PDA

View Full Version : Blunt vs Tapered

CharleaMurphy
April 6th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I'm talking about hemlines here
I've noticed some people have really thick blunt hemlines and others have more tapering wispy hemlines
I was wondering which you all prefer :)

Personally I like the look of a slightly tapered hemline

MissHair
April 6th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I love tapered/fairytale hemline on others but on me I just look ill for some reason if my hair is thinning. Which is why I only prefer a thick blunt hemline on myself. Even layers don't work on me, just the thinning don't suit everyone. I wish I could do fairytale ends but at least not on this lenght. Maybe if I was tailbone lenght, then.

littleizz
April 6th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I like something in the middle :) I like fairy-tale ends, but for whatever reason I think they look best on blondes with straight and somewhat thinner hair. My hair doesn't meet any of these criteria, but I don't think blunt hemlines are very flattering, IMO, so I go with a cleanly trimmed, but layered V for some movement and shape. So I guess you could say tapered, but not wispy :)

Vallena
April 6th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I tend to prefer fuller hemlines, but it always depends on the person and their hair. And really, its not my business to tell people how to maintain their hair, despite what I may think about it.

JellyBene
April 6th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I think both are really beautiful but I like the thick, blunt hemline the best! I also like a U shaped hemline.

morguebabe
April 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I like blunt ends.... I've had both and my hair looks better with blunt ends. BUT I've seen some people look amazing with fairy tale ends. I think it really depends on your hair. For me fairytale ends look messy on MY hair.

spidermom
April 6th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I don't like blunt so much, but I do like the U-hem.
I can tell when my ends start to fairy-tale because those wispy ends snarl up something terrible.

millyaulait
April 6th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I think it depends on the type of hair.

I *love* fairytale ends on others, but not on me!

For myself I long for a full v-line hem.

Perelka74
April 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I like the nice full blunt hemline but my hair has a mind of it's own and for some reason does the V shape , I am thinking that once I get BSL I will try to keep it blunt and then go for waist . BSL by christmas 2012 .

cooklaezo13
April 6th, 2012, 10:07 AM
For my own hair, I prefer a blunt hemline. The more wispy look is great on others though.

BrightEyes
April 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM
For my fine and somewhat thin hair, I'm hoping for a blunt hemline with a slight U-shape. I think tapered ends look pretty on thick wavy tailbone or longer length hair.

Seeshami
April 6th, 2012, 10:09 AM
The naughty mess has never been blunt. I imagine he would protest because it's different and may make life easier. Who knows, I will never cut my hair again, just trim. Unless I get possessed and can't be reasoned with but I can't ever see a bob or pixie in my future again. Super cute hair styles out there but not imo for my face.

luxepiggy
April 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I love my super-blunt hemline, for several reasons. First, it helps create an illusion of width in my hip area, which gives my rectangle-shaped body some welcome curves. Second, I think it looks more striking and dramatic, which is a better match for my personal style. Finally, now that hair extensions are so popular, there are lots of girls sporting long-ish hair in my area. But the all-one-length blunt hemline remains nearly impossible to achieve with extensions, so my hair still looks relatively unique (^(oo)^)v

Amber_Maiden
April 6th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I love tapered hemlines- but sadly, I don't think my hair will ever do it. It doesn't seem to be thinning on my longer ends.

misspurdy06
April 6th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Blunt reminds me of childrens hair. Simple and inexpensive.

I like a slight taper. More mature and sexy.

CharleaMurphy
April 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I think my hemline will probably bush out like it did when I was a kid,
*Sigh*

ArienEllariel
April 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I like a V shaped hemline or fairytale ends but a U shape is also nice. I think it really depends on the person and how long their hair is. I pretty much like any hemline but might perfer one over the other on a person by person basis.

MaryMarx
April 6th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I like blunt ones, but I'll never have one myself. :p

Vampyria
April 6th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I prefer blunt ends, because my hair got really thin due to hair dyeing and flat ironing. So I'm still struggling to make it look as thick as I can.

Kittyxx
April 6th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Mine's blunt at the moment but I'm hoping to go for a U hemline when it gets longer
I agree that it depends on the person though

jeanniet
April 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM
My hair just does what it does, and we don't argue about it. :D If I wanted the fairytale look I'd have to be close to terminal, and I'm not there yet.

dwell_in_safety
April 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM
It is my opinion that blunt hemlines flatter straight hair, no wavier than 1b, while U or V shapes look best on the wavies and curlies. Right now I have a slight V shape, slightly exacerbated by a previous haircut that made some more drastic layers on the sides. They're growing back in and becoming a part of my hem, slowly and surely.

Darkessa
April 6th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Im VERY torn in what I eventually want.
I currently have layers all over the place, with a V/U shaped hemline.

I would love a blunt hemline for the ease of hairstyles and that THICK feeling and look.

But at the same time, I love the way that layers look while my hair is down. I also find it easier to manage/detangle with more layers.

I simply dont know what I like better. I guess I just want both at the same time... :D

turtlelover
April 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I like a blunt, slightly U shaped hemline on straight hair the best because I think it gives the hair the best "swing". On wavy and curly hair, I like it a bit more layered/tapered and slightly more V shaped to bring out the wave pattern and prevent the dreaded triangle shape.

Macaroni
April 6th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I like blunt because it makes it look thicker and it's stick straight so it looks good.

leslissocool
April 6th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I like both honestly!

I'm personally going for a thick blunt one., with maybe little FF layers depending on the length.

NymphSpirit
April 6th, 2012, 12:29 PM
It depends on the person/hair for me, for example, I have a friend with 2a hair that looks fantastic with tapered ends, and a more blunt hemline doesn't look very flattering, but another friend with 1a hair wouldn't look good with tapered ends, and so on. (In any casy I prefer the blunt hemline to be straight and/or U shaped, and the more tapered to be V or V-U shaped)

auburntressed
April 6th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I think different things look good on different people. For me, I hate my taper. I want my hair to be thick all the way down and have a slight U or V at the bottom... Probably a U, because I have a feeling my hair is too straight to pull off a V.

Cleopatra18
April 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM
i prefer a thick blunt hemline. Sadly my hair tapers so much so i have to trim very often to maintain thick ends.

Rhodugune
April 6th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I think both can look really good, it depends on the person and their hair.

I feel that tapered looks best on me and that's partly because while I was growing up I dreamt of really long beautiful hair with fairytaleendings, but in reality I had bsl hair with really blunt endings...I made me feel very unpretty, like I had my hair chopped off with hedge-shears...

lolot
April 6th, 2012, 01:52 PM
i usually dont like blunt but i have seen some in here that are pretty awesome, with blunt my hair tends to look flat so i prefer tapered
i think it depends on the type of hair

Mermaid.Kisses
April 6th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I really like the blunt look on others.
I have a U, I used to hate it but I guess it's ok now.

battles
April 6th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I prefer a wispy U hemline. My hair seems to grow in a U, so I think I could get there eventually.

Hollyfire3
April 6th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I LOVE my blunt hemline! I am sooooo happy I finnally have a non tappered one....it seems after just 9 months of quiting the flat iron, my hair has stopped breaking and is SO thick at the ends! I am hoping for HL at least hair with no taper (or very little). I think wispy hemlines look great on alot of people, but after wanting a blunt hemline and thinking it was unachievable (back before i knew what a flat iron could do to my poor hair, i mean, it was blunt when i cut it, but two weeks after a trim, it looked a bit worse each couple days until i went to trim a whole lot off again, my hemline was hiding from the heat!), it is the ultimate treat for me and i will never go back! I never had fairytail ends per-say, but it bothered me not to have a thick hemline, i like even and full on me, with one long, very long, layer throughout for movement, although i will probably end up mostly one length with face framing pieces when i hit HL.

embee
April 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Since I never wear my hair down or loose, I prefer fairytale ends.... they go into my updo much better.

I like the look of blunt/thick ends, but when I had them my updo suffered.

Firefly
April 6th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I much prefer tapered/fairy tale ends.

Quixii
April 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I tend not to prefer blunt hemlines. I like my own fairy tale ends, but I don't care much what other people decide do with their ends. (Though if they asked, I'd probably say at least a u-shape.)

Littlewing13
April 7th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Depends on length. APL-BSL I personally think looks better thick & blunt in maybe a U shape. Waist-TBL looks amazing in a deep v shape with maybe some layers. TBL+ I think looks amazing with fairytale ends so long as they aren't too thin. My personal opinion.

Hairfreaky
April 7th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I agree with Littlewing13: the longer the hair, the less I would prefer a blunt hemline. Past classic looks best with tapered ends in my opinion. ;)

Raiscake
April 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM
U-hemline is my favorite. I love the way it looks.

Oksana
April 7th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I prefer a blunt hemline because I love the feeling of thick healthy ends but If i was growing further than hip i would prefer a more tapered look.

MinderMutsig
April 7th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I've noticed while looking at pictures on here that a lot of blunt hemlines make me go "ooooh pretty" but even more fairytale ends, especially on wavy or curly hair beyond waist, make me go "WOW! Stunning!".

Which is kind of strange because for me, I absolutely hate fairytale ends on myself and do whatever I can to prevent them. Maybe it's a length thing and once I grow longer I change my mind and will let my hair fairytale but right now I can't imagine I'll ever go for it. If I imagine myself a few years down the line with long hair, I see myself with a blunt, U-shaped and maybe slightly layered hemline.

It's also a bodytype and personality thing though. I have a lot of body so I need a lot of hair to balance things. I think fairytale ends would accentuate things I'd rather not accentuate. I'm also not a girly, frilly, romantic kind of woman so fairytale ends don't really fit my personality. If you are (or appear to be) that kind of woman though, fairytale ends can give you a positively stunning and elfish appearance.

MinderMutsig
April 7th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I agree with Littlewing13: the longer the hair, the less I would prefer a blunt hemline. Past classic looks best with tapered ends in my opinion. ;) Have you seen JJJ longhair's hair? You'd think there's no such thing as perfection but she is getting pretty darn close! And with a blunt, straight hemline no less.

Hairfreaky
April 7th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Yes, I know her, and her hair is amazing! I'm not saying that it isn't possible to have a straight hemline at great lengths, I was just saying I usually prefer tapered ends in those cases. Just personal. Of course it's great when someone manages to have a hemline even at such lengths!

Or am I just justifying myself, since my ends are very thin? Allthough it is just as long, I will never have such perfect hair as JJJ! :(;)

MinderMutsig
April 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Oh hey, you're Dutch! I hadn't noticed. Hoi!

There's no need to justify yourself, we all have different preferences and we all have to work with what we have. ;)

Gladtobemom
April 7th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I prefer tapered, which is a good thing since it naturally gets that way in about 3 months after a trim.

When I cut back my hair tow just below waist, I did a Feye's V trim. It's holding up well, still have those darned racer hairs that grow so fast. I trimmed them off a couple of days ago.

Becky9679
April 7th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Either can look good though I have to say when I see someone with 1a straight hair past classic with a thick blunt hemline it makes me :thud:

That's one of my eventual goals - at the moment my hemline is very tapered as I'm growing out layers and I don't mind too much but I do really want to have that blunt hemline eventually once I've gained some length. We'll see where I'm at after finishing the 'no trims in 2012' challenge - at that point it will have been over 2 years since I've cut it and I should have gained enough length to do a chop without getting rid of all my progress!

jacqueline101
April 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
My hair has a natural v hem line I like it.

islandboo
April 7th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I have a very strong taper so there is a part of me that wants a blunt hemline very badly in a "grass is greener" kind of way (plus, piggy is one of my hair heroes and hers is breathtaking)

I have to confess, though, that taper is very handy for anchoring updos, so I should probably appreciate it more!

Kristin
April 7th, 2012, 02:41 PM
It depends. For myself, I prefer a layered cut with enough on the bottom layer that my hemline is still opaque. I think it looks better down/curled. I like blunt ends because I think they look better in braids. Fairy tale ends are pretty on curly hair, in my opinion.

darklyndsea
April 7th, 2012, 02:44 PM
On me, I prefer enough of a taper that I can tuck the ends in. Still waiting for that point to come around, and it's been almost a year since my last haircut... :/

Other than that, I don't really care one way or another. I don't wear my hair down, so it doesn't matter on me, and other people vary so much that I can't make any blanket statement about what I prefer on them.

ladylowtide
April 7th, 2012, 02:54 PM
On thinner, straighter hair, I prefer a blunt hemline. On thicker hair, wavy hair, curly hair, I love the look of more tapered ends, layers, etc.

PrincessIdril
April 7th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I like my tapered/fairytale ends, they suit me. I think it looks more natural than blunt ends especially when you have waves/curls like I do.

eicamawa
April 7th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I prefer a blunt hemline, at least on myself. And I prefer the hemline to be in a slight U shape, as to soften the hemline up a little. But I do think fairytale ends can look good too, just not on me :)

Lady Neeva
April 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM
It's definitely a in-between. I would like a blunt, but I'm going for tapering. (Because I'm too lazy to do anything else than S &D.)

HuggyBear
April 7th, 2012, 11:05 PM
My goal was to have thick ends but alas my hair has other ideas. My hair tapers a lot naturally so the only way for me to have those blunt ends is to chop my hair up to at least BSL. Ain't gonna happen! So I have embraced my fairytales and have learned to love them. ;)

ClassicalBlonde
April 8th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I love the look of a thick blunt hemline, although I like the look of slightly tapered hair too. I hope my hair will let me keep it blunt as I think it suits me best.

IanB
April 8th, 2012, 03:56 AM
I've just left it to do its own thing! :cheese:

Mesmerise
April 8th, 2012, 06:10 AM
To me it depends upon the length and texture of the hair. On shorter lengths of hair, I prefer a blunt hairline. I used to like it straight across... but now (especially on hair BSL+ in length) I prefer a U shape.

Curly or very wavy hair that is hip or longer, I like the look of fairytale ends. I don't so much like it with straight hair though, or even hair like mine that's just sort of wavyish. Although... this can also vary with the individual!

Sometimes I'll think I won't like something, but then I'll see it on someone and it will look quite pretty! When I first joined LHC I really thought any sort of fairytaled or badly tapered ends were horrible!! Then I saw some pictures of some really pretty hair and changed my mind. Before that I would have said blunt all the way!

I will also add, though, that it has to be healthy. If I saw fairytaled hair that was a mass of split and white dots, I wouldn't appreciate it at all.

EdG
April 8th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I would be stuck at waist-length if I wanted blunt ends.

Natural, tapered ends take a bit of getting used to since one doesn't often see that. Today, I would choose only natural ends. :cheese:
Ed