PDA

View Full Version : a place.. only to talk about hair? :P

longcurlygirl<3
April 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Hello all,

So my dad comes behind me to ask what I was doing. I said on LHC, he's all like :confused: and I laugh at him and he just asks: "Is it only to talk about hair?" I didn't want to explain about the other boards so I am like yes it is. He just shakes his head saying it has become an obsession and what has the world come to hahah

I had to share my story, have any of you had similar where a close one or person looked at you mad because of LHC?

barely.there
April 9th, 2012, 08:48 AM
haha thats funny.

My hubby has his own forum that he frequents, and I have LHC. We got groupies. lol.

longcurlygirl<3
April 9th, 2012, 08:54 AM
lol see I knew I wasn't the only one! My dad just can't believe there is a place to talk about hair (since no one wants to hear me at home!) and people with longer hair than mines!

swearnsue
April 9th, 2012, 09:04 AM
My husband thinks about hair, Shampoo Rinse Repeat. What else is there to know? But he likes that I'm growing my hair out from a shaved head so he is supportive. He has all his fishing and gun websites and who knows what else he turns off real quick when I walk in! LOL.

pepperminttea
April 9th, 2012, 09:16 AM
My Dad thinks I'm mad if I mention hair forums. :p Funnily enough he shuts up when I point out he's played over 18k games of Solitaire on his computer.

GRU
April 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM
My kid likes my avatar here.... but he looked at me kinda weird when I explained that some lady I'd never met before made it for me because I'm an odd kind of "hair-superheroine" in this pretend land that we live in! :lol:

barely.there
April 9th, 2012, 09:21 AM
My husband actually has long hair too. its about BSL since I cut off 6 inches from it last week. So he and I talk about hair care sometimes :) although he isnt as crazy in depth about it as I am ;D

Guenever
April 9th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Yes and no..

The odd facial expression has been pretty standard whenever someone has caught me on here..

Luckily DBF thinks this place is awesome - Honestly, he loves sneaking a peek at the forums when I'm browsing :lol: he's a BIG fan of long hair and finds my obsession cute, lol! Not that he's ever gonna grow long hair himself.... he thought I was joking the first time he saw me with a bottle of ACV in the bathroom, but I think he's becoming immune!

The rest of my family has always found it a bit strange :rolleyes: - I was still living at home when I joined this place..
So now, I don't check the boards when I'm at my parents' house.. the jokes would never stop!

Vallena
April 9th, 2012, 09:26 AM
My husband just kinda shook his head at me, but we both have our oddities, and he's used to it now. I wish he wouldn't cut his hair so short, but so far, no such luck!

Hollyfire3
April 9th, 2012, 09:43 AM
My family thinks I'm kinda crazy when i talk about my hair, they don't understand what changes about it, what is good for it, how it all works, i get weird looks and remarks at making potion things for my hair, especially when they don't work....then, forget it! They hate hearing about my hair, they actually ignore me now when i talk about it, I love them, but they just don't share this obsession, my SO LOVES my long hair, he listens most of the time, but the rest of the family both in the house and around us, they just don't get it, they rremark it looks ok or a bit longer, but they don't share the joys or dissapointment with me.

kamikaze hair
April 9th, 2012, 09:45 AM
My kid likes my avatar here.... but he looked at me kinda weird when I explained that some lady I'd never met before made it for me because I'm an odd kind of "hair-superheroine" in this pretend land that we live in! :lol:

LOL!!! oh god this made me laugh so hard! Yeah I think the first month my family would look at me weird and thought I'd joined some kind of cult, but now they're so used to it, they just calmly tell me to shut up if I'm boring them about the LHC. My friends though think its funny, and useful that I know have access to LOADS of information about hair. :)

lidapida
April 9th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Definitely, my father thinks this is hilarious, especially because I'm the opposite of vain in all other areas :)) Oh hair, my love

leslissocool
April 9th, 2012, 10:37 AM
DH thinks it's the finniest thing in the world! He tells everyone about it :o.

BrightEyes
April 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Oh yes. When I first joined my DH thought I was a little crazy for joining a place about hair, specifically long hair (and because the fact that ever since we met I've been trying to grow my hair long but have never made it anywhere near APL:rolleyes:).

Now, 2 years later, he's come to accept the fact that yes I am addicted:p To his credit, he doesn't roll his eyes and make sarcastic "crack-head" comments anymore. We've actually had some interesting conversations spurred on by something I read at the LHC, where we've both come away closer or educated about the other person. So I say me joining LHC has been beneficial to our marriage (don't tell him I said that).

SpinDance
April 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Hmmm, "looked at you mad because of LHC" No, looked at me like I'm mad, yes! lol Can't imagine why, but that's happened for years. The ones who know either sort of roll their eyes or are so used to such things they don't even react, or they are unsuspecting folk who ask me questions that lead to me saying, 'go check out www.longhaircommunity.com'. Spread the wealth.

caadam
April 9th, 2012, 12:13 PM
My mother doesn't mind and can understand the idea of a hair forum, but I've not told my father. I think he would probably find it strange and become overly critical about it. lol Without any real understanding of the site, of course. :rolleyes:

I've also mentioned it to a couple of friends, but I tend to not tell everyone about it. I know a lot of my friends wouldn't understand, and some of them are very stuck in their ways, so I don't bother most of the time. Patience, I say. Patience. ;)

Also! The other day, I was talking to some friends in a Facebook group (we like to spam updates like we're talking in a chatroom lol), and these other girls came in to troll the place. We knew it would happen, but these girls were very desperate to the point where they actually started picking on people's hair in their Facebook pictures.

One of my friends said, "Careful—Candie is a hair wizard!" Candie is me. :D

And one of the girls said, "Well, I'm a hair stylist and I only wash my hair with lemon and eggs! It's natural and the BEST for your hair. Shampoo and conditioner makes hair dead!"

I said, "... Hair is already dead. NEXT" And my comment got spammed with about twenty likes. lol The girl was like, "You know what I mean."

I said, "I do, but you're still wrong. You're generalizing hair types, which is a penalty on your part as a hair stylist. You should know better than to say everyone must use the same washing method for their hair. Shampoo and conditioner are not bad; you just have to use them wisely and see if they're going to work specifically for you. And if they don't, there are way more methods than using eggs and lemon juice. You do know that, right?" Again, got spammed with likes.

She went silent after that. First time I actually silenced a troll. lol :cheese:

longcurlygirl<3
April 9th, 2012, 12:18 PM
haha some funny stories! My parents have been used to me talking about hairs, products, toys for over 4 years! They just never thought there are people just like me though hehe :)

come on anymore comments, stories?

shutterpillar
April 9th, 2012, 12:21 PM
My husband has been surprisingly tolerant of my hair adventures. He will help me look for shampoos and different items I need. We actually spent about 2 hours in target just the other day going through shampoos/conditioners and reading their ingredients list to make sure I got one that had (and didn't have) everything I needed in it. AND he picked me out a great brush the other day! lol.

I dont talk much about it with family. If the topic comes up, then I will. But that's about the only time.

longcurlygirl<3
April 9th, 2012, 12:24 PM
My husband has been surprisingly tolerant of my hair adventures. He will help me look for shampoos and different items I need. We actually spent about 2 hours in target just the other day going through shampoos/conditioners and reading their ingredients list to make sure I got one that had (and didn't have) everything I needed in it. AND he picked me out a great brush the other day! lol.

I dont talk much about it with family. If the topic comes up, then I will. But that's about the only time.

My mom helps me as well, but she wouldn't stay with me for 2 hours. awww he is such a good husband!

Same with my family or I just curious of what they are doing to their hair I talk :D

Unofficial_Rose
April 9th, 2012, 12:30 PM
LHC is an entire subculture in its own right.

caadam
April 9th, 2012, 12:33 PM

Word. I agree.

WaitingSoLong
April 9th, 2012, 12:34 PM

DITTO.

Dh is interested and understanding and we talk about stuff on TLHC all the time. He will even say "hey, you should ask the people on your hair forum" (he knows there are OT forums here) and of course he went with me to the long hair meet I attended last year. He helps me measure if I want and has even braided my hair a time or two.

I don't talk about TLHC with anyone else. I get too many strange looks. And I only talk about hair if someone else brings up the topic, but then it is hard to retrain myself. Most the time I get the "ok...sorry I asked" raised eyebrow look. Other times not. I have been asked for advice before because my hair is long AND healthy and people don't understand how it is possible.

I have recommended TLHC to maybe a 2 or 3 people before, but they always act like they are not interested. Whatever, they are the ones who asked ME for advice.

WaitingSoLong
April 9th, 2012, 12:41 PM

It is. Somehow.

What I don't get are the weird looks, I mean, EVERYONE has hair, and those that don't still have an interest in it. If not for length than for colors or styles or perms or whatever.

And that "I mean, how much can you really say about HAIR" comment is totally hypocritical. People spend far more time discussing pointless crap than something useful like hair care. Like sports teams or games. (ducking.....running...):scared::run:

:DSeriously, though, like who was wearing what and when and what she said puhLEASE. Or TV shows. I mean, at least my hair is in reality and tangible.

Of all the forums one can be on, hair is so benign. I don't see why we get the crazy look and yet I still feel the need to hide it like it is wrong?

TLHC is my dirty little secret. :p

holothuroidea
April 9th, 2012, 12:45 PM
DH veiws LHC as my own personal alternative to television (since we don't watch anymore). He's pretty much right.

WaterMusic
April 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Haha, SO refers to "your hair people." A new toy comes in the mail, he says, "Oh, are you going to go tell your hair people about that?"

GeoJ
April 9th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Sometimes my DH "looks at me mad" for being on LHC. Mostly when I have other things to do, then he thinks I'm wasting my time. Sometimes he doesn't mind, and sometimes he asks me to ask people questions on here.

I've told my mom and sister about LHC, and they think it sounds interesting, but I don't think they have ever checked it out. My dad has no interest in any form. I've never told anyone else, I think.

HintOfMint
April 9th, 2012, 02:04 PM
My dad's pretty tolerant of weirdness and the little things we do to comfort ourselves, so he gets it.

I was stressed out over receiving grades last semester and he asked me, "what can you think about to take your mind off of stress? What comforts you?" and I replied, "My hair."

Strange how that works.

GRU
April 9th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Well, you know, we are "vaguely creepy"! :lol:

jacqueline101
April 9th, 2012, 02:48 PM
That's funny I've never told my man about this site.

Amber_Maiden
April 9th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Yep, DH thinks I'm nuts. I compare it to his D&D obsession.

dwell_in_safety
April 9th, 2012, 04:32 PM
My SO thinks I am crazy for this. lol. We both have our own little obsessions; this is one of mine.

Carissamarie08
April 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM
My ex boyfriend thought I was dumb for getting on here

Rumpel
April 9th, 2012, 05:28 PM
These stories are cracking me up! My family thinks it's weird, but they're not too bad. Dear brother likes to sing, "You're So Vain," whenever he sees the LHC up on my computer screen, which he then follows by asking what "Little Itt" has gleaned from the "Master Itts" today. My dad just calls me "Hair brain."

PixxieStix
April 9th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I have some IRL people who know about my hair goals and are supportive, and some that look at me like I'm crazy, and have even had the "How can you possibly want your hair that long?!" comments. I let them fall off my shoulder and smile on. My fiance is very supportive and loves my hair, so he's happy with as long as it gets. He knows about my obsessive tendencies,so he knew what he was getting into. I mention this place to him frequently, and one other close friend, but there are a couple people who I don't know if I'll ever mention it to because of how I imagine them reacting based on past experience.

Overall though, I try to spread the love. :D

elbow chic
April 9th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I'm always relating things that "the hair chicks" said to my husband. Like, "Oh, a bunch of them over there hating on Pantene again. Whatever, they can keep their organic Indian herb stuff." or "omg, the hair chicks are talking about religion and gay people again."

So... I think he knows we talk about things that are not hair-related.

And I mean "chicks" in a totally gender-neutral sense, of course.

EdG
April 9th, 2012, 07:08 PM
And I mean "chicks" in a totally gender-neutral sense, of course.I appreciate that. :flowers:

CountessDeJager once observed that we come to LHC to get our "hair culture".

One can't find hair culture anywhere else. :)
Ed

Xandergrammy
April 9th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I don't share with many people my devotion to LHC, but my most precious loved ones know about it and accept it. My dear DH takes all my hair pictures and is one of my chief enablers regarding products and hair toys.

Tigermama
April 9th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Yes and No. Usually I find many people just as obsessed, but secretly.

PurplePenguin
April 9th, 2012, 09:14 PM
My SO is warming up to LHC. He thought I was obsessed and a little crazy at first. Now I get on here and start reading him things that I think would be interesting to him or that he would find funny. I have gotten him to use condition and I have even convinced him to let me experiment with his hair...to a point. I'm not allowed to do anything that would cause curls (which I don't think I would be able to anyways, he is a 1a) and no changing the color (like I would want to - he has beautiful naturally blond hair). Then again his hair is longer than mine, he is already past his shoulders - so far he wants to stop at mid back but I think when he gets there he will want longer. Other people in my life...I have told my moms about it a few times, I don't think she understands really but hey. I do have one friend I recommended the site to because she wants to grow out her hair but I'm not sure she did more than just look at it. I think she doesn't realize that a lot of the info on here is for all types of hair including hers.

Dragon Faery
April 9th, 2012, 09:25 PM
My DH thinks it's a bit cute sometimes, but he understands. He'll say, "Are you on your hair forum again?" And kind of grin. But he knows my hair is important to me, and he let's me tell him ad nauseam about discussions on here. He knows I don't have anyone else IRL to talk to about it.

My mom thinks it's vain and unnecessary, and gets quiet or otherwise disapproving if I mention it. So I try not to around her.

Other than that I try not to mention it much, except to a few friends here and there who have an interest in hair care.

HumanBean
April 9th, 2012, 10:59 PM
My DH understands. I've been on other forums throughout the years depending on my current obsession at the time (trying to conceive, breast feeding/pumping), so he's used to me needing a community during those times for support and information.

I don't tell other people. I might mention a discussion on "this forum that I'm on" but usually it's about something off topic.

I did switch my 8 year old son to a CO routine as his hair is prone to being dry and frizzy, and DH did remark about how much more manageable it's become of late, so I know he knows it's not totally about my personal vanity.

Quixii
April 9th, 2012, 11:25 PM
My parents were a little confused when I started frequenting LHC, and a little more confused when I started the hair experiments inspired by LHC. Every now and then, I'll mention something (not even necessarily relating to hair), "And I read on LHC..." They've kinda just accepted it. :p

sycamoreboutiqu
April 9th, 2012, 11:28 PM
>>>hair-superheroine<< GRU that is too cute. Your kids probably think you secretly fly around the city at night fighting crime.

GRU
April 10th, 2012, 12:20 AM
>>>hair-superheroine<< GRU that is too cute. Your kids probably think you secretly fly around the city at night fighting crime.

Well, what do you think the cape is for, if not swooping in to stop inhumanities like blow-frying and straight-ironing? :wigtongue

sfgirl
April 10th, 2012, 12:25 AM
My mom is supportive of whatever I do with my hair, as long as it looks healthy and it doesn't look ratty (I used to have a bad habit of letting my ends just get horrible!)My BF hates short hair, but as long as it's SL he doesn't care, and as long as it's blonde!
LHC is my dirty little secret though. ;)

Littlewing13
April 10th, 2012, 05:16 AM
I used to be a hairdresser so talking about hair is standard for me. but DBF thinks im just slightly obsessive. But then he draws up charts to see which of the dragonvale (iphone game) dragons make the most coins. So yeah...

SpinDance
April 10th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Yep, DH thinks I'm nuts. I compare it to his D&D obsession.

Too funny! Just tell him figuring out what works for each person is rolling a d100 for each possibility then dodging wandering monsters for months. ;)