PDA

View Full Version : I told myself I wouldn't...

Pinkster8
April 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I told myself I wouldn't dye my hair again... Buuuuuut a pretty dark brown is calling my name! I'm going in soon (haven't made appointment yet) to get semi-permanent dye put in. I think I've read somewhere on here that semi-permanent doesn't damage hair, but is there anything I can do to minimize the chance?

On an unrelated note, I really need to take some pictures of my hair. I will soon I promise! :p

Kelikea
April 8th, 2012, 05:59 PM
If you are only doing semi or demi-permanent color, why not do it yourself? I used to do Natural Instincts, many years ago, and more recently I've tried the Garnier HerbaShine. I liked both and saw no damage from either. I got my sister a box of the HerbaShine, because it looked like "her color" and she liked it too. The only thing is that is washed out quickly for her as she washes her hair everyday.

Amber_Maiden
April 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I agree with doing it at home- SO MUCH CHEAPER!

Pinkster8
April 8th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I would do it at home, but the last time I dyed it at home, it was to dye it a chestnut brown. It turned out to be jet black, and it would not rinse out no matter what I tried. That was with permanent, but now my mom won't let me use home hair dye, permanent or semi. Also, I know I'm not allergic to my salon's dye and I've always been pleased with the results.

caiti42
April 8th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I'm another that can't justify paying the hairdresser for a semi permanent brown, but I do think that the salon is slighly less damaging than a box dye. In saying that, I'm prefectly happy with Garnier Herbashine as well.

GlennaGirl
April 8th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Pics pics pics! And btw, if you're going darker, you can definitely go to Sally's, get 10 volume peroxide and a color one shade lighter than you're going for (demis come out dark), and go to town, with minimal or no visible/feel-able damage.

Maelyssa
April 8th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I would do it at home, but the last time I dyed it at home, it was to dye it a chestnut brown. It turned out to be jet black, and it would not rinse out no matter what I tried. That was with permanent, but now my mom won't let me use home hair dye, permanent or semi. Also, I know I'm not allergic to my salon's dye and I've always been pleased with the results.

Great reason to use the salon. In my experience semi-permanent hair dye hasn't damaged my hair. Hope you get the look you want without the damage.

Pinkster8
April 9th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the answers, everyone. I will still go to the salon for this; I'm such a klutz I think I would mess up my hair bad doing it at home. Should I do any kind of oil treatment before or after, or just take care of it as normal?

barely.there
April 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I've used Semi-permanent dye a bunch of times, and I can tell you from experience that it fades to red. and yes, I look for brown shades like you do. It has definetly helped strengthen my hair, but still, the red. blegh. see profile pictures for details.

Herbashine and Herbatint are the only ones I've used I think.

I would say just take care of your hair as you normally do. I have never had any manual problems with semi-permanent dyes or shedding from them, ect.

GlennaGirl
April 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM
You know what's best for your hair, pinkster. Good luck and remember...pics or it didn't happen! :p

Pinkster8
April 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I will take pictures! I promise! I can never get a good angle on my hair that shows its true length. So excited for a change! :D

AnqeIicDemise
April 9th, 2012, 05:05 PM
The only reason I go to a salon nowadays is because I only pay tip (I work for a salon). Otherwise I wouldn't dye it anymore. My hair's gotten too long for me to do it alone. Part of the problem is that its thick to boot so I would *hate* to have uneven coverage.

I used to dye my sister's hair for this very reason too. Whenever she dyed it on her own there was always a spot that wasn't properly done. Unfortunately, hubs refuses to help me dye and my bff is like 40 minutes away. :(

Pinkster8
April 9th, 2012, 05:22 PM
The only reason I go to a salon nowadays is because I only pay tip (I work for a salon). Otherwise I wouldn't dye it anymore. My hair's gotten too long for me to do it alone. Part of the problem is that its thick to boot so I would *hate* to have uneven coverage.

I used to dye my sister's hair for this very reason too. Whenever she dyed it on her own there was always a spot that wasn't properly done. Unfortunately, hubs refuses to help me dye and my bff is like 40 minutes away. :(

That's another thing I was worried about - covering all my hair evenly. I'm sure I would miss a spot somewhere and it would look crazy ;) Also, I would need at least two boxes of dye and I would worry about the two mixtures being exactly the same shade.

AnqeIicDemise
April 9th, 2012, 06:02 PM
That's another thing I was worried about - covering all my hair evenly. I'm sure I would miss a spot somewhere and it would look crazy ;) Also, I would need at least two boxes of dye and I would worry about the two mixtures being exactly the same shade.

Or worse, winding up with dye on the floor vs your hair. Last time I touched up the purple, I wound up with a bit of it on the carpet. Thankfully it wasn't permanent and on the bathroom carpet so I just tossed it in the wash.

When I lived in a different city and with my first WA roomie, we dyed her hair a shade redder than her natural color. We had it done promptly and clean.. except for one tiny blob on the floor. I quickly wiped it away and went about letting the color develop before she took a shower.

A little later, we walk into the bathroom and I see a red little blob on the carpet just outside the bathroom.. and another. Turns out her cat had stepped on the undeveloped blob we had found on the floor and tracked two neat little red-colored paw prints into our white carpet. Hilarious!

Pinkster8
April 9th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Haha! That is hilarious! I could imagine something like that happening at my house, with my crazy dogs!

hototogisu
April 10th, 2012, 06:43 AM
What's your base colour? Semi-permanent colours are less damaging than permanent, but they are by no means non-damaging. Be aware that you're committing yourself to getting your regrowth retouched every three to four weeks. Also know that even a low volume developer, such as the developer in a semi, will lift your base colour. This means that as the colour fades, the hair beneath the dye will be lighter than it was at the beginning.

Colouring your hair yourself is really, really simple once you get the technique down and once you use the right tools (ie a tint brush). If you're after a small change, why don't you try a deposit-only dye like Elumen?

Another big plus for colouring at home is you can pre-soak your hair in coconut oil, which makes a big difference in terms of damage.

Pinkster8
April 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
What's your base colour? Semi-permanent colours are less damaging than permanent, but they are by no means non-damaging. Be aware that you're committing yourself to getting your regrowth retouched every three to four weeks. Also know that even a low volume developer, such as the developer in a semi, will lift your base colour. This means that as the colour fades, the hair beneath the dye will be lighter than it was at the beginning.

Colouring your hair yourself is really, really simple once you get the technique down and once you use the right tools (ie a tint brush). If you're after a small change, why don't you try a deposit-only dye like Elumen?

Another big plus for colouring at home is you can pre-soak your hair in coconut oil, which makes a big difference in terms of damage.

My base color is a mousy brown, with some caramel highlights and a few dark areas here and there. I only dyed my hair every 3 months before; regrowth was never a problem as the dye slowly faded to very close to natural by that time. I've never noticed my hair getting any lighter from the semi-permanent, only progressively darker, even with 3 months between sessions.

I would be weary of soaking it in any kind of oil; it seems it would interfere with the dye uptake. Thanks anyway though! :)

hototogisu
April 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Pinkster - if you look at my profile you'll see I was a bottle redhead for over 5 years. I coloured every three weeks, alternating between semis and permanents, and I ALWAYS pre-treated with oil. The oil didn't interfere with the colour at all, and it made a huge difference in condition. There's an article by Ktani somewhere about how coconut oil applied before dyeing can prevent protein loss.

Pinkster8
April 10th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Pinkster - if you look at my profile you'll see I was a bottle redhead for over 5 years. I coloured every three weeks, alternating between semis and permanents, and I ALWAYS pre-treated with oil. The oil didn't interfere with the colour at all, and it made a huge difference in condition. There's an article by Ktani somewhere about how coconut oil applied before dyeing can prevent protein loss.

That is good to know; I'm sure I will have to do it at home someday, especially with college next year :p however I do not want to alarm my stylist; I don't know if she would dye it with extra oil in it... Would it be okay to oil heavily after the fact? Should I use coconut, olive, or mineral? I currently use mineral oil on my ends daily but also have decent luck with coconut and olive.