PDA

View Full Version : Bonus to BS/Vinegar routine!

Saldana
April 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I'm a month into a no-poo routine (baking soda 'wash', vinegar rinse), and although I'm still tweaking the measurements, I am happy to report it's going well.

AND.....

When using any kind of 'real' shampoo and/or conditioner, for years I've noticed a lot of lost hair when showering, or even during the day when I combed or ran my fingers through my hair...I'd be losing a lot of hair.

I'd put it down to aging. But, much to my surprise and delight, I've noticed that when doing the BS/VG routine, I lose NO hair in the shower. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

YAY!!

longcurlygirl<3
April 8th, 2012, 08:05 AM
wow that's great :) I notice alot of hair loss with shampoo even sulfate free, but I only wash twice a week. So those loose hairs are tangled in their and when I kind of finger-detangle on dry hair I lose hair.

But is BS&ACV routine drying? I tried it once.... eeeck! The BS DRIED my hair +scalp!

But it's great it worked for you.

Saldana
April 8th, 2012, 08:33 AM
LongCurleyGirl (GORGEOUS hair, btw!) -

I definately have noticed some drying - what I'm doing now is working with the proportions of BS/water and Vinegar/Water - I mix it in squirt bottles and apply it just to my scalp (at least, the BS solution). If you are interested in trying it again, try using just 1 teaspoon baking soda to about 2 cups of water, and see how it works. :)

heidi w.
April 8th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I absolutely do NOT recommend washing the hair with Baking Soda EXCEPT as perhaps for clarifying the hair, which should ONLY be done As-Needed, not on ANY kind of regularity of schedule. EVER. Baking Soda is a stripper of one's natural and applied oils, and what you remove one must replace. This program appears to be replacing nothing. For right now, this may work well enough, but in time, it will stop working as well. That's my guess. Give it more time to see if it's truly going well.

heidi w.

cooklaezo13
April 8th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I tried baking soda and an acidic rinse for about a month. It became too drying for my hair. The baking soda is very stripping. Pay attention to your hair and consider switching to a new routine if you feel the hair becoming too dry and brittle.
Shampoo and conditioner weren't giving me very good results either.
I now wash with clay and the herbs shikakai and amla. They are giving me great results, and are not too drying. You may have to experiment with many different washing methods before you figure out what works best for you in the long term.