PDA

View Full Version : Forehead Tufts and Hairlines--Am I alone here?

HintOfMint
April 8th, 2012, 11:35 PM
All my life I've had a strange hairline. I have these tufts of baby hairs that extend down my forehead into two tufts that end a little above my eyebrows--like horns almost! They're very very short hairs that get a little longer as you reach my hairline, before blending in with the rest of my normal hair.

Most of the time I'm not really self-conscious of them, but lately I've been a bit down about my low forehead and I'm wondering if getting the little tufts removed would be helpful. Years ago, I bought a home waxing kit and the instructions talked about removing these tufts and I suppose that was the first time I've ever thought about doing something like that.

Anyone do this or something similar? Did you find that it made a difference in your appearance? Or is this something that only the wearer notices?

sfgirl
April 8th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I get little tufts kind of, but they don't bother me.
If you want a permanent solution, maybe get electrolysis? I mean if you've been self consious that long. Rita Hayworth got it back in the day (though it is painful). I've been considering for my slight widow's peak, and because I get acne there, and I always get soap/ astringent/ moisturizer/ makeup stuck on the little bit of hair.

HintOfMint
April 8th, 2012, 11:54 PM
I read that Rita Hayworth did quite the number on her hairline (and bleached the heck out of her skin) which involved actually altering it to look less "ethnic". :eek:

I don't mind the baby hair "horns" on other people since they tend to have normal sized foreheads. I have such a ridiculously low forehead, that I feel that the tufts make it worse. :(

sfgirl
April 9th, 2012, 01:31 AM
I know she dyed her hair, and did her makeup and eyebrows different (because back than you couldn't be famous looking spanish unless it was a spanish movie), but I doubt she bleached her skin. She wasn't that dark to begin with, and makeup/ sunscreen can do wonders, besides that fact that a lot of her movies were in black and white, and her color pictures were retouched.
Maybe try a little gel also?

spidermom
April 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I've got short hairs above my temples; could that be what you're talking about?
It's really not a good idea to find little imperfections to stress about. I'm sure your hair line is fine.

HintOfMint
April 9th, 2012, 09:50 AM
It's really not a good idea to find little imperfections to stress about. I'm sure your hair line is fine.

Something like those, only they're above the middle of my eyebrows! Honestly, I hardly ever stress about them, so they probably aren't truly a big deal. But they are bothering me at the moment and I agree, I shouldn't pick on tiny imperfections. Thanks for giving me a little shake :blossom:

proo
April 9th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Got 'em, high on either temple, but more on the left.
In my case, I like them since my hairline is high.

I read somewhere that perception of beauty depends more on how symmetrical something is
as opposed shape or size.
Are they "balancing" for your face, considering all features?

HintOfMint
April 9th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Got 'em, high on either temple, but more on the left.
In my case, I like them since my hairline is high.

I read somewhere that perception of beauty depends more on how symmetrical something is
as opposed shape or size.
Are they "balancing" for your face, considering all features?

I read that it's not just symmetry but there are other factors. See I have such a low forehead that I feel like it doesn't balance the rest of my features. Everything about my face is round and I would like my face to appear more oval.

This is what my forehead looks like

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7176&pictureid=130466

Am I being nuts here?

Vallena
April 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM

Yes, I have them too. I don't think they are imperfections, just cute baby hairs. Mine always form neat little curls, even though the rest of my hair isn't curly. :D

shutterpillar
April 9th, 2012, 11:26 AM
You are not alone! I have the strangest hairline and is a little further back on one side than the other. I also have the very fine baby hairs all around it, which makes pulling my hair back look ridiculous. I have been experimenting with ways to hide them since I have not been putting anything unnatural on my hair (such as hairspray, gels, mousse, etc).

Lady Neeva
April 9th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have a turf that reaches to my chin and it's sooo annoying. I'm the only one that notices. (used to wear a bobby pin.)

Macaroni
April 9th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I think plucking them might be less painful than a wax.

WaterMusic
April 9th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I have tufts, I have a widow's peak, and I have a weird spot where my hair parts where the hairline extends further back. However, I don't let this stuff get me down. I just tell myself that the rest of my hair is so overwhelmingly awesome that no one will notice. :D

lapushka
April 9th, 2012, 02:19 PM
All my life I've had a strange hairline. I have these tufts of baby hairs that extend down my forehead into two tufts that end a little above my eyebrows--like horns almost! They're very very short hairs that get a little longer as you reach my hairline, before blending in with the rest of my normal hair.

Most of the time I'm not really self-conscious of them, but lately I've been a bit down about my low forehead and I'm wondering if getting the little tufts removed would be helpful. Years ago, I bought a home waxing kit and the instructions talked about removing these tufts and I suppose that was the first time I've ever thought about doing something like that.

Anyone do this or something similar? Did you find that it made a difference in your appearance? Or is this something that only the wearer notices?

I'd stop fretting about those tufts, and learn to live with them. If you think they're bad, just wait until you start waxing them. Lots of upkeep and stubble is going to be even worse.

Unicorn
April 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I don't think you need to worry about them. My sister has those, they are so her, I'd be quite upset if she got rid of them. :( She just wouldn't be her. (ok I know that isn't a good enough reason... :) )

She also has a slightly lower forehead than yours. I don't recall any negative comments about it as we grew up, not from her or anyone else. Mine are lower down my temples and I have a high forehead. (if I had a magic wand I'd lower my forehead, as I don't it's staying :) )

Unicorn

Shona
April 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM

I have this too. The hair at temple on both sides are very very fine baby hair and most is very short, but the long bits always made me hate them because they are so curly, more curly than any other part of my hair. They are like ringletts. It makes them start out so much and they stick up through the rest of my hair. It's been a life-long battle with them!

silverstars
April 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I'll have hair like that during the times I don't have bangs. I would pull them out of updos so that they would seem less severe. They were useful in a way.

AnqeIicDemise
April 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I got the same tufts except low on my neck, right behind my ears. Drives me batty. I want to wax them off but I don't have the money to see someone to do it as its such an awkward place to self-wax.

ceruleanlove
April 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I have tufts, I have a widow's peak, and I have a weird spot where my hair parts where the hairline extends further back. However, I don't let this stuff get me down. I just tell myself that the rest of my hair is so overwhelmingly awesome that no one will notice. :D

:agree: Sounds exactly like my hairline. I love your attitude about it! Me, I normally just scowl at the mirror and move on.