PDA

View Full Version : Does Hair Need Added Protein?

liseling
July 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I've never done a protein treatment or knowingly put anything in my hair that had protein in it, but I've noticed around here that a lot of us speak about it as if it's really really important that their hair gets added protein (either regularly or to fix some mistake that they've made with their hair).

So what's the deal with protein? What does it do - fill in gaps in the cuticle or something? Make hair shinier? How do you know if your hair needs protein, and is it possible that it has enough already without these added things?

Also, are there any protein treatments that one can make at home? If I try this I dont really want to start buying a product especially for protein (I'm trying to be a minimalist in order to counter my tendencies toward being a product junkie! :rolleyes:)

Igor
July 25th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hair consists mainly of a protein called keratin- the same that is the main part of nails as well. Although you can never add the same structural protein again with a treatment, you can repair some of the damage. Protein also increases elasticity of hair so it can withstand damage better instead of snapping when pulled. Too much protein added can result in completely unmanageable and crunchy hair though

liseling
July 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM
So when people add protein to their hair it's Keratin that they're adding? Or is there some other type that they add?

tomm
July 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Here are two articles from the site thebeautybrains.com that explain the role of proteins in hair care products. I found them very informative.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/01/do-i-really-need-to-put-protein-on-my-hair/

http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/01/11/the-truth-about-silk-and-cashmere-proteins/

I hope this helps.

Ohio Sky
July 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks for posting those links, Tomm! I've never seen that site before and now I'm finding all kinds of cool articles!

liseling
July 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
thanks Tomm, I think that gives me quite a bit of useful information. So basically, I get the idea that hair doesnt generally need protein to be added to it, and that in products that contain protein, it doesnt really 'stick' to the hair cuticle anyway.

sipnsun
July 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Redkin makes a product called CAT that is a great protein treatment. I think it's only sold in salons; don't use it too often, if you do your hair will get very dry and crunchy. I use it about once a week, but I have a lot of damage on my ends. Someone told me they saw it for sale in a Whole Foods grocery store, but I haven't checked it out.

sipnsun
July 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Sorry, I misspelled Redken. The CAT is in the Extreme line of products.

vidgrl007
July 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I'm probably the only one to buy and pour a beer my head once a week:D.

Anje
July 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I think some people do get great benefits from treating with protein, contrary to the Beauty Brains article. Protein, in the form of protein treatments, eggs, etc, can give hair some extra strength, particularly if it's become depleted of protein and porous through wear and chemical treatments such as relaxing.

Black Beauty Forums has a great article on determining whether hair needs additional moisture or protein. (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html)

Oh, also worth noting is that if your hair gets more protein than it likes, it will get rather nasty until the effects wear off. Increased tangles and "crunchiness" that survive clarifying are primary symptoms, and repeated moisture treatments without protein seem to be the best way I've found to hurry my hair back to normal.

Pegasus Marsters
July 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
It's extra helpful on damaged, dyed or bleached hair. When my hair was bleached the only thing that made it manageable was a deep treatment with eggs in it.

Golden21
July 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm probably wrong, but doesn't Pantene have protein?

liseling
July 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I've never tried the eggs thing, although I've heard of it. So how do you know if you need to put more protein in your hair?

Riot Crrl
July 26th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Get a shed hair. I think it's supposed to be done wet, but sometimes it's hard to hold it with water and conditioner on the hair and my hands, lol.

Stretch it.

Breaks right away without stretching much or at all: needs moisture
Stretches 20-30% of its length, then returns to something close to its original length when let go: perfect
Stretches and stretches more than 30%, and/or does not shrink back when let go: needs protein

I've been using this quite successfully to manage my protein/moisture balance. After a moisture deep treatment or damp oiling, I can see the difference right away in how much it stretches.

EvaSimone
July 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Get a shed hair. I think it's supposed to be done wet, but sometimes it's hard to hold it with water and conditioner on the hair and my hands, lol.

Stretch it.

Breaks right away without stretching much or at all: needs moisture
Stretches 20-30% of its length, then returns to something close to its original length when let go: perfect
Stretches and stretches more than 30%, and/or does not shrink back when let go: needs protein

I've been using this quite successfully to manage my protein/moisture balance. After a moisture deep treatment or damp oiling, I can see the difference right away in how much it stretches.

I second RiotCrrl's suggestion also I'd like to add that you should check your hair before you do any treatment. Your hair might already be fine with the amount of protein it has in it; one time I did an egg mask and my hair wasn't the same for probably an entire month. That was when I realized that my hair didn't want or need any added protein. So I would suggest trying RiotCrrls test heartily before doing any protein treatment!!