PDA

View Full Version : To Layer or Not to Layer

EmmaAlex
April 6th, 2012, 11:16 AM
...That is the question.

So I've seen a bunch of you beautiful people with no layers, or desperately hoping to grow out layers. Loads of you seem to be labeling them as your worst hair mistake, or biggest hair-insecurity.

I just wondered why. Personally, I love layered hair and am considering getting my layers cut again.
What do you think the benefits of a blunt cut are for you? Is there a reason I should reconsider my layer-love?

What are your thoughts on layers - are you a lover/hater or just generally indifferent?

P.S forgive me if there are a zillion other posts like this. Feel free to delete if its a repeat. =)

darklyndsea
April 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I think that the main reason is that a lot of us wear our hair up a lot, and layers make updos harder.

morguebabe
April 6th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I tend to love/hate them. I love the way my looks with them down. I hate them for braids updos.

Amber_Maiden
April 6th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I like my layers! I still were my hair up most of the time, but I still love them :)

Vallena
April 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I don't like mine because they mess up my updos! They looked nice at the time, and I think they look fantastic on other people, but I feel they are holding me back from doing more buns/braids/etc. But if you have them and love them, stick with it!

mzBANGBANG
April 6th, 2012, 11:27 AM
You know... I dreaded my layers the more I came here, and was set on growing them out. I accidentally gave myself face framing layers in the front (chickened out while attempting to cut a full fringe, lol) and was seriously angry at myself.

I looked at it today, and my goodness my hair looks so much healthier and prettier! I'm considering getting more layers now. I feel like I see all of these beautiful heads of hair on here and I start to think "Wow, I want to look exactly like that!" to the point where I forget what works for me.

heidi w.
April 6th, 2012, 11:31 AM
...That is the question.

So I've seen a bunch of you beautiful people with no layers, or desperately hoping to grow out layers. Loads of you seem to be labeling them as your worst hair mistake, or biggest hair-insecurity.

I just wondered why. Personally, I love layered hair and am considering getting my layers cut again.
What do you think the benefits of a blunt cut are for you? Is there a reason I should reconsider my layer-love?

What are your thoughts on layers - are you a lover/hater or just generally indifferent?

P.S forgive me if there are a zillion other posts like this. Feel free to delete if its a repeat. =)

The problem with layers in the paradigm of growing hair fairly long is that it cuts hair at all manner of different lengths. This can affect how long it takes to then grow it all out and how long. I suggest you need to possibly really think about your hair goals: do you want layers or do you want, eventually, really long hair? If the latter, I would not cutting in layers as this can also create thinness in areas as one grows longer.

It's just a viewpoint. LHC can function in both ways, support growing hair longer and support in having healthier hair whatever length or style one chooses. But the two do not necessarily correlate. This is a long hair site, so most people are responding from the idea that we all think you are looking to eventually have longer hair.

heidi w.

UltraBella
April 6th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I completely LOVE my layers, I am a bit layer obsessed :) They work wonderfully for my hair, the more the better is my motto. I know they are definitely not for everyone, but I have never had a problem putting my hair up and I don't braid often, so the layers don't complicate anything for me.

If you love layers in your hair then I don't see a reason not to have them.

littleizz
April 6th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Layers are a pain when it comes to braids and updos. Flyaways and chunks sticking out aaaalll over da place.

For me, though, I wear my hair down enough that the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages for me. My hair isn't ridiculously thick, but with my curls, it would be very unflattering and lifeless if it were all the same length. Layers give it a lot of life and movement, even on straight hair I think they're very good-looking if you wear your hair down very often :)

Raiscake
April 6th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I'm sort of trying to grow out mine. I'd like some layers, but not too much and not too short. I have layers right now that are still APL, and they tend to flip out on me. Drives me nuts. I'd like them to be longer.

spidermom
April 6th, 2012, 12:09 PM
My only objection to layers right now is that I want to see how long my hair will grow, and layers would make my longest layer thin.

EmmaAlex
April 6th, 2012, 12:14 PM
The problem with layers in the paradigm of growing hair fairly long is that it cuts hair at all manner of different lengths. This can affect how long it takes to then grow it all out and how long. I suggest you need to possibly really think about your hair goals: do you want layers or do you want, eventually, really long hair? If the latter, I would not cutting in layers as this can also create thinness in areas as one grows longer.

It's just a viewpoint. LHC can function in both ways, support growing hair longer and support in having healthier hair whatever length or style one chooses. But the two do not necessarily correlate. This is a long hair site, so most people are responding from the idea that we all think you are looking to eventually have longer hair.

I completely understand this, but I think it's possible to have hair both long and layered. For me, long hair doesn't mean un-layered hair. My goal is still to have long hair, but not for it all to be the same length. I see length to be more or less the 'bottom' layer.

I guess the main reason it doesn't bother me is because I hardly ever have my hair up. I still have a slight fear of having my ears on show - it always makes me feel really self conscious, silly as that sounds.

Thanks for the comments guys <3

Roscata
April 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I chopped off about 10 inches last year to get rid of my layers, I had them because I started growing my hair from a pixie cut.

What do you think the benefits of a blunt cut are for you?
My buns and braids look a lot neater, without chunks of hair slipping out all over the place. My hemline is a lot thicker and I like how my hair looks in photos now, as opposed to the time I could see through my last 2-3 layers.

Is there a reason I should reconsider my layer-love?
Only if you don't like messy looking updos, or you want to have a thick as it can be hemline. Depending on your genes and how long you want to grow your hair, you probably will end up with natural taper that give an effect similar to layers anyway.

I'm not a fan at all. I love having neat braids and I don't see the point in loosing my hemline thickness. I almost never wear it down so I don't need "movement" and my hair isn't very thick so I don't want to lose even more thickness, I have none to spare! lol

ETA: You can cover your ears with hair when doing an updo (example (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=buns+with+hair+covering+ears&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1006&bih=931&tbm=isch&tbnid=p4Th-CVNRc8n_M:&imgrefurl=http://hairstyletrendsfor.com/1797/5-hair-trends-for-spring-summer-2011.html&docid=MkhSrcW-oQ8FVM&imgurl=http://hairstyletrendsfor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/low-bun.jpg&w=500&h=333&ei=4zN_T_eTGonXiAL_x9yvAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=225&vpy=58&dur=32&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=161&ty=110&sig=113939605455393690593&page=1&tbnh=124&tbnw=186&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:71))

Nedertane
April 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Personally, I love my layers. They provide more interesting movement and taper. Some people look lovely with blunt hemlines, but I am not one of them. I admit that I cringe when I look at pre-layer pictures of me, because my ends just remind me of a paintbrush Lol. Plus, I wear my hair loose the majority of the time, so I needn't worry about how it affects updos. Consider your hair type, length/goal length, the length of layers you'd want. And take a look at those with the same or a similar hair type, and see how they liked them (or didn't). :)

elbow chic
April 6th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I like my braids too much for layers, even tho I liked them when I had them.

Plus maintaining layers while retaining length requires a good, trustworthy stylist... at thirty or forty bucks a pop! ;)

turtlelover
April 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I absolutely love layers on curly and wavy hair and have trouble handling my hair w/out them. On straight hair, I like layers on hair around APL and above, but for hair longer than that, I tend to like a blunt, swingy hemline, though some framing around the face can be pretty. I've never cared for the extensively razored, texturized flat-ironed straight looks on longer hair. But in the end, you have to figure out what YOU like and go with that, since your opinion is what really matters! :)

carolinaberry
April 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I hate my layers b/c my hair is so short...and I didn't want layers to begin with. I had a bad cut with chunky layers cut in AND those weird thinning shears taken to all of my hair, so now that it is growing out, it just doesn't look good at all, and it will take me a long time to get it all long enough that I can consider myself really working on length. However, I think long layers on long hair of a certain texture look fabulous. I don't think they really do anything for ultra-fine hair, but for thick or curly hair they look amazing!

Iolanthe13
April 6th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Do you know your hair type?

I'm happy with my layers - even when I was cutting them myself (NOT recommended!) they made my hair bouncier and less "triangular", and brought out the waves and curls. My hair is quite fine, but there's plenty of it; before the layers, it often looked flat on top. That said, they are a major nuisance to braid.

I think a blunt cut often looks better on people with stick-straight hair, though, and my friend with really curly long hair (3c or so) says a blunt cut makes it more manageable.

EmmaAlex
April 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Do you know your hair type?

....Kind of :D
I've been reluctant to properly work out my hair type because it's really changeable.
I get a keratin treatment on my hair every four or so months, which makes my hair slightly straighter. I love keratin, it just makes my hair feel so much healthier, and lets me go out feeling fine without having done anything to my hair. So far as I know it's hair-friendly.
Without keratin - http://i39.tinypic.com/10eq0ic.jpg
Half worn off keratin - http://i44.tinypic.com/28slg10.jpg
Please excuse the lack of combing and bad picture quality. These were pre-LHC :P
In short, my hair is always in a medium-wavey/curly state, but I haven't really classed it yet.

General consensus of opinion seems to be that layers work well with curls, on hair that isn't tied up a whole lot. I think that sounds mostly like me? :D

Kittyxx
April 6th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I think the most annoying thing about layers is that once you get them you're kinda stuck with them - they just take sooo long to grow out
plus I don't think there's really a graceful way to grow them out - you have to be willing to have untidy hair for a bit

Bagginslover
April 6th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I have layers, and I plan to grow them out in the majority of my hair, but keep them around my face as it looks softer on me that way ;)

I do find braids, and buns very difficult to do neatly, as the layers poke out everywhere. I am lucky to have thick hair, so even with my layers I have a good hemline, but that isn't the case for everyone.

If you want to try layers, try them, if you don't like them you can grow them out again. Maybe begin with a long layer, and add shorter ones if you like that? It really depends on what your goals are :)

Littlewing13
April 7th, 2012, 02:25 AM
I completely understand this, but I think it's possible to have hair both long and layered. For me, long hair doesn't mean un-layered hair. My goal is still to have long hair, but not for it all to be the same length. I see length to be more or less the 'bottom' layer.

I guess the main reason it doesn't bother me is because I hardly ever have my hair up. I still have a slight fear of having my ears on show - it always makes me feel really self conscious, silly as that sounds.

Thanks for the comments guys <3

Layers mean that more hair is exposed to the elements which means that it can damage/break easier. It really depends on your hairs strength, thickness and how long you want to grow it. eg I know that my fine hair will take extra care to get to tbl so in my case layers probably wont be an option. If your goal is only bsl or if you have thick & strong hair you may be able to grow to classic or longer with layers.

coldclarity
April 7th, 2012, 04:29 AM
It depends on your personal aesthetic. If you like the way they look, go for it. I have thick curly hair, so I'm very much a fan of layers. My hair would be a bushy triangle without them and my hemline would just look too thick for me. I really like the movement they give my hair, and I love messy buns with them poking out and starting to curl. My hair is thick enough that they aren't really causing my any problems yet between APL/BSL. And my hair braids fine too, just with few bits poking out ;)

MonaMayfair
April 7th, 2012, 05:18 AM
I had layers cut in last January and if my hair was thicker (I lost a lot due to thyroid issues, though it's still not "thin" looking) I'd have had lots more layering.

I don't like the look of one length hair and I don't like updos.

The only issue is, it makes braids untidy and I have to redo them more often (which I was prepared for) apart from that, I'm really glad I had it done.

My hair's about mid back at the moment (I had what was probably a couple of inches or so cut off when I had it layered - there was a LOT of hair on the floor anyway) and I'm probably going to grow it to waist.

ptricia
April 7th, 2012, 05:45 AM
I'm trying to get rid of my layers. I'm growing my hair since june 2010. It has grown from APL tot over BSL. Every time I go to a hairdresser I let them cut 2-4 cm of the bottom en 0,5 or 1 cm of the layers. It takens for ever to get rid of the layers. And I hate the way little strands of hair sticking out of my braids and updos....

Red89
April 7th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with my layers. My hair is shoulder length. I'm working on growing out a slingback that was pretty short so my layers are awkward more than anything. I hate the way they taper down on the ends of my braids and how they stick out of updos. That being said, I have pretty thick hair and petite features so I have always felt that layers added a bit of shape to my face and not so much heaviness. I also have a hard time with my hair looking the same for too long so I have been known to add layers just to change it up a bit.

I think what I want to do is forgo any new layers until I reach my goal (hip) and then decided what to do from there. That is if I can make it that long. With it starting to get hot I want to cut my hair off everyday!!

jacqueline101
April 7th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I have a v hem line nature gave it to me. I have learned to like and do up dos with it. I think it makes some up dos a challenge.

blondie9912
April 7th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I think it's the amount of layers on the type of hair that matters. On fine hair like mine, I don't think there's much point to having layers that start at ear-length, because the ends of my hair would be pitifully thin. That said, I don't usually like COMPLETELY blunt hemlines, so I'd be looking to have some long layers (around 1-2 inches shorter than my hair) cut in for movement.

Again, it's all down to your personal opinion. Like Ultrabella said, she loves layers and can't get enough of them. However, if someone with my hair type had the amount of layers she has, it would go from looking fabulous on her to flat on me. I would say try growing out your hair without/with minimal layers, and then if you realize when you approach your goal length that it isn't giving you the shape you desire, you can always have layers cut in.

Good luck! :)

CharleaMurphy
April 7th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I have chin length layers, but my longest layers are BSL
I hate my layers and I want them to just disappear
My advice would be if you do want layers don't go for anything too dramatic (stick to something close-ish to your longest layers) and work your way up because if you hate it it's terrible to grow out. :rolleyes:

Sillage
April 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM

I think it really depends on the look you're after but I personally really love layers in wavy hair. It creates a beautiful shape and a more textured, dimensional look. For my own hair which is pretty straight, I prefer to have a blunt cut. It makes updos easier and I love the nice thick hemline I get. Then again, I've seen people with straight and layered hair which looks fantastic.... I guess it's all on a case by case basis. :D

Bianca
April 7th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I love layers. Makes my hair less just-hanging-there-ish... And gives me more wave/curl. Dont wear my hair up much though, and not going for extreme lenghts. Only hip.

HintOfMint
April 7th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I love layers. Love love love them. That being said, I've had some bad ones that have made me skittish of them and determined to grow them out.

But once I did, my hair was so heavy and blunt looking. I have relatively thick wavy hair that is coarse, and so the weight made it really flat at the top and super heavy at the bottom.

Right now I have layers in my hair that I like but I want to grow longer, but not get rid of entirely. I just want the layers to be longer and more gradual.

I do sometimes want the more classic look of one length thick hair. It seems less modern and trendy, and more... I don't know... old fashioned (in a good way)? Classic? Pure? I know those are strange terms to use, but it seems so opposite of the Kim Kardashian image of long but very layered trendy hair in a good way.

But then I realize that I need layers, and the urge goes away.

Hollyfire3
April 7th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I love layers. Love love love them. That being said, I've had some bad ones that have made me skittish of them and determined to grow them out.

But once I did, my hair was so heavy and blunt looking. I have relatively thick wavy hair that is coarse, and so the weight made it really flat at the top and super heavy at the bottom.

Right now I have layers in my hair that I like but I want to grow longer, but not get rid of entirely. I just want the layers to be longer and more gradual.

I do sometimes want the more classic look of one length thick hair. It seems less modern and trendy, and more... I don't know... old fashioned (in a good way)? Classic? Pure? I know those are strange terms to use, but it seems so opposite of the Kim Kardashian image of long but very layered trendy hair in a good way.

But then I realize that I need layers, and the urge goes away.

This, my hair (when un damaged by heat) is longer than APL, it just, poofs, it is thick and wurly and just, heavy. After a bad 3 year long experiece with a hair dresser who put layers in my hair (they turned out to be random chunks taken out of my hair, NOT pretty at all) i found a new, better stylist and had one long layer put in, this helps the hemline look so blunt and full but i still get movement, i LOVE it and plan to keep it this way or all one length possibly when i reach WL HintOfMint, i understand wanting a more classic look, i am going for this also, i don't do trendy, it just doesn't agree with me, i have been described as a more "natural type" person by many, and if i try and do bright, crazy tendy anything, i look overdone and just, bad. So i like layers when cut right and they are necessary for thicker hair that poofs (like mine) IMO

Kristin
April 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I LOVE my layers! My hair looks so much better down, has more volume in the crown, and can actually hold (a little) curl with layers. They do complicate braids, but the messy braid look is in. I think updos are actually easier if you have thick hair with layers, rather than without, but that's just my experience.

ladylowtide
April 7th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I have somewhat thin hair, so I think the layers just makes the ends look to thin for my taste. I am growing them out so that the layers start at a more flattering length like waist or hip. Just my 2 cents.

eicamawa
April 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I have pretty straight hair, but I loved my hair with layers in it, it made much more curls and life in it. But as I decided to grow my hair long, I prefer my hair without layers to try to keep most of my tickness all the way down, as I'm not a fan of fairytale ends on myself :)

Nev
April 7th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I have layers and I think it just looks better on me than a blunt cut. My hair's not so heavy and I think they bring out the waves in my hair better. Also I'm not planning on ever going past hip. In my opinion, layers wouldn't work on lengths longer than that, atleast with my hair thickness.
So I guess it depends on what you want.

Anywhere
April 7th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Layers make my ends too thin, so I don't like them.

BeccaAngel
April 7th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I've always gone back and forth on whether I want layers again or not. Yea, its easier to braid without them. But I rarely wear my hair up honestly, so why not? :)

Tisiloves
April 7th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Layers do not play well with my hair, especially atm where my shortest ones are ear length forget how bad they make plaits and updos look, even with my hair down they tend to seperate out into weird spikey mullety-ness a la Tina Turner.

TheMechaGinger
April 7th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I can't stand layers, which is why I cut them all out even though it set me back about six inches. But that's because I want tailbone hair and I love updos. So it really is like a previous poster said, if you want shorter hair to wear down more often then layers are awesome but if not they're a total pain

Kayla Nyx
April 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Main reason I hacked 6 inches off mine! I hated them. like others have mentioned, you can't braid very well with them, and chunks stick out when you try to put it up. Blah!

Singinghoneybee
April 7th, 2012, 10:41 PM
My face looks thin and pinched if I don't have a few wisps to frame it. Other then that, I don't notice them. Of course, my hair isn't long enough yet to put up into an up-do.

kidari
April 8th, 2012, 01:33 AM
If you plan on growing your hair really long then one length is best. The only layers would be some face framing ones or bangs. The thinner your hair and the straighter your hair, the shorter it needs to be to be more heavily layered. I unfortunately fell victim to this. So for someone like me who likes to wear their hair down a lot, sacrificing length to have more of what suits my needs is something I can live with.

julliams
April 8th, 2012, 01:55 AM
I hated my layers because they were simply not done properly for my hair. Long layers work really well and don't give me the "verandah out the back" that shorter layers do.

I grew all my hair to one length and it just didn't suit me and I felt made me look heavier. I have alot of hair so layering allows me to keep the length but manage it a little easier. Buns and braids are not a problem for me at all.

arabicfrizz
April 8th, 2012, 03:53 AM
New to growing my hair out this time around, I have layers already cut into my shoulder-length loosely curly hair. While I'm not a fan of my current layering job or the bangs (bad pro stylist choice), my hair needs layers to help it appear full and to allow the curls to be springy. In the past when I've let my hair grow out without trimmings and layering added it's appeared flat and dull.

So, my personal gameplan is maybe a little layer clean-up once more, then let it all grow. Especially the bangs. May they never be this short again.