PDA

View Full Version : Using Food Grade coconut oil?

Ro0m1911
April 9th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Would using coconut oil that you find in the oils and grease section at the store damage your hair? I was looking everywhere for the pure stuff. We don't have a whole foods store nearby. Is there a good website to order coconut oil from? I have only used it once and haven't had a problem so far. I did an overnight treatment with it and washed my hair the next morning. What has been everyone else's experience with it? Sorry for the newbie question. :o

caadam
April 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM
As long as the one ingredient is coconut oil, even refined, then it should be all right! :)

I know it can be tough to get organic, pure coconut oil, but if it's refined and there's no other weird, mysterious ingredients, you should be good to go.

littleizz
April 9th, 2012, 12:52 PM
The coconut oil I use is organic and from Whole Foods, but I still buy it in the food section and it's got cooking instructions on it :) Whether or not it's organic, as long as there are no additives in there, I'd think you should be A-okay :)

Ro0m1911
April 9th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I was hoping it would be okay. I looked at the ingredient list and the only thing there was coconut oil.

caadam
April 9th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I was hoping it would be okay. I looked at the ingredient list and the only thing there was coconut oil.

Then it's fine. I hope your hair will be happy with it. :flower:

Ro0m1911
April 9th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks ladies, you guys are awesome and so helpful.
*Saunters off to go play with the coconut oil :joy:*

heidi w.
April 9th, 2012, 12:57 PM
If you like, you can speak to your local store to see if they'll place a special order for you to have Unrefined Coconut Oil by Spectrum Naturals, which is the CO that I use. I believe you can order it yourself and have it shipped to your home.

Here's a link. This oil is NOT found in the oil or salad dressing section of a store. This particular oil, in a Whole Foods Market is stocked in the Beauty section.

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=205

The Coconut Oil I order....

Or call us at:
1-800-434-4246, Monday-Friday, 7am-5pm Mountain Time

heidi w.

ratgirldjh
April 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM
That is where you find REAL coconut oil! It is much harder to find 100% coconut oil in the 'hair' department and then it is usally not as good of quality and usually not organic either :) Indian stores do carry coconut oil for hair though and it is good too.

IanB
April 9th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Try looking on line for Vatika Coconut Oil, it's widely available from India/Asian stores and on line sites, including Amazon

turtlelover
April 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I use the cheapest stuff from Wal-Mart, and it works fine! :-)

Sillage
April 9th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Food grade coconut oil is usually considered higher quality than cosmetic grade. Your stuff should be absolutely fine.

Sisgoldenhair65
April 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Thank you for the link, Heidi. I don't have a Whole Foods near me and the only coconut oil I can find has petroleum as the first ingredient....yuk! I will order from Spectrum! :)

Sisgoldenhair65
April 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Turtlelover, does your oil have petroleum in it? I couldn't find any pure coconut oil at 2 Walmarts I went to.

Cleopatra18
April 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM
The coconut you have is absolutely fine. I personally use and love parachute coconut oil and vatika. I have tried several brands but these are my favorite.

Amber_Maiden
April 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM
As long as it's virgin coconut oil, I say it's fine!

punkcatknitter
April 9th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Turtlelover, does your oil have petroleum in it? I couldn't find any pure coconut oil at 2 Walmarts I went to.

I'm not her, but the coconut oil I buy is in the food section at our Super Walmart. However, the crappy kind with Petroleum in it I bought first works great spread on my hairline to keep the henna from coloring my forehead orange. :D

PixxieStix
April 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I try to use all food grade oils on my body and in my hair, I use Nutiva's organic extra virgin coconut oil, which can be purchased at Amazon.com. I love it, I use it as an eye cream at night, to remove make up, put it in my body butter, use it to oil my ends, and I'll even refrigerate it and eat it like ice cream while it's cold. Mmmmm yummy! My hair loves the stuff, and it tastes great too.

Link to the website for the small jar, but can be purchased in larger quantities too. (http://www.amazon.com/NUTIVA-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut/dp/B001E8DHPW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1334027969&sr=8-9)

Kinkycurlygurl
April 9th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Would using coconut oil that you find in the oils and grease section at the store damage your hair? I was looking everywhere for the pure stuff. We don't have a whole foods store nearby. Is there a good website to order coconut oil from? I have only used it once and haven't had a problem so far. I did an overnight treatment with it and washed my hair the next morning. What has been everyone else's experience with it? Sorry for the newbie question. :o

I got my last bottle of coconut oil from the grocery store. It works for me.

Ro0m1911
April 10th, 2012, 07:35 AM
When I run out of this one I will probably try spectrum then just order off amazon. Didnt even think to look there.

Melisande
April 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I'm with Cleopatra: Parachute and Vatika are my favorites. Parachute for overnight oilings, deep treatments and ends, and Dabur Vatika after henna and for the scalp.

Nev
April 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'm glad the other LHC-er's have had good results with parachute coconut oil! I just bought it off of ebay, it was like 4 dollars, really cheap. I wouldn't buy any new coconut oil until you use up the one you have. It should all basically work the same anyway.

Ro0m1911
April 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything until I ran out. I don't want my stash to get out of control like it used to be. Especially after reading the one thread about all the products some ladies have. I wouldn't be able to get through it all. So I just have what I need and like to keep it that way.