PDA

View Full Version : New growth after hair loss.

stew
April 8th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Have any of you experienced significant allover hair loss (for ANY reason)?

Since my hair has started growing back in, I've got little prickly bits and fine baby hairs all over my head. They are really itchy for one thing. They also make my hair do really funny things.. it is puffy around the ears, for example, and it gets really poofy on top because it is resting on all these tiny baby hairs.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate the itchiness of new growth, or tame the baby hairs so my hair doesn't shoot out in all directions :eek:

arcane
April 8th, 2012, 01:22 PM
My head is always itchy so I'm of little help there, but as for the baby hairs I used to always have to use bobby pins on the side of my head because if not the baby hairs made me look like a mad scientist. They finally got to a length that was managable and I'm going through another huge shed right now.

GuardGirl
April 8th, 2012, 01:28 PM
My little girl is 2 now, but when she was 4 months old I started having a severe postpartum shed that lasted about 2 months. I lost over half my hair, and had tons and TONS of those new baby hairs growing in. When they got about 2-3" long was probably the worst part because they would stick straight up, were long enough to be obtrusive, and were still too short to pull back. I used Garnier Fructis curl sculpting cream gel (and still do) to kind of smooth them down, as well as headbands and bobby pins. It was a very awkward time, but after a while those hairs start to get long again. I don't recall them ever really being itchy though, maybe because my hair is curly and they stuck out instead of touching my scalp. Good luck! :)

vamq
April 8th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I have the exact same "problem" (new hairs, yay! :D), so I'll be watching this thread

What helps for me is adding a few drops of tea tree oil to my shampoo and give my scalp a good massage with this before rinsing.
For frizzy hair, I found aloë very gel helps a lot. Another thing that works for me is my hair mist with several oils in it. I use tea tree, a tiny bit of castor oil, and rosemary EO for the scent. Coconut oil would work too, I suppose, but my hair hates it.

While dealing with the frizz and itchies, just remember that those tiny hair will be long hairs in a few years from now :D

torrilin
April 8th, 2012, 04:45 PM
For my hair, the gentle way to keep wispies under control is conditioner. If my hair is moisturized enough, the wispies don't float in as giant a halo as they would otherwise.

The medium way is to use curl creme. Yes, I'm only a 1c. But curl creme tends to be moderately moisturizing, and the less moisture in the wispies, the more they float.

The full throttle way is to use gel. Even a very small amount of gel can really help keep wispies stuck down flat. But I keep experimenting with various curly methods to preserve curl because my wispies will slurp up so much moisture, and those tend to produce really long lasting results even after I wash the gel out.

Anywhere
April 8th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Define significant. ;)

I had a decent sized shed a few years back. I didn't really notice any itching/regrowth, but my hair looked obnoxious as it started growing out and was left to air dry (like a lollipop or something. So much hair/volume for a few inches all over my head, then thin stringyish ends.)

I tamed the wispies with AVG while damp, and then put it up into a bun, which I still do since my regrowth is only 6~9" or so. I look less like a feral animal and more like a tidy human being this way. ;)

Mai Gloeckchen
April 8th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Thread for me...
I had a severe shed last summer due to irondeficiancy and lost (I measured and calculated) 55% of my overall volume from about 7,5cm ponytailcircumference to 5cm.
My hair ist regrowing since october and is now at about eyelength. Since it was at eyebrows or a bit shorter especially the hair on the front got anoying but most of it was managable as the longer hairs inbetween were there to pull it back and down.
I am now in the state, when I can hardly style this newgrowth, I always have a halo of "frizz". From older sheds I know, that this state will last about half a year, then comes a length which is long enough to style in to the rest of the hair, so about a year from the end of the shedding to the end of looking somehow messy. :) Sometimes annoying, most times I can deal with it, as I know, that I get my volume back.