PDA

View Full Version : I cannot tell I need a trim or not..

Curlsgirl
July 25th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I am going to the Aveda salon today to get my toner done and I have come to trust my stylist sooooooooooo was thinking of asking her if she thinks I need a trim. She has not even ONCE suggested I have one by the way and loves my long hair, even admires how I take care of it. This is my issue..it seems to be growing very slowly and even though I want to reach waist I am thinking perhaps the ends are breaking off due to old damage. I know this sounds silly but by examining my hair, I cannot tell if it is split or damaged on the ends or not and how bad if it is. I am SURE there are splits but whether it is keeping my hair from gaining length I can't tell.

Should I trust her to tell me and trim a bit or just leave it alone? I'm a little nervous about losing length but if it is keeping me from GROWING then it would be silly NOT to.

Isilme
July 25th, 2008, 07:15 AM
examine your hair in strong light and take some sections and see if you can find any splits or white dots, if you find white dots, make sure it isn't lint. If you can find any, don't trim:) If what you find is too much to S&D away, get a trim. Or get a trim if you want to even up your hemline, but from what I understand, that's not as important with curly hair.

FrannyG
July 25th, 2008, 07:15 AM
When is the last time you got a trim? When did you notice that your growth slowed down?

Honestly, you may not need a trim at all. More information, Curlsgirl! You know the drill! :)

Curlsgirl
July 25th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Well here is one thing, I have a vision problem, won't get into it here but it is not corrected with reading glasses hence one of the reasons I can't tell if there is significant damage or not. It has been about 6 months I would guess since I trimmed a very small amount by Feye's method because I want to get to waist so bad. When I pick up a strand, I don't see white dots at all in the light. I have a lot of hair and I cannot see to S & D, just no way. I cannot even tell when I pick up a strand if it is just the curlies going off in different directions or actual splits. This is why I am having a problem with this. I wish I had one of you to look at it. Curly makes it harder too since the hairs tend not to play together nicely anyway.

FrannyG
July 25th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I see what you mean, you need someone who is hair knowledgeable to look at those ends. So you'll need to trust the hair stylist. :hmm:

Well, when was it that you noticed the slowdown in growth, if any?

Kirin
July 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I myself am starting to rethink the trim = growth thing. Though its said its a myth, seriously, my hair was not damaged or split, but after a self trim it started growing again.

A 1/2 inch trim *might* make a huge difference, it did for me.

Golden21
July 25th, 2008, 08:30 AM
It sounds as if you have a very trustworthy stylist- you are lucky! I would at least ask her what she thinks. In your picture your ends look very healthy, not that that is much help.
Make sure you decide on a length before you go in, like three inches off or only a half an inch because you have worked so hard to get it long.

Arctic
July 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Maybe you'll have more luck looking the ends against dark background, as you have blond hair? How about using magnifying lense just to take a look? You could also go by tactile sense: the damaged ends feel different to the touch, rough etc.

kate46
July 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I know that every tiny bit of length counts when you are eager for growth but with a 1/2 inch trim you really arn't losing anything and it may well kick start a growth spurt. I know for sure that my hair will not grow without pretty regular trims. As you are already visiting your stylist you might aswell let her do a small trim, after all it will only take a month or so to grow back and you get to remove any lurking damage at the same time. :)

lora410
July 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I would just see if you have splits and if not leave it alone. I love aveda's be curly line. It's cone free and does wonders for my hair :)

FrannyG
July 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Well, Curlsgirl, I think you'd really be taking your chances to have anyone at a salon do a small trim for you. It's really hard for non-LHCers to really understand what a half inch is. Even when you show them.

My suggestion to you is to do a Feye's trim yourself, and cut off only a quarter to a half an inch. If you do feel that your hair may be breaking, this may help. Since you can't S&D, I think that six months is more than enough between trims.

I know how eager you are to hit waist, but a half inch grows back in the blink of an eye. Honest.

In any case, I wish you well with it. :flowers:

Curlsgirl
July 25th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I see what you mean, you need someone who is hair knowledgeable to look at those ends. So you'll need to trust the hair stylist. :hmm:

Well, when was it that you noticed the slowdown in growth, if any?

It is so hard for me to measure my own hair I have a hard time really pinpointing that. It has not been growing as quickly I think since I started watching it :o but really perhaps it just SEEMS that way! I can do figure 8s easier and my braid does lay over the front of my shoulder much better. So I see little signs but with it curly too it seems to take longer.

You all have given me some great ideas. I think I will do a small Feye's trim. When I put my hair up against a black background, I cannot see where the individual hairs have split at the ends but maybe it's further up the hair shaft. I like the magnifying glass idea too. I will ask her today when I go how damaged she thinks my ends look and if she thinks the splits are bad. I hate that I cannot tell myself!!!! :mad:

rhubarbarin
July 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
You all have given me some great ideas. I think I will do a small Feye's trim. When I put my hair up against a black background, I cannot see where the individual hairs have split at the ends but maybe it's further up the hair shaft. I like the magnifying glass idea too. I will ask her today when I go how damaged she thinks my ends look and if she thinks the splits are bad. I hate that I cannot tell myself!!!!

It's also possible that your hair, like mine, breaks off in little pieces instead of splitting.. and rarely leaves tell-tale white dots when it does so. My ends don't look 'damaged' when I peer at them. However I have severe breakage in spots.. some curls just fade away into nothing at just past my shoulder.

I don't mean to scare you! Your hair looks beautiful, thick and healthy and I don't think you need to trim much off, if any.

Curlsgirl
July 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM
It's also possible that your hair, like mine, breaks off in little pieces instead of splitting.. and rarely leaves tell-tale white dots when it does so. My ends don't look 'damaged' when I peer at them. However I have severe breakage in spots.. some curls just fade away into nothing at just past my shoulder.

I don't mean to scare you! Your hair looks beautiful, thick and healthy and I don't think you need to trim much off, if any.

Thanks :love: But what do you mean by the curls fade away to nothing?

LaurelSpring
July 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I myself am starting to rethink the trim = growth thing. Though its said its a myth, seriously, my hair was not damaged or split, but after a self trim it started growing again.

A 1/2 inch trim *might* make a huge difference, it did for me.

I know it doesnt make any sense, but I felt stalled and I got a trim about 6 weeks ago and after about a week it seemed to grow like mad. Very weird! Does your hair somehow try to compensate for the loss. I know one of the reasons you dont want layers is that I have heard your hair tries to equalize and send more energy to the cut parts which is why your bangs seem to grow so fast. So, maybe it does the same when you get a trim? I dont know Im just rambling here.