PDA

View Full Version : Over-experimentation

littleizz
April 7th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Has anyone else had their skin and/or hair freak out after trying too many different care routines?

I've been positively soaking up all of the great info that's here over the past few months and have seen a lot of improvement in some areas. In others, mainly my skin, I feel like my body has just gone on strike. I'm sure this is mainly a newbie problem **guilty** :o and I need to just slow down and find what works. The fact that I also came of bc in the middle of my experimentation certainly didn't help either, but... it's just so frustrating!!

How long do you give your "experiments" before you give them a yea or nay?

AnqeIicDemise
April 7th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I tried CO only for about three weeks and I realized my scalp/hair wasn't taking it. I kept getting break outs on my scalp and my hair was greasy/lifeless.

The tea rinses made my hair darker and lovely but I got lazy.

I've kept the CWC, vinegar rinse and bi monthly deep conditioning. I do BBB when I remember....

But there was this one horrible episode where I did a scalp treatment with castor oil and tea tree oil... it was worse than the break outs. I got the most horrible, allergic reaction possible. I had to wash, clarify, wash and then hydrate the begeezus out of my scalp because the itch/flake was so bad.

I made myself bleed in places.

ETA: this scalp experiment lasted a grand total of ONE time.

Lady Neeva
April 7th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Two tries. I remember my SMT well enough, and realized that I didn't actually need it. :blushing:
I had (and still have) bad complexion, and I wondered why my acne medication never worked. :rolleyes:

caadam
April 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM
It really depends. I've been experimenting with WO for three weeks, but I can't tell whether it's something that's for me just yet. I have to try and get past this oily stage first!

But when it comes to products, I'll give a product about a week before I decide whether I like it or not. Except for one time when I tried a Vive conditioner. It smelled so strongly that I couldn't stand it after using it once. lol

Hollyfire3
April 7th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Conditioners-one or two washes, although i keep them handy because my fincky hair needs moisture or protein on any given day to look alright, so i switch conditoners often

Shampoo- one to two weeks, i try to find a non build up shampoo but again am forced to switch because my hair hates me

Styling products- one time, if it doesn't work, i have tried and true things to use instead

DT- once, no need to try again if these failed

Others like BS clarifying, ACV rinses, random mixtures of various sorts all last about one time, i can't really stand not to have something like that just NOT work the first few times, i just say its not going to at all then, so why bother.

caiti42
April 8th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I tried for almost 12 months numerous different products of all kinds. I found nothing my hair liked! Until I went back to normal shampoo and conditioner. Now my hair is lovely. It's a shame lol.

Littlewing13
April 8th, 2012, 01:52 AM
There is an article under the hair care section that has tips for newbies & recommends waiting at least 2 weeks before trying a new thing. I would suggest a month. Otherwise you don't know what works (or what doesn't). Some things (such as trying co or wo washing) can take a long time to "settle down" & see if it works for you.

Like any scientific experimentation, you should document each new thing, keep the date started, any thoughts & comments, & detailed method. You never know if something will go wrong (things such as allergies & shedding as well as just too dry hair or too oily).

Having said that I got excited too & just dumped a whole bunch of different oils in my hair every night for a while. I should really take it easy.

& don't forget the big picture. Hair grows. It does that naturally without lotions & potions.