PDA

View Full Version : Those darn baby hairs at the bottom back of the scalp.

barely.there
April 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Whats with those guys?? They get the worst of the damage from rubbing on our clothing all the time. They are full of split and broken ends and when you are ASL or even BSL they aren't long enough to reach and trim accordingly for S&D and it strains your eyes trying to accomplish this task.

Any suggestions on how to manage these babies until they grow out longer??

auburntressed
April 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
No idea. My hair is past waist, but the baby hairs back there never grow. Can't do a darn thing with 'em.

Anlbe
April 9th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I have no idea how to handle this area myself, but it's one of the things that's stopping my hair getting longer so I will watch this thread with great interest.

Jesabel
April 9th, 2012, 08:13 AM
My nape hairs have started to grow and a lot more of them now fit into my hairstyles. I think it because when I oil my ends, I also oil the underneath of my hair to get these little ones too to protect them, and I always condition them too :)

barely.there
April 9th, 2012, 08:32 AM
My nape hairs have started to grow and a lot more of them now fit into my hairstyles. I think it because when I oil my ends, I also oil the underneath of my hair to get these little ones too to protect them, and I always condition them too :)

Good idea. Lately I have been flipping my hair upside down to BBB the underside of my head. Hopefully the bristles will also encourage new growth there :)

swearnsue
April 9th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I've been massaging castor oil mixture into my nape and sideburn hairs to help them grow and thicken. It is working really well on the sideburns but I can't see my nape so can't tell. But the sideburns are long and thick enough now that I can comb them back behind my ears. Before they were just kind of fluffy and icky, but now I can get them up and over my ears and it looks alot neater. I assume the nape is doing the same but its too much trouble to get the mirrors and trifocals just right to see back there!

cfreya
April 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I also have this problem will try to oil them more though , they're soo annoying

GlennaGirl
April 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I have them and I've embraced them. I think they add a cute, carefree touch to updos. But I'm weird that way. :p

GlennaGirl
April 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2656&pictureid=39591) they are...the pic is blurry. But all that bottom part is frizzy, odd baby hair stuff going on.

I think these probably sustain the damage of everything else, if that makes sense. They're what rub against clothing, etc. I just really don't mind them.

barely.there
April 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I have them and I've embraced them. I think they add a cute, carefree touch to updos. But I'm weird that way. :p

Its not that we mind baby hairs falling out of our updo's...its that they are damaged and we want to take care of them. If a damaged baby hair wraps itself around another healthy hair and we comb through, it can mean more damage....the less tangles the better :wigtongue

GlennaGirl
April 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Its not that we mind baby hairs falling out of our updo's...its that they are damaged and we want to take care of them. If a damaged baby hair wraps itself around another healthy hair and we comb through, it can mean more damage....the less tangles the better :wigtongue

Oh, I see. Yes, mine are damaged too. I generally leave them anyway...they don't seem to damage the rest of my hair or anything. They do feel a little yanky-yanky sometimes when I'm getting a wide toothed comb through them but it's not painful or anything.

I'm not saying it's odd to not like them. Trust me, I have my non-negotiables when it comes to my hair. :D Just explaining.

MinderMutsig
April 9th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I gave up on them. The are too fragile, too curly, too frizzy, to split-ridden and just outright annoying and I just remove them. I cut them short, thin the heck out of them with thinning shears so the remaining bits looks natural and won't even try to grow them longer anymore.

It made me a lot happier with my hair and I haven't regretted the decision for a second!

Tealpuffin
April 9th, 2012, 06:48 PM
oh i get so annoyed with this part. especially as they are really curly but significantly shorter than the rest of my hair making them hard to put up x

MissCoco
April 9th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Mine are curly, huge, and puffy at times; I just make sure to regularly trim them and oil them. Sometimes I force them down with a BBB. :whip:

lovinglocks
April 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I always try to baby mine as much as possible and over oil them - they seem to suck up the oil and become dry immediately and then when I sleep at night, if my hair is in a bun I'll pin up the baby hairs with bobby pins. Mine tend to be wirey, tangle, and kind of break. They are my hairs that curl like little piggy tails, so if I don't have to, I won't brush it out.

jacqueline101
April 9th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I have those hairs I have learned to live with them.

Sewas
April 9th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Yes, I like to wear smooth, neat-looking buns but within the hour, those pesky nape hairs have escaped. It would be nice if they were wispy and romantic but no...all coarse and wiry ones for me.