PDA

View Full Version : Good sleep caps and more?

iSuperHeroic
April 9th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Okay, so I've decided to spend my birthday money on things for my hair.

I plan to buy and Tangle Teezer and Coconut Oil(I use EVOO right now, but I heard Coconut is better).

I want to buy a sleep cap, in the place of a satin pillow case. What are some good, cheap sleep caps?

Is there anything else I should have to care for my hair? It's SDL.

Thank you! :)

Anje
April 9th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I like the Stay On Satin line, honestly. I've used this one and like it, though I think Walgreens sells it cheaper. (http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Satin-Nites-Bonnet-Sleep/dp/B003I5SC72) There are similar ones labeled as having some "anti-breakage conditioner" but I found they're smaller and a bit uncomfortable on my head.

Rhea
April 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I love my "pretty wraps"... :D... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0qg0Z4Rnsc&feature=related

Cleopatra18
April 9th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I have seen on other hair board people having good reviews on the Bonbon cheveux (http://store.bonbonscheveux.com/products)and the ones that anje posted, although I think I saw it for cheaper.
the bonbon cheveux is kind of pricey but so so pretty and they have ones that are plastic lined for overnight deep treatments etc
good luck!

PinkyCat
April 9th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I have seen on other hair board people having good reviews on the Bonbon cheveux (http://store.bonbonscheveux.com/products)and the ones that anje posted, although I think I saw it for cheaper.
the bonbon cheveux is kind of pricey but so so pretty and they have ones that are plastic lined for overnight deep treatments etc
good luck!

Great. Now I'm enabled again. :gobblecheese:

Cleopatra18
April 9th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Great. Now I'm enabled again. :gobblecheese:
lol! I know, right? I would totally get them if I could, too bad I can't order online lol

KAggs
April 9th, 2012, 05:04 PM
When I'm oiling my hair, my first and only cap so far is the Stay On Satin bonnet. It was cheap and it actually stays on my head. It's a lot more comfortable for me compared to this silk scarf I've been using. It's annoying when I find it disheveled and falling off when I wake up in the morning.

CarpeDM
April 9th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I love my "pretty wraps"... :D... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0qg0Z4Rnsc&feature=related

But where do they sell them????? I can't find them anywhere online...

Long_hair_bear
April 9th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I bought my sleep cap at Walmart for $2 and it works fine. :-)

swearnsue
April 9th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I found my satin sleep cap at K-Mart for about $3.50. They come in pretty pastel colors with a little lace edge along the elastic. It stays on surprisingly well. How about a nice wooden comb? Coconut oil is a good choice. Have fun and happy birthday!

iSuperHeroic
April 9th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I bought my sleep cap at Walmart for $2 and it works fine. :-)

Thank you guys! I just bought the Stay On Satin cap!

Does the dye really get everywhere like some of the reviews say?

KAggs
April 9th, 2012, 08:24 PM

Luckily, mine did not stain my cream-colored pillowcase when I put coconut oil in my hair. I saw that too AFTER I used it. I'll probably just put a towel back on my pillow in the future.

jeanniet
April 9th, 2012, 10:22 PM

You mean from the Stay-On caps? I never had any staining from them, and I've had lots of them because I like to have spares. Never had any bleeding from them in the wash, either.

sfgirl
April 10th, 2012, 01:02 AM
I think EVOO is nice when you want to mix in some essential oils, because coconut oil is solid. I mix mine with coconut oil, but I'm about to buy some EVOO for it.
I love jasmine, sandalwood, and vanilla EO, though I'm out of most.. I've been thinking about getting honey. The fun thing is you can use them as a light perfume too! I'm going to stock up around my Bday!
Also, since you have straight hair, a BBB is nice for polishing.

arabicfrizz
April 10th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I too have the Stay On Satin cap, and it's the first of its kind I've owned. It's comfortable, stays on well, and was inexpensively picked up at my local Sally's. :)

Littlewing13
April 10th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Theres a site called prettyantoinettes I think. Do silk everything. reasonable price. I got a silk pillowcase & its great quality & got a lavender sachet too which was a nice touch. They sell sleep caps too.

PinkyCat
April 10th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I used an old one that I had hanging around last night - it stayed on all night no problem - but this morning I had a nice dent across my forehead where the elastic was - and it stayed there for quite awhile. Can anyone suggest a bonnet that does not leave that forehead dent?

Anje
April 10th, 2012, 08:18 AM

I've never had the stain get on pillowcases, but you definitely do get some black dye out the first time or two that you wash it. But then, that happens with most dark or brightly colored clothes, too.

longcurlygirl<3
April 10th, 2012, 09:04 AM
My hair won't fit in my sleeping cap anymore so I went to a thrift store and looked for silk/satin fabrics of clothes and I came across a cute 100% silk knee length skirt. It was to tight on my but it was cheap and I cut it up at home and now I lay it on top of my pillowcase too protect my hair since it is long and wide enough to cover above the pillow touching the mattress.

+1 ON THE WOODEN COMB! I love mine from the body shop for like $7.

I have seen the pretty wraps online and cheap for like $12 during christmas. I might invest in one :D

longcurlygirl<3
April 10th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I used an old one that I had hanging around last night - it stayed on all night no problem - but this morning I had a nice dent across my forehead where the elastic was - and it stayed there for quite awhile. Can anyone suggest a bonnet that does not leave that forehead dent?

That's a big problem because most do :( try getting a pretty wrap I hear they are more comfortable (but more $$) and no dents so I've heard.

longcurlygirl<3
April 10th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Theres a site called prettyantoinettes I think. Do silk everything. reasonable price. I got a silk pillowcase & its great quality & got a lavender sachet too which was a nice touch. They sell sleep caps too.

Oh how I really want one :( I might try making my own instead since I need a huge one to just stuff my hair up

Cleopatra18
April 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
BTW I'm not sure the tangle teaser is a good idea. I know many folks who love theirs but I have also seen alot of posts about it causing long term damage. I think a wooden comb is a better idea. I also have the wooden comb from the body shop and it's okay. I don't use combs that often anymore but when I do, it's pretty good.

PinkyCat
April 12th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I just ordered a BonBon Cheveaux bonnet. The hot pink zebra one - cotton candy I think? My DF giggles at me when I wear my other one - I'm not expecting him to go "oh baby" over this one, but maye it will feel sexier because, well, its hot pink zebra...:p