PDA

View Full Version : Moms.. ;(

longcurlygirl<3
April 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM
My mom is great in supporting me to buy stuff for my hair and if it's at a reasonable price. Once it comes to the internet buying she nags. I was trying to buy some flexis on the swap board, bought a moneypak and because MP askes for your SSN my mom won't give it to me :( She says they are frauds, when really it's the government trying to regulate the security or something.

I am only almost 16 so I have no say and I had to refund my money from Money pak and can no longer get my flexis because she doesn't understand how great hair toys are! Sheesh it's the government controlling this not a fraud!

Sorry I had to vent :( it's just not fair

Kaelee
April 8th, 2012, 03:43 PM
What's a Money Pak? is that like a money order? I don't think I've ever had to give my social for a money order (not that I buy a lot of them...but I used to sell them as well and never saw that.) At the very least I know Moneygram doesn't ask for it.

longcurlygirl<3
April 8th, 2012, 03:45 PM
moneypak is a card you add money to and can reload prepaid cards, and the only thing to reload your paypal with if you don't have a credit or bank/checkings account.

Amber_Maiden
April 8th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Could you have sent the seller a check? Most LHCers don't seem to mind that.

caadam
April 8th, 2012, 03:50 PM
They asked for your SSN? That's weird... I think.

All I have to say is that I sort of have to agree with your mother to an extent. You always want to be careful when a company asks for your SSN, make sure you know exactly why they need it. Your SSN is a part of your identity, and if you give it to the wrong person, you can become a victim of identity theft.

That's why I always cringe when I hear that someone is carrying around their SS card in their purse or wallet. It's so dangerous. My ex lost his wallet last year and he had no idea that someone could steal his identity through his SS card. Luckily, his card was still in his wallet when he found it.

Kaelee
April 8th, 2012, 03:52 PM
They asked for your SSN? That's weird... I think.

All I have to say is that I sort of have to agree with your mother to an extent. You always want to be careful when a company asks for your SSN, make sure you know exactly why they need it. Your SSN is a part of your identity, and if you give it to the wrong person, you can become a victim of identity theft.

That's why I always cringe when I hear that someone is carrying around their SS card in their purse or wallet. It's so dangerous. My ex lost his wallet last year and he had no idea that someone could steal his identity through his SS card. Luckily, his card was still in his wallet when he found it.

The even scarier thing is, how many job applications do you fill out in your life? And how many of them have your SS# on them? (most of them...) How many hands does that application go through?

Forms at doctors offices, etc. Can you really trust the receptionist, HR person, heck even the JANITOR at every place you send your social to on a piece of paper? SCARY!

caadam
April 8th, 2012, 03:55 PM
It can be scary. That's why when I fill out forms, first off, I always wait to fill out my SSN when I get to the desk and when I'm asked to, and second, I make sure that the person I'm giving my paperwork to is the person that actually handles it.

Anyway... lol Back to the OP. :D

longcurlygirl<3
April 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I guess, but no I can't even send a check! My mother is very-uptight as my dad. I mean I feel bad making the seller wait to sell me a toy because of my money issues :(

Kaelee
April 8th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I guess, but no I can't even send a check! My mother is very-uptight as my dad. I mean I feel bad making the seller wait to sell me a toy because of my money issues :(

Money orders are your friend then. Buy it in cash, send it, they cash it like a check. :)

caadam
April 8th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I second a money order! It's probably going to be safer in the long run anyway, for you and the seller.

torrilin
April 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
The only time your SSN is required is if there are tax implications FOR YOU. That means you give it when opening a bank account, or getting a job, or when filling out government tax returns. Otherwise, it's illegal for them to require a SSN. If an organization can't explain how you'd have to report the transaction on your taxes and they won't let you fill out their form without a SSN... run like hell.

This includes things like the DMV and your doctor's office. A number of states default to using SSNs for your driver's license number or state ID number, even tho it's really seriously illegal, but in all of 'em, you can ask to have a different number. Doctor's offices should take your DL or state ID or passport instead of your SSN. Don't be afraid to kick up a fuss about this.

longcurlygirl<3
April 8th, 2012, 05:00 PM
thank you ladies! And I see you all and my mom are right, so money order I will!

longcurlygirl<3
April 8th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Just to those who use moneypak to refill anything even paypal beware because they will ask for you SSN

Kaelee
April 8th, 2012, 05:11 PM
The only time your SSN is required is if there are tax implications FOR YOU. That means you give it when opening a bank account, or getting a job, or when filling out government tax returns. Otherwise, it's illegal for them to require a SSN. If an organization can't explain how you'd have to report the transaction on your taxes and they won't let you fill out their form without a SSN... run like hell.

This includes things like the DMV and your doctor's office. A number of states default to using SSNs for your driver's license number or state ID number, even tho it's really seriously illegal, but in all of 'em, you can ask to have a different number. Doctor's offices should take your DL or state ID or passport instead of your SSN. Don't be afraid to kick up a fuss about this.

I did not know this...my state uses the SSN to identify you when doing anything with your DL but they don't use it as the actual number.

arcane
April 8th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Can you get a prepaid credit card? It will cost you a few extra dollars, but that is something my partner does when he needs to pay something online quckly (he does not have a regualr credit card).

longcurlygirl<3
April 8th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Can you get a prepaid credit card? It will cost you a few extra dollars, but that is something my partner does when he needs to pay something online quckly (he does not have a regualr credit card).

yes but it needs like a mniumum of 25 dollars and I usually receive or draw for gift cards :D

Maelyssa
April 8th, 2012, 07:37 PM
That totally stinks! But I do have to wonder about the SSN part. I use prepaid credit debit cards through Paypal sometimes and beyond needing your SSN to actually set up the debit card ts never asked me for it during a purchase.
I know many credit unions and banks open accounts as young as 13 that offer debit cards. My daughter has one. Also, Walmart has a prepaid debit card that I believe you can purchase and use even at your age. There are fees to use it but you'd have a bit more liberty with your money.

Hope something works out for you...good luck!

MandyBeth
April 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM
You can also buy gift cards that work like credit cards. I've seen American Express versions at Walmart and Target.

But the Flexi people are nice to work with, so email and ask if you can do a money order or bank check.

sycamoreboutiqu
April 8th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I have used MoneyPac before to fund a Paypal account quickly. I don't recall giving my SS number at any point in the process. That doesn't sound kosher. It is practically the same thing as buying a money order - just in card form.

PurplePenguin
April 8th, 2012, 11:05 PM
DH and I have used something similar to MoneyPak and they did ask for my SSN, it has something to do with government regulation like you said. I would have to agree with your mom though and the other posters who say money orders are the way to go. Or the next big holiday you could maybe convince someone to give you one of those pre-paid card thingies that Visa or MasterCard do, I think someone else has already suggested something along the lines. Moms tend to know what they are talking about ;). Hang in there sweetie, 2 more years but don't let them fly by too fast. Cherish this time. And by the way - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR HAIR, SO BEAUTIFUL! I'm in hair envy lol.