PDA

View Full Version : Help me! Horrendous shedding...

enlightened
April 6th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Hello All,

I am a newbie so please forgive if I am making a faux pas. I wanted to get some advice from your ladies. I have been shedding considerable amounts of hair for a while now. it gets everywhere, all over carpet floors, pillows, everywhere.

When i gently take off my hair tie to open it, clumps of hair accopanies it. My hair is long waist length. I take iron supplement as well as a multivitamin. if i run my hands through my hair, more long hairs come off in my hands. :-( when i wash it, more clumps come out :mad:. I'm so fed up. Over the years my hair has thinned to half of what it was.

I have just ordered the following oil to help. Have any one of yous guys had any experience with it? I plan to use it on my scalp, but not sure if i should something different to oil the length?

Ramkrishna Maha Bhringaraj Bhringraj oil - Organic

I use the Ojon hair restorative treatment and shampoos but it doesnt seem to matter what shampoo i use, my hair sheds like crazy. Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Enlightened :)

Roscata
April 6th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Hello enlightened, welcome to LHC! :)

I'm sorry to hear you've been going through this, it is awful, I speak from experience. So *big hugs* to you.

Nothing helped me stop my shedding better than Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34344), but other people have had success with Castor oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265).

If you lost half your thickness I strongly suggest you go see a doctor you might have an issue with anemia, hormones, thyroid or something else and only a doctor can help you with that. You may also want to look into ingredients in your shampoo (https://morroccomethod.com/educational-resources/chemical-sensitivity/176-your-shampoo-may-be-hazardous-to-your-health).

Good luck! :)

enlightened
April 6th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Thank you for welcoming me and replying. I guess i have lost my thickness from when i was younger. My one plait used to be so thick , now its half of what it was. I will look into trying that oil too. I am taking iron tablets as well as a hair skin and nails vitamin. I think i will ask my doctor but somehow i just feel i wont be taken very seriously :shrug:

They don't want to pay for the blood tests... *sigh*

thank you so much :)

enlightened
April 6th, 2012, 02:23 PM
what cleasing products do you recommend. has your hair stopped shedding now? can you share your hair care routine and products please?? :)

hugs back :)

Amethyste
April 6th, 2012, 03:03 PM
what cleasing products do you recommend. has your hair stopped shedding now? can you share your hair care routine and products please?? :)

I shed a lot a year ago, and I started to use Diatomaceous Earth and the extra shedding has stopped. Now I get maybe 10 hairs or less a day for shedding, that's good for me! Also, Sulfur treatment can help people to regrow hair that has been lost around the scalp hemline, it stinks, but has worked for many people.

I second the suggestion to get to your doctor if you are shedding a lot, as underlying medical issues could be manifesting...

virgo75
April 6th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this. :(

I agree that you should see a doctor. There are many illnesses that have hairloss as one of the symptoms.

As far as helping with the shedding, I've read about garlic shampoo helping. I bought some but keep forgetting to use it. I have shedding but it's not excessive, just more than I want.

Have you recently changed hair products? Did you dye or use any other chemicals on your hair? Have you been on a diet or under a lot of stress lately? All of these could contribute to increased shedding as well.

I hope you're able to find a solution. :flower:

Seeshami
April 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM
A dermatologist may take you more seriously but you would be surprised how your doctor may react. Hair loss in the amounts it sounds like could be a sign for many serious conditions. If your doctor brushes it off the first time you need to make sure you are expressing to them that it's alarming you. No one knows your body better then you do and if a doctor isn't listening to you find another because if hair doesn't mater today what will it be tomorrow?

Many Hugs and welcome.

Roscata
April 6th, 2012, 05:22 PM

You're welcome! :)

I reccomend using clensing products that have less harsh chemicals, sulfate-free stuff.

What I've used and liked: CV shampoo bars (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/48/49/for-the-hair/shampoo-bars), conditioner only washes (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18) (especially with V05 conditioner), soapnuts (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=95), and sulfate-free shampoo (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sulfate-free+shampoo#q=sulfate-free+shampoo&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=shop&prmd=imvns&source=lnt&tbs=price:1,ppr_max:10&sa=X&ei=Z3p_T6aWIsiziQLVvfWkAw&ved=0CD8QpwUoAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=fa4fe72ddba5d392&biw=1006&bih=931).

afu
April 6th, 2012, 05:25 PM
if it really is bothering you i agree with the suggestion of seeing a doctor. If one won't take you seriously, don't give up, see another. I had problems with my health last year and kept being told it would pass and not to worry, i kept making appointments with different doctors at the surgery and eventually one sent me for blood tests and i showed up as drastically hyperthroid. I always see that doctor now and im glad i didn't give up. If this is something important to you and something you think may be wrong there is no harm in making sure

Scarlet_Heart
April 7th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Welcome to LHC! :waving:

I had this problem last fall and went to see my doctor. Turned out to be a serious vitamin D deficiency and a hormone imbalance due to polycystic ovary syndrome. So it could be something quite serious. See a doctor!

MonaMayfair
April 7th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Do see your doctor. If you suddenly start shedding large amounts of hair there could be a medical problem.
In my case, it was hypo (under-active) thyroid. Once I was on the correct medication (which replaces the thyroid hormone) the shedding stopped. In my case it's re-occurred a few times when the thyroid hormone got out of whack again, but that doesn't happen for everyone.

If you do have this or something similar, oils or garlic etc, aren't going to have much effect. It COULD also be something like an iron or vitamin D deficiency - but there's no point supplementing with things like that unless you know it's the cause of the shedding (taking un-needed supplements can also cause health problems - including shedding)

enlightened
April 7th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I have made a dr.s appointment although i do wonder how seriously it will be taken. I think i will just show her what i mean by running my hair through my hair if she doesn't believe me and show her the strands that come out :( I will request blood test to see if its hormones? I do hope i am taken seriously but with NHS cuts, i think dr.s are trying to cut corners but i guess i just have to be insistent.

I will keep you updated. Thank you for your advice. I just received my ayurvedic hair oil today so will start to use that and let you all know if it helps

I use OJON hair products and the restorative hair treatment. As for stress levels, they have been up and down but the shedding has been going one for a while and i just ended up thinking it was 'normal'. But looking at how often i have to vacuum and how much hair is on carpet daily is heartbreaking and alarming. its about time i got it checked out.

Thank you all for helping with your input. Sending love, light and strong healthy hair vibes to you all :) hugs

enlightened
April 7th, 2012, 10:04 AM
i meant running my hands through my hair... *sorry* :/

ThisDreamer
April 7th, 2012, 01:34 PM
When my hair was shedding excessively (and i do mean excessively) I used Herb garden shampoo bar from Chagrinvalleysoapsandsalves. It stopped after one wash with it, I kid you not. That was 4-5 month ago and my hair shedding has not come back since, though i will use it about once a month to ensure the shedding doesn't come back. I would suggest a vinegar rinse after using it however as it does roughen up my hair, but just a bit.

MonaMayfair
April 8th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Good luck with your doctors appointment enlightened!

It's definitely the sensible thing to find out if a health problem is the cause. If not, there are various things that HAVE helped people, it's just trial and error!

enlightened
April 8th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Good luck with your doctors appointment enlightened!

It's definitely the sensible thing to find out if a health problem is the cause. If not, there are various things that HAVE helped people, it's just trial and error!

Thank you so much. Its on Wednesday but i guess i will have to wait to schedule the blood tests upon Dr.s approval. Let's hope it works out ok because it's frightening. I will keep you all updated. Thank you again for your support. :)

Thank you to everyone who has replied! :D You guys are great. HAPPY EASTER!! :D

hellucy
April 8th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Regardless of the NHS cut's you need to be taken seriously by any Dr you go to with health concerns, If he/she doesn't take you seriously you are perfectly entitled to see a different Dr at the same surgery for a second opinion.
It may help if you also have a recent pre-shed photo that will show the difference the shedding has made to your overall hair volume.
Also it may help if you have an idea of what you would like to be the course of action taken, ie blood tests for deficiencys, often Dr's have such a short time to see each patient it can really help you get the best treatment.
Good Luck for wednesday. :grouphug:

malwes
April 8th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Regardless of the NHS cut's you need to be taken seriously by any Dr you go to with health concerns, If he/she doesn't take you seriously you are perfectly entitled to see a different Dr at the same surgery for a second opinion.
It may help if you also have a recent pre-shed photo that will show the difference the shedding has made to your overall hair volume.
Also it may help if you have an idea of what you would like to be the course of action taken, ie blood tests for deficiencys, often Dr's have such a short time to see each patient it can really help you get the best treatment.

Every time I observed significant shedding I went to the doctor. Always she/he tested my blood for regular morphology and additionally hormones
- progesterone/estrogen/testosterone/Dhea-S
thyroid:
- TSH, FT4 (also FT3 if he wants but not necessary) but also Anti-TPO and Anti-TG
and biochemistry
- iron, zincus, potassium, vit D, etc

Twice it was my thyroid (overreacting) and once just oberall tiredness.
I cannot imagine any doctor not taking this seriously. NHS cuts are everywhere but it does not justifies any doctor ignorance.

enlightened
April 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Hellucy :) thank you so much for your support. I will definitely push my case forward for her to take seriously.

Sadly I dont have a before picture... I hate photographs but in some ways i wish i could have collected the amount of hair a shed in a week, put it in a zip lock bag and show her. If needs be, and i need a second opinion from another dr then i will definitely do that. That will be evidence to support it. To look at it looks like i have thick hair, but i have lost a fair bit of volume. :(

Thank you again for your comment and advice. I really appreciate it. ((HUGS))

Every time I observed significant shedding I went to the doctor. Always she/he tested my blood for regular morphology and additionally hormones
- progesterone/estrogen/testosterone/Dhea-S
thyroid:
- TSH, FT4 (also FT3 if he wants but not necessary) but also Anti-TPO and Anti-TG
and biochemistry
- iron, zincus, potassium, vit D, etc

Twice it was my thyroid (overreacting) and once just oberall tiredness.
I cannot imagine any doctor not taking this seriously. NHS cuts are everywhere but it does not justifies any doctor ignorance.

Mawles :) Thank you so much for your advice. when i go to dr. she usually just says blood tests and doesn't always break down what's what... :( I guess i will write down everything here and ask to have bloods done and she if she has anything to suggest or add. I can tell the nurse too when i get an appointment. I swear this doctor's visit is going to be a nightmare. I have a list of things... *sigh* anyway it has to be done and i will persist in getting the treatment.

Without advice and support you can just feel lost and overwhelmed but now i feel like i am doing the right thing and not just making a mountain of a molehill. I shall persist in getting the bloods. hat should clear up what may be the issue here.

NHS cuts are forcing dr.s to cut corners. Its really quite sad but i sometimes think that they see hair as a vanity issue rather than a health concern and fob you off. However it seems obvious that this can be a symptom of other things not being right.

Thank you again ((HUGS))

bahoban
April 8th, 2012, 11:30 PM
try to use Castor Oil, have rescued me for my shedding immediately!

Hairizona
April 9th, 2012, 07:08 AM
If you are past 35 years old and in the neighborhood of perimenopause, your progesterone levels may begin to drop significantly. On top of that, if you are already estrogen dominant (causes issues of PMS, very heavy bleeding during menses, endometriosis, adenomyosis, uterine fibroids, fibrocystic breasts, low normal levels of T3 and T4 but causing symptoms of low thyroid eg depression,weight gain, cold hands and feet, fatigue etc.) and your progesterone levels drop (can also be d/t stress and anxiety, as the progesterone is then used to replenish your adrenals d/t adrenal stress/fatigue, rather than used to oppose the negative effects of estrogen), this can cause a big increase in shedding. Normally, in a monthly cycle with monthly ovulation, a woman will ovulate, which signals the release of progesterone from the corpus luteum from around day 14-16 through day 25-28 or there about- depends on the individual cycle. At around age 35, or any age after, there will/may be cycles where no egg is released, which means no progesterone is produced. At some point, ovulation ceases altogether. When no progesterone is produced by the corpus luteum- whether some month here and there, every other month, or monthly ( monthly meaning you are annovulatory), it results in estrogen being unopposed in the body with a number of unpleasant symptoms listed above; among them, increased shedding of hair on the head.
When the menses start being longer, shorter, skipping, heavier, or lighter, becoming painful or more painful etc, the added symptoms of hot flashes and night sweats may begin, though this is not a requisite for every woman going through menopause/ perimenopause.
There is another cause that contributes to these issues, so to the shedding of hair; that is a build up of xenoestrogens and/or phytoestrogens in the body. These estrogens flood the estrogen receptors in the body along with your own estrogen that your body reproduces, and this can cause estrogen dominance. This also results in too much estrogen to not enough progesterone- in the end, among other symptoms, increased hair shedding/loss.
Progesterone is the pregnancy hormone; it increases from 20 to 40mg/day up to about 400mg/day during pregnancy. That is why so many women experience a huge amount of hair growth and thickening of their hair when pregnant. When a woman goes into labor, the progesterone levels have dropped to zero, and are often like that for months following the birth of their baby/ies. This is why the hair sheds occur- also post partum depression/ or post partum psychosis in some women- change of hormones.
It is more involved than I have presented, with variables for each individual woman; this is not a generalization by any means. This is a simple explanation on my part, in an attempt to provide some food for thought that may be overlooked.
These issues are not always recognised or addressed by many mainstream physicians.
Hope this helps!

enlightened
April 11th, 2012, 03:35 PM
try to use Castor Oil, have rescued me for my shedding immediately!

Thank you for your reply Bahoban. I might try it after i have tried the oil i mentioned in my first post. I am glad to hear that castor oil helped you :)

If you are past 35 years old and in the neighborhood of perimenopause, your progesterone levels may begin to drop significantly. On top of that, if you are already estrogen dominant (causes issues of PMS, very heavy bleeding during menses, endometriosis, adenomyosis, uterine fibroids, fibrocystic breasts, low normal levels of T3 and T4 but causing symptoms of low thyroid eg depression,weight gain, cold hands and feet, fatigue etc.) and your progesterone levels drop (can also be d/t stress and anxiety, as the progesterone is then used to replenish your adrenals d/t adrenal stress/fatigue, rather than used to oppose the negative effects of estrogen), this can cause a big increase in shedding. Normally, in a monthly cycle with monthly ovulation, a woman will ovulate, which signals the release of progesterone from the corpus luteum from around day 14-16 through day 25-28 or there about- depends on the individual cycle. At around age 35, or any age after, there will/may be cycles where no egg is released, which means no progesterone is produced. At some point, ovulation ceases altogether. When no progesterone is produced by the corpus luteum- whether some month here and there, every other month, or monthly ( monthly meaning you are annovulatory), it results in estrogen being unopposed in the body with a number of unpleasant symptoms listed above; among them, increased shedding of hair on the head.
When the menses start being longer, shorter, skipping, heavier, or lighter, becoming painful or more painful etc, the added symptoms of hot flashes and night sweats may begin, though this is not a requisite for every woman going through menopause/ perimenopause.
There is another cause that contributes to these issues, so to the shedding of hair; that is a build up of xenoestrogens and/or phytoestrogens in the body. These estrogens flood the estrogen receptors in the body along with your own estrogen that your body reproduces, and this can cause estrogen dominance. This also results in too much estrogen to not enough progesterone- in the end, among other symptoms, increased hair shedding/loss.
Progesterone is the pregnancy hormone; it increases from 20 to 40mg/day up to about 400mg/day during pregnancy. That is why so many women experience a huge amount of hair growth and thickening of their hair when pregnant. When a woman goes into labor, the progesterone levels have dropped to zero, and are often like that for months following the birth of their baby/ies. This is why the hair sheds occur- also post partum depression/ or post partum psychosis in some women- change of hormones.
It is more involved than I have presented, with variables for each individual woman; this is not a generalization by any means. This is a simple explanation on my part, in an attempt to provide some food for thought that may be overlooked.
These issues are not always recognised or addressed by many mainstream physicians.
Hope this helps!

Hairizona I haven't hit 35 yet but i really found your explanations informative and helpful. found your input extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to shed some light on how hormones and other things interact in the body to cause shedding.

UPDATE:

I went to the doctor today and i have been scheduled for blood tests, but she thinks i ought to wait for the hormonal tests :mad: :rolleyes:
I am going to have my blood taken tomorrow and will explain to the nurse that the tests are due to my hair shedding and it is important that hormones are tested, especially testosterone which can cause shedding too. Stupid doctors... i really dont have the time to make and appointment drive in and pay for parking when i have alot on my plate. It only serves to increase my stress levels more. I am hoping the nurse can put in for those hormone tests as well a full blood biochemistry check up.

I will keep you all updated with the results. Wish me luck. Thank you again for all your comments and support. You are all great :grouphug: :)

Anje
April 11th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Um, thyroid hormones are hormones and are often correlated with excessive shedding and/or with extremely slow hair growth. Take it seriously.

enlightened
April 11th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Um, thyroid hormones are hormones and are often correlated with excessive shedding and/or with extremely slow hair growth. Take it seriously.

Thank you Anje. I will be tested for that. will let you know what the results reveal.

enlightened
April 12th, 2012, 04:24 AM
I had my blood tests today. Its a full blood count, thyroid levels, iron levels, liver and kidney function. However she didn't put me down for checking hormones like oestrogen, progesterone or testosterone. I feel a bit annoyed because she could have easily sanctioned the extra tests but refused to do so and fobbed me off. It's upset me if I am honest.

The results will be out next week so I think I will make an appointment to see a different doctor as my usual GP won't have an appointment available till the first week of May. To be honest I don't really want to see her because I really feel like she isn't trying to understand my anxieties and is reluctant to do anything extra to help me. I think she should have at least checked the sex hormones given I was having blood tests already. It's really got to me but I suppose I will just have to be patient and see what comes up. It could very well be thyroid function for all I know?

Will keep you all updated with results.

Thank you again for taking the time to read and help.

DancingQueen
April 12th, 2012, 05:12 AM
I didn't read all the replies, so I am not shire if it have already been suggested. If it is really bad, you might want to try biotin. But it could also be, that you had seem to shed more, because the hairs are longer?

Either way, I can't see what hair type you are. But, I know that some hair types shed less when they use products with cones, than without. I know, that when I oil my hair, and use cone-free conditioner, my hair shed more, than when I just use a normal, coney conditioner. Hope you will figure it out. :)

swearnsue
April 15th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Be sure to let us know what the test results show. Depending on the results, we may have more suggestions to help you. OK?

Littlewing13
April 16th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I definitely agree see a doctor. Most common causes for shedding are stress & pregnancy, but other things can come into it too.

I've read recently about using soapnuts/shikakai instead of shampoo, which is supposed to help. Also MSM supposedly increases the anagen phase of hair growth.
Also I find weekly henna (possibly cassia?) glosses to help, but you wanna look into that & research thoroughly as it doesnt come out like colour & stains hair red permanently.