PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Tangle Teezer?

iSuperHeroic
April 6th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I'm thinking about buying one, but what hair type is it for? My hair is very fine, thin, and straight. And it's the devil to pull a brush through. I always have to keep it up because of how easily it tangles.

So is this brush for curly haired girls or any hair type?

And what were your thoughts on it? Did you love it, hate it, etc.

Thank you! :p

cfreya
April 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I just got one and it is great the very next day I went out and bought the compact version too so I can always have one in my bag

My hair is very similar to yours, fine thin straight and tangly, but unlike you I LOVE wearing my hair down, and tangle teezer really helps, its also great to massage your scalp

caadam
April 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Tangle Teezers are pretty awesome. I like using mine when my hair is damp, but also when I want to quickly detangle my hair because I don't have the time to go through my usually grooming routine. Just always remember to start at the ends if your hair is a bit difficult, Tangle Teezer or not. :D

Covet
April 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM
They are fantastic! I love mine so much, it saves me a lot of pain, frustration and knot ripping. I totally recommend them. I have thick curly hair that I guarantee tangles more than yours :p

Seeshami
April 6th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I got mine about a month ago and now my mom and both my sisters have them as well. It works very well on my thick straight hair, my mom's thin straight hair and my sister's thick and thin, curly and wavy. Dad absconds with it for scalp massage.

Beatrix_Kiddo
April 6th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I love my Tangle Teezer. I can't imagine my life without it xD

TheMechaGinger
April 6th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I love mine to pieces, DBF and I don't use anything but my tangle teezer to comb/brush our hair any more. Haha he loves it so much he doesn't even mind that it's hot pink :D We both have fairly thick straight hair and it works wonderfully

christiner
April 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM
i have never heard of this before. where did y'all get yours?

Sillage
April 6th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I was skeptical at fist but now I am a believer. It feels so amazing on the scalp and go thru my hair like BUTTER. I also feel like it helps brush oils and things thru my hair better than the nylon/boar bristle bush I was using before. Love this thing! I got mine (and lots of other stuff) at Sally's btw.

irishlady
April 6th, 2012, 05:29 PM
There are people of many hair types here who use the Tangle Teezer.
My hair is quite fine and wavy, but I find that this brush really helps with the tangles...literally.
I wouldn't use it on wet or damp hair personally, because I'd be worried about fragile my hair is then.

Laylah
April 6th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking about buying one, but what hair type is it for? My hair is very fine, thin, and straight. And it's the devil to pull a brush through. I always have to keep it up because of how easily it tangles.
So is this brush for curly haired girls or any hair type?
And what were your thoughts on it? Did you love it, hate it, etc.
Thank you! :p
I know my little profile thing says I'm 2c, but that's more like the average of my hairtypes. It's probably more like 2b-3a. The outside layer of my hair is wavy, the middle is very tight defined waves, and the inside is spiral curls at the nape of the neck. My tangle teezer works on my whole hair which is more than I can say for most brushes. For the regular plastic brushes I couldn't run it through the curly part but the tangle teezer somehow breaks up the curl but doesn't catch or make it frizzy. It also works great on the wavy part. It's great for brushing or mild detangling. I still use a wide tooth comb for after-wash detangling or I've got a lot of knots.

So for fine, thin hair? If you hair can handle a normal brush a tangle teezer will be fine and if not, you could still try it but be gentle. But I have heard of some cases where the tangle teezer caused people's fine hair to break. In any case, it's not a huge investment, and it's always better to be gentle with it. It doesn't break my hair at all and I don't lose as much hair per brushing because it never yanks out or breaks my hair.

i have never heard of this before. where did y'all get yours?
I got my at Sally beauty supply for $10.

afu
April 6th, 2012, 05:48 PM
i have the compact version and i love it, i find the regular sized one too big for my small hands. For me it works best on damp, towel dried hair and does such a thourough job i rarely have to even finger comb dry hair. The bristles on the compact one do feel a bit more rigid than on the regular but so far ive not seen any breakage, the only hair left in the brush seems to be shed hairs. Also, i use mine in a CO wash regime to massage conditioner through the hair and feels lovely on the scalp

Long_hair_bear
April 6th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Love mine! I'll never go back to a conventional brush!

ladyfey
April 6th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I no longer use my brush, just the tangle teezer on dry hair and comb with wet, conditioner-coated hair. The TT is much gentler on my hair than the brush ever was, and it is great on my toddler daughter's hair. I got mine on amazon.

Littlewing13
April 7th, 2012, 01:31 AM
I have fine wavy hair. Fantastic on dry hair! really great on the scalp. Detangles like a dream. Except on wet hair. Not so great on wet hair. I got the compact & I think its huge (I have small hands), cant imagine getting the standard ones.

sarelis
April 7th, 2012, 03:26 AM
OH's youngest daughter Ella has always been a scruffy little urchin, it has always been a devil's job to get her to brush her hair & wear it neatly. I recently introduced her to LHC & took her to a salon to get her hair styled for her birthday, whilst there I suggested to her that she buy herself a tangle teaser. OMG! She won't stop brushing now! Because it's easy & pain free suddenly we have a well groomed, presentable child! I would definately recommend them for kids, as most of them hate hair detangling (because tbh it can be darned painful!) I also have one myself for the same reason :)

annamoonfairy
April 7th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I love my hair bean it works wonders : )

MonaMayfair
April 7th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I've got one, but went back to using my (handmade, fairly wide tooth) comb.

I found the TT pulled out more hairs than the comb and didn't detangle any better.
My hair is quite fine and slightly wavy.

I might just have weird hair though, since I've also tried a wooden comb (which lots of people here love) and I didn't like that either...

Smiley Sunshine
April 7th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Have you ladies found it's split your hair, because I've read lots of really good reviews about it, but some people seem to think it splits your hair a lot? I'm just curious if it’s worth me buying one as well or not. :)

dinnee
April 7th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I love mine. I don't go anywhere without it (and won't brush my hair with anything else if I don't have to). It's easy to clean and very gentle on tangles. Which is a big plus for a thin, fine, wavy haired girl like me. :) I try to use it as little as possible on wet hair.. But old habits die hard.. :/

jacqueline101
April 7th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I bought the hair bean generic tangle teaser. I like it.

infinity_girl
April 7th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I have a tt but I have very curly hair and I find that it makes it very frizzy and I think it gives me lots of split ends (even though it does seem to get rid of the tangles somewhat). I have mixed feelings about it tbh.

Lisabunny
April 7th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I love my Tangle Teaser. It get my hair de-knotted and helps spread the hairs natural oils better then a BBB IMO.

MonaMayfair
April 8th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Have you ladies found it's split your hair, because I've read lots of really good reviews about it, but some people seem to think it splits your hair a lot? I'm just curious if it’s worth me buying one as well or not. :)

It didn't give me any splits, I never seem to get them. I felt as if were tearing my hair though, in a way my comb doesn't.

drquartz1970
April 8th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I am very happy with my tangle teezer and it works well on my thick tangle prone curly hair. I only use it on the ends mostly and not at the roots.

Of the Fae
April 8th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I recently got one, and I have slightly wavy to reasonably straight hair, that is average to fine, but quite dense (so a lot of it).
It usually takes me half an hour to work through all of my knots after wearing it down the whole day, but with the tangleteezer it takes about half the time. The teeth can go deeper and it is indeed great to distribute oils from scalp to length. Also massage!

Btw, the first day I got it I thought it snagged my hair, but now that I am used to wielding the device I can brush my hair easily without tearing!

GRU
April 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I now own four TTs -- one in my bathroom, one in my backpack for school/clinical days, one on my work desk, and one on my home office desk. If I ever hear that they are going out of business, I will buy 100 more so I always have a supply. I cannot imagine my world without a TT anymore.

I've never understood how people can claim they cause split ends -- what on earth can the TT do to your hair to cause splits? How can you know that there is absolutely no other reason for a split (product usage, friction on the pillow at night, rubbed by purse/backpack strap, or any other million reasons). If a TT bristle comes upon a knot/tangle, the bristle bends over to let the knot pass by without ripping the hairs out. How does that cause the hair to split?

For years (decades!) I used to rip through my tangles with a regular brush -- I would have hundreds of 1-2cm long "dead soldiers" all over my bathroom floor, casualties of being the weakest strand in a knot. These soldiers gave up their lives when the regular brush's stiff bristle came through wreaking their havoc... and the leftover strand, from which the soldier had been violently torn, often developed a split. Since using the TT, I haven't had any dead soldiers. I very rarely ever find splits in my hair anymore.

As for people thinking that it's tearing the hair, that's just the "flicking" sound that the bristles make when they pop back up again. It will make the same "ripping" sound if you drag your finger across the top of the bristles, but your finger isn't all cut up afterward -- it's just a sound, not an actual ripping action. The hollow nature of the brush just makes the sound amplify so it sounds much louder than it would be in a solid-backed brush.

I highly recommend the TT, and have probably gotten a couple dozen people hooked on them in the past couple years.

iSuperHeroic
April 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Wow! Awesome reviews!

Thanks guys, I'm buying it!

cfreya
April 9th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Wow! Awesome reviews!

Thanks guys, I'm buying it!

Let us know what you think ! :)