PDA

View Full Version : When do you brush your hair? Wet/damp/dry?

Asma
April 7th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I was wondering what you guys do after a shower, do you comb it while it's wet, damp or dry? Personally, I drip dry and comb it with a wide toothed comb when it's about 80% dry I think that works best for me..:cheese:

Madora
April 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Hair is weakest when wet so you should wait until it is dry to brush.

jojo
April 7th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hi Asma!!! well I comb the conditioner through my hair to help distribute it evenly and then I don't touch my hair again with either a comb or brush until its dry. Wet hair can be combed gentlywith a wide toothed comb when wet but never use a brush as it can break the hair.
Hope this was of some help! and welcome to LHC!

Bagginslover
April 7th, 2012, 11:52 AM
If I don't detangle my hair when it's wet, the knots lock in as it drys, and are then impossible to remove. So I brush wet. My hair does seem to be freakishly strong though, and rarely breaks, so I don't recommend it really.

Pinkster8
April 7th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I have my hair in a towel for probably 5-10 minutes after I shower and then I take it out and section it into thin bits and comb starting from the bottom. I waited until it was dry once and combed through gently, starting at the bottom and all I heard was *snap snap snap rip*... It was awful. Combing wet seems to work best for my hair.

lapushka
April 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM
My hair's combed after it's towel dried. After that it's left alone to dry and not combed (or brushed) again until right before the next wash.

Asma
April 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hi Asma!!! well I comb the conditioner through my hair to help distribute it evenly and then I don't touch my hair again with either a comb or brush until its dry. Wet hair can be combed gentlywith a wide toothed comb when wet but never use a brush as it can break the hair.
Hope this was of some help! and welcome to LHC!
Thank you! I've been lurking for quite a while now.. i feel like I already know most of you guys;)

BrightEyes
April 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I detangle my hair with a wide-tooth comb after towel drying. I don't really brush my hair. I bought a nice BBB but don't really use it, I just tend to always reach for my comb.

Kittyxx
April 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM
the only times I comb/brush my hair is when I comb my conditioner through and then afterwards when it's wet but not dripping - I've heard that as long as you comb instead of brush it should be okay

MoonlightShadow
April 7th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I deranged my hair when is wet o.o.....it's impossible for me to detangle when it's dry lol...
But I hardly brush my hair. Usually I just brush the top part of my hair to lay it down

MoonlightShadow
April 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
*detangle o.o

auroraclio
April 7th, 2012, 12:32 PM
After i wash, i put oil on my ends then comb with a wide-tooth comb. Then I leave it alone until it's dry. If I don't part it and comb - it dries really funky and knotty.

dwell_in_safety
April 7th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I usually do some minimal finger detangling in the shower, just enough so it won't be a nest and only when/where there isn't much resistance. I fully finger detangle and add a touch of oil when it's about 75% dry and run a comb through after it's fully dry or quite close to it.

Covet
April 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I detangle my hair when it's wet because that's the only way I can get a comb through it. Seriously. So I soak it in conditioner and detangle when it's wet.

Renate
April 7th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I only comb my hair when dry. My hair is fine and I can literally feel the strands breaking if I comb it wet...

barely.there
April 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I detangle my hair with a wide toothed plastic comb while its still wet. Then I style it by using a large round BBB and blowdrying on cool. If I don't, my hair looks uber ratty.

Firefly
April 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I rarely brush, but when I do it's always dry.

jojo
April 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM
^^ same here Renate, i too can hear the hairs breaking. Have to say too, a BBB on our hair types is fantastic, the sebum seems to coat the hair and make it stronger, somehow!

jacqueline101
April 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I comb out the tangles after I mist on detangler the use wide tooth comb and then after that you can brush your hair always brush when dry.

Amber_Maiden
April 7th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Dry, or mostly dry/slightly damp.

Macaroni
April 7th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I rarely brush it. It air dries and then I use a wide toothed comb.

longcurlygirl<3
April 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I detangle my hair when it's wet because that's the only way I can get a comb through it. Seriously. So I soak it in conditioner and detangle when it's wet.

I think this is what most curlies do, as do I :)

LadyLongLocks
April 7th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Comb when very wet. Only brush when dry with a BBB. Also BBB after I apply oil, like coconut.

PrincessIdril
April 7th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Comb when wet or damp. I only brush when it's completely dry

ladylowtide
April 7th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I finger comb my hair when the ends are soaked with conditioner in the shower. I comb it when it is completely dry three days after I shower. And I brush it once it gets really oily with my BBB.

Singinghoneybee
April 7th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I have to comb (I don't even own a brush) it when It is wet/damp or I end up with a halo. Normally, I comb it right after I rinse the conditioner out of my hair.

caadam
April 7th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I comb hair when it's damp, but never brush it until after it's completely dry.

DarkSky
April 7th, 2012, 11:02 PM
If I am wearing my hair curly I will comb in the shower with a ton of conditioner in. On day 2 may lightly use a comb on the ends to fluff it. When I wear my hair straight I will brush every day (when dry) to distribute the oils through my hair and avoid getting the greasy head look.

zombi
April 7th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I only use a wide-toothed comb on my hair in the shower to comb my conditioner through. Otherwise I don't brush or comb my hair unless I have a special reason (like straightening/blowdrying for a length picture).

ClassicalBlonde
April 8th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I don't brush my hair uness I'm lazy and can't find my wide toothed comb and I comb it when it has drip dried for the most part. If I need to go out somewhere and it hasn't dried yet I usually comb it wet (I know I shouldn't!).

cwarren
April 8th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I comb it when its soaking wet and full of conditioner. I only brush my hair to style it, never to detangle it and brushing it when its dry will only make it super frizzy. So I mist my hair with leave-in first and then brush it to get it to lay down.

carolinaberry
April 8th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I comb it with a wide-tooth comb after gently squeezing with a towel to remove excess water after showering and applying a leave-in conditioner. I only brush when it is dry. However, my daughter has very curly hair and we do this naturally curly method where she puts in lots of conditioner while her hair is sopping wet and we brush to clump the curls with a Denman brush.

Masara
April 8th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I brush my hair after it's towel dried. If I wait until it's dry, it takes longer to dry and dries in clumps with tangles that are tough to get out after. Once it's dry, I brush it to put it up. I use a detangling brush

Quixii
April 8th, 2012, 01:35 AM
I actually brush my hair right before I get in the shower, and don't typically detangle it again until the next time I'm about to take a shower. So it is dry at the time.

janeytilllie
April 8th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I brush my hair with only a Tangle teezer when I come out the shower. I can't leave my alone to dry or it turns into knots and curls.

Littlewing13
April 8th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Don't ever brush when wet. Only brush dry hair. You can comb it while wet though.

I comb wet in the morning after shower or my hair knots too much. Brush before bed with TT.

auburntressed
April 8th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I very gently comb through my hair right after I am done washing it - just enough to make sure it is smooth and free of glaring tangles.

After that, I don't touch it until it is completely dry. That's when I do the whole shebang with the detangling first, then BBB for 100 strokes (or however many I feel like). Also, I try to brush it out thoroughly before I ever get into the shower to wash it, because that helps cut down on hairs going into the shower drain (which is BAD). I really have noticed a big difference on how much hair I lose in the shower by doing that.

moon2dove
April 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I comb right before I wash my hair and finger comb thereafter. Sometimes I comb once more between hair washes and sometimes not.

moon2dove
April 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I actually brush my hair right before I get in the shower, and don't typically detangle it again until the next time I'm about to take a shower. So it is dry at the time.

-----------------------

If you don't mind me asking!

How often do you wash your hair?

:)

BeccaAngel
April 8th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Wide tooth comb when wet and brush when dry, just like I've been taught a long time ago. Sometimes i just run my fingers through instead of a comb but that's because my hair is fine and when i use a comb it takes away that volume i want. :)

Maelyssa
April 8th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I use a GOody Ouchless brush and do it right after twel drying. Believe it or not, for me it does less damage to my hair. But I am extra gentle.

Vallena
April 8th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I use a wide tooth comb if my hair is slightly damp, but I don't brush it until it is completely dry. Wet brushing is just a train wreck waiting to happen for me. Even combing when wet... Yuck. Breakage everywhere!

PixxieStix
April 8th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I comb my hair when it is done air drying. I finger comb in the shower when my hair is full of oil shampoo.

Kyla
April 8th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I only brush it when it's dry with a BBB every few days. I comb it very gently when it's dry, usually in the morning and before bed, and when it wet VERY GENTLY right after I wash it.

Sunny_side_up
April 9th, 2012, 05:24 AM
After gentle towel drying i will comb my hair then sometimes braid or otherwise leave it down. behaves so much better after a gentle combing. Rarely do i put it up in a claw clip anymore as i have felt hairs being pulled. So most comfy for my scalp and head is two braids and i love the braid waves volume i get!:D i brush my hair when its completely dry, usually when i get to work, after work and sometimes before bed.

Annibelle
April 9th, 2012, 07:15 AM
:) If I want to wear my hair straight-ish, I have to comb it several times while it's wet. If I want to wear it naturally wavy, I don't comb it at all.

Jessy22284
April 9th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I detangle my hair with a wide toothed plastic comb while its still wet. Then I style it by using a large round BBB and blowdrying on cool. If I don't, my hair looks uber ratty.

That's what I do exactly.... a couple of months ago I used to brush my hair wet... before I discovered BBB and wide toothed combs. :( lots of breakage.