. He came to the movie because of statements his daughter would make, and he became curious and confused about what she was being told as it didn't make a whole lot of sense to him.

Hair should, in my opinion, simply be enjoyed and all types acceptable. I think a beautiful Afro is glorious, and somewhat hard to achieve, in fact. I also am aware of its meaning of why it even came in to being. There was a reason it was adopted at a certain point in history.

I hope that your hair is doing well and no one's poking at it or you, and hopefully things have improved for you over time. Maybe not perfect, but better. Some progress is better than no progress, one hopes.

Where I currently reside, there's a lot of Racism going on. I don't understand it at all, and yet, I am caught up in it to a degree, although I try hard to stay out of the fray. But we all live where we live. I've never, ever lived in a place like this armpit of a town.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Never had it happen to me but now I wonder if hair toys like hair sticks can get through security if you have your hair up.

I have wooden and metal hairsticks and my wooden sticks have gone through the scanner and made it.

But now I don't have to plan for more time because I'm pulled aside for an inspection of the updo because I take my hair down, and have a system for putting my hair back up really easily and smoothly.

For those who don't know, you are allowed to ask to be in a private room away from where other passengers can see you being patted down, but I don't mind. They have wanded my entire body, gone through carry-on and checked in luggage, searched my hair, whatever. It wasn't til later that I learned that scanners can be set to a detection level, so some cases, it may be that the scanner isn't set to high.

Frankly, now, I never fly. I just can't afford it, and I'm older and like flying less and less...same with travel.

But I've had the entire experience. Repeatedly.

heidi w.

Of the Fae
April 10th, 2012, 11:18 AM
@ Heidi W/ : I've seen the documentary by Chris Rock. It's online, you can watch it on most documentary websites that have a larger collection.
It is a good documentary about African American hair and how it isn't accepted in its natural state, causing tons of women to painfully straighten it with dangerous chemicals and spend thousands of dollars on weaves to get a proper job.
It;s quite confronting.

MandyBeth
April 10th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Hair pat downs at MIA aren't related to the hiding of weapons. It's hiding of drugs. They've patted down my hair in a peacock twist and there isn't much my hair can hide. External patting of bun works as they are feeling for whatever would hold the drugs. A sock bun may be requested to be taken down.

MIA has done hair checks before full body scans. Heck, they did them before 2001.

PinkyCat
April 10th, 2012, 11:38 AM
This subject has me wondering if a Diva Cup might show up on a body scan. Then what? They'd want to see it???

pepperminttea
April 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
This subject has me wondering if a Diva Cup might show up on a body scan. Then what? They'd want to see it???

Oh good god you've now terrified me about what I might have to do if I have to travel on my period! :bigeyes:

JellyBene
April 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Same thing happened to me the other day at the airport. I was wearing a tucked french braid, I suppose I hypothetically could have had a weapon shoved up there so I guess I understand where they were coming from. Then it happened again on my way back home and this time I was wearing a cinnabun... Airport security is insane these days....

julya
April 10th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I've had my bun checked a couple of times, both times my bun was squeezed and prodded a bit. Both times were when I was traveling alone. When I have been traveling with my son I've never been selected to get a hair check. And I have never seen anyone else getting a hair check.

HintOfMint
April 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM

:agape::blueeek::bigeyes:shudder: All I can muster are emoticons. There are no words that express the horror.

Teao_the_cat
April 10th, 2012, 03:35 PM

I'm pretty sure i've flown with mine before and not had any issues, but i'm not sure i've been through the body scanners, mind you...

I doubt it would show up as much different to a tampon though, would it? And they must have thousands of women a day going through with some kind of sanitary product up there...

Unicorn
April 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM
UltraBella,
Florenonite,
Bedhead,
RavenHeather, (I can't disagree with your summary :o)
VikingVampChick,
PepperMintTea,
Kamikaze Hair and Heidi.

Thank you for your understanding. I don't usually post from the gut on LHC. Though I did manage to resist hitting the post button on a further response and logged out to calm down.

snip...sometimes something hits you SO HARD that you just have to say screw it and purge what you have screaming around in your soul so that you can take a deep breath and continue being a human being.
A very apt description - thank you.

@MinderMutsig; I've had the same cynical thought, I've just accepted that sometimes it is racism and sometimes it isn't and there's not a lot to be done. I no longer fly and don't know if I will again.

WOW. This is terrible. I am truly sorry that all this happened to you and your family. I wouldn't stand for it. But then I have the privilege of being white. I have known of these conditions that still occur in other countries than the US and still occur in some areas of the US. It's plain ugly and bares he underbelly of what a human being is. I hope things have changed and improved. Over my lifetime, the whole issue of feminism and women's rights has changed a fair amount. I was watching an old movie last night and the woman was being manhandled flat out on her boob in a police station in the movie. That just wouldn't occur anymore in film, but other things do occur.

Did you know that Chris Rock did a movie about Black hair which I've really wanted to see. Some on LHC have seen it and reported about it. He came to the movie because of statements his daughter would make, and he became curious and confused about what she was being told as it didn't make a whole lot of sense to him.

Hair should, in my opinion, simply be enjoyed and all types acceptable. I think a beautiful Afro is glorious, and somewhat hard to achieve, in fact. I also am aware of its meaning of why it even came in to being. There was a reason it was adopted at a certain point in history.

I hope that your hair is doing well and no one's poking at it or you, and hopefully things have improved for you over time. Maybe not perfect, but better. Some progress is better than no progress, one hopes.

Where I currently reside, there's a lot of Racism going on. I don't understand it at all, and yet, I am caught up in it to a degree, although I try hard to stay out of the fray. But we all live where we live. I've never, ever lived in a place like this armpit of a town.

heidi w.
Unfortunatly as a child there was no choice but to endure to some degree as these casual incidents of racism were many times over the course of the day. (hair being only one of the regulars) There simply wasn't enough hours in the day to tackle all of them. I concentrated on the persistant kids and thumped them when it got too much - it slowed it down each time I thumped someone. :D From an adult... well partly they were waaay to big to battle from a child's standpoint, plus there weren't huge numbers of black people in my part of the town, so it wasn't until adulthood, that I realised that a lot of the hostile treatment I got from adults, was in fact racism. I just thought most adults were truly awful to children and that was the way of the world. There was no historic community to pass on 'how it is', stories as the black adults I knew were all immigrants, so they were on their own learning curve.

Yes, it has got way better, the comparison to sexism is approriate. It's improved, but it is still there and less blatant, for the most part where it does exist. I am stunned when I see the degree of both the sexism and racism in old films.

I have heard of the film Good Hair, and read about it. (and I think...?) contributed to the thread on it here, but I've not actually seen the film - I really must do that. From contact with AAs, it was and still is a much deeper issue for AAs in the States than for those of us of West Indian origin in the UK, but it was/is bad enough here...

I once came across the information that tampons can be seen via these body scans so....... shudder:

Unicorn

Lici1209
April 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Haha, aw, at least she asked! I feel bad when people complain about the TSA. There are some that take it too far, I'll agree with that, but for the most part they're just doing their job. I'd rather be inconvenienced with a 2 minute pat-down than sitting next to some crack-pot with a pocket knife on a 6 hour flight.

I'm with you!

MandyBeth
April 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I have a good friend and sometimes training partner who works for TSA. He is a kind man who is doing his job. Yes, there are jerks. Co workers report them also. Hair is checked if it's not clear on a scan or if it could hide something. I'm as white as white can be. I twist my hair, a scan isn't clear, I get checked. Same reason my doctors don't want my hair in a braid for MRI, the braid can muck up a scan of my head or neck.

I've been checked with 10 others, I've been the only one checked. I just don't think it's worth mentioning because it's just decent people doing their job. Heck, they'll probably check me again when we leave to go to Atlanta and when we come home. It's not offensive to me.

Nevermind the reality that to live day to day, commercial flights are not required. They are a convenience. A very nice one, but not required. Riot over voter suppression, which takes away a basic right and obligation of citizens.

Gladtobemom
April 11th, 2012, 06:22 AM
If you mean me, then simply say so, because I am the only person who has responded to Unicorn so far.

I condone it because it's HERS. It's ugly, it's raw, it's emotional and it's HER truth. She owns it. It's a reflection of hurt and anger that she IS entitled to. Life itself is RUDE quite often. Sometimes you just can't write a simple and polite reply to keep everyone happy, sometimes something hits you SO HARD that you just have to say screw it and purge what you have screaming around in your soul so that you can take a deep breath and continue being a human being.

Bravo!

A VERY adult and aware response. Life is rude, messy, and often stuff pinches a lot.

We can politically correct ourselves in a stupor, or we can trust our friends to understand, support, and protect (yes PROTECT) us. Then help us work our way round to surviving the insanity and being sane ourselves.

sumidha
April 11th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I know this is kind of OT, but all I can think about is stories from my mom about how rough girls at her high school would hide switchblades in their beehives..

senegal
April 11th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I was researching a bit on the subject since I'm planning to fly this summer and I wondered if there are certain hairstyles that trigger a search so I could avoid them. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it after all. I thought this thread on the subject was rather amusing. I bet you thought you'd be safe if you were bald, didn't you?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1333661-hair-pat-down-always-gender-specific.html

humble_knight
April 11th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I bet you thought you'd be safe if you were bald, didn't you?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1333661-hair-pat-down-always-gender-specific.html

Mmm, so they check the skin for traces of explosive residue. I'm really ticklish. If someone touched me on the neck, or behind my ears, I'd jump up and down.....and then probably be shot by them lol

kittensoupnrice
April 12th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Before I started traveling with the toddler, I used to get randomly checked all the time, but I don't recall ever having my hair pat down.

The most irritating encounter was where (pre 9-11), I got stopped along with my mother and sister for a pat down because we didn't remove our shoes to go through the metal detector. We asked the TSA lady if it was okay if we didn't, and she said "sure!" and then pulled all three of us over for body pat downs for "refusing to take off our shoes".

The last time I flew, I think the toddler got a quick pat down the front while I was holding her because her clothing was a bit puffy.

SwordWomanRiona
April 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I've had my hair patted down because of how large my buns are. I don't like people touching me, period. It takes a lot of trust form me in order to allow someone to touch me. I got a bit upset because it violate amy personal space. I hated having my hair touched my security. It has happened twice.

I would feel the same way. They've never touched my hair, though...yet. I don't think I've ever had it in a bun, though.

Once, they took a notebook I was carrying, and actually skimmed through it. I was throroughly puzzled and a bit bugged. They didn't even tell me for what reason they felt entitled to read my personal writings :mad:.

trolleypup
April 12th, 2012, 09:17 AM
In a way, I'd like to be stopped...in the hair is too awesome to be safe way! And my bun style drops out quite satisfactorily...also easily redone.
I routinely walk through the metal detector with a lightweight stainless steel stick holding my bun up. Never been stopped.

Yes, it has got way better, the comparison to sexism is approriate. It's improved, but it is still there and less blatant, for the most part where it does exist.
Bit by bit it is getting better...young people have a broader exposure to the world (yay! internets), and the older most racist people are being laid down in the ground. Not saying that there aren't young racists, but they at least know it is wrong and mostly hide it...unlike the parents or grandparents who are/were right out in public with their attitudes...which gives hope that the next generation simply won't have that day to day indoctrination in racism.

Growing up, in the Deep South, being mixed race (asian/white) I got it from whites and blacks...at least until local churches sponsored a lot of Vietnamese refugees...then it got a lot better faster...but that did nothing for the almost institutionalized racism against blacks.

Today, even in a relatively enlightened city like San Francisco, racism is alive and well and easily and frequently observed if you have your eyes open.

I have a good friend and sometimes training partner who works for TSA. He is a kind man who is doing his job. Yes, there are jerks. Co workers report them also. Hair is checked if it's not clear on a scan or if it could hide something. I'm as white as white can be. I twist my hair, a scan isn't clear, I get checked. Same reason my doctors don't want my hair in a braid for MRI, the braid can muck up a scan of my head or neck.
Like any job, or any unpleasant service sector job where the pay is low and the control and oversight is high, and turnover is high, you get a real mix of people in TSA...presumably, you also get a good number of "wannabee cop" type personalities in those positions (and very likely in supervisory roles)...which sadly fits in with the TSA mission of letting everyone know they are "taking measures".

For what it is worth, I've only been checked when I was flying on one way tickets, and both of those were fairly positive experiences...with some humor and service sector chatting. I guess, even at my scruffiest (wild eyed mountain man, picture on milk carton as the "last seen with...") I don't fit their profiles...which depending on the employee appear to range from pretty random to idiosyncratic personal choice.

Avital88
April 12th, 2012, 09:22 AM
hehe this happend to me 4 times last summer,security here is always very high,for example going in a supermarket requires a check of bags always.. so i guess im used to it..
i think its more for drugssmuggling, i used to had a friend with a big afro ,he always used to put weed in his hair at school bahaha

perkidanman
April 12th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I worked security for a while and I do know that when you search someone, if they have thier hair up you're supposed to run your fingers through it to feel for anything. Doing that after a scan does seem excessive.

heidi w.
April 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Bit by bit it is getting better...young people have a broader exposure to the world (yay! internets), and the older most racist people are being laid down in the ground. Not saying that there aren't young racists, but they at least know it is wrong and mostly hide it...unlike the parents or grandparents who are/were right out in public with their attitudes...which gives hope that the next generation simply won't have that day to day indoctrination in racism.

I want to point something out as it concerns aging. And everyone goes through this, to more or less degrees. Some of those seemingly attitutudes expounded by elderly may in fact be signs of normal brain function being somehow compromised, from dementia, from Alzheimer's, and from other things such as simply the idea that as we become older the brain decays yet the mind continues to grow. This is evidenced by, for example, the loss of easy recall of proper nouns and nouns, but the ability to describe the noun. This is extremely common in older brains. We are all born with inhibitions. They're kind of a way that the brain sort of checks itself, and these can decay with age and allow people to just say stuff that is sort of unchecked. Ever seen an image of an Alzheimer Brain? It is a brain that is completely decayed, the content that makes up brain is entirely gone, just a big hole remains, and that's all there is. No tissue whatsoever in the space. Very sad.

So, yeah, some people just get mouthy as they get older, but there's a bit of a kind of a reason that can apply in a lot of cases, even if we don't know about it, it is likely in play with older people.

But there is racism in the world, I am certain of that. I watch it occur daily where I live.

Then, there's always the elderly who think they're entitled to expound on their ideas and that actually someone really wants to hear it. Those people exist. I find this abhorrent. I had a coworker that was in this belief system. She was just someone that I had to ignore. I couldn't even say good morning to her because she would typically have a nasty response. She was just a krankypoo. She thought the whole world should function as she does. Plus she was very wrapped up in God stuff which in actuality made her highly judgmental and unpleasant to be around. Yeah, they exist too.

heidi w.

Modgonne
April 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Without fail, when I fly through Paris-CDG, my braid gets a pat down. There's always a polite request, and then I get a pat down from a nice wee French lady.

I don't particularly enjoy being touched, but it's really not worth making an objection.

okiesarah
April 23rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Wohoo! I got my bun patted down while traveling back to OK from Florida recently. :) I had it up in two crappy plastic chopsticks in case they wouldn't let me keep them and I walked through the scanner and the nice TSA lady said to the other TSA guy there that I had gorgeous hair, and could she please pat down my bun. :D It was holding like a rock up to that point, and after she was done it was slightly looser, but ok for the rest of the flight home. So I was kind of pleased with my hair compliment.

Carrie Ingalls
April 23rd, 2012, 08:38 PM
I think the next time I fly I will probably get the "hair pat down" and I will be prepared with appropriate hair toys and back up hair toys (in case of confiscation) The last time I flew was in 2007 and I had no one question my hair...but I'm pretty sure I had my hair braided for those flights.

Vanille_
April 23rd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Whenever I fly with my stenograph machine, I get pulled aside. It never fails. I've never been pulled aside for my hair though.

Alun
April 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
<SNIP>

Nevermind the reality that to live day to day, commercial flights are not required. They are a convenience. A very nice one, but not required.

To take a trip back home I have to fly across the Atlantic. The boat takes five weeks instead of seven hours, and you would have to add a zero on the price. Think again if you think flying is not required. Maybe it isn't for you, but for some of us it is impossible to avoid. What about those people who have to travel long distance and internationally on business?

The current choice between being scanned with ionising radiation or groped freaks me out. Actually it's the prospect of being groped by someone of the same gender that bothers me, versus the unknown cancer risk of the scanner. Call it homophobic if you like, but the 'enhanced pat down' is legalised sexual assault. Some would say the same of going through the nudie scanner, but that would bother me less in itself, if only it weren't for the radiation.

I'm not sure that having my hair patted down would bother me all that much by comparison, although as I normally wear it loose it probably won't happen.

My wife hasn't been back home since they started requiring people to take their shoes off, and is rather worried about that requirement. She can't actually walk a step without a shoe on her right foot, and it can take a long while to get that shoe on and off, even when I do it for her, which I often have to. (Hint: she usually just removes her leg instead!)